Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rustic Wine Crates and A Little Trip to the Emergency Room

So yesterday Emmy was home with me as Kindergarten does a staggered start.  She had her first day Monday, then goes back today. My business partner, Sarah aka The Thriftress, was coming over so we could go thrift and then come back so our daughters could play and we could all have lunch together (including a salad I was going to make using figs from my mom's fig tree!)  Well, plans totally changed.

Let me backtrack a little here.  A few days ago, Emmy had accidentally broken a drinking glass.  It was one of Sawyer's Star Wars drinking glasses I had given him for his birthday, so I was consoling him while Chris cleaned up, and tossed the glass into the kitchen trash.

Yesterday when I went to put the trash out, I didn't think about that glass.... I carried it out to the driveway and felt something sharp, so I tried to move the bag to readjust.  When I did, that something sharp (which turned out to be two sharp pieces of the glass poking out) cut me deeply in two places across my left calf.  It was pretty messy and scary and I was bleeding heavily.  I ran into the house where Emmy was in the kitchen, and I grabbed some paper towels and wet them quickly and sat on the floor.  Emmy stayed very calm, thankfully, and as I asked her to get more paper towels and wet them for me, she obliged and was super helpful.  I called Chris in a panic, because I didn't even know what hospital to go to, but I knew I needed to go.  He suggested I call our neighbor, so I did.  It turned out Travis, my amazingly talented neighbor who built my headboard, was still home and about to take his daughter to school.  He came right over and even brought bandages and wrapped up my leg for me.  He then drove me, Emmy, and his daughter to the emergency room.  Once I was checked in, he took Emmy with him to bring his daughter to school.  (She happens to be in Sawyer's class so I made sure to tell her when she got to school to let him know I was OK.  I was afraid she was going to let him know that she and her dad brought me to the hospital and I didn't want him to worry).  He then waited in the lobby with Emmy.  I ended up having staples put in my leg- I didn't count and I didn't really look as it was pretty gross... but I would guess there are somewhere between 10 and 15 staples in my leg at the moment.  It's covered with bandages thankfully, so I don't have to look at it til it's time to change bandages (as I typed this yesterday afternoon!)

I am doing fine, and the doctor said I would be able to even ride my bike with the staples in.  I took yesterday easy and sat on the couch with my leg up, but I think by tomorrow I will be ready to try heading out for a ride.  I learned a couple of things through all of this....
1. If you throw broken glass into your trash, take it out immediately, or wrap it in newspaper before even throwing it away.
2. Good neighbors are priceless, and we have the best.  We will be surprising them with a gift card to Carraba's (one of their favorite places to go) as well as an offer to babysit whatever night they use it.  I don't know what I would have done if Travis had not been home, and I am so thankful.

I am stapled and put back together, and am thankful for general good health.  A few staples never hurt.  I may end up with some scars, but at least I have my legs, right?

Now onto today's project!  Recently I acquired a few empty wine crates.  Don't ask how.  I didn't drink all the wine that came in them...  Ha ha!  Seriously though a friend gave me some stuff to take home and she used them just to box them up, so they were free to me!  I knew I could use them for something, and literally two days after I got them I came across this post from Sand and Sisal.  And I pinned it faster than you can say pinspiration!

Kim took this plain old box....
wine crate

And gave it a more weathered look and added handles...
Wine Crate Storage

Didn't Kim do an awesome job?  I love the washed gray look she gave these boxes.  You can read the full tutorial for hers on her site.

I didn't take a picture of mine before, but they were similar to Kim's- just plain unfinished wood with the brands stamped onto them.  I did have to remove some sticky labels as well and sand those areas lightly.

I wanted mine to have a warm rustic look, so I used Annie Sloan dark wax to both stain and finish them.  I used a rag to just wipe it on.

Then I went through my stash of hardware to find some handles I thought would fit each well.  I drilled holes, added the handles, and voila!

This one had a red stain on the two ends of the box, and I sanded it to weather it before I applied the wax.



Thank you so much, Kim, for the inspiration!

