Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013: The Year of the Pom Pom! (My first pom pom project- pillow shams!)



I have this friend.  And not only is she beautiful, funny, charming, and the best friend a girl could ask for (oh and did I mention she has an identical twin who is just as awesome?  Yeah, I get two best friends for the price of one!).  Anyhow, this amazing friend can make some pretty awesome pom poms and she makes the cutest pom pom garlands and bookmarks and ornaments with her pom poms (which are available in her shop!)  She has also made herself the most adorable happy pom pom wreath....

And for Christmas, she gave me my very own pom pom wreath (with a note that specifically said, "You and my sister are the only people I will ever make this for." So don't expect them in her shop any time soon as they must be a real pain in the you know what to make!)
I had told her that 2013 was going to be "the year of the pom pom" for me!  I was finally going to master pom pom making, and I was going to make the world a happier place, one pom pom at a time! :)  I mean, come on now, can you look at a pom pom and not smile?  You can't.  I tried.
So in the package with my very own pom pom wreath, were my very own pom pom makers!!!  I received 4 different sizes, and also yarn needles so I could make my own garlands, or sew them on to things.  I was so excited to get to work, and it just so happened we needed some new pillow shams for our bedroom as ours were getting pretty dingy and one of the ties had come off.  I wanted to make some with big pom pom corners!

I headed to Jo-Ann's and purchased navy yarn, and bought some pretty white seersucker fabric with a thin metallic gold stripe.

I cut my fabric to size, and used the classic envelope method (here is an example tutorial from Tatertots and Jello), which I think is perfect for pillow shams.

Once the pillow was sewn together, I got to work making 8 pom poms in the largest size I had available.  Using these pom pom makers from Clover made it SUPER EASY and if you are interested in pom-poming it up, I recommend them!  When I tied them together (the last step with these pom pom makers) I left the ends of the yarn I tied with long so I could sew them to my pillow.
 I used my needle and threaded one of the long strands.

I kept the pillow sham inside out when I added the pom poms.
 Then coming from the right side of the sham (inside of it at this point, since it was flipped inside out), I poked the threaded needle through the seam near the corner, and pulled the yarn strand out.

Keeping the pom pom in place, I threaded the second strand and pulled the needle through the perpendicular seam of the same corner, and then pulled that yarn strand through.
I tied these strands in a tight knot and trimmed them.  I repeated this for all four corners, and then turned it right side out and prayed it would look as cool as it did in my head.

Here they are on my bed!  And I am happy- they lived up the the pom pom pillow shams of my dreams!





What do you think?  Do you love them like I do?  Even if you don't, it's my bed anyhow, right? ;)
And you know what's really funny.... I tell you all I am going to just take it day by day, no more link parties, and I have no idea what projects I will work on this year and that's ok.... and then, well once I feel relaxed and stress free, creativity flows like a river and I dive headfirst into a spontaneous project!  Because as of December 31, I had no intentions of making these.  But by lunch time on January 2, they were done.   So I am just going to keep taking it day by day, and who knows what may happen!
Photobucket
sharing here:
http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/2013/01/its-pom-pom-party.html

59 comments:

Megan said...

First off I did not realize that Oliver's cute Mommy was Ali's twin! I only ever see pics of that chubby little baby face on Insatgram :) Second, I'm totally jealous of your pom pom maker, I LOVE them on your bed!! I can't wait to see all the pom pom making in 2013!!!

kelly arent-Copper Roof Interiors LLC said...

First of all.....I love these little pom pom balls...adorable. Secondly....I love your new approach to 2013. Life is too short for uneccessary stress. We will all still love and follow your blog and be a little happier knowing you are doing projects FOR YOU!
Happy New Year and hope it brings you much creative and fun projects with a healthy and happy mind!!
xoxo Kelly

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

That sounds like the best way for creativity to hit :) And you're right, who doesn't like a pom pom?? They're the perfect whimsical touch to your bedding!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Those pom pom wreaths are adorable! I love them. :) What a fantastic idea to add them to your pillows. Very cute. :)

Megan

Heather said...

