Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 Home Goals & Front Door Input Wanted!

I am joining the Nester and a kajillion other linkers in....


As many of you know, we just moved into our current home in October of 2011.  With that in mind, I could probably pen a novella all about my house goals!  But I am going to try to keep it real.  And something you should know about me if you don't already, is that my attention jumps.  Oh yes, my friends, my brain works in patterns unknown to scientists.  I will be thinking of one project, planning it out,  maybe even in the middle of it, when BOOM, an idea hits me for a completely different project and I am off and running!  That is how I came to paint the stripes in our dining room, after all.  A flight of fancy hit me and I followed it!  So while I am physically capable of jotting down goals, I am not always mentally capable of following through.  What happens this year might be nothing on this list, though I will still accomplish a lot.  You will not be disappointed.  Capiche?

So here goes...

2012 will ROCK!

1. Pretty up the downstairs bath.  Here is what it looks like now.

I am thinking something like this for the vanity.  The walls will either be painted a warm white or a grayish aqua.  The mirror will be framed out, and of course what can I say about all that wood trim?  Puke.
Pinned Image

2. Paint Emmy's room, trim, closet doors.  I shared with you a glimpse of her room here and here.  I also shared the wall color, but there are some other ideas I have for her room.  In case you did not click back, here are the glimpses....

I will be painting the walls a soft aqua-hued blue, and here are some of the ideas I have.
Paint her closet doors, like these, but instead of a floral-print lion, using a couple woodland decals like this







She also has a little nook in her room that I would love to give some sort of treatment like this or this
Pinned ImagePinned Image

or this or this. (Sorry for the funky alignment- having some blogger issues, meaning I am probably doing something wrong!)

Pinned Image
Pinned Image

Her room is going to be so fun for me to put together!

3. Pretty up the Playroom/Family room in the basement.  I organized it all the other day so now it looks like this... (And there is  a couch/tv area not shown here).


So it's organized, yes, but it needs some fun wall art.  It doesn't get any natural light, so I am going to keep it white, paint the trim, and paint the doors some fun colors.  
I would love to add stick letters like these and a bigger rug and a colorful bunting.  The glitch with the rug though is it has to be inexpensive and durable!
Pinned Image
I also LOVE how fun this room is!
Pinned Image
4. Paint  Sawyer's room and trim. I had planned on doing his room first, but he has had so many disruptions and loves playing in his room that I thought it best to let him have it as is for now, and paint later!  Right now, it looks like this, except it now has the same bedding on the other bed.

If I let him choose the color, his room would be as red as his rug.  But that is NOT going to happen.  It will be some shade of gray or blue, I am sure.  I love these rooms from my pinboard of his room.
Patrick's room - blue/redCute Outer Space Mural IdeaStar Wars bedroom
But I just don't know what I will do yet in there.... It will be one of those things where when it hits me, I will be off and running again!

5. Paint our exterior doors.  Here are a couple pictures of the exterior at Christmas time.
 I love the porch, love the Cape Cod Style.  I don't love the brown, brown, and more brown going on.  BUT we won't be repainting the entire exterior and trim until it is time to replace the roof.  Because the roof is of course, a shade of brown and it's difficult to coordinate with it.  I am considering a burnt orange color like the interior of our bookcases or perhaps a shade of aqua like the tables in our living room which are wedgewood gray.  I would LOOOOOOVE to hear any thoughts you might have!  Maybe you have another idea- PLEASE SHARE.  Because I can't live with the brown, and if you have followed me for a while, you know I like front doors that pop!

6. TAKE MY TIME.  So I am going to stop there.... that list is plenty long to get me started!  Of course I also have dreams for our master bedroom.  And I have big dreams for our kitchen (which we hope to start this Spring, depending how tax time goes!).  I have many more ideas, dreams, but you know what? My family is going to be here for a long long time.  That means I have nothing but time.... and I can get it all done eventually.  I hope you will stick around while we make this house our home!

61 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so excited to see what you accomplish in 2012! Lots to do, but I'm sure you'll make it all look *gorgeous.*

Ispirato Design said...

It was as if you were describing me in your opening paragraph! I sooo get it! You do keep an amazing pace so I won't be surprised if you get your list finished and then some!

DecorandtheDog said...

Bring it 2012. This sounds like a fabulous list. You'll be doing great if you complete just half of it!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh my Cassie, this post could have been written by moi, insert my kids and each room in my house. I used to keep a running list on my phone in a memo with each room, and what I wanted done with it. Last night.....drum roll please. I actually queued up all my projects for Redoux, then on another spread sheet, queued up all the projects for my home, separated by rooms. I am in the middle of the Living Room now. My husband would like me to do the bedroom, but our living room is quite bare as I am selling everything off in there but my dining room table!

As for the front door. I have a tanish/brownish house. I have a Bright Red-Orange front door. It needs to be repainted, it isn't too bad, but it needs a new coat. If I stand back far enough, I will send you a picture so you can get the general idea. I am with you. Brown/beige and earthy tone colored doors are boring. I am loving Red, Orange, and if the house is very conservative, like a Salt Box style house, Black. Now, there is more than you wanted to know about my decorating ideas!

