Thursday, September 13, 2012

Navy Desk and Entry Update (and Catch Part 3 of My Furniture Painting Series!)


Happy Thursday!  I hope you are all enjoying this week and it is just as gorgeous where you are as it is here.  Yesterday I headed out for my first bike ride since the frankenleg incident... it was HARD after two weeks off, but it also felt so good to be outside with the fresh air blowing on my cheeks.  I also couldn't hold back any longer, and went ahead and decorated for Halloween.  I will share pictures soon, I promise.

Today I want to share with you a desk I made over and decided to use in my own home.  I hadn't planned to, but it was just too perfect for our entry.  I bought this little desk off craigslist and it definitely needed some love.

I am sharing all the details of the makeover today over at The DIY Club (including paint color and brand, my new favorite finishing wax, and the knob source) but I wanted to show you the change it made in our home.

In the Spring I made some more colorful changes, and added a happy green to our entry:

With the recent addition of more navy to our home and Fall on the brink, I was feeling the need to tone down the color.  This little desk was the perfect fit and color!  I also added a bushel basket for a little Fall flair, and more functionally as a shoe receptacle.  I am always finding my kids shoes all over the house, and now when I find them I can dump them in here!  Plus, it helps to hide the ugly wall vent.

How awesome is that furry weather stripping? Don't worry- it's fake fur.


I just love the rustic glam look- the mix of the gold mirror, gold owl, pearly knobs paired with the distressed rustic desk, weathered basket, and old book.  This little area makes me happy.

And if you peeked into the dining room, you may have noticed I made some minor changes to the table  and sideboard to bring in the Fall.

 Yep, the dog bed's still in there, and if you look closely you can spy where we store our unopened apple juice! (under the chair to the left of the buffet).  Y'all know I like to keep it real.

On the table I added a beautiful ruffled runner that my wonderfully talented friend Sharon of Elizabeth and Company made for me.  It's actually burlap on the other side, but I loved the look of the natural canvas for right now. I added a slice of tree trunk from a tree that fell last fall, and on top of that a cute silver pair of squirrel salt and pepper shakers I found at a yard sale.  On either end of the runner, I have my Nana's Lenox candlesticks, which are part of the entire dish set I have.  I love that it's rustic, yet elegant all together.

Seriously how cute are these guys?

On the sideboard, I cleared most of it off, and then added more gifts from friends.  My good friend Allison at Fab Rehab sent me this vintage owl picture a long time ago.  I finally framed it and set it on the buffet.

On the left side is a white faux bois vase with a squirrel on it (it was vintugly when I found it, but a fresh coat of white made it lovely!). This side also features my mercury glass owl from my bestie, Ali of My Third True Love, and an awesome Heart for Haiti she just gave me for my birthday.

I love sitting in my dining room, enjoying our beautiful view of the mountains, but now the view inside reminds me of the friends I have made on this incredible blogging journey.  I absolutely love these reminders.... There are definitely days where I think I don't want to blog anymore.  It's a lot of work.  It's a lot of maintenance.  And sometimes it's a lot like high school.  But when I look at these reminders of friendship, true friendships that have evolved through blogging, it keeps me keeping on.  YOU keep me keeping on, because I don't ever want to let go of those friendships.  Thank you.

Oh, and September is our anniversary month, (September 20), so I chose a quote for the chalkboard that I love but also reflected our life.  It's from the song "April Come She Will" by Simon and Garfunkel.  I sang this song in choir my sophomore year of high school and fell in love with it.  The quote is special because I love the song, and it seemed to fit perfectly to my life right now.

I sent this picture to my best friend from high school because aside from thinking of my own marriage, and a love grown old (older, more weathered, and stronger from it), I also thought of her.  I thought of sitting next to her in that choir room down in G hall as we sang our hearts out, before we even knew what love really was.  Years have passed, and loves have come and gone, but she has always been there, and I love that I can think about her, those memories come rushing back with one simple quote.

Now, one other thing for the day....
If you recall I am writing a series on different paints for furniture over at Remodelaholic.  So far we have covered Cece Caldwell's paint, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and today I am covering Old Fashioned Milk Paint.  That post will be live later this morning, so be sure to check it out for my thoughts on it!
Photobucket
Sharing here:

JENNIFER RIZZO

Photobucket
The Shabby NestFurniture Feature FridaysMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

50 comments:

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

Everything looks so cute! Love the little squirrels on the tree trunk! - Susan

Tonya Diehl said...

The little navy desk turned out so cute! It looks great on that wall too!!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

The desk is perfect for your space! I love the mix of gold and navy too!

Megan said...

The navy is a good color in your house, those squirrels are freaking adorable! Im so glad you got to go for a bike ride :) No more trips to the ER mmmmkay?

Holly said...

The navy table is perfect for your foyer. It opens to hide all the mail and stuff that lingers in the foyer. Your Antiques sign in the dining room is so cool!

Richmond Thrifter said...

Another fabulous transformation!!! You never disappoint! Love the desk!

Ange said...

You know I'm a sucker for anything navy, love the desk in the entryway! Glad you were able to get back in the saddle so to speak and even enjoy it. Now no more freak injuries!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

What a find. I love the blue!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

If that's liquor under the window, you will soon have to lock that stuff up. Or you can just ship it to me and I will keep it for you. Our anniversary is in September, too--9/10/83. Closing in on thirty.

