Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Spring Fever! (A desk, a non-fever, and some randomness)

Happy Wednesday!  I hope your week has been wonderful so far!  Ours has been interesting.... Monday we had freezing rain, leaving our cars and driveway covered in a layer of ice and causing the kids to have a 2 hour delay.  Chris worked from home and I brought a new table (for behind our sofa) into the kitchen to paint since it was too cold outside.  I waited for the ice to melt a bit and then headed to the gym like a good girl, even though I just wanted to curl up with a warm cozy blanket and a cookie. :)  Monday evening Emmy started to complain of an ear ache, so we gave her some motrin and put her to bed early- she looked pale but had no fever.  Yesterday was glorious weather wise!  I went for an early morning walk with a couple girlfriends and when I returned home the kids were awake.  I started their breakfast and lunch-packing, and asked how Emmy was feeling.  She replied "all better!" enthusiastically.  So off to school they went.  I had plans to head to West Virginia to buy two dressers from a gentleman I bought one from last week (for my own bedroom, and I will share it soon, I promise!).  I hopped in the shower once the kids were on the bus, hopped out of the shower, and the school nurse called.  She told me Emerson was complaining that her tummy didn't feel good, but her ear was fine, but she looked pale and fatigued.  I cancelled my dresser appointment and headed to school.  When I arrived, I was greeted by a very alert and chipper Emmy who was all talk and giggles.  I took her home anyhow, just in case.  But she was fine.  So for her, the day ended up looking much like this:


Yep, rocking in her new headphones.  She ended up spending the day crafting, listening to music (and moving to it as you can see!), and watching Punky Brewster.  My little hooky.

Meanwhile, since it was a beautiful 65 degree January day, I busted my tail to get some furniture painted.  I thought I would share with you a desk I completed, since it was affected my the weather and my Spring fever mood!

Last week I saw an ad on craigslist for a curb alert of a free dresser right down the street from me.  That never happens!  I live in rural America, people!!!  The kids were off that day, so I loaded them into the car and headed out.  it turned out to be a sweet desk/once vanity (no mirror).  I heaved it into the trunk by myself, strapped the hatch down as best I could, and off we went.  Since it was a very short drive, I figured we would be OK.  Luckily, we and the desk made it safely back to the house!  I forgot a true before, but here is what it looked like after a good sanding.  Picture it with those classic chippendale style handles.... You know the ones.

I decided to paint it with French Linen chalk paint.  I love this color because it is similar to Paris Gray (my favorite) but slightly warmer.  It's a great neutral, and I knew I wanted to add some fun knobs that would pop against the neutral base.  I gave it two coats of paint, allowed it to dry, and then distressed it and then waxed it with a clear wax.  I tried several different knob choices, but in the end, my Spring fever won out, and I went with pansy knobs I bought on clearance from Anthropologie, oh, something like 4 years ago.  I haven't been hoarding them or anything.  I mean, I knew one day I would use them, and today was that day!

Here is the sweet desk now!  I can picture it in a teen girl's bedroom.  Or my bedroom. :)  The knobs make it fun and whimsical and allow it to not be taken so seriously.  After all, my furniture doesn't like to take itself seriously.




I kind of love it.  I was really unsure about the knobs at first, but they have grown on me.  He he.  Flowers grow.  Grow on me.  

Now for some randomness just because this is my blog and I can do what I want.  These are a couple things that have made me smile lately.

Emmy received an adorable hat and scarf from a friend for her birthday.... needless to say she adores it and I am on the hunt for the adult version!

Here is a sweet picture I came so close to buying at Goodwill for Valentine's day....

Ha ha, ok not really!  But it made me giggle.  It's a good thing Emmy wasn't with me that day because she would have wanted to buy it!  You know what they say...

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Peace out, unicorn peeps.  Have an awesome day!

