Monday, February 25, 2013

A Washed Dresser and Some Randomness

Happy Monday!!!  I am so excited that today is Monday the 25th.  This date has been on my calendar for over a month..... I am meeting up with one of my favorite bloggers, Julia from Cuckoo 4 Design for some thrifting adventures and lunch!  I am so excited to meet Julia in person!  She has great style and seems like my kind of girl.  :)

Today I want to share with you a subtle dresser makeover, but before I do I have a couple fun photos to share with you from this weekend....

Sawyer had a basketball game this weekend, and my parents came to watch.  My dad has been teaching Sawyer how to use his camera and let him take some pictures of his teammates...



I also worked on some projects last Friday including some frames that are ready for the next barn sale, and this piece which is almost ready.  Here's a little peek.

When I saw my parents they brought me this fox pillow that was a Christmas present from my brother and his fiancee (I love saying that!).  They know me so well, don't they?  It looks PERFECT with my other pillows!  If you are interested in ordering your own or seeing what else this fun shop has to offer, check out Robin and Mould on Etsy.  By the way, the other side says "F is for Fox".  So cute!

And as I mentioned, Project Hallway plans included a gallery wall of the kids art.  I headed to Ikea yesterday to gather my frames and got busy as soon as I got home.  I was slightly excited about it!  I'm hoping to get some better pictures for you soon, but for now, here is it in our hallway!

Anyhow, that was fun with random photos.... now on to our post!

A few weeks ago I picked up this dresser from a friend of mine.

It really was in great shape, and the finish was nice, but it was just too "golden oak" for me and needed an update.  I planned on painting the body with French Linen chalk paint and keeping the drawers as they were.  I applied a coat of the paint and was devastated that after a day I could just scratch it right off.  I decided to give it a sanding and just paint it all over.  But first to remove the paint I decided a wet rag would be easier removal than scraping.  I set out to work and ended up loving the look that was achieving.  So I still sanded it lightly, and then mixed French linen paint and water and brushed on and wiped off to give the dresser an overall rustic wash.  Finally I finished it with a clear wax.

I don't think these photos show it off to well, so I grabbed a picture of it staged in the barn as I think it makes it look better.





I really love how a simple change took it from a little outdated to updated with a rustic look. And I love how sometimes, things just work out by accident!

And now off to meet Julia- YAY!
Photobucket
Sharing:
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

43 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh I hope it's just mine...but none of the pics are showing up for me! Bummer - I really want to see the dresser!! Was it ASCP that scratched off the next day? And does it not normally do that? It is finally about to hit oz and I cannot wait to try it out:-)
Have a fantastic time today Cassie!

Julia Konya said...

YAY, can't wait to meet you!
Love the fox pillow and dresser ;)

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie can't wait to see the finished dresser, love that distressing and carving detail - so gorgeous.

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Cute fox pillow, love that tall dresser

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

So simple, but makes a difference. :) And that fox pillow is too cute!

Allison@FabRehab said...

I love it. HOnestly...it looks so pretty. The gold/oak needed to be muted and you did it beautifully!!

Cathy Wall said...

Have fun with your blog friend today, sounds like a blast! Love how the dresser turned out and the fact that your bro and his fiancee can spot the perfect gift for you!

Mary said...

I'm loving project hallway ... so many great ideas!

Angela Santaniello said...

Lots of greatness in your post and I love the new dresser makeover. It totally toned down the oak.

Angela

Dana Frieling said...

Great pillow, Cassie. Hope you enjoy your day. Don't get in too much trouble with your thrifting adventures. Also, love your kiddos artwork!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Hi Cassie,have fun with your blog friend. I love that dresser, what an amazing shape and you've toned down the golden oak beautifully. I'm loving seeing all our house changes also.
Fiona xx

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I'm loving the rustic feel of the dresser (very Restoration Hardware)and the kids artwork gallery! And that fox pillow is so darn cute! Hope you have a fun day!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Love it when mistakes happen and they work out! Cute gallery wall I'm thinking of doing that in the basement with my girls paintings.

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

oh how fun - have a great day! the gallery wall is too perfect - their artwork is just precious!

Janna McCalley said...

That gallery wall is looking great!
Love how your dresser turned out too, I think I have something I may need to try your technique on, it'd be perfect!

Twice Nice said...

Love that fox pillow, and the gallery wall! The dresser turned out so very pretty. I agree with Sharon, very Restoration Hardware in style. It will sell in a flash!

pam {simple details} said...

Loving their artwork ~ the entry is shaping up to be my favorite area in your home, the personal touches are perfect! Have a great time with Julia, I just found her blog not long ago, holy moly talented girl!

Laurel Stephens said...