Photobucket
Sharing here:
Nellie Beliie Stinky Linky

61 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Thank goodness for Travis and sweet Emmy! I was wondering how you got to the hospital - whew! Take care and don't over do it! ... Love the wine crates, they look cool and vintage now!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

So that's what your facebook post was about! So sorry to hear that - what a bummer, glad all it took were a few staples and you'll be good as new! I am a NUT about broken glass and the lids of cans - I wrap them all in paper bags before throwing in the trash ever since cutting into a tendon on my hand washing dishes when I was a teenager (that's one way to get out of doing the dishes!). Glad you are okay!!!!

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

PS I'm in love with your wine crates!!! I want to put casters on one for magazines and kids' junkety junk that piles up around the house. Wish I lived closer to you so I can talk you into selling me these!

Storywood Designs said...

So glad you are okay... how scary! I can't believe you're talking about getting out on your bike to ride either. I'd be milking that injury for all it's worth - it's definitely worthy of a weekend on the couch and lots of movies!

Catherine said...

Of course those crates look wonderful, but Cassie!! I hope you're ok. It happens so easily doesn't it? Rush rush, and we forget. Look after yourself, and give that gorgeous girl and hug from all of us!

Sophia's said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'll definitely remember this next time I have something sharp in the trash. I'm glad you're okay though.

The wine crates look awesome!

Kristen

The Far Fifty said...

Oh my gosh, you poor girl! Take it easy and be careful would ya? Glad Emmy was a trooper and you have such a good nieghbour!

Megan said...

Whew, I thought you were going to say it was one of the kids! I'm glad you are ok and I agree good neighbors are priceless!!

Dear Emmeline said...

I saw yesterday on a few blogs you commenting about your leg...scary....so glad you are ok....I meant to email you yesterday but was out of the house all evening. Love the crates! I was just given two big round cheese boxes with the writing on the sides/lids! It might be fun to do something like this with them too!

Lesley said...

STAPLES???!!!! WOW. That was one deep deep cut! OUCH! Ugh. Sorry about that one Cassie. Talk about the Empire striking back! lol (sorry, I had to say it. lol)

Great wine crate too, but...the stapled leg. Wow....may the force be with you. ;)

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Crates=good. Staples in your leg=bad! You know how sorry I am that this happened! Rest up so we can thrift next Thursday!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Yay for Travis! I was stapled back together twice, and the little tiny spots fade after awhile. Glad you kept the leg; it's hard to bike without it.

Dana Frieling said...

What an exciting adventure! Glad you're all put back together again. Everyone needs a neighbor like yours and everyone needs to BE a neighbor like yours. The wine crates turned out great. Nothing better than a little rustic yumminess in every space!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

oh no! I'm so sorry, my problem with breaking a glass is that I never clean it up well enough and there is always a piece I step on weeks later. I hope it heals well and there isn't much of a scar :)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I'm so glad to hear your okay, Cassie! That sounds like it was definitely a scary experience. I'm so glad you have such a sweet neighbor to help you out. Take it easy! I love your crates too. Megan

reFresh reStyle said...

That's a lot of staples! I'm glad you're ok and yes, Travis is wonderful! Thanks goodness for neighbors!

Oh and your crates are wonderful!
I hope you have a speedy recovery,
Debbie

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

So glad to hear you're ok! I hope it heals quickly!

Love the wine crate!!!

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

I am freaking over the amount of staples. Thank God you're ok, and for great neighbors!!! Those boxes turned out fabulous by the way :)

Susan said...

Your wine crate makeovers are gorgeous!

Thank goodness your neighbor was home, and was able to take you to the hospital. How scary would it have been if he wasn't home?

Allison@FabRehab said...

Oh my gosh...what an ordeal! I am so glad you're ok and hopefully not too sore! Love the wine crate but love your neighbor more!

Junky Vagabond said...

I love these wine crates! A ton are being used right now as shelves in my junk room/office - love the washed and handled look for a different look.

