Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Colorful World: Wrapping it up with Pattern Mixing with Kirsten of 6th Street Design School

Hi friends!  This is it.  The last post of my series, A Colorful World.  I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have!  I am thinking of making it an bi-annual event.  Would you guys like that?  Anyhow, we have covered almost every color under the sun, so now let's talk about mixing patterns!   Today I have my favorite design blogger here talking about mixing patterns.  Kirsten from 6th Street Design School is a master with color and pattern.  If you haven't been to her blog, you need to run over there.... I am in love with her living room, and her whole house for that matter, and her adorable little family!  Here she is!



Today I am going to talk about mixing patterns. Mixing patterns is so fun and easy once you know the basics. 


First I like to start with a fabric that has lots of colors we can pull from.  A great floral fabric, like this one from Schumacher,  is usually a good starting point. 

Then I start pulling colors that I like from the floral fabric. 

1. 2. 3

For this scheme I picked up the red and blue. What I love about the blue in this scheme is how unexpected it is. It's not very prominent in the floral fabric but placing it next to a light blue pillow will really pull the color out. 

12. 3.

In this scheme I've pulled yellow and blue. Notice how great the graphic patterns look next to the floral. A floral pattern can be busy so by placing it with a simple graphic pattern it helps rest the eye. 

1. 2. 3.

In this scheme I've left out the blue and instead I'm playing up the red and green. This will make the room feel much more energetic and vibrant. I could see that trellis fabric making a great curtain. The scale is large which will play nicely with the other patterns. 

I hope this helps you get started on mixing some fun patterns! 

20 comments:

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

You have had some great posts in this series! Love it!

I enjoy mixing patterns myself. I never thought to pull colors from one pattern though. Great inspiration. Thank you!

tale of many cities said...

i like the color combo. but then again, i enjoy COLOR! :)

Danielle {freshquince} said...

I have really enjoyed this color series and fun to end on this note of combining patterns!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Wow, her style is awesome! Thanks for introducing us to her blog - I hadn't seen it before but am definitely following along now.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

She makes it look easy! This series has been a lot of fun, Cassie! I've found some great new blogs because of it, and I've even learned some things. Thanks!

Serendipity Chic Design said...

Gorgeous prints and the colors are so vibrant and meke me want spring to get here already!!

Take care,
Lisa

A Vintage Vine said...

Kirstin did a great job! I love checking out her blog! Fun to see how she pulls colors together!!! Thanks Cassie, as you know, I have loves this series!

michelle said...

Love the fabrics! It is so fun to play with all the colors and patterns and how much they change the look of a room.

The Shabby Home said...

Thank you so much!! I've been doing pulling colors from a floral... it's so nice to see some instruction. ~smiles~

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

I am in love with them all! What great combos! And YES I would love to have this series twice a year! I have really enjoyed it.

European Paint Finishes said...

Another fun new blog -thanks for introducing. Love you fabric & color choices...right up my alley! -keeley

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Those patterns and colors make me want to add more color for spring! Just gorgeous!!!
XO
Kristin

Ali Richardson said...

Awesome!!! I love mixing patterns (maybe it brings me back to the camo/plaid camo on all the Abercrombie guys back in the day, ha ha).

Allison said...

Great fabrics, colors and patterns! Kirsten does an amazing job with design and color in a home. Very pretty! This was a great series, Cassie! There were a lot of creative and fun ideas. Very inspirational!

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

These posts have been great and this is one of my favorites. Mixing patterns is a little tricky but always looks incredible when done well.

Richmond Thrifter said...

I totally love the second one! The yellow pillow is precious!

Sarah said...

Great post by Kirsten! She made it seem so easy!!

Love this series!!

queenbee1994 said...

Great information, thanks for sharing! I just did a pattern play post as well using Young House Loves guest room as an example.

ParkerNicole said...

What great combos! It is so fun to play with all the colors and patterns and how much they change the look of a room. Thanks for introducing us to her blog.
interior decorator mississauga

Blue Turtle said...

It's lovely. It's very detailed. Very beautiful!

Jevon @ Interior Design Pro