Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Christmas in the Dining Room

Happy Wednesday!  I am so excited to share with you our dining room, all decked out for Christmas.  This is always my favorite room to decorate for some reason.  This year I was especially excited because thanks to Treetopia, I have a pink tree just for the kids, and thanks to the flea market, I have a fabulous vintage flocked tree in the dining room, and we will still put up our real tree in the living room, too!

While I decorated this past weekend, I brought out the vintage tree for the dining room (which by the way was a steal at $20!).  Before I decorated the tree though, I decorated the rest of the room so I could get a feel for what colors I wanted on the tree.  I have a rather extensive vintage ornament collection, so I knew that with 3 trees this year, I'd be able to really have fun with them and give them each their own look.  Once I decorated the room, I decided on a blue and gold look for the tree- I thought the gold would add some warmth.  Anyhow, I won't bore you with talk talk talk... How about some pictures, and I'll talk you through what I did.

Here is a little peek of the sideboard and table and chairs....

On the two head chairs, I added a simple grapevine wreath that I painted with glue, and sprinkled in vintage look mica glitter for an icy effect.  I tied them on with a sheer white and gold ribbon.



On the antiques sign, I strung the same advent calendar I made last year.  I just need to change out the tasks!

On the chalkboard portion of the sideboard, a simple "Believe" says it all, with a plate of fake treats. :)   I don't need real ones around me!

Each side of the sign is flanked by gorgeous mercury glass candlesticks from my dear friend, Allison.  A german glass glitter sleigh and a tinsel tree complete the left side....

And a taller candlestick and candle and a taller tree complete the right side.

The sideboard also serves as a roadway for our Santa in a glittered pine cone car.

 And some pretty vintage look ornaments and a pinecone in a trophy cup...

My secretary serves as an area to show off my grandmother's carolers.  But wait..... that's not a caroler in there....

I spy an elf!  It's Lollie, our elf, back with his shenanigans!
 Also on the secretary a winter scene my mom made for me last year in a vintage dish, and my apothecary jars in the number 25 for Christmas!

The bench next to the secretary houses the fun yarn trees my mom made me last year as well, and a snowman.

The table's centerpiece is a vintage wire tree I found at the flea market.  I won't even tell you what I paid, but I just saw one on etsy for $70.  Ok, so I didn't even pay a tenth of that.  The table also has a pair of glittered candlesticks I made and my Pottery Barn reindeer purchased a couple years back on clearance.

I wanted to hang a wreath on the chalkboard, but the wreath hanger wouldn't rest on the middle of this frame, so I got a little creative with it....

After I took the above picture I found a cute little red bird in my craft stash, so I added him... What do you think?  With or without the bird?  Put a bird on it?


And of course, our terrarium, which was haunted at Halloween, had a turkey for Thanksgiving, now has a vintage Santa inside.

And now, my favorite part of the room, the tree....

I just love how it turned out!  The vintage angel tree topper was purchased at the flea market for $1 the same day I got the tree!

I love how the colors bring in some warmth and tie into the sailboat paintings in the room.

And here it is lit up in all its glory!

And so far, the dogs tails have only hit it a few times and no breakages, just some vintage flocking on the floor....  I call that a success!

Photobucket
sharing here:
Christmas Tree Contest

61 comments:

Mel said...

I can see why this is your favourite room to decorate, the lighting is so warm.

Such wonderful little vignettes all over, it's magical. I like the bird in the wreath :)

Storywood Designs said...

What a fun room! I love the bird in the wreath - way to think outside the box with not being able to center the wreath.

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

Wow! Super cute ideas... Love the wreaths on the chairs! - Susan

Blondie's Journal said...

