Thursday, January 17, 2013

Happy Birthday, Emmy! (and her reaction)

WARNING:  This post contains a bajillion adorable photos of Emmy.  It's hard to choose favorite pictures of your own kid!

I will never forget the day I discovered I was pregnant with Emmy.  Chris and I had just taken a trip to Mexico; Sawyer was 9 months old when we left.  The week after we returned from our trip, I ran into my gynecologist at the grocery store, and also at the pool.  I had never seen her outside of her office before, in all the time I knew her, even though we lived in the same town and she was a member of the gym I worked at.  I knew that He was telling me something.  I just knew. But it was too early to take a test, and believe me we were not planning on having our kids that close in age.  The very first day I could take a test, I purchased the box with all 3.  I took one.  Positive.  Two.  Positive.  Three.  Positive.  Yep.  I was pregnant.  I was already clearly hormonal, had just finished brestfeeding Sawyer a couple months before that and was all out of whack!  I called my best friend in a panic and drove to her work and talked to her....  I went home and tried to calm myself down.  Chris came home from work and sat in the office on the computer for a bit.  I gave Sawyer a bath and put him to bed.  I paced the house and made laps... walking into the office with the intention of telling Chris, and then blurting out something else and walking out.  I did that a few times.

Finally, I went for it.
"So...... I think I am pregnant."
"Really?"
"Well, I have just had this weird hunch and then I ran into Dr. Y in two different places, and I feel like it's a message."
Chris looks at me like I am crazy.
"And also all three of these tests here are positive."
 I present him with the tests.
"Are you mad?"
"Am I mad??  Why would I be mad?!?!  We are going to have another baby!  You don't ever have to worry about me being mad about that.... unless of course it's someone else's."
It wasn't someone else's, so big sigh of relief from me!

Here we are when I was 5 months pregnant, celebrating Chris' 30th birthday.  See, we were happy, even though crazed.

So you can see I was nervous and apprehensive and wasn't totally ready yet.  And then I wanted a boy.  My baby boy number 1, Sawyer, was the dream baby.  He was SO good, the baby for which everyone wishes.  Clearly, it was because he was a boy and I needed another one of those.  When I discovered I was having a girl, I again wasn't ready and was worried.  How would I handle a girl?  Oh the drama!

But Emmy came along, and our life has changed so much for the better.  Over the past 6 years, I have watched her grow, charming men all along the way. ;)  I have watched Sawyer become a fabulous big brother, sensitive to girls and the needs of others, and I am sure that is because of his little sister.
He was trying to teach her how to roll over here... He was a fountain of knowledge he wanted to pass on, yet he was only 19 months old.

She has made our lives more colorful, full of song, spirit, creativity, and spunk.


I may have been nervous about having a little girl, but now I feel completely blessed.  And now, just because this is my blog and I can, I am going to subject you of some of my favorite photos of Emmy when she was smaller...



























I had so much fun going through my pictures of Emmy the other night.  She has grown so much!  And oh how I love those squishy cheeks and pudgy thighs!

Now, I promised you all that I would show you her reaction to the dollhouse bookcase.  Her birthday is today, of course, but Chris has to work this evening so we decided to celebrate a night early and gave her her gifts.  I stacked the other gifts inside the house...


Here she is checking it out...
And here, you can see she has digested what she has seen and is excited!!
She was so excited she didn't even notice the paper backing until it was in her room and then she asked me if I did it.  I told her I did and she gave me a huge hug!  She and Sawyer spent most of the evening playing with her new dollhouse!!!!

Emmy, there will come a day when you will be old enough to read my blog, and I am sure you will look back on these posts to learn about me, to learn about you, and to learn about our family.  I hope that what you see most is how special you are to me, and how loved you are by all of us.  You may have caught me totally by surprise in the beginning, but now to think of life without you would be to never have known the warmth of sunshine on my face..... unimaginable.  I love you, baby girl.

61 comments:

Laura from Top This Top That said...

okay, I am crying now!! How sweet is this post and your heart! I always enjoy seeing the pics of Sawyer and Emmy together, there is just something about them. You can see the connection ( although they probably don't on all days) and love for each other.

Stacey said...

Awwwww! So sweet! Love it - thanks for sharing such a special part of your life.
Stacey

Julia Konya said...

What a special post. Beautiful pictures and memories!
Happy birthday Emmy!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Happy Birthday Emmy! It's so cute that both kids enjoyed playing with the doll house!

The pictures of Emmy over the years are adorable. She always looks like Emmy, even when she was a baby! It's funny too because so of the clothes my baby girl is now wearing!

The Far Fifty said...

Happy Birthday, Emmy! What a lovely little lady you're raising. So adorable!

