Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Color My World Coral: Paint Week Project 1

That's right folks!  It is paint week for the Color My World challenge, and you can see by my title that I have two projects I will be sharing... this one here followed by another one at my link party which will post one hour after this posts.

When I heard that there was a paint week, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I had been wanting to find a pair of chairs for our dining room table ends, and had already been looking though I was planning to paint them aqua.  Then the challenge came along and I knew that coral chairs would add a nice pop of color to the dining room.  Chairs are one of those things I always seem to find lots of-- except for when I am looking!  So the real reason I have two paint projects is that I was having no luck finding chairs and had to engage plan b.  But then of course after that was complete, I found chairs, 4 for $40 total.  They were vintage, had nice details, were large and perfect!  The only downside is that the seats are an off white naugahyde.  I know I can recover the seats, but my peeps, I have little kids.  I have had upholstered seats before which quickly became stained... so for now I am going to keep the easy-wipe naugahyde.  Anyhow, here is what I was working with....


I am not going to lie.  I hate sanding chairs.  So i tested an area of these (without sanding) with my trusty Benjamin Moore tinted primer (tinted in Ryan Red just like the paint).  Wouldn't you know it adhered, so I skipped the sanding step.  I wouldn't recommend doing this, but the chairs are for me, so I knew if anything went wrong it would be only me dealing with it and not an irate client. ;)

So I gave them all 4 coats of primer (you can never be too careful with reds!) and then gave them 2 coats of Ryan Red enamel paint.  Then I gave the seats a good scrubbing with comet cleanser to remove any paint splatters and also clean them thoroughly.  And now here they are in the dining room....
The Whole Room

One end of the table, with a lovely quote on the chalkboard!

Love those details!

Since there were 4 total, I placed one on either side of the sideboard.



Clearly now I need to re-accessorize the sideboard, but that will happen in time. :)
So what do you think?  I am pretty happy with how they brighten up the room!

Be sure to check out all the other challengers' paint projects this week!
Sharing here:
UndertheTableandDreamingA Diamond in the StuffDIY Show OffMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaPhotobucketThe 36th AVENUEJennifer Rizzo's POP OF COLOR party{Primp}PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridayshttp://www.findingfabulousblog.com/The Shabby Nestfive days five ways  feature friday free for allIt's OVerflowing

36 comments:

Mel said...

The colour is perfect! They are gorgeous chairs; good for big butts (not that any of you have them lol).

Great idea to leave the existing fabric.

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

The chairs look fab! A lovely pop of color in the dining room. You are really rocking the coral!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

seriously cassie--i'm still not done with my two end chairs and you did four and a desk already. the coral looks awesome with the gray stripes!

The Far Fifty said...

Ah man, you're dining room is supa-dupa FUN!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Oh my gosh - I love them! That color looks so great in your dining room! And that desk is so perfect too! What a cheery place to blog. I need a bloging desk- stat!

Janel@hatingmartha said...

I lost my dining room and found it again...it's in your house! Can you please return it? I love the coral! But your dining room is taking on a very happening eclectic look...so cute!

Bella said...

Your chairs are awesome and how lucky to find 4 matching for that price. The coral and aqua pair up really well! They may very well be my new fav color combo.

DecorandtheDog said...

I'm in love with your dining room!! It has this cozy family feel but yet still is like "I can hold (and rock) an adult dinner party." Good work, friend!

Emily said...

6 coats, omg! id have totally lost interest in finishing them!! they look great : )

Jill @weatheredpieces.com said...

Those chairs are perfect! And what a pop of color the add to the room! Fantastic job!

Jean @ Flower Hill said...

That coral looks amazing! Love the color!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

You have such a great eye for design Cassie! I love how your dining room has some antiques, some modern, and some rustic pieces. It flows beautifully! :)

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Oh those chairs! I love the mix of coral with the super modern ones! I want your entire dining room!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Perfection! I LOVE the colors!

Kelly said...

WOW! The coral in your dining room looks like it was meant to be there from the start. I hope you love it and leave it there for good! It is aMAZing!

Jessamie Vincent said...

I cannot believe I missed this Part 1...these chairs are OFF-THE-CHARTS amazing! And you're dining room, please! Love the whole thing!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I LOVE that color in your dining room! Perfect!

Megan said...

I super heart LOVE your dining room, but those chairs are now such a great addition in their new color!! Great now I'm gonna have to paint something coral :)

gail said...

FAB chairs! oh my! that's a great price, and they look so great in your dining room. Yeah, you have plenty of time to redo the seats down the road...
gail

gail said...

FAB chairs! oh my! that's a great price, and they look so great in your dining room. Yeah, you have plenty of time to redo the seats down the road...
gail

Ange said...

Love the chairs! Those turned out so pretty and look great in the dining room. Of course I love the desk too with the gold chalkboard, how perfect together! :)

Katie said...

I'm seriously loving these pops of color Cassie! It's so subtle but really brightens up the space! Looks great with your aquas and grays too!

amy of the salvage collection said...

who knew your beautiful DR needed anything? those pops of coral are gorgeous!!

simplyvonne said...

i simply love the whole room and also that blue buffet table!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love your dining room, the buffet and the mix of styles of chairs and new color!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Oh how I love red - they add so much pizazz! Love them mixed with the mod chairs too!

Love a color embracing gal!
Kelly

Chase the Star said...

LOVE IT!! What a great look! I am pinning it! Also a new GFC follower!

Barbara @ Chase the Star

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Alright, this might be slightly dramatic... but it's like these chair colors were meant to be in this space! Seriously, the red is perfect!! Bravo.

A Lived in Home said...

The coral looks amazing!! Great job and mix of chair styles!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Oh Cassie, I LOVE it! This is such a pretty color in your room. It's just the perfect pop!

Haydee said...

Stunning...I've been wanting to do something in coral and was trigger shy...love the combo of the coral, turquoise and stripes..Beautifully done.

Stacey said...

I love those chairs Cassie! And your sideboard is just beautiful!!!
Stacey :o)

Abbie said...

Um YES!

And you know I love me some coral!

Featuring you today over at the Free-for-all! : )

~Abbie

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Um...DARLING! That's a good color for your room. Very happy! My friend covers her fabric covered seats with clear vinyl from the fabric store. Works pretty good!

Anne said...

Oh so pretty! I hate sanding too!!

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Cassie, the chairs look fantastic! LOVE the paint color you used!