Tuesday, November 13, 2012

POWW 114: A Furniture Link Party


Happy Tuesday!  Today I have a fun chair makeover to share with you.  I bought a set of 6 of these chairs a while back.  4 had caning in good shape, and 2 needed seat replacement, so I broke them up into a set of 4, and a pair.  I loved their sweet vintage shape.....

I painted all of them with General Finishes Milk Paint in Linen, and I only very lightly sanded them to prep.  For the set of 4 chairs, I wanted a more solid look, and I knew I wanted to keep the caning unpainted.  I painted those with 3 coats each, and distressed them by hand and finished them with a clear wax.  I completely forgot to take a picture of them before I took them to the shop (which, by the way if you are looking for our shop, Persephone, we are no longer in the shop, and only at the barn), but I do at least have a photo of them in the shop before they sold.

I love the contrast of the natural caning with the creamy linen color!

For the other two, I wanted a much more rustic look.  I painted them each with just one coat of paint, and then very heavily distressed them, and finished them with clear wax.  To create new seats, I made a pattern with posterboard, cut the seats out of plywood, and used batting and a burlap sack to cover the seat.  They have a much more weathered and rustic look to them, which I love!  Though the seats do not match they are from the top and bottom halves of one sack, so the colors are all the same.  And in case you are wondering, I laundered the sack by soaking it in oxy clean and water for 24 hours and then let them dry in the sunshine.  They just have a well loved look. ;)




And here are a few closer shots of the finish....



I don't usually go this distressed on my pieces, but something about these chairs was calling for it.  I am glad I went with it!
We are totally out of space at the barn, so most likely these will not be available until the December barn sale!

Now it is your turn to show off your latest furniture projects!

RULES:
1. Your post must be a completed original project and must be a furniture redo or build.
2. Your post must be new to my parties- do not link something you have shared on this blog before.
3. You must be a follower or subscriber to party here.
4. No etsy shops or the like!
5. You must place my button or a text link in your post or sidebar.
6. Leave others some comment love!



Photobucket

51 comments:

Catherine said...

I love those chairs!! They are seriously cool, the burlap sack is great!

Courtney said...

Gorgeous chairs Cassie!! I especially love the pair with the heavy distressing, perfect for those two. And the others have already sold!! Awesome!

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

Love those chairs! I have some cane bottom chairs I need to get to too... Great inspiration! - Susan

suzyq said...

The chairs turned out gorgeous!!!
Thanks so much for hosting another great party!
Hugs,
Suzan

Storywood Designs said...

These might be one of my favorite POWW projects you've posted. I love that you took a single set of chairs and created 2 sets, with 2 very different looks. The first set is pretty, but the second with the distressed finished and grain sack seats... WOW!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

I love the really rustic look of the chairs! They will sell fast!

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

Great vision, as usual, Cassie. I'm finishing up my cane chair this week and can't wait to share it on POWW!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi Cassie,

I've linked up our Grils' Bedroom makeover. If it doesn't count then do feel free to delete it!

It does show the Power of Paint - the Before/After contrast is amazing!

And the furniture is the set I had when I was a little girl! It's so lovely to see my girls using them!

Sarahxxxx

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh--I am in love with these!!
Lisa

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

How cool are those?! Love them!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Those chairs are gorgeous! WOW!

Rachelle Falcon said...

What a cool makeover for those chairs! I especially love the ones with the burlap seat.

Andrea said...

Wow, you've done it again! Love those chairs. The grain sack seat is perfect.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I love the shape of those chairs!

Kirsty said...

Love, love, love the chairs!

Anne said...

Thanks for hosting! Have a great day!!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

The chair set is beautiful and those other chairs so rustic and original. good work Cassafrass.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Those chairs are so pretty! Great choice to distress. You can do no wrong and are so talented with a paintbrush!

pam {simple details} said...

Love that there is always a fun surprise waiting over here ~ we never know what you'll be in the mood for! Fabulous updates!

Dana Frieling said...

The burlap seats make the perfect accent chair. So cute! Great work as usual, girl.

vintageshabbychicks said...