And good for you for not letting this stop you from biking! Glad you're ok :)

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oh no! So glad you're ok. Too bad it wasn't a little closer to Halloween, you could have done something really cool with all of those staples in your leg! :)

I've heard that you can pick up the wine crates for free most times at the liquor store. They would be such great storage options! Love how they turn out when treated with the dark wax.

Janel from NellieBellie said...

I'm so glad you are okay!! Scary!
And sad to lose a Star Wars glass (priorities :)).
But..the boxes! Amazing!

I Play Outside The Box said...

Sorry to hear you cut your leg...you certainly do have a great neighbor though.

Love how the wine crates turned out.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I am soooo glad you're ok!!! Good neighbors are the best. :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

So sorry for your accident, Cassie! Hope your leg knits back together quickly and well.

Lesli at My Old Country House said...

Never a dull moment right! so glad you are okay!!
hey, I just reverted my Google +1 account back to regular blogger to get my email back, can you tell me if it comes up when you review this comment?
Take it easy... Yes you CAN ride your bike...but give yourself a few days to really heal before you get more blood pumping to that area...sorry the Nurse combined with the MOM in me never goes away...XO

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the crates! So glad for the happy ending to your adventure. Take care!

Erin said...

Eee, what a scary accident! Glass cuts hurt the worst but how fortunate everything worked out. Take care of yourself, Cassie, and don't over do it, even though it's tempting! :)

Twice Nice said...

I've seen that same thing happen to someone at church taking out the trash (tin coffee can lids, who knew)! I'm so glad you are on the mend now and what a great blessing good neighbors are. Love those boxes! The handles were a great inspiration!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

I am so glad I'm not the trash taker outer in my house ;) My girl would have been flipping out - so props to Emmy for staying calm! Glad your okay! Love these crates - I need some now!

Decor & Harmony said...

Wow who knew that taking out the trash could be such a hazard, I'm glad you're okay. I love the crates. I have a couple that I need to jazz up.....I just don't know how to use a drill....one day I'll learn. Have a great Thursday!

One bolt short of a toolbox said...

Hope you're feeling better soon, by the way, i adore those wine crates!

Jan @ door251

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

Good grief, lady! I gotta be honest though, I stopped reading once I got to the part about staples...my stomach flipped and I can't get sick at work. But the crates look cool! Feel better!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

ouch! Chris must feel awful! :( poor guy.
Yep, I'm always so careful when I break a glass. It was weird with your circumstance because you weren't the one who cleaned it up and put it in the trash. Glad you're all fixed up, and you have that awesome neighbor! (and a brave little soldier in emmy)
wine crates...I wouldn't even know where to get such goodies! They look fabulous! I have about a bazillion handles, maybe I should start drinking wine. ???
gail

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

Deep cuts are scary...I've been there. So glad you are ok and that you had somebody nearby to help. Take it easy and let it heal! Love the wine crates. I have quite a few and love the idea of adding handles!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh that is really scary!! I am so sorry you had to go to the ER and have so many staples put in. So glad it wasn't worse. Wow, things can change so fast, with little household accidents. I have had my share of cuts from glass, and two dumb trips to the ER for deep cuts in each thumb (one year apart, same ER doctor each time, yes, this was embarrassing). So glad you had a good neighbor to take care of everything. I hope it isn't hurting too much!

On a happier note, the wine crates look awesome. I actually have a neat one in my garage a client gave me last year, it has lid on it, I needed the reminder to get it out and give it to someone. It would be awkward if the Mormon family had a wine crate on display in their home for decorative purposes......

Don't push yourself too much, even if you feel good, remember it takes your body a while to heal!

Bliss said...

The last person I call is my husband. He would come home to staple, glue or stitch me up himself! He takes the DIY thing way too serious.

Glad your leg is back together so you can admire your cute crates.

~Bliss~

Ali Richardson said...

My heart skipped a beat when I read your FB post when I woke up and it started with "I'm in the hospital." Once I realized you weren't in grave danger, I was back to a regular rythm. Such a bummer that you got cut!Ouch! I'm so happy to hear that emmy was a champ. I'm sure you were setting a great exapmle by not freaking out. Great mama award for sure!! I wish I was one of your awesome neighbors :/
LOVE those wine crates of course.
XOXO

Allison said...

