Thursday, January 31, 2013

New (for now) Sofa Table & Winter Mantle

Happy Thursday!  It's January 31, which means two things.  First, it's the last day of the first month of the year.  And secondly, Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad!!!!!  37 years and going strong! :)

Yesterday we had day two of Spring weather, so I spent a couple hours tidying up the garage.  When it's really cold and I work in there, I rush out as soon as I am done, leaving behind my mess.... It was driving me bonkers, but it was too cold for me to want to spend time in there cleaning!  Finally it was warm, though rainy, so I had at it!  Glad it's done, and now it's going to be cold again, so I can start the cycle all over again. ;)  I also spent a couple hours in the morning volunteering in Emmy's class, so all in all it was a productive day around here!

Anyhow I wanted to share with you a new to us sofa table I purchased off craigslist.  I had been looking for one for a while and needed very specific dimensions to fit our narrow space, but we really needed one because we need a place to put lamps.  The living room has no overhead lights, and had only one lamp on the desk.

Now, forgive me because I forgot to take a before picture, but it had the classic traditional hardware and golden oak finish.  I removed the hardware and filled the holes with Wunderfil, which is my absolute favorite wood filler.  I find it to give the smoothest finish.  I filled the holes, let it dry, sanded, and repeated one more time.

Once that was done, I gave it a good sanding all over, and then applied 3 coats of my go-to black paint, General Finishes Lamp Black from Rockler.  Once it was dry, I distressed it by hand on the edges and legs, and applied a coat of Minwax wipe-on poly in satin.  I finally added some new hardware, some antiqued brass ring pulls I had on hand.  Here is how the table looked in my driveway, and I took pictures out there because it's hard to get a shot where it is placed behind our sofa!


And here it is in the living room...

I am working with the 50mm lens because I have not been able to find a replacement for my kit lens and am deciding if it's worth it just to buy a new camera so I can have the kit lens again.  Does anyone know where I can order just the kit lens?  I can't seem to find it!  It's the canon rebel and it's the 18-35mm lens.  Thanks!

Also below, you can see my lamp... it's a vintage white owl lamp and I still need to find a shade, so disregard that. :)  And does anyone have any fabulous tricks for hiding the cord?

As you can see above, I had to set my lamp on a stack of thick books to get it to the right height.  So, after all, this table much lower than I really want.  The depth and width are fabulous though!  So bummed about that, so we will use it just for now, until something better comes along.

While we are in the living room I thought since it is the last day of January I would share the winter mantle I have had for the last month.  It's actually already been changed to Valentine's, but there's always time in February to share that! ;)  Maybe tomorrow?

I went with whites and silvers, and added s splash of color with my awesome new tassel garland from Ooh La La.  Ali custom made it in these colors for me and I love it!  I especially love it paired with the white pom pom one she made me last year!  (Her tassel garlands are only $9 by the way, and super cute!)

Aaaah, I love these guys...

The left side of the mantle features mercury glass candlesticks (a generous gift from my friend, Allison), a silver snowflake, and the deer you see is actually our fireplace matches.  But I thought the matches were so cute, they could stay on the mantle, too.

The right side features another candlestick, my mercury glass owl from Ali, and a white pitcher filled with silver branches.


Across the center, 4 mercury glass votives add shimmer.  These were a gift from my parents.

While we are in here, I want to show you just one more addition.  A while back, my amazingly talented friend, Dana of Make Them Wonder, painted this fawn and sent it to me.  I loved it and hung it in my living room with my vintage Baltimore street sign.  I felt like I needed one more piece to add to that space.  I had this vintage "We give excellent service" sign hiding in my closet.  It had made the move with us and I loved it but hadn't found the right space for it.  It was the perfect colors for the living room and added just the right touch, so I hung it below the other two....
I love the collected look of that little corner now!

Well, that ended up being a much wordier and more picture-filled post than I had planned. Diarrhea of the mouth.  Well, with everything going around right now, I'm glad that's the only kind I have.
Happy Thursday!

Photobucket
Sharing here: Jennifer Rizzo

Liz Marie BlogPhotobucketFurniture Feature FridaysThe Shabby Nest

43 comments:

Laura Janning said...

your creations are always so amazing. Ya know I have never bought anything off of craigs list, maybe it's time?

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the distressed black sofa table and hardware! And your mantle is lovely!

Julia Konya said...

Craigslist has been so dead over here. You always get so lucky. The color looks great on the table too.

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

The table looks fabulous... I love the black color you used! Those tables are so multi functional! - Susan

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That table turned out so beautiful. That color really looks nice. I also love your mantel decorations. :)

Andrea said...

Great score on the table. The hardware makes it chic. Cassie at Hi Sugarplum did a post on hiding cords. It looked pretty simple. You're right, the tassel garland is adorable. It's getting cold here today. There too?

Andrea said...

I love the table. I have a similar table that's waiting for a coat of paint after I decide on a color! As far as hiding cords, I've seen somewhere (I wish I could remember what site did this), but using command strips and hooks to string it along the lines of the furniture down to the floor. It may have been I heart organizing blog?????

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie you did it again! Loving that black table, the curves, the softness and the hardware just perfect.

Holly Browning said...

You do an amazing furniture redo - the distressing on the sofa table is just the right amount. The color on you mantel brick is so stunning to me. It makes all the accessories just pop.

Jenny said...

Another beautiful piece - I can see why that black paint is your go-to color - it's just right! And the pulls are the icing on the cake. Well done (as always!).

I'm hoping to start doing more furniture pieces, but I swear, I can't find anything that speaks to me that isn't completely overpriced. With spring around the corner, maybe I'll score some deals at some garage sales!