Oh, and also, you can find me over at one of my all time favorite blogs today, Decor and the Dog.  Michelle so kindly asked me to share my favorite paint color I have used in my house.  I have used this color so far in 3 rooms, and most likely will use it in the kitchen as well.  Click on over to check out the post!
Photobucket

Sharing here: Jennifer Rizzo
741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_oLiz Marie BlogPhotobucketPhotobucketFurniture Feature FridaysThe Shabby Nest

47 comments:

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Cuteness all round on your blog today, Cassie! Emmy's hilarious and ilove the desk...and the unicorn saying.

Altax said...

Awesome post!!! pictures looks very cute.

Online Kids Games

Terri said...

Wow, great find! I never get lucky like this! Love the re-do!

Julia Konya said...

Man, you got some luck. I love it all around. The pulls are so sweet!

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie I love those little curvy cutouts at the base, really precious.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Glad your little munchkin knows how to get herself dismissed from school properly!! That is a life skill.
Holy moly on your free desk! Love the lines of it and it came out so pretty with the sweet knobs.
And - and! - I think you need to go right back and get that unicorn picture and wrap it up for Chris for Valentines. He will LOVVVVVE it!!!!!! :)

decorumdiyer said...

You are my kind of girl! Craigslist freebies are the best! I love the handles as well. Great job!

17 Perth said...

Bahahaha...I think I had a notebook in elementary school that was identical to that picture---and I had one with kittens and hearts to match. Emmy's hat and scarf are amazing. Glad she is feeling better! And what a deal on that free dresser! Love it!

Dana Frieling said...

I didn't learn the "sick" trick until high school. Looks like I have a kid that's smarter than me though...just used it this year for the first time in 3rd grade. Little stinker. Love the pansies and I'm thinking you have wonder woman muscles to load furniture by yourself. Who needs the gym?!

DecorandtheDog said...

Oh, Emmy. She's cute and funny. I like it.

The desk is pretty! I love the handles.

Thanks for sharing your paint today. You are seriously awesome.

Mary said...

I always feel a little better after I give myself permission to take a day off. It's like a miracle cure. Love those knobs with the French Linen color ... pretty combination.

Allison@FabRehab said...

She's adorable! Emmy, that is. That desk is amazing...and free? Lucky girl! Love the knobs!

Bliss said...

I say get the kids version if you can't find the adult hat/scarf. I mean come on, its you!

Bliss

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

Sounds like she just needed a day at home with mom ;) The dresser is awesome. French Linen is one of my favorites and the knobs are perfect for it.

Kelly said...

Those knobs are awesome. I love them...love how springy that vanity looks!

reFresh reStyle said...

Love it! Emmy is such a cutie pie :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

A free desk, yay! And those knobs are so darn cute! But Emmy is even cuter! ... The majority of the subscriptions (hundreds) in my google reader have mysteriously disappeared. Feeling a little frustrated at the moment. I'm walking away from my computer now!

Holly Browning said...

Cute desk and your daughter always looks like she is having fun. You must love having such a cute girl!

Heir and Space said...

That desk is so so so stunning. LOVE IT! Isn't it great when you find something fantastic that's been cast aside and give it a whole new life. Great job!!

Upscale Downhome said...

Isn't it awesome to have your own business where you can change your plans and take care of your little Emmy? Doesn't get better than that! Love your pansie knobs and the whole desk...its gonna sell fast.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

She's so adorable...Emmy AND the desk! Love the knobs!

Feral Turtle said...

I miss those hooky days! Wish we would of had more of em. What a sweet vanity. Looks so similar to one I have. I was going to get rid of it, but I think I might hang on to it now. Love the color and the knobs. I love pansies. Cheers.

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I need to get back in the habit of checking craigslist now that I'm back in the states. Your desk came out so great, love the knobs! And love Emmy's pics!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Pretty little desk :) and Emmy is too adorable! Dance like no one is watching, Emmy!! :) Happy Wednesday! heading over to check out your fave color now xo

Angela Santaniello said...

