Friday, November 2, 2012

Going A Little More Rustic in The Dining Room, and some Thanksgiving Decor

Yesterday was November 1, the day after Halloween.  For some reason, as soon as a holiday ends, I want all signs of it gone.  I am sure it means I have some issues somewhere, but hey, who doesn't?  Anyhow, with the kids in school yesterday I took the chance to take down all of our Halloween decor, store it away safely for next year, and start on Thanksgiving!

Aside from bringing out the Thanksgiving decor, I have recently made a couple changes to the dining room to give it a more rustic feel.  Some of you are probably going to stop reading my blog, but that's ok.  Because I sold my aqua sideboard.... remember this one?
And I replaced it with the more rustic peacock sideboard- I just loved it so much, and it actually offers more storage which is alway a plus.

Now, before you go getting all upset on me (Shannon, are you still even reading?!?!?), let me tell you the story that proved to me that it was meant to be this way.

I posted the aqua sideboard on my local craigslist to sell, since it was a piece of my own furniture.  I had a lady answer and come right away, but it was too blue of an aqua for her and she passed.  A day later, I reposted my ad and a lovely young woman answered.  The day she replied, she came right over.  Turned out that she and her family had just moved here from Texas and she didn't yet know anyone.  She has 3 kids, her middle being 6 and an avid soccer player!  Oh, and did I mention she lives only 5 minutes away from me?  Her kids will actually go to a different school until ours meet up for middle school, BUT as it turns out I am hosting a coffee here next week with moms mostly from the elementary school her kids attend!  So of course, I invited her along, and she will have the chance to make some new friends.  So I know that the sideboard is going to a great loving home, and I also know that I was meant to meet her at that moment.

Now that you know all of that, do you feel better?  I sure hope so.  If not, maybe these pictures of the peacock sideboard in the dining room will help. I am loving the dark rustic touch it adds!


That's our homework basket under the chair.... Has all things needed for homework!

 Now let's check out some Thanksgiving decor! I found this white turkey dish at Goodwill recently and had to have it for my Thanksgiving dining room!  And of course my little heckling silver squirrels are up there on the shelf...
"Hey Joe, would you get a load of this guy?"
"Yeah, just look at how pasty and big his butt is!"

At the other end I have some pretty red leaves Emmy found, a vintage pie plate which I found yesterday and thought was very Thanksgiving-appropriate, and my houndstooth pumpkin from Kathy.

On the table, I added some gourds that were in the living room, a pair of silver glitter candlesticks I made, my squirrel vase with some branches I took from my Halloween mantle, and these two cute vintage aqua pilgrims.  They are a little worn and chipper, but I love them!


Oh, and hey!  I found anew friend for the Terrarium.  You may recall last month it was haunted by a wee ghost.  This month, we have a Tom turkey hanging out...

And one more little touch.... I found this awesome bench on craigslist and loved its old gray paint and unique shape.  The lady I bought it from remembered her grandmother having it on their farm in a mudroom with geraniums on it in the Spring.   What a lovely image?  Right now it houses our frog, Annakin, but I am sure Christmas will bring it some more decorative love.
Oh , and one more thing... the kids and I created a thankful tree on our dining room chalkboard.  They shouted out all of the things they were thankful for, like their family, each other, soccer, parties, boots, the beach, our house, our pets...


So there you have it!  Changes in the dining room, new friends, rustic charm, and a little Thanksgiving peek.
And now I am heading to school to help out with Emmy's Halloween party.... wish me luck!  Happy Friday!
Photobucket

59 comments:

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Hahaha!!! The heckling squirrels are hilarious :D It's a good thing you posted a pic with the new sideboard showing how fab it looks in the space, or I just might have stopped reading. I kid, I kid ;) Loving all the changes.

Susan - Uniquely Yours or Mine said...

Change is good.. and I also put away my Halloween stuff yesterday too!

Catherine said...

What a difference the new sideboard makes! The different style and colour change the feel of the room. I love the old one, but the new one is beautiful too!

That's so lovely of you to include the woman in your coffee catch-up!

Meg and Mum's said...

I love the colour of that sideboard! It looks perfect where it is. :)

Renee said...

I like the new sideboard...a great change if you ask me! I'm stealing the idea for for a Thankful tree...may even share it with my son's teacher!!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Cassie, it all looks great. Can't believe I'm going to having a proper American thanksgiving this year!!

