Tuesday, September 4, 2012

POWW 104: A Furniture Link Party

Hope you all had a wonderful labor day weekend!  I worked at the shop Saturday afternoon and the customers kept me busy. Sunday I headed down to Market Days at Chartreuse & Co with a friend.  I thought about opting out, but I knew it would be best for me to get out of the house.  I have also been continuing with me Halloween craft streak!  What can I say, when you aren't able to do much, find much that you are able to do! I couldn't keep my hands and mind idle while down and out with a stapled leg now could I. (And speaking of which, looks like the ER dr. was off his rocker- I still can not ride my bike or walk very far, and it is not healing that quickly.  I plan to force myself to do as little as possible today to try to heal this thing!!)

Also, before I get into my furniture redo, I have a couple of reminders for you.  Don't forget to enter my JUNIEblake giveaway and win a credit for some new duds.  Secondly, don't forget to head over to Country Living to vote for me in the Blue Ribbon Blogger awards for decorating!  Remember that you can vote every day!  I would surely appreciate your vote, and if I win, your checks will be in the mail shortly following... ha ha! By the way, I want to thank whomever it was who nominated me.  I have no idea who you are, but I want you to know you have made my whole week!  Feel free to fess up so I can come over and love you and squeeze you and call you George!

Now, let's get to this party, shall we?

Friday while the kids were in school, I had whiled away the hours crafting, and finally decided that I could paint a coffee table.  I mean, it wasn't that big, so surely I could sit on the edge of my porch and work there.  It sounded like a really good idea at the time.  But let me tell you, that night my leg told me it had not been a good idea at all!  But I finished that table and that's what I am going to share with you today.  And I hope the pain was worth it.  If not, just pretend you love it for my sake, ok?  OK.

I picked up this cute little table and loved its details- I knew they would be perfect for a little gilding.

And I had taken the car seats out of my car to pick this up with some other stuff.... don't worry, I was not using Sawyer's booster seat as my painting char.

I wanted to give it a very antiqued look so I decided to use my Old Fashioned Milk Paint in slate.  I just love the gray blue of this color.

I mixed up one part of paint powder to one part of warm water in a little rubbermaid container.  Instead of stirring, I shook the container (with the lid on, of course!).  This tends to make the paint a little foamy but I find it still works just as well- you can paint with the foam.   I then gave the table two coats of paint.  This was the first time that I have seen the milk paint really "flake" on its own.  Before I even sanded it, I could see where i was going to have a peely and chippy finish.  I took a 180 grit piece of sandpaper and sanded it all over, allowing the chips to just flake off.  Then I waxed it with a clear wax and allowed that to dry.  Finally, I used Annie Sloan golding wax in King Gold to highlight the details.


As much as I love my Rub N Buff, this stuff is a little easier to use because it comes in a little tub, so it's easier to get out and there is less waste.  Anyhow, here it is with its new look....





I don't think the chippy look is for everyone, but I definitely love it, and milk paint does it beautifully!  I think it has a much older and time worn look now.

Your turn to share the furniture fantasticisms that you have been up to...

Please remember the rules:

RULES:
1. Your post must be a completed original project and must be a furniture redo or build.
2. Your post must be new to my parties- do not link something you have shared on this blog before.
3. You must be a follower to party here.
4. No etsy shops or the like!
5. You must place my button or a text link in your post or sidebar.
6. Leave others some comment love!



Photobucket


39 comments:

suzyq said...

OMG I am so in love with that color - have to order some! Beautiful makevoer
Thanks so much for hosting - have a wonderful week :)
Hugs,
Suzan

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

You go, girl! Nothing can keep you down! Think I"ll have to try the gilding wax... this turned out fab.
xo Heidi

Dee said...

You table is chippi-licious! Thanks for hosting & rest that leg... Dee from My Painted Stuff.

Laura from Top This Top That said...

RELAX!!!! you will heal faster!

Courtney said...

what a gorgeous finish!! Love the gold details, gives it a little something, something :)
Hope you can spend the day with your leg up relaxing...and healing!xx

Bella said...

Sorry to hear your leg isn't healing as quickly as 'they' expected but this table is spectacular and def worth the pain. Beautiful finish Cassie!

The Far Fifty said...

This is what is in my head after reading that:
♫♫ Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
♫ Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no
I got to keep on movin'♫
♪ Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh-no, I got to keep on movin' ♪♪

Sorry to hear you're not back to 100%, hopefully soon!

pam {simple details} said...

