Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Playroom Table and Some Progress

So far in our playroom evolution, I have share with you the map wall, as well as the Provence chairs I saved for it.  However, I was still looking for a table to go with the chairs, so for the time being it had looked like this, the last time we saw it...


You can sort of see the small child's size white table there.  Well, the kids are (sniff sniff) growing up, and I thought we would get more use out of an adult sized table and I knew exactly what I wanted- a round antique pedestal table.  I really was hoping for an oak table..... BUT I found a table that otherwise fit the bill and was $20!  Why was it so cheap, you ask?  Well, someone had stuck a vinyl tablecloth with white fuzzy backing on it and the fuzzy backing was stuck ALL OVER the table top.  I did not get a picture of it before.... trust me it looked about the same but with a fuzzy white growth.

I attempted to use goo gone and other cleaners, thinking maybe just humidity had caused it to stick.  But it appeared that the table had once been poly'ed and the tablecloth put on too soon, so the fuzz was pretty much in the poly.  I ended up stripping the entire table top, and giving it a couple fresh coats of poly.  I did not do anything fancy with the top, nor did I refinish the base as this is going in a playroom.  You know, where kids play.  I didn't want to invest a ton of time and effort into making it so beautiful again that I would be devastated if anything happened to it.  This room is for the kids... I don't want them to feel like they have to be super careful with it!

I love how it is coming together, but more importantly the kids are thrilled!  Sunday morning I put the table back together in the playroom.  Chris asked Emmy to go get herself some clean pants out of the laundry.  She went down the stairs (with just her shirt on since she was fetching her pants) and I heard her squeal over the new table.  10 minutes later, she had not come back up.

Me: Emmy... What are you doing?
Emmy: Coloring.
Me: Do you have any pants on?
Emmy: No....

She was so excited about coloring at her new table, that pants just weren't important anymore!  Anyhow, here is the new table, as well as some other shots around the room....
 The tin foil box you see in the upper left in the above picture is a robot helmet we made out of a build a bear box.  On the left side of the picture is a vintage chrome swivel stand I got for $5 at a yard sale!  We use it to hang Emmy's dress up.


 On top of the table we are keeping crayons, markers, and pencils, each in their own container.  Also, there is a wooden USA puzzle that was Chris' as a kid.  Our kids absolutely love playing with it and learning about the states.

Here is that beautiful table base....

The refinished top....

A view of the other side.  You can see we have an awkward door that leads to utilities (not laundry, but oil tank, etc).  And I also have a vintage flea market chalkboard.

Emmy and her friend decided one day that they should label their chairs with names.... "Emmy, Sawyer, Bella, Mommy".  We each had our own labeled chair.  I was not happy.  As you can see I haven'e been able to clean off the "Sawyer" chair.

Another shot towards the staircase... I found these vintage comic posters on freecycle and knew Sawyer would love them.


So there you have it!  I finally feel like we are really making progress.  Of course, I have not shown you the entire other half of the room yet.... baby steps.

Photobucket

47 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

What a great space for the kids! The round table is perfect for playing games.

Megan said...

That table is the perfect size!! I can see why Emmy forgot about her pants, I want to sit and draw too!

Catherine said...

Love that table!! I have been thinking about the same for our play room, but with Harry only 18mths old we're a little way a way from grown-up chairs ;)

And I am still in love with that map wall, and how about those globes!

Heather said...

What a fabulous play room! The table is perfect for so many things in there!!

Denise Sabia said...

What a great spot! Lucky kids. Is the entire floor carpeted or is that concrete? Love the Color of it. I'm lucky enough to have a peach painted floor in our basement,blahh.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a great space, Cassie! I bet the kiddos are loving playing down there. So fun…I love the map wall, and that table is TDF! Great storage too!!!

Try a baking soda paste to get "Sawyer" off the chair. I've used that a thousand times when my kids were little, to get marker off wood surfaces. It does take some of the finish off so you have to rub gently, but just let it sit there for a half hour or so and absorb the marker and rub it a bit. Once upon a time some little munchkins around here took permanent markers to our newly redone hardwood floors in our last house and traveled around the whole perimeter of the room drawing a circle on the floor. After hours of trying less abrasive cleaners, the baking soda finally took it off.

René said...

What a great space for the kiddos! I love the table!

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Hehehehe!!! Pants?! We don't need no stinking pants!!! Love this space. Really makes me want to get our basement set up for playing. Pinning this bad boy :)

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

The playroom looks so great Cassie! I feel like I need to go downstairs and work on mine!

Dana Frieling said...

I love that Emmy gets as excited over furniture as you do! And...I'm sure she was thinking, "If Mommy can make it all pretty, then I can too!" as she preceded to label all the chairs. Too funny!

