Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Another PIece of My Bedroom Pie: Custom Headboard (And a Little Guestroom Update)

So on Monday I shared with you a little peek into our master bedroom makeover that is still a work in progress.  Soon I will have this headboard installed to give it a better showing, but I couldn't wait to share it!

A while back I shared with you that my neighbor is ridiculously talented- he can pretty much build anything and is hoping to have a career in furniture construction/carpentry.  Anyhow, he agreed to help me with a headboard for my bedroom. I showed him some images of things I liked and I knew I wanted it to be planked and rustic looking, but I wanted a smooth outline for a streamlined touch.  Obviously, I could do the finishing work myself, so he brought it over to me when it was finished.... and it was GLORIOUS!

Here it is in its before state:

Travis, my neighbor, had sanded it to a nice smooth finish to the touch, even though it looks rougher.  Before I stained it, I used Minwax wood conditioner.  This step helps ensure even staining in the wood.  I wiped it on with a rag, and then waited 15 minutes.  Then I wiped off any excess that had not dried, and I was ready to stain!

I chose Jacopbean Walnut by Minwax because I wanted a dark rich look.  I used a brush to apply so I could get into all the little crevices.  I worked from the bottom up,  staining plank by plank.

After brushing it on, I used a rag to wipe off.  Here you can see the naked wood, then the dark strip is where it had been brushed on, and the next strip down is where it had been wiped with a rag.

Once the stain had dried overnight, I used Minwax wipe on poly to give it a final protection.  I applied two coats.

And here is the headboard now!




I am SO happy with it!  Travis could not have done a better job- it's truly beautiful!  I can't wait to get it installed!

Oh, and so I know just last week I showed you a little impromptu gallery wall I threw up in the guest room.  Well guess what?  I finally found artwork that was just perfect for that wall!  While out at yard sales this past weekend, I found these Currier and Ives lithographs, framed in gold frames, for just $5 each.  There were actually 6, but 2 were a little mismatched in size.  (Oh, and I made a bargain and got all 6 for $20!).  Anyhow, I hung them yesterday and love how they tie into the colors of the room as well as the gold of the sunburst mirror.  Plus, they are all farm and country scenes which work well with our home.  (And the frames on the prints on the right are slightly darker).  Oh, and another fun fact is that they were all framed at a furniture place in Frederick- I thought that was neat!



Aren't they beautiful!  And there are only two extra nail holes behind those pictures... I am getting better at eyeballing... ;)

And just for fun....

The kids have been going to an art camp this week where they learn about bugs and do bug related creative projects.  This picture was taken just after leaving the building yesterday- they are such goofballs!  No idea where they get it from.
Photobucket

49 comments:

Storywood Designs said...

I love that headboard! He did a fantastic job on it. I've been looking for one with similar lines to upholster. Can't wait to see how it looks in the room!

Renee said...

Wow! Gorgeous headboard. You're lucky to have someone so talented near you...you guys make quite a creative team!

andrea@townandprairie said...

Isn't it amazing when people can build furniture from scratch?? He did an EXCELLENT job!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Great headboard! Love the dark stain.

Catherine said...

I love your headboard - looks fantastic! I can't wait to see the finished product - your room is really going to look amazing!

Dana Frieling said...

It's beautiful, Cassie! He did such a great job. The two of you could really make a pair.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

The curves on that headboard are awesome! Travis has mad skills! And the dark stain gives it a rich rustic feel. ... I could see that headboard beautifully painted too. Maybe you and Travis need to team up, in business of course!

Allison@FabRehab said...

That is a KILLER headboard!! Lucky lady...I wish I had a Travis!

Erin @ His and Hers said...

I love the shape! And rich wood + those gorgeous navy walls= perfect. Can Travis be my neighbor next? Can you ask him if he is interesting in moving?

DecorandtheDog said...

Your kids kill me!

I'm drooling big time over that headboard!! Perfection.

My neighbor has a mullet. Yours wins.

Cathy Wall said...

I am green with envy! The headboard is just stunning, what an amazing collaboration. The perfect choice for your bedroom Cassie.
Your goofballs are too adorable!

Heather said...

Looks amazing, Cassie. Love the walnut finish on it - very rustic and yet refined at the same time. Can't wait for the final reveal!!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Wow, that headboard is beautiful- it could go in any direction style-wise, just depending on the finish. I could even see it upholstered. Wish I had a neighbor like that! :)
Oh, and your kiddos are too funny! ;]

The Bold Abode said...

How completely incredible! He did an SERIOUSLY AMAZING JOB!!!! I can't wait to see it in yo room!

Upscale Downhome said...

Love the shape of the headboard! Can't wait to see it installed.

Twice Nice said...

