Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Piece of Work Wednesday Link Party Number 11!

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving week!!!  The kids are out of school, and we have been busy playing with friends, having my first ever parent-teacher conference, and taking a trip to IKEA.  And it's only Tuesday!  Tomorrow I think we are off to see Tangled, and then on Thanksgiving day I will (attempt to) run in my first 10K.  Then I won't feel so bad about the pumpkin cheesecake that awaits me.  When I am running uphill and wanting to stop, I will just keep repeating "Pumpkin cheesecake, Pumpkin cheesecake..." and that will get these legs to the end!
I have some tables to show you today that I found at my local Goodwill for $10 each.  They aren't my typical purchase, but lately, I have found a soft spot for mid-century modern.  Who knew?  Here they are post-sanding.... They were blonde, one had some veneer pulling up that needed gluing, but structurally sound otherwise.



I had plans for these bad boys!  I was excited to try something new.  I planned to remove the backing, paint them glossy white, and then mod podge funky paper to the back.  I went to The Paper Source here in Annapolis, and found a gorgeous brown and white faux bois paper perfect for my project.  And they had just two pieces left which was what I needed.... it was meant to be!  And can I just say, it's fun to say "faux bois" but it really is kind of pretentious, dontcha think?  I mean, it literally translates to "fake wood".  But saying lovely fake wood paper doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?
I returned home, excited to get started, and hit a wall when the backing would not come off either table as the screws were totally stripped and not budging.  So, I left the backings on, primed and painted away, and then once it was all dry, I cut the pieces of the paper to fit and Mod Podged them onto the back.  I also put the original hardware back on, as I really liked their simplicity.  I staged them in my home for these pictures, and love them so much, that after the holidays, I am fairly certain they will make a comeback to this spot!  And Lenore, I hope you are proud of me and my paper project!  Thanks for all the paper inspiration on furniture!



So what have you been up to?  Please furniture projects only.  Frankly, if you link up otherwise, I don't know how to delete it, but just read the directions!
Rules Schmules:
1. You must be a follower of this here ol' blog.

2. Make sure you post a permalink and not just a link to your main blog page.
3. Your link MUST BE A FURNITURE MAKEOVER.
4. Please add my button to your post or sidebar.
5. Not required, but please be kind and go visit some of the other links.
6. Party on!
Alright, get this party started


I am sharing my transformation here:
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/giveawaysBeyond The Picket FenceMake it Yours @ My Backyard Eden504 MainPhotobucketA Little Knick KnackUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucket

30 comments:

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

wow! I can't believe how much better they look being white. I've never been fond of blonde furniture!
Glad you're having a fun week with the kiddos!
gail

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Oh Cassie, they look AMAZING! Great choice in colour and paper. You know I'm so jealous you got to go to Paper Source....

I've been a lazy bones for projects but I'm hoping to have a piece done this week to show off sometime soon!

Have a great Thanksgiving and good luck in your 10k, you will be awesome!

XO
Lenore

Courtenay@Signal Hill Interiors said...

Wow. These look so good. The paper totally updated them. Where did you get your little owls? I've been looking for something just like them.

Chrissie said...

Cassie, I absolutely love these tables. What a remarkable makeover, I doubt they will make it through the holidays if you have them for sale.

mapleandmagnolia.com said...

Cassie, they turned out really beautiful! The styling is fab!!!

dedeetsyshop said...

Looks great! Love th owls on it too! :)

{the vintage wren} said...

What a fantastic find, I love those little tables. The Faux Bois paper was just the right thing to make them interesting. Great job on the Faux Bois. I'm going to have to make something Faux Bois soon. Hugs-Carrie

Lois@frugaldecormom said...

Super cute! Good luck on the 10k! I'm running my first 5k on Turkey Day also! I'm super syked and determined to run the entire thing!

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

These tables are so cute! They look so nice together, and the knobs are adorable! Wow! Good luck running the 10K! Very impressive! :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow, definitely a new look for you. And they turned out great! That paper is even perfect with your woodsy owls and pinecones. Nice job, Cassie! Best of luck with your 10K and have a wonderful Thanksgiving, complete with pumpkin cheesecake!

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

Perfect with your owls! I love them, so mod! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Cassie, I can not believe how awesome this turned out. Those things looked like crap before you got your hands on them! Happy T day to you!

Jazzynickel said...

I've been on an I'll-just-paint-it-white kick lately so I'm totally loving these. Great job! BTW, I recently learned the term faux bois and I have to agree it does have a nice ring to it. ;)

~Jazz

House Revivals said...

This is great! I love how you used the faux bois paper to back the shelves! Thanks for visiting House Revivals and leaving the nice comment about my wreath.

Allison said...

Those are SO fun!! You must keep them...they look amazing! Good luck on the 10k...you'll rock it! I'm supposed to do a 5k Turkey day, but they are predicting blizzard like conditions...could be interesting!

Charlene Austin said...

OMG those are amazing!! LOVE LOVE LOVE them!

taradaramadeit said...

I absolutely LOVE how these turned out! Great job!

Allison said...

These are gorgeous, Cassie! They look really nice in your house. You did a beautiful job and wow, what a tranformation. You've tunred these plain tables into something very modern and chic! We have a Paper Source that recently opened near us and I've been wanting to pop in and see all of their papers. You chose some fun paper. I love all of your owls! Good lukc with your 10K!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Cassie, very cool outcome on the tables! They look great in that spot, too. Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for hosting!

Denise said...

Love the faux bois you put in the back!! It just looks so hip.

knack said...

great job! i love this paper and have used it on a couple pieces too! ..it looks great on so many different pieces!

xo

Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too said...

They turned out awesome! Love the wood grain look in the back. Very nice pieces now to be sure.

Steph @ BirdhouseFamily said...

So cute! Well decorated too.

Steph @ BirdhouseFamily said...

Ha! Funny that you commented on my owl. I was just admiring yours and searched your blog to see where you got them. They look great painted white! I love to do that too!

Anestazia said...

Hey there! I'm a new follower from Tickled Pink! I hope you get a chance to stop by & visit!

http://yourworkistodiscoveryourworld.blogspot.com/

Kim said...

You really breathed new life into those. They look fresh - the faux wood is cool.

Meg said...

They did turn out pretty awesome. I'm lovin' the faux paper as well! Thanks for linking up!!

Holly said...

LOVE these and that paper is to-die-for! My goodwill is awesome but overpriced - those would have been $25 each here. They look gorgeous!

Anne at Oh My Yes! said...

The faux bois paper looks fantastic, what a great idea! Just discovered your blog, love it!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Oh geez...I hadn't seen these yet! I LOVE them!