I love pom poms too! I made some for my iceskating wreath..I hadn't made pom poms since Girls Scouts I think.
http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2012/12/frame-skates-holiday-door-decor.html

I might have to try my hand a full pom pom wreath!

The shams look great! My daughter has some of that bedding from Ikea too. Love it!

http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2010/10/teen-room-redo-part-3-reveal.html

Laura from Top This Top That said...

Every pom pom is know is fun! Happy New Year Cassie!~

Allison@FabRehab said...

I cringe at the thought of making them, but you make it look easy! Such great shams and and even better attitude. Here's to great friends!

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie you must have ESP!!! I just finished making some pom poms (a bit smaller than yours) for my girl #2. I swear sometimes I think use bloggers have a weird 6th sense. Love the white / grey contrast.

Cathy Wall said...

LOVE these!!! I went on a pom pom frenzy before Christmas making book marks for my book group friends and had so much fun! I am totally doing this...maybe a wreath and a garland too. And lucky you to have twins as some of your closest friends. Twice in my life I have had bff twins and today my twin friends from college are still some of my dearest.
Keep the creative mojo going Cassie!!!

DecorandtheDog said...

These are adorable! They make me happy just looking at them.

Unfortunately, they would last approximately 5 minutes in my house. The dog is obsessed with things he can rip off pillows. That little angel of mine...

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Those little pom poms realy are so darn cute! I love Ali's wreaths. And I didn't even know there was such a thing as a pom pom maker. I have a pom pom pillow on my bed too, but I can't take credit for it. Maybe pom poms can make the world a happier place!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

The year of the pom pom. LOVE it!!! And just got caught up on your last couple of posts. Can I say, when I let things go it always seems that the right things just fall into place. So happy to hear it seems to be working the same for you. :) The photo booth from your NYE party is such an awesome idea, too.

What does 2013 mean to me??? MOVING! Yep ... packers actually will be here tomorrow. Helloooooo change. :)

17 Perth said...

I am BIG on no pressure! Having no pressure does let the creativity flow! And I love it. I didn't know 2013 was the year of the pom pom ;). I might be heading to Michaels today! Of course I need to get my tree out first. Yes, it is still IN my house. Haha.

reFresh reStyle said...

Love them! Now I want to make 2013 the year of my pom pom :) Have a great day!
Debbie

Bliss said...

I pledge to refer to 2013 as the year of the Pom Pom. I am quite sure I can confuse people who think it is the year of snake and make them wonder what sort of an animal a Pom Pom is.

Bliss

pam {simple details} said...

You're right, can't look at them without smiling! :) I must say they weren't on my radar, but now you've got me thinking!

Bella said...

Makes you wonder how many cool projects never come to fruition because we're too busy following a plan. I'm all for a spontaneous and fun New Year :) And looks like you are too...love the pom pom shams!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

These are so CA-UTE!!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I think they are adorable and fun at the same time! One of my to-do projects is to make a pompom wreath! Thanks for the inspiration Cassie!

Jennifer Spadaro said...

very cute!

Kelly said...


Cassie... Where did you get your bedding? I just painted my master the same color as Carmel_Our fifth house--which appears to be simialr to yours.... Going for a simple/rustic look.... Luv your room and the turquoise looks great with the blue!!!! Just found your blog a few days ago... and luv it!

Andrea said...

What a great friend! Yep, your right, pom poms do make you happy. Just seeing yours made me smile. Now I have the urge to make some!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Okay now I want some poms in this house! Cute!

Ali Richardson said...

Yay yay yay! Love this pom pommy post :) Your shams look GREAT! As the pom pom guru of the past, I am surprise I never added them to pillows. Hmm, strange....must do! Love you friend!! And thanks for all the sweet things you said about my sis and I :) Made me blush. XOXO

Miss Charming said...

Such fun pom pom projects! (And I'm loving the colorful wreath.)

caviardreamsblog said...

Adorable! I love that creativity found you, that you didn't have to hunting it down! Because that is most exhausting, you know?! Happy New Year, Cassie!

Allison said...