What a COOL headboard! How fun to have a furniture carpenter so close by. Minwax's Jacobean stain is my fave for a pretty dark color. That's going to look amazing in your room. Your kids are adorable!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

how great is it to have a customized headboard for your master! you lucky girl. It turned out fabulous, and I love the color.
the guest room is so pretty, and the kids? goofy--just like their mama!

gail

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

It's a beautiful headboard! Glorious is a perfect description ;-)

Anne said...

Beautiful headboard!
xx
Anne

Dear Emmeline said...

I want it!!! But no seriously I've been looking for a simple rustic 4 poster or canopy bed with a similar feel. Maybe I'll have to DIY it!

pam {simple details} said...

I can already picture it with that turquoise dresser - yikes, totally fabulous! Your kids? Would have never guessed, they don't look a thing like you! :)

Bliss said...

I LOVE how it turned out. That rustic board look mimics a classier pallet look. Wonderful, pinning it to remind me not to look past this style headboard at sales.

~Bliss~

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I am in LOVE with that headboard. Can I ask a geeky, I read DIY blogs to learn things question? Why do you start at the bottom? :)

And your kids are too funny!!

Hetty said...

Love the dark stain on that headboard and thanks for your tip to use prestain!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that headboard. It's going to look amazing against that dark blue.

I laughed out loud at the picture of your kids when I saw it on FB yesterday. So fun!

Andi Morris said...

Oh my! What an AMAZING headboard!! Wow! He has a bright future! Love the stain. I want to move into your bedroom :) Those prints look like they were meant to go in that spot. And you already know I love your kids!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

I love it! The curves and size are just gorgeous!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Hello talent living next door! That headboard is freaking amazing!

Sara {Sara's Closet} said...

Cassie!

That headboard is gorgeous! Pretty awesome having a carpenter that close to home :)

Ali Richardson said...

The headboard is SO amazing! I can't wait to see it in your gorgeous room. I love the art in my room too - perf! Your kiddos are so adorable :) Give them a hug for me!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

You have the best. neighbor. EVER. He needs to come live next to me (c: That is going to be epically awesome in the newly redone MBR! I can't wait to see it all come together! And I love your little goofballs, too (c:

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

With all the upholstered headboards I've been seeing lately this is a nice, refreshing change. It's totally stunning!! My neighbour brought me a nice dessert last week but one who makes furniture is a keeper!!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Gorgeous headboard, Cassie!! Your neighbor is one talented dude and your finish is the perfect choice! Love the lithographs -- and the price...kudos!!
xo Heidi

CathySchmathy said...

Lovely work! I wish I had neighbors that talented and generous.

Question/confirmation: the wood conditioner can be used under oil-based stains, too? The can in my garage says it's for use with water based stains, but I've been really tempted to try it for my current in-progress project. The headboard looks great, so it obviously worked just fine. Any suggestions for a relative newbie?

Bella said...

Your new headboard is killuhhh! What a great shape...Travis is the man!

Kahli said...

I love that headboard! Your neighbor is a talented man. I hope he never moves!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your neighbour is very talented. That is the perfect combination of rustic plank and refined. Love it!

Good Time Charlie said...

Stunning, absolutely stunning. I have envy all over me now for that headboard, and to have a neighbor like that!!!

Your kids look adorable, how fun!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Cassie - I love the headboard. Travis is amazing (you too!). can't wait to see it in place.
you're kids are cute. how are you surviving summer holidays?
cheers Fiona

Rebecca said...

Oh wow! I'm speechless, that's just beautiful. It's so nice having great neighbors, huh??!!

Allison said...

That headboard is fabulous! Just beautiful! Your neighbor is extremely talented. What a treat to have him make that for you. Your new prints are perfect for your room. May I put my order in now for a mask? I love those! I need one to hand out candy on Halloween. Your kiddos are adorable.

Restyled Vintage said...

What a cool neighbour, that headboard is amazing!

Now if I wish you a Happy Birthday again, it is going to say the 8th on the comment, even though it is the 9th here in Aus. So I'll say Happy Birthday for the 9th, hope you have a wonderful day. My Dad's birthday is August 9th, he turned 64 today :)

xx Karen

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cassie,
How nice to have a neighbor with so much talent...it looks outstanding. What a darling pic of your kids. Thanks for coming by for a visit.

Blessings,
Linda

Kelly said...

The shape of that headboard is rocking my entire world right now. PERFECTION.

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

I love the way your staining turned out! And thanks for sharing the tip on the pre-staining treatment. I have a table to refinish one of these days, and this might just inspire me to move faster on the project!
PS - does your neighbour have any relies living in my area? ;-)

Serendipity Refined said...

Your new headboard is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to see the whole room!

Heather @ The JUNKtion said...

I am LOVING the headboard. The planks are perfect for it and the stain color is beautiful. Truly love it!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I LOVE it! The rustic finish is perfect.. but the smooth lines of the outline are amazing! Well done! Does he sell them? HA!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

It's beautiful! I love the curves - you and Travis make a great team!