I had so much to say about Emmy, the furniture makeover and how much I love the floral knobs, even though I normally wouldn't go for something like that and then I went over to check out the paint list you mentioned. And...we have just repainted our living room, entry, stairway, hallway and soon dining room BM's Cloud Cover. My husband came to the paint store with me to get paint for our classroom and kitchen (BM's Gray Owl) and he ended up getting the Cloud Cover for pretty much all the other common areas of our home. Between that and pretty much repinning all your pins just know that I love your style and not in a totally creeping, now I'm stalking you and obsessed way. That's totally all I have to say today. ;) Angela

Twice Nice said...

Sing like no one is listening, dance like no one is watching...you go Emmy! Love the desk, those knobs are so cool! We're having a snow day here so off to make some form of comfort food for the kiddos!

Dear Emmeline said...

I for one love the knobs...french linen is one of my faves. looks great!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the desk and the knobs are so fun!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Awesome knobs, Emmy is adorable...
And unicorn stuff always cracks me up, recently found a weird unicorn wine opener in Target... pretty crazy

Cyndia said...

Everyone needs a day off sometimes! I used to let my kids take the occasional "mental health" day and everyone went back to school refreshed.
Great desk! Love the paint, and especially love the knobs! If you decide you don't love em, send them to me! ;-)

amber-wills said...

Oh Emmy! She's so cute! I think you should DIY that hat and scarf if you don't find in your size. We all need a mother/daughter picture in that!

pam {simple details} said...

Oh, that girl ~ cute & smart ~ you're in trouble!! You 'picked' the perfect knobs (get it?) :) You got me on the Goodwill artwork (is that what you call it?) for a minute!

Allison said...

Emmy knows how to have a good time! So funny....I guess she just needed to take a "personal" day from school. I love that desk and think the knobs are perfect for it. Adds that happy touch.

Ali Richardson said...

That Emmy is so cute!! Happy she wasn't really sick sick. LOVE that pretty desk and I think the knobs are perf. yo. sub.

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Emmy clearly knows that a party goes on while she's at school. :-D And if you find an adult hat like that, get one for me too!
xo Heidi

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

The desk looks gorgeous, I LOVE the flower knobs. I want some.
Don't you love how kids are sick but pick up remarkably onde they are home? ;). Glad she's ok

Kelly said...

That desk is almost as glorious as the unicorns. ALMOST.

Renee said...

oh my gosh! I would buy that desk for the knobs alone! They are gorgeous! (And so is the paint job) (and so is Emmy)....

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

AAAAAAHHHH Love those knobs!!!!

Gail Wilson said...

FREE? oh my gosh! how wonderful. I love it AND the knobs! so fun!!!
emmy--she gets her silliness from her mama! :)
hope she still feels okay...those things come and go it seems!
gail

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Emmy couldn't be ANY cuter! I adore the knobs on the desk too. I would have loved to have seen to lug that thing into your trunk all by yourself :D

The Bold Abode said...

Oh, I love the dresser! And, dang, I can't believe you passed up that unicorn print! I am a unicorn...and so are you.

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

That is a wonderful desk, Cassie--I love the pansies! Glad that Emmy is feeling better, too.

Good Time Charlie said...

Free, seriously free? Lucky girl. That desk is gorgeous, I love the knobs, I actually said "oooooo" out loud to myself. Love the pic of Emmy rocking out.

CathyMik said...

Hi,
Come on admit it! Didn't we all pull Emily's hooky stunt at one time or another? lol
I absolutely love the desk. And the fact it was free just adds icing to the cake. The knobs - what can I say? I collect almost all things pansy and now I'm covetting yours. :) Hmmmmm....
I've just started on the furniture painting bandwagon. (I'm a late bloomer!) It took me a long time to convince myself that wooden furniture could be painted. I have a question regarding the distressing you did on this desk. For me, it was the perfect amount - looks very realistic. How do you get just the edges (i.e. around the drawers)?
Thanks for your time.
Cathy

CathyMik said...

Hi again,
My apologies to Emmy. I got her name wrong - called her Emily. So sorry!
Cathy (again)

Ruth said...

The desk is gorgeous. Fabulous job. Your little one is too cute.
Ruth