Oh my, I love those burlap covered chairs and heavy distressing! Wish they were in my home:)

Chi-Chi Studio Designs said...

LOVE the chairs! So cute!

Thank you for hosting, as always. I'm so glad I finally have something to share again!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

love those chairs! and it is great to get to see a little bit of your space at the barn, looks amazing - wish i was closer so i could get a better look! oh and i may be way late in commenting on this, but i am so glad that you kept the side board and moved it into your dining room - it is so beautiful! somethings just have to stay home...
keya

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Cassie you did such a great job with those seat covers! How fun and unique!!

Kelly said...

The chairs are awesome. I love the burlap. I covered a stool in a burlap pea sac....but I didn't wash it. Was I supposed to?
I just linked up my sewing kit makeover. I debated if it was furniture enough to link, but since it was disassembled, painted and reassembled, it felt like a good old fashioned furniture project. Please remove it you don't think it fits.

Good Time Charlie said...

I so love these chairs. All four of them! I want those with the burlap seats for my home though. Too cute!

Hetty said...

Those chairs are adorable, Cassie!

Upscale Downhome said...

I love how you redesigned the chairs. They are such good quality pieces and now you brought them up to date. Beautiful!

Ali Richardson said...

Awesomeness!!! You know how I've never met a caned chair I didn't love :)
xoxo

Allison@FabRehab said...

You killed it on those chairs!!! Wowza!

TidyAwayToday said...

Great makeovers on the chairs!

Rita said...

These chairs are Great!!! Such awesme skills you have! :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love that rustic pair, Cassie!! Someone is going to snap those bad boys right up!
xo Heidi

KristaDee said...

Cassie - if I don't have access to milk paint - and just use regular paint - can I still achieve the same really distressed look? I have some old school chairs I want to distress for in the dining room, and an old footboard that will be turned headboard that I can see this type of distressing on. But I don't have access to milk paint. I really love the look of your chairs. They would suit my dining room just right. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gwen said...

You did kill it on those chairs! I LOVE the grain sack...I've never seen one like that. It's so graphic!

Megan @ Apple House Revival said...

SUPER love those chairs!

Simply Salvaged Restoration said...

I'm in love with the pair that you covered in burlap! Perfect!

Scribbler said...

Thanks for the party! I am enjoying the links.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I like both styles, but those grain sack chairs are so cool!

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

They are just awesome! I love each set, but am really crushing on the burlap sack seats! What a great idea, and thanks for the tip to soak in Oxyclean overnight! ...and thank you so much for leaving such a nice comment today! I'll pass your congratulations along to my hubs! :-)
xo Sheila

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Does it really get any better than authentic grain sack cushions, I say no! (c; I absolutely love the cool vintage character that it gives them! And there are some seriously cool projects getting linked up here! Inspiration city!

Beth said...

Those chairs turned out amazing! I have a few grain sacks and tons of chairs. I plan on doing something like this with a few. Thanks for the washing technique you used for the sacks.

Pudel-design said...

The chairs look awesome;)
Thank you for sharing and hosting another party, Cassie!
Love and hugs from Germany...

http://pudel-design.blogspot.de/

Bella said...

Love them all but those heavily distressed chairs hold a special place in my heart. They are gorgeous!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love the rustic feel of the chairs - very unique!

Shelly Andrade said...

OMG Cassie ~ your chairs are AWESOME!!!

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Cassie, those chairs look amazing! The distressing and the seat covers look so good together. You are very talented.

THREE MANGO SEEDS said...

Just stumbled across your chair transformation. I love it Cassie! Sharing it on the blog Friday. XOXO

Beja {Howdy-Honey.com} said...

GORGEOUSNESS. I can't get over how great the linen paint looks all peeled up next to the seat covers.

BRILLIANT!

Heidi White said...

Are the burlap sack chairs for sale?! I work for Cargill and would LOVE to have them in my home:) Or would you know where I could get an antique burlap graphic sack from?! I absolutely love your work!!!

Heidi White said...
This comment has been removed by the author.