Emily said...

i secretly covet that sideboard! so i guess its no secret now : ( but i want it

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow, you are just full of surprises! I loved the old sideboard, but the new one really makes a statement and I think the rustic feel really suits your home. The whole room is interesting and full of character. I especially love the thankful tree chalkbosrd. Being thankful - something we all need to keep in mind. Happy weekend Cassie!

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

I loved the aqua one, but I really do like the new one too!

Andrea said...

I am digging the new piece. Guess I'll keep reading your blog! Ha. You are one busy girl. Love all the changes. Your dining room is so inviting.

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

Win-win, Cassie...both sideboards are beautiful! And I LOVE that bench, such rustic and interesting lines. Have a great weekend!

The Far Fifty said...

I like the darker sideboard better! And it's like you go through life thinking "MAKE ALL THE FRIENDS!!"

circadee.com said...

I like how your dining room has evolved. It has a wintery look now. Just don't sell that antiques sign (unless to me!) or I may stop reading. Kidding! I love all of your chance encounters too. That is what life is about.

Kelly said...

Those little blue pilgrims make my heart melt (which pilgrims probably shouldn't do!), they are just so adorable.

vintageshabbychicks said...

Hi Cassie! Absolutely love the new sideboard and your whole Thanksgiving transformation...the thankful tree is the cutest idea.. EVER!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

I think you made a good choice. The new blue goes better with your wall color. The room is really turning out nicely. Great job :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Change is good Cassie. I have been busy changing upa few things, but just not ready to post them just yet. Now, I luv that huge sign and that cute pie plate, also your new piece of furniture is just my style.

Blessings,
Linda

Stacie Walker said...

My Halloween decor came down Halloween night...lol! As soon as my little one was in bed & the trick or treaters had stopped coming, I packed it all up. Love the peacock sideboard & the heckling squirrels!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

Gorgeous changes! I love the peacock sideboard in your room, I'm still drooling over your silver squirrels and how cute are the Pilgrims on the table!

Angela

Diane said...

Do you really even need my comment on the new sideboard? You know what I will say.

Bliss

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Love the darker sideboard and I love that you are so welcoming. You are so sweet and I know that Mom feels so excited that she met you!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

I love it - especially your Thankful tree. So sweet.

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Welcome to the terrarium Tom Turkey! Enjoy the view of Cassie's gorgeous new sideboard! :)

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

I think it is all perfect, I really love the peacock color!How wonderful that your sideboard found the perfect new home, and that you found a new friend. I know she is thrilled to be meeting people in her new area. So sweet of you to include her in your gathering!

Julia Konya said...

I never even decorate for Thanksgiving. I go straight to Christmas. It's just not my thing. But your decor looks great. I loved the aqua sideboard :( but new one looks beautiful too.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I LOVE how you are always changing things up and making your spaces feel fresh! And no wonder with the business you're in - running into pretty pieces of furniture all the time! Love the changes you've made (although I do love that aqua sideboard too!) and you are totally inspiring me to copy you and make a thankful tree on our chalkboard! Great idea!!

All About Vignettes said...

I'm ready for Thanksgiving decor too. Your new "rustic" looks great. That houndstooth pumpkin is pretty cute. LOL

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I love, love it!! And the thankful tree ... so fun!!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

A new friend and a new sideboard -- it doesn't get better than that. I love the new look in there, and that bench and your T-Day decor is perfect! Love u! happy Friday xo

Lisa Hogan said...

Hi Cassie,
Love your Thanksgiving decor! I am just beginning to take down all of the Halloween stuff I have displayed everywhere. I am looking forward to dressing up the house for Thanksgiving. I have the same white turkey tureen! I love it. I found mine at a thrift store too!

Upscale Downhome said...

Love all your more rustic touches. The turkey in the aquarium and the squirrels are my favorite. The bench and the sideboard are cool, too. I really have to decorate my dining room for Thanksgiving. You've inspired me to get going on it!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the new sideboard and your story of the old sideboard! It was meant to be.

Allison said...

Love your new peacock sideboard and what a great new home your beautiful aqua one went to. Meant to be! Fun Thanksgiving decorations. I need to pack up Halloween today. Your thankful/gratitude tree is wonderful Cassie! I like that your kids get so involved with that. Happy Friday!