Jennifer Spadaro said...

It looks great! Any little boy and girl would be lucky to play there : )

Mel said...

What a wonderful space for the kids to play and create! That table is gorgeous, what a great find!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Great find! I love it in the space and with the Tiffany Blue chairs! Love me a good bargain!

DecorandtheDog said...

I want to come over to color...but I'll wear pants. Promise.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What an amazing, creative space! Love the new table.

pam {simple details} said...

What a perfect kiddo space, I'd want to hang out at that table too! I wouldn't try to hard to get the name off, promise you'll love it someday! :)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a fantastic space! I love that table so much. Great freecycle finds too. I put so much on there.

Deidre Miles said...

That table is beautiful! Try Goof Off on the marker. You can find it in the paint section at different stores. It's potent but works on difficult stain and paint removal.

modern jane said...

What an amazing space! The table is the perfect proportion for the space. And those little wooden school chairs? LOVE!

SelmaRose Vintage said...

Love, Love, Love the map wall. I am new to your site, so I will go back and read the post about it. Great room!

Bella said...

What a fun playroom! That table is perfect for it.

Aww Emmy labeled a chair for me?? How sweet :)

Bliss said...

I am trying to think of something witty to say about all the well organized "colors" but it's just not coming to me.

Bliss

Jill said...

Love the new table! I am a sucker for round pedestal tables! It is all coming together so nicely. Have you tried Mr Clean magic eraser on the chair?

Tonya Diehl said...

Your playroom is fabulous!! Love the new table & that fabulous map wall!! What a great idea!

simplyvonne said...

the map idea is genius!!! i love it! great job so far!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

That looks awesome! I would want to color without pants too if I had a playroom like that!! So cool!

Holly said...

I love all the maps!!! So cool for that room and I am thinking about that for my little boy - he wants his room to be an "office".

GirlRural.com said...

I have a huge soft spot for pedestal tables and promise myself our next home will have room for one....somewhere. This is turning out so cute!

Dear Emmeline said...

it's such a fun space! love all the touches you've added.

Allison said...

That is a such a fun room for the kids! I love your new table.

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

so cute! I've given up hope of ever having a photo worthy playroom. At age 12, it's just not going to happen now. That table is gorgeous. Sorry about your chairs! It's cute though. :)

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Love the table! That graining is gorgeous! I love it.

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

The round table is perfect for this space! I love the pairing of the natural table with the blue chairs too!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Well, shoot, if I had that awesome table to color at, I'd sit down there and color away... even without pants!! LOL!
Playroom is a'rockin', Cassie!
xo Heidi

Erin @ His and Hers said...

That map wall is so cool! And of course your table makeover is magical. :)

But I don't know what the problem is with the names on the chairs? ;)

Eclectically Vintage said...

I wish I had this basement!! Mine is dark, dingy and I think there may be monsters living down there!
Love your vintage chalkboard and those cute little chairs! Of course, every room needs a robot helmet too!
Kelly

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Such an awesome space. Makes me feel like doing a little coloring myself :)
www.classiccasualhome.com

Renee said...

That table is nicer than my kitchen table!!! Beautiful. I love the map wall, too. That's what my son is doing with his college room. I gave him a ton of vintage maps to hang (although he might need some decorating lessons from you!)
That vintage chalkboard is awesome, too.

Hetty said...

Love the table and chairs! What a fun room!

Ali Richardson said...

It's AMAZING!!! YOu may have found me down there coloring without my pants on if it were there when I was visiting. Trust me, you are lucky the table wasn't there yet ;)
XOXO

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is a beautiful table Cassie and a sure sign that your little ones are not so little anymore!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

This is such a happy space! I love it! It's sad when they graduate to adult furniture though isn't it?!

And your bedroom map with the new map is gorgeous- love it!

Kelly said...

The wood table is beautiful! So funny that it took precedence over pants. It's ridiculous how much time my kid walks around the house pants-less. Yesterday we left him completely naked downstairs while we ran up to get him some clothes, and he opened the front door and walked out into the yard! Just like God made him. GAH.

Upscale Downhome said...

What a great playroom for your kids. The map wall is fantastic. You really can't blame emmie for labeling chairs, she is a DIYer just like her mama.

Cara Moran said...

I absolutely love your playroom, and such a beautiful job on your new table, too. Have you ever considered painting your playroom door into a green chalkboard? Just a thought... Have a great weekend, Sweetie!

Anna See said...

So much fun! Makes me feel like pulling up a chair and coloring something!

Kara @ June & Bear said...

june has taken over my dining table as her coloring station. i really need to find her a space and cute table too. love what you've done with your space.