Tuesday, September 18, 2012

POWW 106

Happy POWW day!  I seriously have about 15 furniture projects that I have yet to blog about, so I have been picking and choosing which to share when lately.  Hopefully I won't forget about any of them along the way!  Today I am going to share with you a dresser I bought just last week.  I found this fabulous dresser on my thrifting excursion last Thursday....

OK, so it wasn't looking so fabulous with its awkward cream and gold spray painted finish.  I don't even know what that was or if it was indeed something with a name.  This dresser was as solid as they come though, and had gorgeous details.  And best part- dirt cheap!  I knew exactly what I wanted to do to it- it was calling for a much more classic look.  That afternoon I went straight to work.

Because it was painted already with a glossy paint, I had to work with that.  I sanded it all over, just enough to take the shine off the paint.  Then I painted it with two coats of Benjamin Moore Aura in eggshell in Platinum.  (Long before Annie Sloan's Paris Grey came along, this was my go-to classic gray, and still is.  It's also the color of the stripes in my dining room).  Once the paint had dried, I distressed it all over, some with me orbital sander, and some by hand.  Finally to finish it, I used a rag and wiped over it all with Minwax Golden Oak, which just warmed the gray a bit while lightly antiquing.  Lastly, I added new glass knobs to the top drawers, and new mercury glass knobs to the bottom drawers.  Now it has a sweet, simple, classic look to it.




And this color still makes my heart go pitter patter. :)

Now it's your turn to show me what you've been workin' with.  But watch yourself... ;)

Please remember the rules.  I throw up a little in my mouth each time someone links up a craft.  This party is for furniture projects only.


RULES:
1. Your post must be a completed original project and must be a furniture redo or build.
2. Your post must be new to my parties- do not link something you have shared on this blog before.
3. You must be a follower to party here.
4. No etsy shops or the like!
5. You must place my button or a text link in your post or sidebar.
6. Leave others some comment love!

Photobucket

40 comments:

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

I love the lines on that chest! So simple and the color is perfect! - Susan

Allison@FabRehab said...

I'm not sure what's making me more speechless: the gorgeousness that is the finished product OR the atrocity that it was. I still think we need to have a blog called "Crimes Against Furniture"...because that dresser would be the prime example. I LOVE the pulls against that Platinum!!

suzyq said...

Love that dresser- the details on the top drawers and the knobs are just gorgeous!
Thanks so much for hosting another great party:)
Hugs,
Suzan

Stephanie {The Driftwood Cottage} said...

It looks great! Simple, yet elegant! And, what was up with that spray paint job before? Made me laugh! :)

Courtney said...

beautiful, classic redo Cassie!! I'm loving those mercury knobs they are so cute :)

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful details, color and hardware!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Beautiful job on that dresser, Cassie! It's so chic! Megan

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie it's the details on this one that really take the cake. Love your line about throwing up a little bit every time someone links up a craft! That's perfect, some people have a really hard time following the rules.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Hideous to divine! Beautiful makeover

anneoverbeek.blogspot.com said...

What a transformation, it is simply beautiful now and the mercury glass nobs were the perfect finishing touch. Beautiful!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

I heart that dresser!! & I heart gray!! (& I heart you) (& you're funny :) )

Cathy Wall said...

Your projects are always the best Cassie, this is no exception!

pam {simple details} said...

Great rescue, Cassie! That's a diy gone bad for sure, makes you wonder what their vision was!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Such a pretty piece now! Before it was just...weird!

Twice Nice said...

Great save Cassie! Such a glam piece now. Love that hardware Jewelry! Thanks for hosting

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Amazing! As usual! Love the hardware!

Jennifer Spadaro said...

I love this, what a sweet little dresser. I live the glass knobs!

thistlewoodfarm said...

I had almost that EXACT dresser. Why.....why didn't I keep it and paint it gray :( Awesome project and great inspiration at the party :)

Have a great day rock star!
karianne

Dear Emmeline said...

Absolutely love this one Cassie!! It might be my new favorite!

Bella said...

Lovely color! The warmed gray and distressing...perfection. I really like the knobs you used on the 2 bottom drawers.

Ali Richardson said...

Pretty!! I love that gray too and those knobs are perf! yo!

Rebecca said...

have i told you, that I love your blog? I get so excited to see your furniture reveals. you were one of the first blogs i ever followed!

Andrea said...

That color is divine! I can't believe what great stuff you find.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

You just can't go wrong with a classic shade of gray! And I couldn't even see those sweet details on the top drawers in the before photo. Very pretty indeed!

Gwendolyn Whitfield said...

That before made me throw up in my mouth a little bit!

But OH, the AFTER!!! Those knobs are divine... the color, perfection.

I'm always amazed at the incredible furniture you find! Where is it here? UGH!

And, I can't believe I actually have a project to link up, yo. It's been, like...AGES. Yay!

René said...

This piece is stunning! Love the color and finish!

Kate said...

You did a great job (as usual), but I can't get over the weird gold spray paint that was on it before. Wha......? Why would someone do that? lol. Anyway, love that gray! I can see why it's your go to color!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

What an awesome gray color, Cassie -- I'm marking this down (i.e. pinning!) for when I don't want a chalk paint gray! Sweet piece. :)
xo Heidi

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Thank you so much for the party, my friend. Love that gray ... and those glass knobs!!

How to Nest for Less said...

Thanks so much for hosting! LOVE the lines and ornate detailing on that dresser ;)

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

I love the gray dresser! You are really on a roll. I thought you were showing lots of furniture projects here on the blog - I can't believe you have a bunch more waiting in the wings!

Rita said...

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything right now because I just read your "remember the rules" line and bust out laughing!! Hysterical.
And your right on the gray I love that color here and on your walls!!
Can't wait to see all your other 15 projects...I'd be happy to finish just one these days!

samaa said...

Wow - not sure what was going on with that spray paint job, but your makeover is gorgeous as usual :) I love the little details on the dresser and your paint job gives it such a crisp and elegant look :)

Sam @ The Junk House said...

Great dresser re-do!

Thanks for hosting! I linked up the headboard that I made...that counts as furniture, right? I don't want you to throw up in your mouth! :)

Vintage Street Designs said...

Thank you so much for hosting! Hope you are having a fabulous week!

Jill said...

YAY! that is a much better look than the pop up spots that the poor dresser was sporting when you bought it! Seriously though? 15 furniture projects?? You ARE a machine :)

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Thanks so much for hosting, Cassie! My chest of drawers looks electric blue in the pics (according to my daughter), but it really is teal. Dratted camera- well, probably the one behind the camera....

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

I am in total love with those mercury glass knobs. Where did you find those? They are perfect on the dresser. Love it all.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Thanks for hosting! Wishing you a grand week! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

wow. so pretty! I never get tired of that Paris Gray! The details on it are gorgeous. I've missed your party! :( so much going on!! Thanks for hosting, you are awesome.