Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Glitter Cookie Cutter Ornaments

By now you know I love my glitter!  If it can be glittered, it will be.  And the best part is I totally have the kids on board with my glitter craze!

A few weeks ago, I found some vintage Christmas cookie cutters at the flea market.  The kids and I spent an evening last week glittering them.  I painted on the glue, and the kids sprinkled on the glitter.  All was well in the world until Sawyer decided to blow a little bit of glitter off of a spot.... glitter EVERYWHERE!  He was covered.... all over his pj's!  Luckily he managed to get some on the cookie cutters as well.  The next day while they were at school I touched up the bald spots.   Then this past weekend, Emmy and I finished them up. (Sawyer was too busy playing and didn't want to craft.)

To finish them, I drilled a hole in the top of each one with a skinny drill bit made for drilling through metal.  Then we used those posts that dangly earrings are made on (not sure what they are called!), stringing one bead on to keep the cookie cutter in place, then the cookie cutter, then we used beads and sequins to decorate.  I bent the top of eacf of the wire pieces to make a loop, and then we added ribbon and an ornament hanger.  Emmy has already decided that hers will go to her grandmothers, dance teacher, and school teacher.  She did a great job and even came up with the idea to use sequins as tree ornaments!

Anyhow, here they are....

I did this tree- love red and aqua at Christmas!

Emmy did this angel with the pink bow.

I did the scottie dog...

Emmy took my red and aqua cute and did this Rudolph with a sparkly sequin red nose!

Here is Emmy's Christmas tree, and my holly leaf....

Emmy's holly leaf...

This project was super easy, and very kid friendly with adult assistance.  And I think they came out pretty cute, if I do say so myself.  Glitter makes everything better, friends.

Hope if you are traveling today that you stay safe!
Photobucket Holiday
holiday home link parties

25 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Making the world a little more sparkly and happy, one glitter project at a time. Nice job Bustamante family!
Happy happy happy Thanksgiving Cassie!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Cassie,

What a fabulous project and Emmy's masterpieces are just fabulous!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

:)

Linda

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

love these Cassie! Glitter dos make everything better :)

Okio B Designs said...

Oh my goodness, how adorable! I love the little Scottie dog one! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeanine

jackie jade said...

So cute! I think I have all of those vintage cookie cutters (except the scotty dog) as hand me downs from my grandmother. Love the idea of turning them into a keepsake like this!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very sweet and sparkly! And a good kid friendly project too!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

They are too cute! What a fun little craft!

Dana Frieling said...

Very cute! Love Emmy's special touches...of course, Rudolph needs a red nose. ;)

Jennifer Spadaro said...

I love the glitteryness of Christmas time. Super cute project!

Julia Konya said...

Speaking of shiny things, LOL! Love it! Might have to try it with my kiddos

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

These turned out super cute!

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

Seriously?!?! How creative are YOU! I need to borrow your brain for a week...at least :)

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love these glitter ornaments! Now why didn't I think of that?!

Ali Richardson said...

A-dorable!!! I love them :) And I love that your kids like to help you with your sparkly projects (and that you let them). Love u! Gobble.

Cait Geddes said...

What a great idea! And i loved that the kids helped. Great weekend craft!
:) Cait
MyHouseMyCanvas.com

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Such a great idea. Love the glitter too!

blog said...

Great ideas! These are so cute, especially the reindeer! Thanks for sharing & have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

What a great idea. I love them! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Allison said...

How pretty and sparkly! I love these. So fun that you all worked on this project together. Such a clever idea to use the cookie cutters.

reFresh reStyle said...

Guess who just bought some of these, me and now I know what I can do with them :)
Have a Happy Thanksgiving,
Debbie

Megan said...

That is such a cute idea! They are adorable!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

So cute!! & I love that you include your kiddos in crafting :) you rule!

Denise Sabia said...

I love this idea! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
denise

Michaela said...

You know I'm a big fan of glitter, so I love this! So cute.

Michaela said...

ps. HAPPY THANKSGIVING :)