I love everything, Cassie...especially the wreaths on the chairs and the little tree on the table. All your ideas are wonderful...love the chalkboard, what it says and yes, keep the little cardinal! :)

XO,
Jane

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I love the entire room and the colors. One day I will have a flocked tree too. Yours is lovely.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a beautiful set up, Cassie. My mom has those exact carolers...they are adorable. I really love your wreaths too...what a great effect you've created with them. Megan

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a beautiful set up, Cassie. My mom has those exact carolers...they are adorable. I really love your wreaths too...what a great effect you've created with them. Megan

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful! Love all the vignettes you've created around the room. I vote to keep the bird.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love that you decorate all over your house, Cassie….how fun! This color theme is so pretty and perfect for in there. Love the wreath on the chalkboard…I am stealing that idea for my dining room mirror!! Thank you!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Lollie looks as though he's protecting the elfin jewels. Plus, he's leering at that lady caroler. Please. Move. Lollie. Now. I'm getting the heebie-jeebies.

Ange said...

Love all of it! The vintageness in this room is so good, the carolers might be my favorite though. Well I really like the chalkboard too....I can't decide.

Holly said...

Beautiful! All kinds of antique and rustic details - even some glam. Love the look.

Cathy Wall said...

How delightful Cassie! Love all of your holiday touches and the charm of the space, you have the touch girl!

Bella said...

I don't even know where to begin...I love everything! And that flocked tree is spectacular.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Looks wonderful Cassie! I SO LOVE the Santa in the pinecone car! How cute is that?!!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Your room looks so beautiful, love the way all the colors tie in. I will call you today or tomorrow about the skirt, k?

17 Perth said...

Cassie--woo woo. This is a lovely room. The elf picked a great hiding spot. You might as well do some caroling while you eye the kiddos.

DecorandtheDog said...

Hows about you come finish my house? I'm about 1/2 done. Your dining room is perfection. Seriously. Head on over.

Andrea said...

Cassie, it's beautiful, the whole room. I love all the vintage details. The red bird is adorable in the wreath. Keep him there! I'm a little worried our little puppy and the tree. You are way ahead of me with decorating. I haven't even pulled out one box yet!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh what a pretty room! And that flocked tree is gorgeous. I love the color scheme and all the little vintage touches. Again you've created a wonderful combination of vintage and modern!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

The whole room is a success. You have such great pieces.

Mary said...

It is all so beautiful Cassie! I like the wreath with the bird, but honestly everything is so beautiful you could go either way.

The Far Fifty said...

Beautiful!

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

It is all beautiful! I especially love the terrarium, and the little bird on the wreath is a great touch. Great scores on your thrifting!

Dana Frieling said...

Girl, you knocked it out of the park! There's so much to see. I'd love to be a dinner guest and be able to see and slowly take in your attention to detail.

Dear Emmeline said...

so pretty! my faves...chalkboard with off centered wreath, yarn trees, elf in hiding, and your terrarium...oh and that gorgeous wire tree all blinged out on the table!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I seriously had to put my thinking cap on to work out the 'not even a tenth of that' math. Love it all!!!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

The details are perfection. Such warmth and one knows that a happy family enjoys that room! Love it

pam {simple details} said...

Ooooh, aaaahh ~ it's warm and old-fashioned and clever and pretty ~ Christmas decor at it's best!

{Hi Sugarplum!} said...

So so gorgeous, Cassie! Love all your little touches...that room is just glowing!

Anne said...

Your dining room looks so pretty decked out for Christmas! LOVE that tree too! Cool and pretty ice wreaths too!
xx
Anne

Kelly said...

Little red bird all the way! Love how subtle your decorating is...and not BLAM red and green Christmas.

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Girl - i love it all! All of the little vintage touches are just perfect. If you come home and find the vintage wire tree and the trophy cup missing don't come knocking on my door. ;)

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

can NOT get over those little wreaths on the back of the chairs. SO precious! pinned it, of course!

Julia Konya said...

I love the vintage wire tree.
And I've always wanted a flocked tree. I can't believe you got yours for $20. Seriously!

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

The whole room looks beautiful Cassie!! I LOVE that vintage tree & the blue & gold ornaments!! GORGEOUS!!

I'm also loving that wire tree on your dining room table with the little crystal ornaments hanging from it! It adds a little glam to the room!

And....last but not least....you should totally put a bird on it!! That chalkboard is awesome!

