Sunday, December 18, 2011

Santa & A Handmade Dance Teacher Gift

Yesterday was a very busy day and the title pretty much sums up our day!  Chris had to work, but I took the kids to the monthly breakfast buffet at the Myersville VFD.  Emmy had her fill of bacon ( the girl loves her bacon) and Sawyer had a nice stack of pancakes.  Then at 9 am, Santa arrived!  The kids got to sit on his lap and tell him what they wished for.  Sawyer spouted a list and I had to cut him off, but Emerson was too happy and just smiley and couldn't even think of what to say.  Their picture was taken for a local paper, so I will find out later this week if they made the cut!   But for now, here is my own picture.  And I know Sawyer needs a haircut.  I know.

After that it was back home for Christmas movies, and more peanut butter ball making!  I used this recipe, but my m&m loving son had the idea to add a surprise inside!  So before I refrigerated the uncoated peanut butter balls, we smooshed an m&m into each one.  Then they were refrigerated, dipped in chocolate, sprinkled with holiday sprinkles, and refrigerated again.  I like to stick little baggies of these inside each of the teacher and neighbor gifts.  Here is what they look like:

As I sat with the kids eating lunch, I realized we had not thought of Emmy's dance teachers for gifts- OOPS!  Major oops!  I am all out of wax so couldn't make any more candles.  I didn't have any more cute frames to make any art... Argh!  But I remembered an adorable idea I saw the other day at Our Humble Abowed and thought to myself, "I have clay!  I have wire!" And an idea was born.  I molded a few different critters because I also realzied we had nothing for Sawyer's school nurse, and he seems to visit her a lot.  I have not yet seen her but I have a feeling she is attractive. ;)  I let him paint 3 ornaments for her, and Emmy painted one for herself (a pink owl) and one for the dance teacher's assistant, and I painted one for the dance teacher.
Here are the kids ornaments:

Now, for the dance teacher I had an idea of what I wanted to do.  I chose a penguin and painted it with a pearly white craft paint.

Then I used a small section of ruffly rose trim in pink (the teacher's favorite color) to create a tu-tu.  And here she is- our dancing penguin!

 And meanwhile, while we were busy crafting and confectioning inside, it was busy snowing outside!  There is not much, but it still looked pretty!


Happy Sunday!  We are off to my mom's today for cookie-baking, and then Chris (who has to work again today) is meeting us there for dinner.  Hope you all have most of your Christmas preparations done and can get some time in this last week to relax, reflect, and enjoy.
The DIY Show Off

23 comments:

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

sooo cute! love the little tutu addition!!!! :)

Lesley said...

So glad to see that you didn't have to drive to the mall to see Santa!!! lol ;)

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Oh my gosh the penguin is adorable with the tutu! We saw a few flakes but not as mush snow as you. It's so nice to get a little snow before Christmas!

Megan said...

Those cookies look delish! I've gained a few pds from all the good cookies I've been eating :\
The dancing penguin is so darling, great idea!!

René said...

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest penguin! Your kids look just like you. So cute!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Sounds like a great day - bacon & pancakes, picture with Santa, and crafting with mom! That tutu is the cutest!

Anne said...

love the santa pic :) and those peanut butter balls love amazing...going to check to see if I happen to have the ingredients on hand. secretly hoping I do...but then again, probably better if I don't. ha

17 Perth said...

Sounds like a perfect day. :) You always amaze me with your talent...that little ornament is perfect for the dance teacher.:)

Renee from Where the Grass is Greener said...

That is the most adorable ornament! I love it!!! Penguins hold a special place in my heart (and in my home), but I don't think we ever had one with a tutu!!

Blondie's Journal said...

What a fun day! Love the picture of your cuties and Santa!! And the ornaments are darling!

Happy Holidays!

XO,
Janie

Ali Richardson said...

Sounds like n AWESOME day!! I love the Santa pic and that freakin' dancing penguin is amazing!!!! xoxo

Katie said...

I LOVE that little penguin ornament! I wish I had some clay so I could make a bunch of homemade ornaments! Maybe next year!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Those turned out so cute! Love the little tutu. Sorry I have not been by in awhile. It's been a bit hectic around here! Have a greet day. :)

andrea said...

Your Santa actually had a velvet suit on! Super Christmas classy! andrea@townandprairie

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Those kids are too cute, just like their mom! It is so much fun to work on projects with your kids, no matter how old they are. Sounds like a perfect day!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Sounds like the perfect day.
Love, love, love that tutu wearing penguin :)

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Molded? As in, with your own hands? or like, with a mold? WHERE IS THE VIDEO? SEND ME THE LINK AS I AM LOST AND AM DYING TO SEE IT...

Deb said...

Cute kids...cute penguin...sounds like a fun day Cassie! ~Deb~

Andrea said...

Dang girl, you are so creative. Love those little clay ornaments and the tutu is the perfect addition! I'm sure the dance teacher will love it!

Jen said...

Your little penguin ornaments are adorable! What a fabulous idea! I'd be thrilled if you popped by to share this post, and any others you'd like to show off at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

My oldest is a HUGE bacon lover too. The penguin is just adorable!!

Erin said...

What a precious penguin! The tutu is just perfect!

Chris said...

Hi Cassie, from what I can see, everyone loves the Penguin. So cute. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/