I hope for a speedy recovery for you! That was scary and yes, thank goodness for your wonderful neighbor. Great reminder to wrap the broken glass in newspaper first. I know I have been guilty of just tossing the broken glass in the trash. The wines crates look great!

Ange said...

Oh my goodness! I am glad you are ok, how scary! I would have probably passed out and bled to death. ;) Also love the crates, those turned out beautifully! I think I may have a problem using exclamation points.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch! Cassie, I could barely read this... hope you are okay and back to creating real soon.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Booooo on the unusual twist to yesterdays plans, but I am SO glad that you are ok. xo & those wine crates are awesome.... they are so simple but could be used in so many different ways. :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

So glad you're okay, Cassie! What a scary thing! Here's to a speedy recovery!!
xo Heidi

Anna said...

Glad you're ok! That must have been scary! What a blessing for good neighbors

Renee said...

sorry to hear about your mishap! OUCH! Its nice to have great neighbors. We are lucky to have them, too. Hope you are on the mend. Now I know what to do with my wine crates!!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Sorry to hear about your mishap and glad you are okay. Sounds like you have great neighbours too. My mom always made sure we put broken glass in newspaper and then in an empty cereal or cracker box because she once saw a garbage man get cut badly on pick up day at a neighbour's home.

Great wine crates. I love wooden boxes. The more the merrier ;)

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Wow....nothing like neighbors you can count on.....irreplaceable. Glad everything worked out OK. Take it easy....bet that is very hard for you. Great project, BTW.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

So sorry to hear about this! Somethings are just crazy! Hope you heal up quick!

Nancy @ Life: Designed said...

Ouch... I cringed the first half of the post and smiled the second half. I LOVE what you and Kim did to the wine crates! I saw some at a thrift shop months ago and regret not picking them up! PS Glad to hear you're not too badly injured! =)

17 Perth said...

Holy cow. That made for an exciting day huh? What an amazing neighbor you have....I am so glad you are okay!!

Also---my mom has an empty wine crate similar to these---now I just need to talk her in to letting me have it. Haha. Such a creative and useful idea. Love it with the rolled up towels.

Kathy said...

I'm glad your leg is OK & hope that it heals quickly!
I'm so loving your wine crates! Wondering how I could get some of those??! Blessings!

Erin @ His and Hers said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad you're okay! How scary. We usually wrap our glass in some plastic bags before putting it in the trash. Now I know why.

And a million times congrats on your Blue Ribbon nomination! THAT is more exciting than a trip to the emergency room. ;)

pam {simple details} said...

I missed this yesterday, I hope you're out cruising on your bike and all is well! Thank goodness for great neighbors and brave kiddos! Those wine crates...YES, please!

maria mcclure said...

Cassie! Gorgeous redos! Sorry about your leg, but I know what you mean about great neighbors! Wishing you quick healing.

Serendipity Refined said...

I love your crates, the staples in your leg...well..notsomuch! Heal quickly girlfriend! xo

DecorandtheDog said...

So the lesson is that you make the husband take the trash out, right?? Right. :)

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Take it easy. Rest that leg!!

Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage said...

Of course we are SO glad you are okay! Don't want to think too much on it.. You sound like me. Just fix it, I'll be strong, but I'm not looking. LOL. You just heal up and feel better :) Take care of yourself!!

PS-The crates are cute.

Bella said...

Yikes! That's so scary. So glad your neighbor was around to help you!

These crates are so cool! You did a great job aging them. Can't wait to see how you use these.

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

Yikes, Cassie, what a scarey story. I was almost afraid to keep reading. Holy cow! So glad you're ok...

Love what you did with the wine crates, and Kim's is awesome, too.

I hope you have a really good weekend in spite of the staples... you might just have to ejoy the contents of another wine box, too! ;-)

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

I am so sorry I am just now reading this. I saw your wrapped leg on Instagram, and I haven't had time to investigate what happened!! (hanging head in shame..bad blog friend. :( )
Glad you are ok, that is really scary, I think I would have passed out!