Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Craft Closet Version 2.0, the Mini


Something about the fresh clean slate of a new year makes me want to create a clean slate around me.  I have been storming through the closets around here, and getting rid of unused items.  It's felt great and it's also made me want to make use of all that wasted space!  Among the items we have disposed of were two working TV's.... I try not to touch the electronics and Chris likes to hang on to them, because you never know when you might need an old TV.  I mean they did work.  (And don't worry, they didn't go to the landfill- they went to Goodwill).  Both TV's were rather large and one of them was on the floor of the closet in the playroom, which is a tiny awkward closet under the stairs.  When we moved on this closet had the ugliest, dingiest curtain you could imagine hanging on it.  I left it there forever, because we weren't using the closet anyhow, except to store the TV and all of our DVD's.  I had a bookcase in the garage that hadn't sold that was a perfect fit for the DVD's, and the TV was gone, and BOOM usable space!  But so little.... and awkward.  Who could even use it?  Who, but a little person like this.....
Photo taken with a mouth full of marshmallow while decorating a graham cracker house
Pretty much exactly one year ago, I created my own craft closet in the guest room.  Here's a little refresher in case you don't remember....
I am proud to say my own craft closet looks relatively the same because when everything has a place, it's easy to clean it up!
I decided to give my craft daughter her very own craft closet under the stairs!  Here is the space I started with.  At this point in time you can see I at least changed out the curtain for something a little more fun. I had these pink polka dot panels on hand.  I had planned on using them in our old house and never did, but I liked the fabric, so kept them.  I still need to hem it.  You can also see the awesome indentation in the carpet from the old heavy TV.

Now, let's look behind that curtain to see what it looks like now....

I had this vintage child's table in my garage as it had been in the playroom before I got the larger round antique table.  I also had the chair on hand.  It was one of the first vintage child's chairs I painted and I love it!  I hung a vintage sheet bunting I made last Spring when Ali was here.  I painted the back wall and the angled wall with Dutch Boy in Lake Champlain that was left from my old sideboard.  I planned on painting the entire area, but once I had that area done, I liked it just like that!  And of course aside from one lightbulb, there is no other light, so keeping the white on the sides helps keep it brighter.

On the top shelf I used metal buckets I had on hand and filled them with foam stickers and paint- things that Emmy needs to ask for if she wants to use, thus up high and out of reach!

On each side, I used items I already had from the barn that had not sold, and some items from her room.  On the left side (which is hard to photograph, so I apologize!) I hung a pink E I bought her a year and a half ago at the Rose Bowl Flea, and some cute vintage wooden plaques that hadn't sold.  They remind me of Holly Hobby, but are not.  But they sure are sweet.  I also had a vintage resib plaque featuring a toadstool and frog that I had painted pink and it had not sold.  (I know.... not everyone loves this stuff like I do!!!)


 This one is Emmy's favorite because she loves ice cream!


On the right side I added crayon artwork my brother's girlfriend had created for Emmy, a cute upcycled aqua owl my parents gave me, a pink chandelier chalkboard that had not sold and some butterflies that had not sold.




As of Sunday I had completed all of that, but I needed to make a trip to Ikea to finish it off and give her a little storage.  I already had baskets we weren't using anymore, but I needed a shelf, and I needed the bar with plastic buckets I had seen there.  Sarah and I took a trip and I picked up what I needed, and am happy to report that I only spent about $25 getting those last items, and that is the only money spent on this project.  Here you can see the white shelf, the bar with hot pink buckets filled with her crafty things, and of course I added a cute vintage aqua owl to the shelf (a gift from my sweet friend, Emily).



 And here is one more look at the final product!

And I am proud to report that she has been LOVING it!  She used it all Sunday afternoon even without the shelf and storage, and she used it again yesterday when she came home from school.  Just look at the creative genius this room is already producing.

 Gluing pom poms in a row, and writing bow wow wow.... that, my friends, is art.





Photobucket

Sharing here:

66 comments:

Mel Mac said...

What an adorable craft space for mini me :)

I would have loved a little space like that when I was young.

Laura from Top This Top That said...

that sure is! what a wonderful space for her. Love it!

Beverly Pennington said...

what a great use of space ~ and what fun for Emmy to have her own craft closet like mama!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Like mother like daughter huh? Very cute space!

