Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rainy Day Christmas Craft: Advent Tree

It was very rainy this morning, and we were under a tornado warning.  The rain has cleared now, but I enjoyed a cozy morning sipping coffee, jamming to Christmas tunes (yes, you can jam to Silent Night!), and working on an Advent Tree copied completely from inspired by Cassie at Hi Sugarplum!.  Look at her Advent tree- isn't is so pretty and clever?
advent 8
I bought all my supplies yesterday, and collected some holly branches from the tree spoutlets growing under our huge holly tree.  They had the perfect shape and were green in color.  I used my large chlakboard urn to place the branches in.  Today I headed to the Dollar Tree and got lots of little treats to place inside my paper cones.  When I returned I got to work making the paper cones.  I used 12" scrapbook paper and cut it into 4 triangles, by cutting diagnolly from corner to corner, like Cassie shows here...
advent 2
When it came time to make the cones, I was lost.  I kept reading and rereading the directions but it wasn't clicking with me. (Cassie, you are not alone in your blonde moment here- and I am not even blonde!)  I finally just googled it and found these directions.  Maybe their simple black and white pictures are what helped me, I don't know.
cone2.gif (1882 bytes)
  But it finally clicked!  I set to work making my 25 cones, and I used a hot glue gun to seal them all, rather than using tape.  Once all the cones were made, I used a circular craft punch and white cardstoc to cut out 25 white circles.  I used number stamps to add the date to each circle.  Then I used a seam-ripper to poke a hole into the back of each cone, and into the top of each numbered circle.  I used ornament hooks to weave through the holes, attaching the date to the cone.  I then filled the cones and hung on my holly branches.  I did buy my kids some candy, but I knew Jake, our white wonder of a dog, would find it and eat it, so as Cassie suggested to me, I wrote a note on a piece of paper for the cones on the days they get candy.  I am really excited for my kids to come home and see the Advent tree and get their first treat today, December 1.
And thank you so much to Cassie at Hi Sugarplum! for the wonderful idea!  My cones don't look half as good as yours, but I am sure my kids will enjoy it anyhow!




Sharing here:
Catch As Catch Can

30 comments:

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

Fun, the kids must love it!

Allison said...

I love it, Cassie! Your kids are going to be so excited. It turned out so cute and I love the galvanized urn. You found some fun and festive papers.

Jazzynickel said...

Oh my! How fun is that?! For years I've been saying I'd like to do an Advent calendar of some kinds but never got around to getting or making one.

Great craft. Your kids are gonna love it...

~Jazz

Sherry said...

How totally cute!!! I'm loving the stamped numbers!
Sherry@Back2Vintage

mapleandmagnolia.com said...

This is adorable!!! So creative. :) A great use for my mountain of scrapbook paper.

cindy @ cottage instincts said...

Oh hurray! I'm soooo glad to see others using branches in their Christmas decor :) I was supposed to make an advent thingy today, but that was a fail.

I love yours...I could get my kids involved, and work my way thru my scrapbook pile!

(yeah, snow today and tomorrow....bitter cold!)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very cute! The kids will love the treats! I love the branches in the bucket! And I need to be singing along to Christmas music while I'm decorating too!

Emily said...

it came out great! i ordered my pails today so mine will be done in about 13 days when they arrive. maybe ill just save it for next year seeing as how i ate half the chocolate candy today : (

Rene said...

So sweet Cassie. I wanted to do this and might still try - albeit late.

-Rene

Restyled Vintage said...

That is super cute! I am not sure my patience would extend to making that, so I will just admire yours and my poor kids can stick to their little Licensed chocolate calendars, lol!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Adorable!

knack said...

this is such a cute idea, I love the paper and tree branches together!

xo

Renee @ where the grass is greener said...

Oh, I love it. You really made it look so sweet and I love where you put it, too. I just spent the last half hour looking for my advent calendar (someone hand-sewed it for me and the kids years ago) and I finally gave up...I'll just have to wait until I decorate!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Oh how fun and cute. It looks vintage like your ornaments too!

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

Your calendar came out great! That bucket you put it in is super cute:)

Jessica said...

SO cute! we have a really fun felt advent calendar i got from garnet hill a few years ago, but the pockets aren't going to be big enough for treats for THREE kids -- this will be the perfect solution for my family a few years from now when baby is old enough to participate, too!

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

so cool! Um I started an advent calendar...so not done...looks like traders joes calendar this year!

Red Gate Farm said...

What a great idea!

Chris

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

I love it! I'll bet the kids look forward to picking one off the tree every day!

Demonic Angel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Great idea, and amazing pictures, Cassie! (New camera?)

The Frosted Gardner said...

How clever and fuN! You have so many great things happening over here!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That's really cute. Thanks for sharing the black and white cone picture. I have about a million of those to make.

I miss having little kids around at Christmas.

thepaperroSe said...

Love it! Am already thinking what I can do for Maryn in a couple of years. I am filing this one away! So cute!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Cassie, this is the cutest idea!! It turned out so darn cool! We've been doing an advent for years...so fun, especially for the little ones.

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

I love advent ideas that hold goodies! So did Jamie. Her favorite was a chimney that had little drawers. It was a challenge finding little trinkets. I miss those days!
so cute! great job.
thanks for linking up and linking back,
gail

Christie said...

I came over from Sommer's Designer Gardner! I have been here before and will make sure I am a follower! I love this advent wreath and all your decorations at Sommer's!! So wonderful all the treasures you have found and the handmade goodness! Thanks! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

Looks so great!!! I love how you stamped the numbers and used ornament hooks to hang them on the branches!!! Great job...I'm thrilled I inspired it...you inspire me all the time!!

xo

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

oh, and what is it about making those cones that's so confusing?!??! but once you get it, you get it. I think it took me longer to figure out the first one than it did to make all the rest of them combined!!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Very cute, Cassie! You are one creative girl...