Friday, December 14, 2012

A Crafty Christmas: Embroidery Hoop Art



As part of our Crafty Christmas, it's my turn today to share a Christmas craft tutorial.  This one is so inexpensive and so stupidly easy, seriously.  Your dog could do it.  With one paw and his eyes closed.  Speaking of dogs, my kids were having a sweet moment with Charlie the other day, and I had to snap a picture.... it' sad to say I worry that Charlie doesn't have many Christmases left, so I wanted to capture the moment.  Emmy picked out that little blanket for him when we went shopping last weekend.  He loves snuggling with it.

Anyhow, back to my easy craft.  I made some holiday inspired embroidery hoop art.  And no, I didn't embroider.  I don't embroider.  Here is what you will need...

Embroidery hoops of course.  I bought a ton at a yard sale super cheap, but you could pay top dollar at the craft store if you want.  They are pretty inexpensive.
Acrylic Craft Paint and Textile Medium
Flour Sack Towels (I bought mine super cheap from Walmart)
Hot Glue
Embellishments (if desired)
Scissors
Sharpie

I started off by placing the flour sack in my hoop and tightening the hoop around it.  I pulled the sack cloth as taut as I could and then cut around the edges to trim...

At this point, it looked like this.  And it is important to note I did not yet glue into place, in case I messed up on my painting I wanted to be able to remove and start over.

Next, I got out my paint colors, and textile medium.  I mixed 1 part color to 1 part medium and went to town.  I don't have pictures of this process, because I just free handed. You could paint however you wanted.  Once they were dry, I hot glued embellishments onto my tree painting, and hot glued the backing in place so they won't come undone.  Here is what the back looks like.  You can see I just hot glued along the seam between the two hoops, where the fabric poked out a little.

And here are most of my creations...




I kept one and placed it on the bookcases in the living room.  On this one I used black sharpie to write the word.


And there were a couple others, but they were already wrapped before I took my nice pictures, but here is an instagram shot that shoes all of them, including one that Emmy did. :)


See that?  Don't you think your dog could do it?  I think so.  At least I bet Ike could.  And don't forget there is still time to link to the crafty Christmas party!

And now it's Friday! I am off to a coffee hour with a cookie swap- I made some pretzel peanut butter balls.  I may not be able to share.  And then my in-laws arrive later today to celebrate Christmas with us this weekend!  Fun festive times!  Happy Friday!
Photobucket

38 comments:

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

These are so cute Cassie!! I love the embroidery hoops! Such a great idea!

Heather Inspired said...

They look beautiful Cassie, you've done a lovely job with those embroidery hoops - such a clever idea too!

Holly Browning said...

So sweet. I see those rings at the craft store and think they have huge potential....an of course, you brought it out in them. Your kids are so cute!

Julia Konya said...

What a cute picture of your children including the furry child. So sweet!
Love the Hoop Art too!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How cute! I love the peace one on your bookshelves…..and Emmy's Christmas tree….and the munchkins snuggling with their pup...

Andrea said...

Those are so adorable and really do look simple to make. Lucky you getting to celebrate Christmas early! Have a great weekend.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Those are really cute Cassie! I was admiring them at the barn. Happy weekend!

DecorandtheDog said...

:) Ike could totally whip a few of these up before the holidays!

I think they are adorable. I've made myself stop Christmas crafting but I'm pinning this baby for next year!

Dana Frieling said...

I love the simplicity of your hoops! They look great grouped together. Enjoy your weekend, Cassie. Let the festivities begin!

pam {simple details} said...

Perfect on your bookcase ~ love me a simple craft! Precious photo of all your babies! :)

Cathy Wall said...

Easy peasy, love this and may have to give it a go! Dang, your kids and Charlie are cute as can be...!

Bliss said...

Those are cute, and I sure hope the hound has lots more time, I don't want him leaving those cute kids.

Bliss

The Bold Abode said...

Hotshot would sit and patiently watch you make them and then, whilst your back was turned devour them as a tasty snack!

Oh, they are fun and super cute, you creative maven... Hope you rack up this weekend... I mean have a wonderful time celebrating with your in-laws!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

What a cute, fast, fun project to do! I love them. And such a cute shot of the kids with Charlie. Happy Friday to you!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Inspired, Cassie! What a fun and festive project! Enjoy your family this weekend!
Xo Heidi

Dear Emmeline said...

so cute! I like Emmy's the best ;) just sayin'! Have fun this weekend! I'd say save me some cookies but I certainly do NOT need any sweets this year. :0

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

Such a sweet idea! I can see these hung in a gallery cluster somewhere too. Great way to up the festive on a dime!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

These are so cute! And I love that picture of your kids - so great pic to cherish!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

You know I love my dogs, but I'm not so sure they could do it. BUT, you should do a paw print one of Charlie's paw ... a nice little keepsake for those Christmases wayyyyy in the future when he won't be around. Super cute craft! It's been a fun week partying with you!!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Very cute. The Peace on is my fav!

Jane Craske said...

So cute! Even I would be able to do this-which is really saying for this craft challenged gal.

Ali Richardson said...

SoooOoooooooOoo awesome! I love it! I need to get hoopy soon! Love that!

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

these are just adorable! I could even do these!! ;) (I sew, but no embroidery....) Love those little wreaths especially.
I have to tell you, your Lollie pics on IG are the best. I laugh every time!!! so cute. Hoping you have some wonderful Christmas memories with Charlie. Love.

Kelly said...

What a sweet idea! Painting: SO much easier than embroidery! You can't even tell it's paint in the pics. So cute!

Allison said...

Very pretty! I like the trees. Such a clever idea to use the embroidery hoops for this. You're a creative genius my dear! Sweet photo of the kids and Charlie.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

funny--as I started reading, I was thinking I should be doing some crafts, since I can't do any building...then you ask the question. I suppose I could do this...

I know you are hugging those sweet faces tonight. Don't let them go...
gail

caviardreamsblog said...

Adorable!! I love their mixed media quality!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now just look at you...these are so darn cute Cassie!!

Blessings,
Linda

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

So cute! I love how you painted the wreath, very charming. I do embroidery art now and have been using rick rack on the back of the hoop over the cut fabric. It covers the cut part and the rick rack peeks out...pretty cute if you ever want to try it!

elizabeth said...

Super, super cute idea!!! I love projects I could actually do! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my Christmas-y home post.

southernscraps said...

These are so pretty! Love this idea!

Katie said...

These are adorable Cassie - super easy as well! So many possibilities with these!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

These are adorable! Definitely adding this to my holiday decoration inspiration list for next year!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

These are adorable! So fun!

Julianne said...

These are so cute!!!

amber-wills said...

So pretty!! I've been wanting to pull a little embroidery hoop decor in Ramona's room. I love how these look for Christmas too! Great idea!

Amber @ Wills Casa

Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista said...

What a darling project! I love the paint because I am far from taking the time to learn how to embroider! I can most definitely paint and have some hoops ready for some crafting!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I love a super cute project like this. I would have never thought of it!
Love the picture of your adorable kids and their dog.