I have a vintage dresser with a patina of old stripped paint that I've been debating repainting. I've made my decision after seeing your similar one. With a new appreciation for it, I'll leave it as is. So nice to have a professional opinion! :)

Dear Emmeline said...

have fun with Julia today! p.s. saw your washed dresser at the barn. my kind of finish. Love how it is so perfectly weathered...very authentic!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Great ideas when the chalk paint doesn't quite work! We only had it not cover one surface so far. I am going to use the wet warm rag idea to rough it up! It will give quite a contrast to the "Contemporary" pieces in the space.
HAVE A FUN FUN LUNCH!

Gail Wilson said...

I love happy accidents Cassie! the chest of drawers turned out great. Any idea why the paint didn't stick? I've never heard of that before???
cute pillow, love the picture of Sawyer and your dad!
gail
ps have fun on your blog date! lol

Hetty said...

Great! We all have those moments but then your creativity really kicks in, don't you think? Love the dresser.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

I love that rustic "white-washed" look. So pretty! & have fun with your new friend. I'm jealous and wish I was meeting you for thrifting/lunch! :/ :) xo

17 Perth said...

Maybe you have a little photographer on your hands? :)

I love the white-washed look...I think it turned out great!
Happy Monday to you too and hope you are having a good one!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Where to start...the kids photos look so cool and the chalkboard wall is stunning. LOVE the fox pillow and it is so you. The dresser is absolutely stunning and it looks like a very well cared for antique. Nice work lady.

Ali Richardson said...

LOVE that one! Seriously! I would buy it! Love the subtle rustic washed look. Oh hey - and I love u!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

That is an amazing finish, Cassie -- a happy accident! Bet it goes quick! Hope you had a fun day of thrifting ~
xo Heidi

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

Your frames from Ikea are perfect and I love the colorful kids' artwork - I am a huge fan of displaying these. Cassie, you clearly know what you are doing when it comes to finishing/beautifying furniture - love the dresser!

DecorandtheDog said...

Wet rags for the win!!

Hope you had a fabulous time today!

Loi Thai, Tone on Tone said...

Cute pillows, Cassie! Love the fox one....great shape!! And that pretty painted dresser = divine! Love the fretwork....reminds me of Danish Neoclassical pieces.
xo
Loi

Rita said...

YES!! I love that accidents lead to a new look for a new piece of furniture and this one was spot on! Love it!

Courtney said...

Oh awesome!! I came back and pics are working for me now! its kinda like a grey wash instead of a white wash!! LOVE!! A happy accident I'd say!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

You have been a busy lady while I've been gone! Thank goodness for Instagram so I'm not totally out of touch! Love how this dresser came out by toning down the golden hues of the oak - that was so smart!
And I looooooooove how your hallway has come together Cassie! The kids' artwork gallery wall is so colorful and fun - it looks fabulous there!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Hope you had a great time yesterday. Sounds like a blast. Love the dresser and the fox pillow. :)

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

I love the kids art. They've got to feel pretty special seeing their work hanging in frames :) What a happy accident on the dresser, she looks fab!

Kelly said...

I didn't know you were getting to meet Julia in person! Not fair! *whine*

Jenna LaFevor said...

That fox pillow is tooo cute! LOVE it!

Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

Jane Craske said...

What a great update! The lines on the dresser are gorgeous.

Catherine said...

It really does look lovely Cassie - I love the wash, looks beautiful!

Good Time Charlie said...

Love the randomness. Nice lens on the camera your dad has! Love the little pillow, but I really love the look on your dresser. It looks like you cerused it, without all the effort of doing that!

PS I am in love with the chalkboard entry. I think Emma and I might do this over my kid's spring break. I have textured spray on my walls. Think bumpish. Do you have smooth walls? I have plastered walls with venetian plaster in some rooms of my house to get a smooth look, one area, I did this to a wall, painted the chalkboard, then attached the framing to the wall. IT IS SUCH A PAIN though. I am hoping you have the same walls and it worked out great.

Sabrina said...

I love the gallery wall! It's amazing how framing kid's art, makes it look so fancy! My little guy is just starting to paint\draw and right now I have a few of his "masterpieces" stuck to the wall with tape! Time to go to IKEA!

caviardreamsblog said...

I saw this dresser a few days ago when I was catching up on your posts and I haven't been able to keep it out of my mind! Such a refreshing finish, love the integrity of the wood shining through. =)

✯StaceyAnne✯@Rendition Road said...

Being the sentimental I am, I'm totally lovin' on the kids art work gallery wall. So precious & I bet they feel so proud having their artwork framed & hung so nicely. Beautiful finish on the dresser as well. I adore the soft look it has & can see it being used in so many different places.