Monday, January 17, 2011

Kids DIY Artwork

I will be posting the rest of our family room reveal this evening, but wanted to share with you our fun new artwork.  I used to have a collection of empty frames behind the couch, but decided I wanted something to add more of a splash of color since the tons in the room are more modern and muted.  I decided to let the kids go to town, and asked them if they would want to paint self portraits.  They both love to paint, so it was a fun treat and a great way to spend time together on Emmy's birthday.  I went to Michael's and bought 2 22" x 28" canvases, and I selected a large bottle of DecoArt Americana Primary Blue paint.  I told the kids they could each select two colors as well.   Sawyer chose a red and orange, and Emmy chose a pink and purple.  I also added a yellow to the mix to help unify the pictures.  When we got home, I painted the blank canvases blue and let that dry.
Once that was dry, I invited the kids to go to town!




There they are hanging on the wall!  Sawyer gave himself a sword, and Emmy was excited and said she was painting herself being 4.  She was so excited!

11 comments:

Karen said...

Love it!

Jennifer said...

ohmygosh how cute!?!!? I love it! Esp the pix of the kids in their snazzy painting smocks!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Sommer said...

What a precious momento. I love the smocks you have for them. How fun for them to see their very own originals on the walls =)

Serendipity Chic Design said...

OK, so I know I am supposed to be looking at the art, but I couldn't help but notice Sawyer's long gorgeous eyelashes. Are those for real o did you use a trick camera?

Love your idea with the art. Can't wait to see the full effect with the family room reveal.

Take care,
Lisa

Nicole@ Black Cab Designs said...

Really great paintings! I love when you can really see the family in a family room. :)

Jessica said...

So cute! I just had Abby and Will do self portraits in December using my "grown up" watercolors (the quality is soo much better than the kids products out there) and black permanent marker - for our front hall. I love them! I will take a pic and share them with you! oxox

mapleandmagnolia.com said...

Your kids are adorable. Ditto on serendipity's comment. Those lashes are so beautiful!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

So cute! This is such a great to make them feel included in the decorating process. And also make them feel special about having their artwork displayed.

Holly said...

Kiddos art is the best! I bet they are just beyond excited to have their art hanging up! We are using DecoArt to make a Pinewood Derby car! Wooo-whooo!

Chrissie said...

So sweet!

Amanda said...

How awesome is that!