Those pillows look great Cassie! Pom Poms are happy. I don't know that I have ever made one. They'd be fun to add to a ribbon on a gift, too.

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

obsessed with pom-poms. Like, I want to put them on every pillow in the Shop and every project in G's room! So cute!

homeseasonsdecor said...

These are so cute! Definitely loving the year of the pom pom so far!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I LOVE your pompom shams! And thank you for the trick for attaching them- I really had no idea how to add those big fat fluffy goodies to the corners. I just may have to get a pompom maker!

Beth said...

I love them:)!! The year of the pom pom is going to rock!:)

Amy said...

Love pom poms! Can't wait to see where else you use them!

Dear Emmeline said...

It's funny how when you let go you tend to become even more productive and creative!

Dear Emmeline said...

p.s. I've always thought it is cool to be a twin (even though my twin is a boy and we don't have a we're best friends and connected at the hip type relationship.....occasionally we say the same thing at the same time or finish each other's thought though...weird!)

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

Day by day is a great way to start off the new year, Cassie, and your pompoms are the perfect marker! They just make me smile!

Courtney said...

so i didn't believe you (sorry) you were right...you cant look at a pom pom and not smile! So true and just what i needed :) thanks Cassie!

Julia Konya said...

Love the pompoms, unfortunately my cats would love them too on our bed ;)
Can't wait to see where your creative juices will flow to in 2013

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse said...

I LOVE pompoms and on the corners of pillows they look perfect!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Raising my pom poms in the air and doing a little cheer - Give me an F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!

I did my very first pom pom project today too - sharing it next week! Pom Poms definitely make the world a much better place!
Kelly

Renee said...

Pretty perfect and playful pompoms! I'm sure they will be popular...now only if your name was Patty..this alliteration would be complete! Seriously, nice job.

Kelly said...

I saw these when you posted them on FB and loved them -- but i didn't realize you'd also sewed the whole dang pillowcase! I love that seersucker and gold fabric with the navy. Need more pom-poms in my life!

Holly Browning said...

How cute is that!?

meredithjane said...

Eeek!! Love those!

Ginger Walls said...

I love them! I think they are adorable. I would love to master the pom pom as well. They are such a fun touch!

Ginger

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

super cute :)

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

OMG. LOVE them. What a fun & unique little detail on your bed.

Katie said...

I'm in love with pom poms right now! They just make everything so happy! Your shams turned out adorable - I love the fabric you used as well! What a perfect little pop of gold!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I LOVE those wreaths! How cute!!
I had tons of pom poms when I taught pre-k, we used them for lots of games...my sister made them a hundred years ago...wonder where they are now?
hmmmm
your pillow is sweet!
gail

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

You are so right, pom poms make you smile! Love your new pillows and how your new wreath on the chalkboard!

Barbara Hiatt said...

I love poms!! That wreath you made is adorable!!

Barbara at Chase the Star

Hetty said...

Love the pom poms Cassie! Love to make a pom pom garland...

Good Time Charlie said...

That pom pom wreath is to die for! I LOVE your pillows with Pom pom trim. Yes, I am ready for some pom poms myself. I should make some for my office, when it finally gets done. Gave up on the master bedroom. Again!

Pinecone said...

Hi there! Thanks for checking out my pom pom necklace! These pillows are soooo cute - and your bedding is so gorg. Love the mix of colors/textiles!!
xo
Ashlyn

Susan said...

These pillows turned out wonderfully Cassie. Now I'm tempted to get an official pom-pom maker kit. Your project looks so do-able! :)

Pieced Pastimes said...

Hi Cassie, Thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment about my Pom-Pom Wreath. Your Pom-Pom'd shams are so cute! I agree with you that there is something about Pom-Pom's that just makes you smile.
Have a Wonderful Day,
Suzanne

Pam said...

Your pillow is adorable! And yes, it is the year of the pom pom isn't it!

Jennifer Rizzo said...

I love the little touch to the pillow! t makes it special! Great project

coco plum said...

where did you get your comforter? it is too perfect!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

Hi Cocoplum! It's from West Elm but I got it on clearance a year ago.... not sure they still have it.