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

What an ADORABLE idea. She must be crazy excited to have her own little space!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this little space. One, it's such a great use of that nook under the stairs, and Two, Emmy will get so much use out of it and always remember this little spot that you made just for her. So creative and cute!
In our last house I turned that space under the stairs in our basement into a dress-up spot, with hooks for the princess and Power Rangers stuff, a bookcase with accessories, a big mirror and curtains like you have. Oh I miss those days!

Julia Konya said...

My Lilly would love this too. How sweet! Bow WOW WOW...

Julia Konya said...

My Lilly would love this too. How sweet! Bow WOW WOW...

René said...

What an adorable space! I enjoyed following the development on insta! I know Emmy must be thrilled!

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

That's fantastic, my daughter wont be seeing this, I dont have a spare closet and she would kill to have this space :)

Designing Domesticity said...

Wow, this is adorable. I just love it and obviously so does your daughter. Genius in the making! Thanks for sharing, liz

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

How perfect!!! I can just picture that cutie-pa-tootie sitting in there creating her little heart out :)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That is so cute, Cassie! Every little touch is just adorable and fun. :) I'm sure she is loving it. Megan

Bella said...

Awesome! Now she has her own little creation station just like mama!

charmaine said...

I love it! So adorable!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Gosh Cassie, that is just one really sweet space! I bet Emmy loves it. All the little details and happy colors are inspiring. Emmy will surely be a crafting wiz just like her mommy. Lucky little girl!!!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

What an awesome little spot to create! And Emmy is just so cute. Love her artwork!

Angela

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

This little space turned out so so cute! LOVE all the details!

The Refeathered Roost said...

What a lucky girl! I know she will enjoy it for a long time to come. So thoughtful of you and what a good role model you are in being creative and giving her every opportunity to be creative as well. Awesome job!
Melinda

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Adorable! That is exactly what I needed as a child.

Good Time Charlie said...

Funny, I am in the process of a complete overhaul on my craft room/office. And mine definitely does not look like yours!

The little craft area for Emmy is so sweet! I would crawl in there myself to create! Oh how I would have loved something like this when I was her age. I used to set up a table in the corner of our family room to make creatiions, then "sell them" to whomever might be visiting the house. You could say I have always loved selling my creations. I bet Emmy might be following in your foot steps!

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

I LOVE it Cassie! Looks great!! Elizabeth would be super jealous. Good thing she doesn't read blogs yet!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

That is awesome. What a lucky little girl!! I remember when I was a about five or six years old, my mom created a "business" space for me so I could do all my paperwork. No crafts - just "business." To this day I think about how cutting edge it was back then to do encourage that. If I was Emmy, I'd never leave!!

17 Perth said...

Hahaha. Love her art. And I absolutely love what you did with that little space. I am however a little jealous that you have an IKEA close to you--but that is another story. ;)

Those crayons are too too cute. Did you make that? Love it.

buildingthisnest said...

This is so sweet!! Such a great idea for a creative little girl, and a great use of otherwise awkward, waster space. I love the pink toadstool!! And those butterflies are great too. I'm surprised that stuff didn't sell! Great job :)

Steph

buildingthisnest said...

This is so sweet!! Such a great idea for a creative little girl, and a great use of otherwise awkward, waster space. I love the pink toadstool!! And those butterflies are great too. I'm surprised that stuff didn't sell! Great job :)

Steph

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I can't believer how you whipped that all together with stuff you already had! It is so adorable and fits her perfectly! And we just got rid of a tv, keyboard and an old motherboard! Ken tend to hang onto electronics too!

Anna See said...

charming and adorable! you did a great job. i remember those little plaques from when i was a girl.

Jacqueline said...

What a great idea! I only wish I had a neat little nook like this!

All About Vignettes said...

That is so cute. I want a sweet little girl who likes to create.

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

ADORABLE!!! I love this!

Gretchen said...

Oh my goodness! That might just be the most adorable thing I've ever seen!

MyJourneyBack said...