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

You go, girl! I know you'll rock it out like a superstar!!!

Andrea said...

I agree w your need to have a door color to pop (cant do it on my house) Your brick and siding look yellowish/orange in the pics. I would do either the aqua or a navy blue. Peacock may also be a nice choice!

Blondie's Journal said...

I think you have a lot of great ideas and it's okay if you skip around...that's how you keep a fresh eye! Great color choices. Go for it!

XO,
Jane

A place 2 call home said...

I love all your inspiration pics, just beautiful. And you are right, go slow, all you have is time, I know easier said than done. I'm thinking if you wanted to paint the outside sooner, what about white or cream for the house, with some form of blueish aqua shutters, and then the door could be like a darker shade of the shutters, or a more vibrant shade of the shutters for that pop that you are looking for??

laxsupermom said...

Can't wait to follow along with all the changes. Especially the kids' rooms - I love the whimsy and fun energy that goes into a kid's room. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

Love it! Great to see someone else has loads of goals for their house. Your house is a blank slate and that's wonderful! At least you don't have to undo a lot of horribleness - just update! I think I would do a dark gray-blue on the door. Your options are somewhat limited!

Kate said...

I think that's an awesome and great plans! I have tons of goals for the house in 2012 too - we're gonna rock it! :)

Ali Richardson said...

Awesome list friend!! All very do-able and will be fabulous!! As far as the front door, I vote for the blue color you mentioned over orange. Anything you do will look GREAT, I have no doubt! xo

cranny + b said...

I will enjoy keeping up with your plans! And, I absolutely love your shower curtain-- can you tell me where you purchased it? I feel like I've seen it somewhere recently but I can't place it;-(

Rebecca said...

You sound like me today! My first big project plan for 2012 was my living room, but then the other day, reorganized the playroom, then started looking through paint colors since my kids are switching rooms. There is A LOT going on in this head! I can't wait to see and read about your projects!

gail said...

I will be happily following along as you complete your goals! You're so talented and creative, I know it's all going to be awesome!
gail

Ruby Jean said...

Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE all your pictures of inspiration... And can't wait to see your Projects.. :)

Allison said...

Great list of plans, Cassie! As you know my nickname for you is the "energizer bunny" so I know you will accomplish lots! It'll be fun to see what you do. Emmy's room is turning out so fun. I love front doors that have that pop of color, too. A cobalt blue or a teal or even an aqua would be fun.

Allison said...

Check out Nifty Turquoise or Biscay....both on the same Sherwin Williams color strip. They might be fun on your door!

17 Perth said...

So exciting--you have so many fun projects ahead. :) As far as your door is concerned--I say go with a gray or blue shade. I think either way you go--you won't be disappointed.

Chi-Chi Studio Designs said...

Like everyone else, I can't wait to see everything you accomplish! I think a bright pop of blue would look great on the front door!

xo
Kristin

Anneke {RustiChic} said...

Your ambitious girl! Can't wait to see everything!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow, you are going to have so much fun in 2012! And with all your inspiration photos, you're already headed in the right direction! And yes I agree about the front door, it will look great in a big bold color!

Rita said...

I'm very inspired by your pics and am actually trying to get my house into shape as it's only 4 years old (to us) and it's long overdue. That being said I'm starting to look for inspiration so I'll definitely keep your new house in mind and share my findings with you.

Artsy VaVa said...

I would look at the color wheel to see what the complimentary color for the brown is. This is a good site for seeing some choices that will work well... http://creativecurio.com/2008/05/the-color-wheel-and-color-theory/. Can't wait to see what you pick! I'm sure whatever you go with will be lovely.

Chrissie said...

Beautiful inspiration photos. I can't wait to see!

Tonya said...

Looking forward to all of your projects in 2012! Love the inspiration pictures for the playroom! I soooo want a playroom for my kiddos! One of these days!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You have some fun plans!
I like aqua and brown, so that would be my vote for the front door. I also think the right green could look pretty spectacular.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

So many ideas! I love the girly bedroom with the striped rug!

driftwoodesign said...

Oh Cassie, I image how overwhelming and yet so exciting it is to have the new house with all the projects ahead. One day at a time one project at a time, ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

And let's be honest, girl, if you didn't have a mile long list of projects to work on, you wouldn't even know what to do with yourself! (c: You know I'm excited for all the fabulous projects you're going to tackle...can't wait!!!

blackheartbetty said...

I love so many of your ideas! Your house is going to be awesome! We moved in our house in July and have SO much work to do!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I can't wait to follow along, my lovely!! That is an impressively long list!!!

And isn't it a great feeling knowing that you're going to be in one place for a long time? Such a feeling of rest and security. Lucky you!!

Sarahx

freckled laundry said...

A) We both suffer from design and project ADD so if you need support, I'm here for you, girl! :)

B) I was thinking how long and ambitious your project list is and then realized mine is about the same! Love your stress-free attitude about it though.

