Saturday, January 21, 2012

Some Gifts for Emmy & POWW Faves

It's Saturday!  That means today is Emmy's party!  The cupcakes are made, and the kids helped me decorate them...


Now I just need to spend the morning cleaning the house and getting everything really ready!

In my quest to really do better at creating handmade gifts for occasions other than Christmas this year, I made sure to give Emmy a couple "handmade" (more like upcycled) gifts for her birthday this year.   Since her room is going all "woodsy" on us,  I was ecstatic when I found this adorable large scale trinket holder at the Salvation Army!  And you see that price tag- yes I paid a whopping 75 cents, friends!  It's my favorite thrift shop for fun little vintage oddities.
I took a can of spray primer to it, and then a can of white spray paint, and now she has a cute little squirrel trinket box!

Emmy and I may be the only people who really truly love it, and that's ok.  Because that's all that matters.

Now, Emmy also loves to help in the kitchen.  Middletown offers a variety of "Mommy & Me" cooking classes for her age group.  So for her birthday, I let her choose the class she would like to attend with me (We are going to baking fun!), and I gave her some cooking tools to go with it.  She received a couple mini pizza pans, some aqua spatulas, a red flipper with a dog on it, and these wooden spoons which I painted for her with acrylic paint, and then wiped some polycrylic on (just the handles) to protect them as well as food.

She is looking forward to putting them to use!  And I am looking forward to spending a couple of hours in a baking class with her!

Let's check out POWW faves, shall we!  This week there were some fabulous striped projects, so let's check out some of those first!  And I really am just blown away by the wealth of creativity out there.  This week again, was one of those where I wanted to feature pretty much every piece.  You are all freaking amazing.
Love love love this dresser from my friend (in real life!) Kathy from All About Vignettes.  The colors and design are awesome!


And Sue at Uniquely Chic created this gorgeous beachy dresser!  How fun are those starfish?

Check out this bad-a** desk from Bad Rabbit Vintage!  Awesome!

And some striped-y honorable mentions go to....
June & Bear and Fab Rehab

I love love love the color (love it- did you catch that I love it???) on this amazing vintage desk from Emily's Upcycled Furniture!


My pal Ann Marie is always SO good.  You need to go to Twice Lovely to see this fabric covered piece!
P1070735
And Finally, the girls at Design Par Deux are always rocking my world with their fresh and modern style.  They know how to update a vintage piece... just check this one out!  Oh, and I am referring to the desk, but they did the awesome chair, too!  Design times two, Style times a million.
Double Take: Vanity Desk Before and After


Happy Happy Weekend!  Wish me luck as my house is about to be bombarded by 20 children!

And I also want to say a very very happy birthday to Cora, who turns 2 today and is doing well, though still confined at home for the most part.  If you have been following me for a while, then you know about Cora's battle with Aplastic Anemia, a life threatening disease.  You know about her super hero older brother who saved her life with his bone marrow.  And if you don't know all about it, check out her blog, pray for a continued path to health.  And you know that she is blessed and lucky to be celebrating her second birthday today.  I wish I could be there to celebrate with her, but germs must stay away from their home for Cora's continued health.  Heather, I know you read this, I love you!  We all wish we could be there celebrating with you.  I will be lighting an extra candle today for Cora on Emmy's cupcake, and thinking of you all.
I created some handmade gifts for Cora as well that I will be sharing next week.  She loves horses, so it's all horse related!

25 comments:

Anne said...

those are the cutest cupcakes! hope yall have a super fun birthday party! xoxo

Jacqueline said...

Cassie those cupcakes are so adorable!! Great features also!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Hooray for little girls getting better, white squirrels and stripes. What a great post! Happy birthday to Emmy...the party is sure to be a success with you as the planner!

Lisa Scibilia said...

Oh my gosh, Cassie, those cupcakes are SO cute and you are the best mom. Hope the party goes well and Emmy has a great day!

Lesley said...

Love the FAVS! You are very stripe-y today!! lol

Enjoy the party! :)

Kara @ June & Bear said...

gah! i love those cupcakes. crazy cute!

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

Fun cupcakes!! And thanks so much for the shout out! And that cobalt blue desk is to die for! I actually just picked up a quart of some bright blue enamel and am looking for just the right piece to paint that color too.

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

I love her birthday presents, and those cupcakes are amazing! Have fun today!!!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Those cupcakes are so sweet!

Richmond Thrifter said...

Happy birthday to Emmy and Cora too! Hope you guys have a blast!!!

Richmond Thrifter said...

Happy birthday to Emmy and Cora too! Hope you guys have a blast!!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Those cupcakes are adorable! And I love the trinket boxes too! You are wondefully creative! Have a great party Emmy and Happy Birthday Cora!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

The cupcakes are darling, but SO glad to hear about Cora!

Katie said...

So cute Cassie! I love it all! Both the cupcakes turned out great! I love Emmy's little trinket box, but I really love those wooden spoons! Precious! Hope she has a great birthday - Happy birthday to Cora too!

Ali Richardson said...

As previoiusly mentioned, those cupcakes are probably the cutest I've seen (and remember, eat an owl one for me). Those spoons and that trinket box are also freakin' adorable!! I can't wait to hear about the party :)
Happy b-day little Cora!!

Paisley Print Shoes said...

those cupcakes are so adorable!! i just found your blog today and i absolutely love it! newest follower! :)
happy birthday to cora and emmy!

Twice Nice said...

Great features from some very gifted gals! Put me in the category with you and Emmy, I loved your little trinket box find. I love squirrels, and owls, and lots of those little woodsy creatures you are creating over there! Deb

Kelly said...

Good luck today! Hope you have fun! BTW, that fabric-colored piece is STUNNING.

allaboutvignettes said...

Happy Birthday Emmy. What a great party. Love the cupcakes.
Cassie, thanks for featuring my striped dresser friend.

Kathy

Christine@Sally,Ry,andLaLa said...

love the cupcakes! pinning the pics!

studio1404 said...

Cassie, that trinket box is amazing! Perfect for Emmy's room. And, your gifts to her are perfect! You're such a sweet, thoughtful mama!

Rita said...

Totally LOVE the cupcakes! and I think you've inspired me to use stripes on my next project. I love all these stripes!!
Have a great rest of the weekend!

Allison said...

The cupcakes are so adorable and I bet the party was a lot of fun! I think that sweet trinket box was meant to be! How perfect for Emmy's room. How fun that you are going to take a Mommy and Me class! Love Emmy's cooking tools! You are a great mom, Cassie! Look at all of the talent in the featured projects!

Upscale Downhome said...

Great furniture pics this week. I guess everyone is feeling "stripey". :) I love the idea of a woodland theme for your daughter's room and can't wait to see all the details. I always had to have a treasure box to keep my special things in when I was little and now she has a treasure squirrel. I love it!

Kahli said...

Aww thanks Cassie for the feature on the cobalt desk. I guess I should have stapled the fabric on the seat first before taking the pic oops lol. But I wanted to make sure we liked it. I love the cupcakes yummy!