Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Surf Blue Vintage Dresser

Happy Wednesday!  My kids are out of school again today.  We are headed to the gym as I finally joined one!  A friend of mine goes there and we walk together early in the morning.... I know she will keep me going and I her.  Sawyer came with me on Monday when I joined and wanted to know if I was heading to work.  I told him, "nope, this time I am just doing it for me.... no teaching!"  He seemed to really want me to teach again, but I am happy just being a card-bearing member this time.  :)  After that we have a playdate.  And then tonight.... bedtime on time, and I mean it! We have school tomorrow! :)

Yesterday I shared one of my all time favorite dressers- a peacock milk paint empire dresser.  To jog your memory...
I shared the whole story of how this dresser and another came to be mine, and how they came out of a house we had looked at when we were house hunting!

Here is the second dresser I scored.

The right top drawer front was off when I got it.  I used a combination of nails and gorilla glue to re-attach it, but then discovered it was slightly too big from swelling over time.  Once the glue dried, I sanded the edges to make it fit into the drawer space, and then it was fine.  I then gave it an all over light sanding and primed it with Benjamin Moore's tinted all purpose primer- the same primer I used on my own dresser, which is slightly darker than the paint (my choice on purpose!).  I gave it one coat of primer, and then one coat of Surf Blue in Aura from Benjamin Moore, again the same color as my own dresser (which is the one you see in my header).  Finally, I lightly distressed this one.... for two reasons.  I wanted it a little more lightly distressed.  And also that primed is so good that it was really hard to distress it! ;)  Finally I finished it with a coat of Golden Oak by Minwax wiped on with a rag.  I put the original hardware back on the drawers.  And here it is now!




Ah, I just love the vibrancy of this color!  So fun!  This piece will be available at our February barn sale!

And now, I am headed to the gym!

Photobucket
Sharing here: PhotobucketFurniture Feature FridaysThe Shabby NestLiz Marie Blog

38 comments:

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Gorgeous! Love the color!!

Megan said...

I just ADORE this color!! I need to find something to paint this color for a corner in my living room that is empty! I'm so happy you are gym-ing it up :) Just doing it for fun is important, haha.

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

This is one of my favorite, not to mention the piece is awesome too. This would look great in my bedroom w/my polka dot mustard color quilt

traerloves said...

Love it!!! It probably won't even make it in the barn door!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Great color, it highlights the details so nicely! Yay for gym time!

Twice Nice said...

Such a pretty color! Oh those cute little legs!

Decor & Harmony said...

This is such a perky color....very lovely Cassie!

decorumdiyer said...

Simply beautiful. I think this is my favorite of the two. I am a sucker for some saturated color! Where do you find the time?

decorumdiyer said...

Simply beautiful. I think this is my favorite of the two. I am a sucker for some saturated color! Where do you find the time?

Gail Wilson said...

very pretty dresser Cassie--it reminds me of my "mammaw's dresser". (which I refinished, cause jamie didn't want me to paint it) I just love OLD dressers! I'm happy you were able to breathe new life into both of these pieces!
gail

Julia Konya said...

Oh, I love that color, you know I do!
I'm upset that it is so cold right now and I can't paint any of the dressers that I have hoarded in my mother-in-law's barn. How do you do it in this cold weather?

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Another awesome score! Love the color. Good for you, I'm headed to the gym myself!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

It's charming and the color is perfect! Love it!

Ange said...

You always have such beautiful color choices for your pieces, I love it! Enjoy your day, sounds like a fun one!

Andrea said...

This color is the BOMB!! Wish I was the lucky one to get to take it home. Hope your loving your gym.

Andrea said...

This color is the BOMB!! Wish I was the lucky one to get to take it home. Hope your loving your gym.

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Love that color! I've been looking for a desk for Josie's room and I think this would be such a fun color for it!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love the colors you choose - you are so much more adventurous than me and I LOVE that! Such a pretty blue!

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

They are both beautiful, but that first one had me at hello. Stunning!

17 Perth said...

I want to go thrifting with you! Where on earth do you score all these great pieces! I find them, but they are what I think is expensive! Haha. Maybe I am cheap!?

Love this look too--so different from yesterdays, but would brighten up a room perfectly!
Hope you got a good workout on. :)

Kelly said...

Love, love, love this colour! I always love bright colour on old pieces - it looks great!

Susan Townsend said...

Cassie- Love it! The colors and distressing are perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Susan @ Rustic ReDiscovered

mary anne said...

I am new to your blog. I am in love with that color. It is gorgeous. You did a great job.

Rita said...

what an amazing job you did with the dresser. love the color.
had a closer look at your other dresser from your previous post and love how that turned out.it would look lovely in my home.
if i didn't live thousands miles away i'd definitely come get it!
rita

Rita said...

This one is probably one of my all time favorites of your stuff. I love that color and the size of this piece is perfect. Yes ...one of my favorites!! I'm adding this to my "wish list" of stuff I wish I can do one day ;)

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

hi Cassie -it's really lovely. so bright and happy. i love the shape of the dresser also.
Enjoy the gym. hope your kids got to school today
cheers Fiona

Allison said...

Love the color. Fun and vibrant! Beautiful job on the dresser.

Two Vintage Sisters - Robin and Pam said...

Oh how I want that empire dresser! I wish you were local for me :) An empire dresser or chest has been on my wish list for quite some time. LOVE the finish on it! Robin

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Get OUT! This is amazing. Brilliant color -- pinning this one, hoping a similar piece will come my way!
Enjoy the back to school, though you might have some weather looks like!
xo Heidi

Ali Richardson said...

Pretty!!! I love that style (& of course the color). Awesomeness as usual yo.

Barbara Hiatt said...

You are killing me with all this fabulousness! I ADORE this color Cassie! After drooling over your dresser this week as I put it in my Master Bedroom round up, now you have me convinced I need to hit the thrift store and get me a piece of furniture to work on. I'm due, and this color is calling my name!! As always, thank you for the inspiration!
Barbara at Chase the Star

Val said...

Wow - this looks great and such a fabulous color.

{northern cottage} said...

how FUN is that?????? lovely and bold and refreshing!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

And how could you not love a bright blue dresser, I mean seriously?!? And I can't believe that dude just had these babies left at his house...when I buy a house, I'm looking for one with awesome vintage furniture left in the attic (c;

Eclectically Vintage said...

LOVE the color -I did my outdoor dresser in peacock blue! I'm sure someone will snatch this baby up pretty quickly!
Kelly

DesignedByBH said...

Not to repeat what everyone else said, but I love the color! I'm actually going to pin it to my "color love" board...
But more impressive than that is that you went to the gym!!!!! Pretty sure my husband will die of shock when I finally get around to doing that! :)

Good Time Charlie said...

I am so in love with this color. Just putting the finishing touches on my link party. Featuring this! Thank you so much for sharing. -K

samaa said...

this colour is AMAZING!! So fun :)