C) I vote for the wedgewood gray on the front door. But, if your little heart is now set on the spice color, I think that will also look pretty!

xo,
Jami

Megan said...

Your list is so amazing, but I'm tired just reading about all that work :) Knowing you though, I'm sure you will have it done in record time, you are amazing! I'm kinda feeling a turquoise for your door, but you know I'm a big fan of a pop of color!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

the master bedroom was not on my 2012 goals list last week, yet it's what i've been working on all week. can't wait to see what you come with up this year. and how about an avocado green for the door?

Andrea said...

You are going to be a very busy girl! I love the idea of a burnt orange door. It would look great with the brown and would definitely pop!

Amy of The Salvage Collection said...

my vote is for the orange...it is the pantone color of the year!

love love LOVE the wallpaper picks you posted for emmy's "nook". can't wait to see what you end up doing in there...and everywhere else!

yep, i'm here for the looooong haul so keep 'em coming!

Sarah said...

Can't wait to see that bathroom when you are done with it.

michelle said...

You are going to be a busy girl. :) It al sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see them as they unfold. I am so like you too, I will be in the middle of something and then all of a sudden switch to something else. I am like that dog from the movie "Up", Squirrel! :) My kids tease me about all the time.
xoxo

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Of course I'm going to stick around to watch your progress! I can't wait to see what you do with all those amazing inspiration photos.

{Hi Sugarplum!} said...

What a great list!!!! I can't wait to see it all come together!!

vintageshabbychicks said...

Hey Cassie...wow, that is quite a list! I know you will accomplish what you set your mind to! Good luck with all of it and maybe a pop of CeCe would be great for the front door:-)) Julie

Ashley Gillett said...

So excited to see all of your project ideas come to life! My Hubs is in love with our wood trim. So for now anyway, it's off limits to painting in my house. :( Good luck with yours!

Lindsey @ Better After said...

Can't wait to see what 2012 holds for you! I'm sure I'll be wowed, as usual! :)

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

We'll both be working on our kids rooms this year! Maybe we can keep each other motivated! Love the idea for your girl's closet doors - the woodland thing is so so cute!

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Love all your ideas -- are you really the Energizer Bunny in disguise? Whatever you do, it will look great!

Laurie LW said...

Cassie- we think and work alike-.
I am in the middle of painting my vanity a grey blue as we speak. What can I a great minds think alike.

Renee from Where the Grass is Greener said...

can't wait to see it all! And, yes, I think burnt orange or even red might work for that front door.

Lesley said...

I am weighing in on the blue. I like brown and blue together. Orange might look like you attempted a red door and got the wrong color. Maybe not, just my thoughts.

By the way...I do the same thing with projects. I should have continued working on a piece of furniture today and instead I got side tracked by the inspiration I came up with for my owl. I just go with it, because it feels unforced and 'right.'

I actually believe it is because I follow my artistic whims or moods, also known as following your Muse. It's part of being a creative person I think. Ya know?!

knack said...

I love your house! .....and I have been eyeing that octopus shower curtain FOREVER!! 2012 may be the year that I bite the bullet and purchase it! I can't wait to keep up with all that you do......those dining room stripes are just fantastic!

xo

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Have fun with your projects!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Fun projects! Well, fun for me who gets to watch and not lift a finger :)

Traci said...

I have to vote for aqua for the front door. But the burnt organe sounds good too. But then maybe you shouldn't listen to any thing I suggest, my front door is brown.
Traci

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

I love it all!! Great ideas...Emmy's room is going to be so awesome! I also vote for a saturated blue/green. And you know I am always for aqua ;)

The DIY Show Off said...

Love the plans, Cassie and can't wait to see the progress...I know everything is going to be fabulous! :)

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Can't wait for all those afters ... that's one ambitious list!

And thank you so much for featuring our "Imagine the Impossibilities" button and joining us in the challenge! Hopefully you'll be able to check one of those off your list ..

Linda
linda@itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Wow, these are all great goals! But of course I particularly love that you are going to paint Emmy's closet for the Impossibilities challenge. Thank you so much for joining and putting our button in your sidebar!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

P.S. I love that octopus shower curtain...is that stayin' or going? I ran across a place that sells amazing shower curtains and put it on my never ending list...I haven't made it anywhere near the guest bath!

andrea said...

Oh man, Cassie, you sure have a lot of work to do! It has taken us 5.5 years to de-Mack-i-fy our home and we're still not done (former owner named macky). SOooooo 60's. Your daughter's closet looks like it came from my house. We loved ripping those out and installing real closet organizers with pretty doors. It takes forever and it's a labor of love. Please keep showing us your photos along the way. andrea@townandprairie

pam {simple details} said...

Ha! I think I have those same brain cells, Cassie! What a fun list for 2012, looking forward to being inspired! Also, I vote for an orange door! :)

Erin said...

I love how you dream big, Cassie! You have so many wonderful ideas to make your home a reflection of your tastes and who you are. And with all those plans, you can jump around because you have enough projects to keep you occupied and not get too bored! ;)