Oh Cassie very cute. I does remind of a space I had not for crafts but for my Barbie dolls and all the stuff that goes along! I love this idea though. I am wanting to do something similar for my little grandson. Thanks for sharing this you've inspired.
Have a wonderful week,
Sherry

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

What a great inspiring space to encourage your budding artist!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

That is just an adorable room for your little crafter. She'll have her own blog in no time!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Absolute LOVE!!! It is just perfect!

michele said...

absolutely adorable, and so happylovely! what an incredible place to make memories for a lifetime.

smiles to you.

michele

Kelly said...

Well OF COURSE she's loving it. I would've camped out in there, never leaving ever, if I were Emmy's age. And probably now too.

Ali Richardson said...

LOVE it! that is one lucky little girl you have :) When I come over, if you can't fine me, you know where to look! xo

The Bold Abode said...

Fantastic...Stupendous..Amazing!

I know Emmy LOVES it and she'll have so much fun creating and dreaming there!

Jane Craske said...

What an awesome, awesome idea. I've had "organize all my craft stuff" on my to do list for about three years now. Now I have to make it happen.

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

She's a genius!! I ADORE this project, Cassie -- what little crafty girl wouldn't die to have a space to call her own?? Precious on every level (and you already know how I love her little face)!
xo heidi

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

I mean, could she BE any cuter?! Love that special little space for her. You better watch out for those budding skills!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oh Cassie, what a fun little space! I'm sure her new little secret hide-out will be her favorite place! How sweet of you to make this for your little one. And, what a stash you have to pull from. Love how everything came together!

Lauren said...

What a wonderful little space!!

reFresh reStyle said...

I love it! I know she loves her new space to create bow~wow~wow ;) I wish my craft area was this nice.
Debbie

Catherine said...

Just beautiful! My daughter is a little crafter too! I love the table, and those scrolly butterflies are lovely.

Jeannine said...

What a great purpose for a small unused space. You can switch out the furniture for a beanbag when she's older for a reading nook or phone-talking space!

Beth said...

I love this for so many reasons! How awesome to create such a fun space for so little money. It's amazing how unloading extra 'stuff' can free up space for the good stuff. Kid art is the best good stuff there is:)! Emmy will remember her craft corner that her Mom made for her forever!!

Anne said...

She is a lucky girl! Her craft space is adorable!
xx
Anne

DecorandtheDog said...

You are the coolest mom ever. I'm taking notes in case I decide to jump on the spawn bandwagon.

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

this is adorable! love all the little details!

Allison said...

That is a darling space! Yes, Emmy is a mini you....so cute. What a fun space for her to be creative.

Dear Emmeline said...

majorly adorable! all of it!

Jessica DecorAdventures said...

I love how you have a cute little nook, just perfect for mini crafting :-)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Bow wow wow was a great 80's band, she's got good taste. :) Love the craft corner. That desk is so sweet and so much fun for a little girl to have a special place all her own! You are a great mom!

pam {simple details} said...

I bet she's loving her own custom hide-out to craft away! The sweet details are so FUNctional!! :)

Katie said...

Oh! My! Heaven! This is adorable Cassie! I bet Emmy is having a blast creating in her mini craft closet! You did a great job!

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

What an adorable crafting hideaway! With all the inspiration in her nook and all around her -- Emmy may just grow up to be a world renown artist!

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

That is gorgeous, my miss 5 would adore that space to draw and craft without Being annoyed by her sister and brothers. What a lucky little girl you have
Alison

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Cutest crafting closet AND cutest crafting daughter. Love it.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I ADORE this ... not only because it is a beautiful space but because it fosters unadulterated creativity. :)

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

LOVE that! So pretty and gives her just the perfect spot to create. So fun!

Eclectically Vintage said...

I need a closet, nook, area, space, spot for all my stuff! Love your closet and the mini-me version - you are one organized mama!
Kelly

Jaime Lyn said...

I seriously love this closet SO much Cassie!!! AMAZING! :o) you have the most lucky little gal ever!
Jaime

Barbara Hiatt said...

Oh I LOVE this! I was just talking to my husband about how I need to create storage for all my craft junk errr..supplies and we both decided on the closet under the stairs! While I can't fit a grown up sized desk in there I will definitely take some of your advice on this post and add shelving and storage. Can't wait to get started, thanks for the inspiration. Your little girl is one lucky lil lady!
XO, Barbara at Chase the Star