Sunday, December 11, 2011

Handmade Gift Idea Part 3: (MOM, SORRY, BUT DON'T READ)



I have a few glass insulators that I wasn't sure what to do with.  I have 2 aqua glass ones that are so pretty in color, but they had just been sitting there.  Pinterest, I salute you.  I browsed the other night looking for some simple ideas for glass insulators, and came across this fabulous idea.
Blue/Green Glass Insulator Photo/Card Holder
I loved the look and thought I could make some for my mom that could be used as photo or place card holders.

Today, I went to Michael's and looked for copper wire.  They didn't have anything that looked strong enough but I found a roll of natural fiber wrapped wire that was super string.  And I already owned a pair of wire clippers, so that was all I needed.

I  wrapped the wire around the indent in each insulator and then twisted in the back with the loose end to secure.  Then I just went straight up and then clipped my piece.  I wrapped the end 3 times around a thick pen, slid it off, and voila, rustic photo holders!  And that photo is Sawyer from 2007... Wasn't he the cutest?  :)



There is a picture to show you the backside, where it is securely twisted.

This project took all of 5 minutes for all 3.  So if you have some insulators, get to work- super easy and thrifty!

I want to say a special thank you to Deborah of Cofessions of a Craigslist Junkie because she provided me with the $50 gift card to Michael's which was used to get my wire for this project!  Deborah is super sweet and talented.  Here is an example of her talent!  But you really need to see the inside of this chest.

Hop on over and say hello!

Also, don't forget today to link up over at Whisperwood Cottage with your holiday chalkboard paint projects!!!


Sharing here:
The DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreaming”hbcbutton”{Primp}The Shabby Nest

31 comments:

Katie said...

I love the shape of your glass insulators! To me they look more rusting with the twine wrapped wire! Very cute!!

Anneke {RustiChic} said...

Wow...I have never seen those before! I love what you did with them. Seriously, Pinterest is like my new Google. ;-)

Renee from Where the Grass is Greener said...

Great idea. I was heading to Michael's tomorrow anyway, now to pick me up some of that wire string. I have one insulator, but I'm going to make it a gift for myself!!

Artsy VaVa said...

I love this idea! Pinned it! I will definitely be making some of these.

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse said...

Gosh, I always see those glass insulators and had NO idea what to do with them. Thanks for the fab idea!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

SO cool! Such a great idea. I love the look of those, and always want to collect them when I am out flea-ing, but wasn't really sure what I would do with them. Imagine a menagerie of them along a mantle (similar to my snow globe menagerie - lol) in clear and blue, with adorable family photos. That would look SO awesome!! Your mom is going to be one happy Mama on X-mas!

Ali Richardson said...

Ooooh, those are awesome!!! I like that look even better than the wire! She's going to love them :)

Sherry@ Ties2ThePast said...

What a neat idea!
I have LOTS of insulators, I've always loved their shape & colors.
I took a rusty saucer, about 2" or 3" across, glued it to the top of an insulator, then put a homespun ribbon around the indent & tied on a small rusty key. Then, I put a votive candle on top.
Easy & cute!
♥'s
Sherry

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

What in the blankidy-blank are glass insulators? They are super cute, but I'm a ignoramus! I laughed out loud when I saw your post title! Hahahaha!!!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

What a beautiful project! Your mom is going to be super excited :)
Btw, isn't it interesting that something so utilitarian as an insulator can come in such beautiful colors???

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Thanks for the plug and the idea Cassie! I have a set of insulators I've been trying to sell in my Etsy store. Since no one is buying them, using them for photo holders in my office is a great solution!

Megan said...

What did we do before pinterest?? I super heart love it {actually I think yours is cuter than the inspiration, shhh}

Sarah said...

What a great idea! I see them ALL over the place here and always wonder what in the world people would do with them!? These are so cute..nice job!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very cute idea! I hope your mom doesn't peek!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

That is such a great idea! Sawyer is such a cutie pie in that photo- perfect gift for Grandma!

Twice Nice said...

Such a great idea, and I really, really love that organic looking wrapped wire! Your Mom will love it! Deb

Lesley said...

Yep. I'm doing this.... I have about 6 insulators and they, as you put it, just sit there!!! lol Copying you. :)

Kim @ keller-creative said...

Very pretty and a great gift!

Chrissie said...

Sweet idea!

Jacqueline said...

Very creative! I'm working on gifts now but I have to wait till after the holidays to share them lol.

Simply Salvaged Restoration said...

Love this! I've had one floating around my house for about 2 months now and you've inspired me! Thanks for sharing :)

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Those are so cute! What a great gift idea too! I'll take a set of 6 for my table ;)

Stephanie said...

Every time I visit my sister in VA, we hit up the "junk" shops on the mountain and I always come home with another insulator...now I know exactly what I'm going to do with them! Thank you!!!!!!

Angie said...

these are adorable! thanks for the cute idea.

michelle said...

That is so cute and such a great idea!!! I love those little insulators. Your mom is going to love them!
xoxoxo

concretenprimroses said...

Fabulous idea, TFS!
I may use one of my really large ones with "ears" to make a holder for my description of crafts that I use at fairs. And since all my displys are painted shades of turquoise, the blue insulator will be perfect.

Kathy

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Way cute idea! I will keep this one in mind.

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Neat! My dad has a bunch of insulators...maybe I can "borrow" some ;)

Precious Sister said...

This is such a cute idea. Like the different shapes and the colors are like sea glass. Beautiful.

Annika

RhettDidntGiveADamn said...

Swoon at this.. it's just lovely Mandi. Thanks for sharing.

xo

Christa

Renewed Upon a Dream said...

Oh wow this looks great! I'm always wondering what to do with those things, great idea!