Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hands Down My favorite Gift to Give this Year



Last year I watched an HGTV special with 3 celebrities having their homes decorated for Christmas and it showed how they celebrated the holidays.  The stars were Kathy Lee Gifford, Jewel, and Holly Robinson Pete.  Holly was headed to Cabo and wanted her home decorated all in Cabo style and colors, corals and beachy... and was all "Cabo this" and "Cabo that".  I think if I recall I vomited a little listening to her talk about her pretentious Cabo Christmas.  And I am sorry if I offend anyone with that comment, but it just wasn't very Christmas-y or Christmas spirited and very commercial.  Kathy Lee's house was decorated very traditionally and was classic, warm, and nice, and she hosted a dinner at her home with her friends and family that looked lovely.  The one that really sticks out in my mind though is Jewel.  She was the only one who worked with her designer and made homemade decorations and homemade holiday foods that her family liked.  She shared their tradition of each giving each other one gift that they made.  Her father in law made her a beautiful leather bound embossed book for poetry and song writing.  I remember crying just watching it- it was so sweet and special.  I would love for my family to start that tradition of doing mainly homemade gifts.  They are always the ones I treasure most and are the most thoughtful.  And I want my kids to grow up expressing themselves and their love through creativity rather than money.  That being said, I am going to share the gift they made this year for Uncle Dana, my one and only brother.
Last year, I purchased some frames and had each child paint a watercolor picture for Uncle Dana's apartment.  This year I stole an idea I saw at Sawyer's school when I was there in November for my conference.  It was a project the kindergarten class had done, so Sawyer was excited that he knew what we were doing and he was able to give Emmy some guidance.
I bought a rather large square frame at IKEA with the mat in it.  The opening for a picture was 11" square, so I purchased a piece of 12" square white cardstock.  I had each of the kids paint 2 squares of color with poster paint.  And I should add, they did this entirely themselves.  They chose the colors to use and painted it on their own.  I just helped them stay clean and set up.  Once that was dry, I painted black paint on their right hands and Sawyer imprinted his hand in the red and green squares, and Emmy imprinted her hand on the blue and orange squares.  Once it was dry, I set it up in the frame and showed the kids.  Sawyer looked amazed and said "Wow, that is AWESOME, mom!"  They are so proud of it and so excited to give Uncle Dana something they made.  I love it because he will have it in his new house he purchased this year in Los Angeles, and it will always be a reminder of how small they are, and the bright colors a reminder of their youth and energy.
And here you have Uncle Dana's very own "Handy Warhol".  I am SOOO excited for him to open it.  I know he doesn't read my blog so he won't be seeing this, but I cannot WAIT!!!  This is by far the best gift I have wrapped under the tree this year.


A Little Knick KnackBeyond The Picket Fence

23 comments:

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Handy Warhal, that's clever. Me and my sisters all make our own gifts, it's been our tradition for years. One sister is a potter and very artsy the other is a seamstress. So we always walk away with special things.

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

So fun and sweet and super creative! Merry merry Christmas cassie!!

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

how precious! Uncle Dana is going to love it I'm sure! Who wouldn't?

Merry Christmas Cassie to you and your wonderful little family!
gail

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Such a cute idea! I'll have to tuck it away for next year!

Kendra {House of Ficek} said...

Those type of gifts are the most special! That is a darling idea. Merry Christmas!

Tammy said...

very cute. i just love the stuff our kids make. they make the best presents. thanks for stopping by TypeA. Merry Christmas.

Jazzynickel said...

OMG Cassie, that is THE CUTEST THING! ;) My kids are a little old for this but my sis has little ones and this would be a great idea for her...

Thanks for sharing!

~Jazz

Renee @ where the grass is greener said...

I absolutely LOOOVE this idea! Sigh, I wish my kids were younger. However, my kids and I have been making handmade gifts for family and friends for years ... some years more than others ...and sadly, my teens aren't so into it anymore. I have to get a little more creative (last year, I had my son's photographs framed for him). Anyway, I, too remember that HGTV show and in particular, Jewel and her warm, cozy house.

Chrissie said...

What a wonderful gift! I am sure Uncle Dana will be crazy about it!

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

Oh that is so cute! They did such a great job! It does look awesome!

knack said...

he is going to freak out! this is so awesome! I have so many little hand print things that my kids made for me when they were little, and I hang them every year.....there is nothing like those little hands!

xo

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Fantastic idea Cassie, I love the modern feel to it. They did a great job!

Allison said...

I absolutely LOVE that, Cassie! That is the best gift. So clever - Handy Warhol! Your brother will adore it. That is such a special and meaningful gift and I think there is nothing better than a child's artwork. Sawyer and Emmy did a fabulous job. It looks fantastic in the black frame. Very striking! Your brother will proudly hang that in his new home. I would love to commission your two budding artists to do a piece for me. I actually made my Christmas gifts for my family this year and had a ball doing it.

Jannet ~ Simple Matters said...

Cassie, This is such a touching gift! I would love to open something like that! I'm sure your brother will appreciate all the love that went into creating it.

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

What a special gift! I'm sure he will love it and the kids must be so proud of their artwork! We might have to do that next year for Grandma and Grandpa!

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

Ohhh this is sooo cute!!! What a great Idea!!!! I am sad though that Uncle Dana does not read you blog!?!? But he will certainly love this!!

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

How adorable! Great idea!

Karen said...

I love it...simple, sweet and packs a lot of punch.

Amy ~ A Perfect Tin said...

Wow! That is such a cute idea. Thanks for sharing!

~ Amy

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Oh, I'm totally stealing this idea. I just wish I had done something like this while the kids were little. I'll just have to get a bigger frame! You are so creative.

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Super cute! A gift with heart! These would sell for a ton in Boulder, CO. Haha! They are priceless though :D

Merry Christmas, Cassie!
xx,
~Michelle

Its So Very Cheri said...

I am posting this tomorrow morning.

Cheri

thepaperroSe said...

Love it, as usual! So cute....I need to file this one away to do in a few year with Maryn's little hands! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas Cassie!!