Andrea said...

Table envy for sure, it's a beauty! Our Craigslist never has this good stuff plus it's so over priced. I'm looking for deals and they are becoming harder to come by. Looking forward to garage sales again.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

You have such pretty touches in your living room! The table looks great, and I love your "collected" corner.

Laurel Stephens said...

I've had good luck buying Canon lenses on Amazon.com. Perhaps your lens can be found there. Your sofa table is beautiful.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

The sofa table is amazing. Love it! It could find a multitude of uses over time!!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your new sofa table is beautiful in black - a real classic! And who could resist pom poms and tassles! You are so good at keeping things fresh!

17 Perth said...

Hahaha. You crack me up. Your mantle is too cute...We don't have a mantle...but I am seriously considering designating one wall in our living room to creating a faux fireplace and mantle. I mean when we have kids, we *need* a place to hang stockings! And hearts for valentine's day right?

pam {simple details} said...

Oh, how I love a classic black piece with gorgeous legs and hardware ~ another inspiring redo, girlfriend!

Dear Emmeline said...

so love the coziness of your room! sorry I don't have any tips for the cord. if you wanted it flat on the floor you could get an extension cord and tape that flat on the floor.

DecorandtheDog said...

Love the table. And the nook. And the mantle. And I'm jealous of your nice weather. And I'm sorry for forgetting you on Instagram. That is all. :)

likeasaturday.com said...

It all looks beautiful! I use command hooks on the backs of table legs to hide all of our cords. If your outlet is far away, you can always run an extension cord under a rug or something like that. I'm a little OCD about cords! haha :)

Rachel

Between Blue and Yellow said...

What a perfect little sofa table! And the mantle is so pretty.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Okay my last comment disappeared again - so weird how that happens!

Canon 18-55 lens on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-II/dp/B000V5K3FG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359652835&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+18-35

Beautiful sofa table! Love the curve & color!!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Cute table. Cute lamp. Lovely mantle. Adorable collected corner. Adorable YOU! :)

I googled it quickly, and found the lens you are looking for at these two places....

$126.50 here -
http://negrielectronics.com/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-ii-lens.html?gclid=CPb74q6Pk7UCFWamPAodt3cALg#.UQqp25ifKQM

$179 here -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&sku=519475&q=1&Q=add&is=GREY&A=cart

I haven't ordered from either place before, but they appear to be reputable places

:) xo




jackie jade said...

the table looks great! i think it's fine to have the lamp on the books - like the layered look. also love your mantle - i'm ordering some pom-pom makers so i can have pom poms all over my house!
-- jackiejade.blogspot.com

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

I absolutely love the finish of that wipe on poly -- I've not tried that before, but think I'll have to give it a shot!
Thanks for sharing the sweet peeks into your home!
xo heidi

Dana Frieling said...

I'm always so impressed with how you change your mantle each season! My poor mantle only gets new clothes at Christmas.

Allison said...

Love your new sofa table. Perfect in the black and such pretty lines to that table. Your mantle looks lovely. The pom pom garland adds a fun touch! Happy Anniversary to your parents! 37 years! Good for them! I love to hear of long lasting marriages. Today would have been my parent's anniversary as well. My Mom passed away right before their 48th anniversary. I'm making dinner for my Dad and having him over tonight.

Jane Craske said...

Now that table has a great set of gams.

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Again, such a beautiful piece of furniture. Love those garlands and your collected corner is too cute. Enjoy your weekend!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Gorgeous as usual - and I want that owl lamp!!

Try getting an extension cord, and taping the cord down the leg of the table and across the floor to the outlet. It won't be dangling in mid air - less noticeable that way.
Kelly

Gail Wilson said...

I need to spend a little more time on Craigslist. great find, even though it's a little shorter than you want, it's as cute as can be!
pretty winter mantel too!
happy anniversary to your mom and dad. I beat them by about a month. 1-3-76 :)
gail

Catherine said...

I love this! The black makes this piece amazing and your distressing looks beautiful!

Natty by Design said...

I love ALL of it! You've got skill girl.

Rachelle Falcon said...

Wow the table looks amazing! What a great makeover. I love your winter mantel as well.

Kelly said...

The silver and mercury glass on the mantle is beautiful! (Ahem. I have a trick for hiding lamp cords! Hack 'em to run on batteries!) :)

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Love the sofa table! It's gorgeous!

And your winter mantel is so pretty and clean looking! I love the white decorations people whip out for winter!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

The table looks fantastic! I love that soft black. Your mantle looks really cute~I'd leave those matches out, too. :)

Muriel Bailey said...

View Along the Way has a great tutorial on how to make any lamp cordless. It may work for yours!

Ali Richardson said...

LOVE the sofat table. Perhaps you should get taller lamps instead of hacing to switch out the table?1 As far as cords go, I've heard using small command hooks under the table and down the back of the leg so you can make a straight line across the floor to the outlet. I think I saw it on Hi Sugarplum.
YAY For pom poms and tassels :) They look great!! Thanks for the shout out :)
XOXO

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

Your furniture is always fab! Love the little corner nook...the mushroom terrarium - swoon!

Bonnie said...

B & H is a great camera company to order from says Scott Kelby author of THe photoshop book for digital photographers. He calls the store Disneyland for photographers. I have ordered from Amazon before and have been pleased.

Your sofa table and mantle look great. Doesn't it feel good to be creative.

Jamie -Better With Age said...

This looks great! You did a great job ;)
Jamie ~ Better With Age

Helen Matthews said...

The table looks great. I like the distressing and the hardware.