Erin @ His and Hers said...

What's wrong with white pasty butts?

Ali Richardson said...

Well. You already know how I feel (felt) about the aqua sideboard. that aside, i love the rustic feel of the new one and everything looks GREAT! xoxo

Gwen said...

Happy Friday, my friend! I fully support you decision to sell your sideboard. Yes, it was lovely, indded, but OMFGSH! That rustic piece is simply DIVINE.

Shazamalamadingdong.

The-bleepin'-End.

Period.

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Oh my gosh, I'm still giggling over your snarky squirrels...hilarious! I guess they make up for you getting rid of the aqua sideboard and I'll keep reading...for now...(c; Have a great weekend, girl!

Rita said...

Gosh can't believe how fast this year has flown by. I wanted to redo my dining room table for Thanksgiving and now it's almost here Yikes!! Nothing beats a nice new tablecloth :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Stop reading over an aqua sideboard?? No way -- :-)
Love the peacock piece and all your Thanksgiving touches. Enjoy and happy Weekend!
xo Heidi

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

I love both sideboards, but I think I like the peacock one the best! Love it's style and color. Such a great story about the woman who bought the old one :)
Cracking up about the "heckling" squirrels!!!
Love your thanksgiving tree idea! I think you are my mom hero :)

Twice Nice said...

Change is good, love all yours! The room looks fantastic, I still am in love with your stripes, and it's fun to see your holiday changes!

Good Time Charlie said...

I am waiting to see what Shannon says about selling your sideboard! I am sad to see it go, but I do love the piece you have instead. I have been going in a more rustic direction for a while now too. I have a very cute, but very Cottagey Buffet. I am still searching for the right replacement. I love the story about the new owner! That is very fun, meant to be!

Amy ~ "A Perfect Tin" said...

Love it! Sweet story about the buffet.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hey lovely,

I am completely coveting your gorgeous bench! The colour, the shape - everything! And what a brilliant history too! I love finding pieces like that!

I hope you're having the best of weekends!

Sarahx

natasha {schue love} said...

It all looks so good Cassie!! Love the stripes and the sideboard!

Loi Thai, Tone on Tone said...

Your new sideboard is wonderful. Love that color. And the cool back ledge. Things change all the time at our home....that's part of the biz :)
Loi
Tone on Tone

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love the new look Cassie! That sideboard is great! love the color, and the rustic look! fabulous!

gail

Katie said...

I liked your old sideboard, but I love this one!! The color on it is just gorgeous - it looks great in your dining room too! Love that cute little gray bench as well! You always find the cutest things!

Kelly said...

Okay, first I was mad at you, but now all is forgiven because of the story and because I do really, really love the new sideboard. We can still be friends.

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Love the sideboard change, and it was definitely meant to be! Your Thankful Tree is a great idea and something your kids will probably pass along to their kids.

thistlewoodfarm said...

Cassie,

It looks great! I love that sign :) Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Have a great day rock star!
karianne

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

It always makes me better to sell something knowing it is going to a good home. And you made a new friend out of it, so I would say its a win win! :)

Michelle @ Ten June said...

You are like the sweetest person ever. You label selling your beautiful furniture as "meant to be" not because you made a bunch of money or got a new piece or something, but because you helped someone find new friends! That's amazing. You inspire me, Cass!

Bella said...

As much as I loved your aqua sideboard I gotta say this one trumps it. It's gorgeous Cassie! The color is perfect and it really is a stunning piece of furniture. I would LOVE to find something like this for our dining area. Lucky you :)

Hi I'm Shannon! said...

All I have to say is I wish I lived 5 minutes down the road. Because that sucker would be MINE :)))

The new one is pretty, but that aqua one will forever hold a place in my heart!

Mwah ~ Shan

Jessica DecorAdventures said...

I'm like you. I took my Halloween decs down pronto!

And I also have slices of trees on my table. We're practically twins.

:-)

Anne @ Hello Newmans said...

Love your new piece. It is beautiful in that space!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

The sideboard is gorgeous! I'm digging your little pumpkin too. Megan

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

Such lovely decor, Cassie--I really like the squirrels and the turkey, and cute little aqua Pilgrims! The deep peacock buffet is just gorgeous as well.