I've got quite a bit of Christmas decorating done, but you are making me want to do some more today! Thanks for inspiring me!

Good Time Charlie said...

This room is totally my style, eclectic and comfy, with whimsy. Love every little detail. I wish I could have a visit with you in this little room! Some day!

Melissa said...

LOVE all your decorations Cassie!!!!! I just found the same wire tree a few weekends ago at a cute little shop while visiting friends in Ohio!!!! I decorated mine with little glittered snowflakes, but I love yours with the crystals!!!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Gorgeous room Cassie! So warm, happy and inviting. Every detail is perfect. I am now closing my computer so I can clear through all my Christmas clutter and decorate already!

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your dining room!!!!!!! it made me smile all the way through! love your hiding elf, the Santa in the pinecone car, your ship painting, the wire tree.....*sigh* just fabulous. well done.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Now that's a festive dining room that I would love to sit in and eat/chat/bond (with you, of course ;)). It is so beautiful and that tree is perfect! All of your little details make this room so wonderful. I love the holidays in your home :) xo

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Oh...and red bird = yes! Always yes when it comes to birds ;)

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

What a gorgeously decorated home you have, Cassie! I love the pinecone Santa car the best :) And the wire tabletop tree with the beautiful crystals on it. I love the little red bird in your green leafy wreath on the chalkbard--a very cute way to present it! I need to get going with decorating, but I've got other stuff going on in life right now and am super busy for a while--I plug away at it as I can. Have a lovely rest of the week!

Ali Richardson said...

Definitely put a bird on it! Lol! I love it all friend!!!!!!!!!! SO so pretty :)

Renee said...

very pretty...doing my dining room tonight! I wish my camera was working...sigh. I love, love, love that wire tree! If you ever tire of it...

Anne @ Hello Newmans said...

looks amazing! love the wreath on the chalkboard - and the sweet bird :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love, love, LOVE this, Cassie!!!! It must feel sooo good to get one room completely done ~ I have a looooong way to go! ;-)
xo Heidi

Allison said...

Very beautiful Cassie! All of the details are just lovely. Such a festive and cozy room! I think I need to come for a visit and sit and have a cup of hot chocolate, visit and admire your decorations. So much fun to take in. I love that pine cone car! Did you make that? Yes, on the bird in the wreath! The touch of red is fun and I adore birds.

KristaDee said...

Love the pop of red the bird in the wreath provides. Your tree sure is pretty - love the vintage colours. Mine is pretty standard - burgundy and gold. Lots of gold... :) I kind of bought "too many" end of season last year. Now I have lots of gold. But I too, love the warmth the gold provides.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Very pretty! I am loving all the vintage ornaments and so pretty at night.

homeseasonsdecor said...

Beautiful decorations! Love your vintage wire tree find!

Roisin said...

Definitely leave the little red bird on the wreath. It adds color and makes it look finished.

Anna See said...

Magical and beautiful! And I bet the kids have so much fun with your little terrarium!

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

It looks beautiful Cassie!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Wow, you are seriously putting me to shame. I thought I was doing pretty good just getting my wreath on the front door. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Your room is absolutely gorgeous!

Rebecca said...

i love your dining room! esp. at christmas. it looks great!

Rhonda said...

What a whimsical, wonderful room! Love it all.

Might I ask what paint color your chairs are?

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

So perfect! The colors, tree and all the accessories! Love it!

Angela

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

So much inspiration here I'm going to be pinning away! I'm totally going to do the grapevine chair wreaths next year, I love your little trophy cup and vintage ornaments and the chalkboard wreath! What time is dinner? :)

Eclectically Vintage said...

What a find with that tree and of course Lollie is trying to take over the show in the dining room too! He really needs a time out!

Glad you didn't tell me the exact price you paid for that wire tree - I might have to call Lollie and have him bring it too me - I hear he takes bribes.
Kelly

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

Love, Love, Love your tree. Again you posted something that made me green with envy! I just featured you on the 'Tis the Season party on my blog.

Angela