Renee said...

Happy Birthday sweet Emmy! I enjoyed these pictures and I do remember her when she was little...now she's so grown up! Oh, where do the years go?

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Awh How sweet!! Happy B-day Emmy

Lisa @ Before Meets After said...

This brought tears to my eyes! I remember when I "got" my grandmother's doll house but I was too young to play with it, but then when I was given it for my birthday I was thrilled. I will never forget that, and neither will Emmy. Thanks for shaing :) It brought a smile to my face to remember my Grandma this morning!

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

Loved reading this - so sweet. That picture of Emmy holding Sawyer's face over her shoulder is too precious. Oh, and, such a flashback for me, but I had those EXACT Miss Piggy sheets on my bed when I was a girl!

Mary said...

So sweet ... Happy Birthday to Emmy! She is adorable, Cassie.

Cathy Wall said...

Happy Birthday Emmy!!!! Love the photos and tale of this adorable girl, what a blessing!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Two days in a row you've given me my "happy", Cassie!! What a precious girl and what a loving mama... you are blessed!!
xo Heidi

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a beautiful post, Cassie! Totally made me tear up. ;) You have such adorable children, and her reaction to the present is priceless. Happy Birthday, Emmy. Megan

Megan said...

awwwwww I LOVED this post and see all those pictures of your mini me!!! She sure is one lucky girl to have such a great Mommy. Uhhh and thank for setting the bar high, I'm gonna need my neighbor to help me build M a doll house, so cute! I could not find one cute one in the stores at christmas!

Dear Emmeline said...

Happy Birthday Emmy! What a sweet little girl. :) Loved looking back at your kids when they were little. So cool to see tem grow but still look exactly like themselves.

Andrea said...

You are one fantastic mom! You know that, right. Emmy are Sawyer are blessed to have you. What a sweet post about an adorable little girl!!

Gail Wilson said...

Love the pictures over time! My favs-the one with her on the bed (mirror) and the one looking out the window. (I have one JUST like that with jamie and I always have loved the sunlight on her face)
ohhh, how wonderful the gift is! Lucky little Emmy!
Happy Birthday to your sweetie pie!
gail

Between Blue and Yellow said...

So sweet, you knew she would love it! My fav is the pic 3rd from last, where she is looking out the window. Happy Birthday Emmy!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a lovely post Cassie! Happy birthday to your sweet girl!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Happy Birthday Emmy... enjoy your house, created with love!

17 Perth said...

Okay Cassie! You made me cry! Hahaha. Such a sweet post!! And I love that photo of her and Sawyer when she is touching his face. So so sweet! And I love how you told Chris--hahaha--that would be something I would totally do. His reaction was awesome.

So glad you guys had a great time yesterday-and so happy she loved her dollhouse! Happy Birthday to your little girl!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Happy Happy Birthday Emmy!!

Decor & Harmony said...

You are just filled with mommy love today.....this is such a precious and beautifully written post. Happy birthday Emmy :)

Bliss said...

Trade you everything I ever made or ever will make and she comes to live with me. Sawyer too. Oh heck I'm old enough to be your mom so I may as well adopt you too. And could she look any more like a mini Cassie??

Bliss

Good Time Charlie said...

Thanks for letting us in on this very sweet little slice of your family life. Those pictures are adorable! The bookcase dollhouse turned out so cute too. Happy Birthday Emmy!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Happy birthday to your sweet sweet girl!!!
She is beautiful, has so much personality, and is a joy to know (and I've only met her once!) How lucky are you to watch her grow up, and how lucky is she to have you for a mom!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Happy birthday to your sweet sweet girl!!!
She is beautiful, has so much personality, and is a joy to know (and I've only met her once!) How lucky are you to watch her grow up, and how lucky is she to have you for a mom!!

Andrea said...

OMG! Love the fat baby pictures!!!! It's the only time in our lives fat is adorable!!!!! Totally relate to pregnancy story. My 2 are 20 months apart!!! happy Birthday Emmy!!!!

DecorandtheDog said...

Little Emmy photos are making my ovaries hurt. Way to go!! :P
Hope she has a fantastic birthday!!!

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

So sweet Cassie!! Happy Birthday Emmy!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Happy Birthday Emmy! What a sweet, beautiful girl. I hope you enjoy your special day and spend lots of time playing with that fabulous new dollhouse!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Such a beautiful post for Emmy to look back on someday. Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl! Loved all the pictures and dollhouse too. What are you doing for furniture? Did I miss that post?

Kelly said...

Such a sweet post! I seem to be a pile of goo today reading all my blogs because this is the second time today I've cried! What a lucky little girl. The fact that her and Sawyer played together with the doll house just totally makes my day. I bet when Emmy is old enough to read back on your blog she's going to feel so loved. Have a great day with your kiddos!

