Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Easy Homemade Gift Part Two: Painted Coasters

Before I get into this post, I have a question.... Does anyone else use Google Reader?  If so, have you noticed that suddenly some blogs don't feed into it properly, and those that you may have unsubscribed to start showing up again?  What is the deal?  It's driving me nuts because some of my favorite reads are not showing up!!  Anyone know how to fix this?

Anyhow...

I shared some easy homemade gifts earlier this holiday season (candles and glitter magnets), and I have another super easy idea for you.  This idea is fabulous for hostesses, neighbors, or teachers.  The ones I made happen to be for my own husband though because we need coasters for our living room and he has mentioned it to me a few times.  So of course that gave me an idea.... (and don't worry- he doesn't read my blog unless I tell him there is something he should read.)

I purchased a package of 8 travertine tiles from Home Depot for something like $5.  I had leftover paint from the bookcases so I decided to use that.  I planned to do a set of 4 and thought it would be cool to do an ombre style with each coaster getting a little lighter, as they will be stacked as a set.  The idea seemed cool at the time... but once they were all painted I was not impressed with myself.  Ugh.  I thought it was going to be a project fail or do-over.  Then Sarah suggested I paint them in chevron style.  I still wasn't sure, but decided what the heck- I can't ruin them at this point!  I used my DecoArt Sea Glass acrylic paint and just free handed one chevron stripe to the side of each tile.  I was liking them much better, but I knew a good distressing would make the look blend more.... So I got to work sanding and distressing them, and then coated them with polycrylic for protection.   Once that was dry I used a big cork tile I had on hand and cut it into squares to glue to the back side of each tile to protect table tops of course.  And finally, I was happy!





Like I said- it was so easy and you really don't even need any artistic talent!  The distressing helps hide your imperfect paint job! ;)

Sharing here:
DomesticallySpeakingVisit thecsiproject.com”hbcbutton”

20 comments:

Katie said...

Very cute coaster idea! I've also noticed some problems with Google Reader. I don't think all the new posts show up.

Lindsay said...

Such cute coasters!! Also - Google Reader drives me CRAZY! I'll add several new blogs and the next day they won't show up. Sometimes it will show that a blogger hasn't posted in a week when they've been posting every day, then I'll get all of their updates at once. It's very buggy...

LUISA MAY said...

thats very cute! it would make a good gift for friends! thanks for sharing!!!
Keep crafting!!

Louie
http://votreamielouie.blogspot.com/

Ali Richardson said...

AWESOME!!!! Love them :)

Prudently Painted Vintage said...

Cute!! I love the chevron detail. I was going to make some coasters similar to this for a prize at my cookie exchange, except I have zero energy to craft lately :( oh well!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

You did a smashing job! Those are so cute...

gail said...

hey cassie! cute coasters! Love that you're doing so much home made Christmas! People really do appreciate it more. :)
reader? hmmm I hadn't noticed things not showing up. I'm sort of a "pay the bill when it comes girl". In other words, if something doesn't show up in my reader (I follow TOO many blogs anyway) I really wouldn't notice.
Google never leaves anything alone, always changing something!
gail

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse said...

Such a pretty project!!

Kyra @ RACKS and Mooby said...

Cute coasters!!

Re: google reader.... Yes yes yes. I've recently subscribed to new blogs and they aren't showing up at all. Then there are a couple I've unsubscribed for Repeatedly and they'll just randomly show up. The other day they kept popping up every hour even though I kept deleting them. Very frustrating! I have no solution. :(

Allison said...

Fun coasters! I'm all about homemade as much as I can this year. Your hubby will love those....the fact that you made them for him and it is something that you need and he can use. Great job!

Rebecca said...

That's a great idea! I might have to do that for my husband!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

But haven't you heard? Chevrons are so over! hahahaha!

Seriously though I think they came out great!

Rita said...

I love these and just happen to NEED coasters!!

Rachael said...

love, love, love them!

Katie said...

These are so flipping cute! I love them!! I'm having the same problem with Google Reader - have no idea how to fix it! They keep making changes that mess everything up!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

"we" made the tile coasters with holiday scrapbook paper for teachers last year and they were such a hit. love your painted version.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

How adorable!

Anneke {RustiChic} said...

Hmmm...I don't ever use Google Reader, but I love making handpainted coasters like that! Cute! :-)

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Lovely! I guess we all were on the same wavelength with handmade gift ideas.

Kate said...

I haven't noticed any problems with Google Reader... but maybe I'm not paying close enough attention?? I don't like the idea that it's not reliable though...

Super cute coasters. I love the pattern (reminds me of Charlie Brown!).