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

I love all the fall touches you've added in. Rustic glam is my favorite combo. Those squirrel s&p shakers are awesome!!!

Angela

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Love the navy! Great choice for the paint color it looks perfect in your foyer!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love the navy desk in your foyer. You are rockin the rustic glam look! And I'm glad you are enjoying your runner and other sweet gifts. Having items in your home with special meaning are what what make it a real home. And I totally agree, I so treasure the personal connections with my bloggy friends. So happy to count you as a dear friend!

DawnMc said...

I love the antique sign in the dining room...and the apple juice :)

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

You just converted me: rustic glam is my new favorite style! Love the navy desk and gold accents and your dining table vignette!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Love the dark blue desk and those kinds of pieces are perfect for an entryway since they're compact and they hide clutter. The bushel basket is a great idea too!

Andrea said...

The navy desk with the gold mirror above it makes my heart flutter!! I love it. What a sweet post. I can see why you have so many wonderful friends. Love that quote too.

Andrea said...

The navy desk with the gold mirror above it makes my heart flutter!! I love it. What a sweet post. I can see why you have so many wonderful friends. Love that quote too.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

that navy is such a grounding color for that piece right there. perfect update. :)

Heather said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and back to a more normal routine (it does feel good, doesn't it).

The nay desk is awesome - I love how you kept it rustic looking especially with the apple basket below.

You scared me when you said you had decorated for Halloween. Until I saw what you did - LOVE the tree stump and squirrels!!

Kelly said...

Only you would change out your furniture colors with the seasons!

Bliss said...

Looking good, but I couldn't find the darn apple juice so glad you told me where to look.

~Bliss~

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

You can never go wrong with navy and gold! Your house is looking so pretty and serene Cassie. I love all of the touches of nature...the wood, the animals, etc. Everything is beautiful, but your personality shines through too...as opposed to looking like it came straight out of a catalog.

reFresh reStyle said...

You're too funny, I don't keep it real. I would scare too many people! Love everything, those little squirrels are perfect.

Twice Nice said...

I love how your house is coming together, and yet always evolving to be fresh each season! Wish I was doing that! Ha. Those squirrels are darling and so fun.

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Love the navy with the gold mirror - so pretty! Your dining room is stunning!

pam {simple details} said...

LOVED this post!

The makeover!
The apple juice :)
The quote and your memories!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

I love your home! & I love the thought that goes into each detail. Again, you're my home-style-icon. I luv u! Xo

Lisa at Shine Your Light said...

Your house is looking so pretty and authentic - you put so much personality into your decorating and I totally love that about you, Cassie!
Okay I'm heading over to read your takes on the different paints!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

I love your attention to detail Cassie! You tie all the little details together perfectly. And I am SO glad you got to go on a bike ride!!!!

Storywood Designs said...

I love the little navy desk! Your fall changes in the dining room and a trip to Carolina Pottery this morning have me ready to haul my fall boxes down from the attic. Glad you got out on your bike - this weather is amazing!

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

I LOVE a good secretary desk. And that color, so good!

Ali Richardson said...

Love love love it all! The navy desk is perfection! I'm so happy the little hoot and heart made it into the mix. I think about you many many times a day and so wish we could be together. XOXO

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

Another great piece added to the mix! I'm so happy to hear you got out on your bike - that must have felt exhilarating and a little scary at the same time. How did your leg feel? Was it a little tight? I really like your bushel basket - perfect for its function and fall flair!

Allison said...

I love the navy desk with the gold mirror! Lovely combination and those little squirrels are so cute. You've done a beautiful job with your home Cassie.

The Bold Abode said...

Beautiful... not just the desk.

My life is fuller because you are in it, and I know I'm not the only one.

Sing on. Sing on.

Catherine said...

Love the desk Cassie! And those squirrels are so CUTE!!

Jaime Lyn said...

just perfect Cass! I love your pieces every singe time!!! And really just your style. :o) I am adding you to our party feature pin board! Thank you SO much for linking up, it means a lot to me!!!
Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

Ashley C. said...

Navy blue=YES PLEASE! In my house too! Love it!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Cute desk makeover. And I LOVE your dining space!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

I'm in love with navy right now... it'll be popping up in a few places in my home, too. :)
xo Heidi

Craftberry Bush said...

perfection Cassie...xo

Bella said...

What a great addition to your entry! Love the navy and gold :)

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Love the desk! It looks fabulous! I want a desk like that so bad!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

That little writing desk looks great!

I love your whole dining room bench seat and all!
via CCC, Patricia

Honey at 2805 said...

Your did a lovely job! It looks terrific! I would be delighted if your would link to Potpourri Friday, in progress!

Good Time Charlie said...

The desk looks beautiful, but I really love that fur weather stripping. How sweet your quote for your anniversary and how fun you keep in touch with this friend. Love it. -K

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

That little desk is so perfect for your entry and the color is so fun! I am getting inspired to decorate for fall, thanks to you. I guess I have to accept that summer is over.

Rachel said...

I love the navy desk!! Looks great right where you have it! And I am so ready to usher in the fall, but mother nature hasn't gotten the memo :-(

Denise said...

You ought to try Websters Chalk Paint Powder, too. You can Google it for more info.

Rebecca said...

I love that Navy Desk!