Cristi Bishop said...

such a sweet tribute to emmy- really, to sawyer and Chris too!

Maureen said...

My first ever blog post :) Very sweet tribute to a very beautiful girl who is certainly a blessing, and very blessed in her loving family. Happy Birtnday to Emmy!

Kathy said...

So sweet! Thanks for sharing! I showed this to my daughter this morning so she could see. She said "where is the little boy?" I thought that was funny. As I looked back at your pictures, I can't believe how much they have both grown since I have been following your blog about 3 years ago. Time goes by way too fast! Happy Birthday to Emmie!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Beautiful post! Happy Birthday Emmy!

Dana Frieling said...

Off to get my tissue now...so sweet! Hope you guys are eating some yummy cake today. Love watching your sweet family via your blog. Thanks for sharing!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Aww, such a sweet and beautiful post, Cassie. You are so blessed to have 2 great kids, and they are blessed to have you and Chris for parents. Happy birthday, Emmy- you are a delight!

Junky Vagabond said...

Cutest. Kids. Evah. Happy Birthday Emmy!

Upscale Downhome said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful baby girl!

Jane Craske said...

She's adorable and so is the doll house C:

It's funny all the things you rehearse in your head but you never think of how to tell your spouse that they are going to be a Daddy.

It's exciting and scary and....

Allison said...

What a sweet and heartfelt post. It brought tears to my eyes. It was beautiful Cassie. Happy Birthday to Emmy! You are an amazing Mom...and a wonderful family. Love the photos. Each one is cute. I especially like the one of Emmy in her peach sleeveless blouse...that expression is adorable! The hat and sunglasses is darling, too. The bond between Sawyer and Emmy really shines through in the photos. Very special. Have a fun day celebrating!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday, Emmy!

Beautiful post, Cassie; your message to Emmy at the end...lump in the throat! I remember when you originally posted the photo of Emmy in front of the Christmas tree and you can tell she's a joyful, spunky kiddo from that picture.

So glad y'all had a great day together!

pam {simple details} said...

Happy happy day, Emmy! By the time you're grown up and reading these I'm sure you'll realize you hit the jackpot when it comes to moms, and I'm sure you will have heard it countless times that your sweet smile lights up the room!

Restyled Vintage said...

made my eyes leak a bit too ;) So weet!

Happy Birthday, Emmy!

xx Karen

Restyled Vintage said...

argh sweet not weet, lol! Can't see the keyboard for the tears ;)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Stop making me cry!! :) So glad she loved it, as I knew she would. Happy Birthday Emmy!

Lady Courtney said...

Awww...you made me cry. Children are so very special, and all these memories will be with you forever, and fortunately you will have this blog to remember many, many years from now. Happy Birthday Emmy!!! donna :)

chateau chic said...

Your children are so cute, and what a sweet post about your darling little girl. Happy Birthday to Emmy!!
Mary Alice

Kelly said...

AWWW I loved this! I actually for-real teared up at that pic of toddler Sawyer looking over his baby sister. I felt exactly the same way about wanting another boy, and then being so SO SO thankful for a little girl. Sweet Emmy is so beautiful!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Happy Birthday Emmy! What a sweet post - she's a doll!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

One of my favorite posts from you! She is beautiful but no surprise. You have such a beautiful heart and those words showed me even more of the sweetness. You made me cry. Such a truth in the words you write. We love our children so much. Years from now she may not remember the gift but the memories and your love will always shine through. One lucky little girl!

Holly Browning said...

A doll house with accent walls and everything? A dream come true gift. Emmy is sooooo cute! Happy day to her.

Shannon Fox said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. She is growing into a real beauty. So many cute pictures. I can imagine it was hard to pick!! Enjoy your family. You are such a good mom :)

Hugs!

Ali Richardson said...

Awww, such a sweet post. Totally made me cry. That first picture of that adorable chubby baby had me smiling from ear to ear. Happy bday sweet Emmy!!! xoxo

Shelly Andrade said...

Oh those eyes ~ PRICELESS!!!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

Such a fantastic post! I hope Emmy's day was perfect!

Angela

Catherine said...

She's so adorable Cassie, I love that you shared all those photos, and I especially love that message at the bottom <3

michelle b @ every little thing inspired said...

Goodness the last line brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat!!! Happy bday to Emmy, your very special surprise!!! (Our emmie was a special surprise too!) thanks for coming by my sorely neglected blog- you are one awesome lady! I chuckled with the brass comment and how people have suggested painting it black ;) Embrace it! Xo

Md Rajon said...

yhh