You had me at gilding, and chippy, peeling look...definitely for me! Hope you're back on your horse soon! :)

Dana Frieling said...

Just voted! Sorry your leg is not cooperating in the healing fast factor.

Stephanie {The Driftwood Cottage} said...

I love the table, need to try milk paint soon! I hope your leg starts feeling better soon!

Sophia's said...

Love your table! I just finally achieved ultimate chippiness with a coat rack that I painted in milk paint last night. It's amazing how much more authentically old something can look with milk paint.
Take it easy on your leg so you can get all better :)
Kristen
PS congrats on the blue ribbon blogger nomination! That is so huge!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

The table is beautiful, Cassie!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your little coffee table is sweet! Not sure if I'll like the unpredictablity of that paint. I might be too much of a control freak - ha! ... Now go prop your feet up and read a good book or two!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

That table is beautiful! Great job.
Ke

Dear Emmeline said...

love the gray with gilding...so sweet and pretty!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Your poor leg! Hope it starts healing really fast! I meant to link up last week - but I forgot.

Erin said...

You poor thing, it's got to be frustrating to have limited mobility! But the table turned out beautifully. I need to get my hands on some milk paint--the chippiness looks so authentically old and I've never been able to distress latex or chalk paint to the same effect. Off to enter the JunieBlake giveaway now!

Have a great day!
Erin

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

So pretty. I love it! & I am so sorry about your leg. I want to take the pain away so you can get to work ;) xo I hope it heals soon and that nothing like that ever happens again. For reals.

vintageshabbychicks said...

Hey Cassie...you had me at "chippy". Can't get enough of it! Beautiful job and I love the gilding. Hope you're getting better:)

Ali Richardson said...

I loooove the chippy look and gilded details! Smashing :)
Voted!
Entered!
XO

Kate said...

Someday I'll do another project so I can participate in your party again! Love the table! (and so sorry about your leg! I just went and read that post. ouch!)

Good Time Charlie said...

Your table is so gorgeous!!! What a neat product, I didn't even know this was on the market, will definitely have to try it out. The gold detail makes all the difference. I am SO sorry you leg is still so hurty!!! The table was worth the pain, it is perfection. Just don't do another one for a while. How did you work with your leg like that? Did you sit behind the cash register?

Can't wait to see what you are crafting up for Halloween. -K

Jennifer Spadaro said...

Love the table! Wish u lived close so I could buy it off u!

Rebecca said...

Love the gold! I have to try that out.

Allison said...

Your table looks great....love the touches of the gold! I hope you heal quickly but be sure you take it easy. Not always easy to do!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Geez Lousie, I've never even heard of gilding wax. Where have I been??? The table is gorgeous Cassie. I love the detailing.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

That coffee table looks so great! I love the gold accents!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Cute table...but the leg? Not so much. Would you hurry up and heal already?

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

Hope you make a full recovery and soon. By the way, love the new picture on your blog, Cassie!

Petticoat Junktion said...

oh Cassie, such chippy goodness. I love milk paint!!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

As always, it looks amazing!

Oh, and I haven't said congratulations on the Blue Ribbon Blogger nomination! Super cool and I'm truly excited for you!

And I'm working on a furniture project (finally) so hopefully I'll be linking up next week (fingers crossed!) ...

:)

Linda

P.S. Kids are back in school. All is right again with the universe (well, kinda). Hoping to get back on my regular blogging schedule (mixed in with a new PR client that may take me away from time to time ...)

fahim ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Beautiful work, the colour is great and the chippyness is just right.
If your leg is still hurting a lot it is telling you to s-l-o-w down a bit, so take care of yourself!

Michaela said...

So many great links...as usual! Of course I love the color of yours :) Just linked my nightstand!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

i really need to try some milk paint. i love your chippy piece.

Meegan Fast said...

Cassie,
I just love yout remakes and your bat pennant! Cute cute cute!!
Thanks for hosting and letting me share!!
Meegan

Piper said...

Ohhh how I love this!! And to think I work for Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (woodworking supply store!!- WE CARRY OLD FASHIONED MILK PAINT!!! I have got to get on the re-do bandwagon!

fahim ali said...

Hey!Thank you so much for your original post! Its was so helpful and I love the way these turned out! Thanks again!
Furniture stores in dallas