Monday, February 11, 2013

DIY Chalk Paint Chair Pair and Nesting Tables

Happy Monday!  Hope you all had a safe and warm weekend, despite crazy snow storms.  We didn't get anything.... a teensy dusting and rain.  I would have enjoyed some snow, but I am also happy that we were safe and warm and with power!  Besides, we had too many fun plans that I didn't want foiled by snow!

Saturday started out with a Ninja birthday party, and ended with bowling with friends at a fabulous new bowling alley near us.  By fabulous, I mean they have fancy cocktails and wine that they serve you while you bowl.  Their menu also has pretty good appetizers and dinner, and all the people that work there wear black dresses or black suits.  We were fancy-bowling!  Sunday we had some friends over for lunch and conversation while all of our kids played.  All of this made for an awesome weekend, and two exhausted children!  Bedtime couldn't come soon enough last night.

Anyhow, because we have been so busy, I've got nothing new to show you.  But I have a little stock pile of projects that have not been blogged, so I am sharing one of those today.  I actually painted these pieces last July.  I found both these chairs and besting tables at yard sales last summer....



For all of these pieces, I made my own chalk paint, just like I had for these chairs.  I used Sherwin Williams Tidewater in this case, which I had left over from my ombre dresser.

I gave them two coats, lightly distressed them all, and then went over them with golden oak wax to age and protect.





I brought them over to the shop I was in at the time and the tables sold pretty quickly.  The chairs however, stuck around and didn't sell.  I eventually brought them home and stored them in my garage.  Well, when New Year's Eve rolled around, I realized we could use them for extra seating so I brought them into our living room.  After the party I thought I may as well keep them in there since the color worked and it would be extra seating when we needed it.  They sat on either side of our gallery wall for a couple weeks.



Well, then my friend Deirdre came over on Martin Luther King Day when the kids were out of school so our kids could all finally meet and play together.  Now, I need to tell you who Deirdre is.  She is the woman I met through selling my aqua sideboard.  I told you all how we met because she bought it from me and lived only a few minutes away, but I haven't told you that since then we have become good friends!  We have crafted together (She came to wine and design), and she is one of my walking buddies!  It's so funny how little things like selling a sideboard can bring people together!  Anyhow, Deirdre saw the chairs in my house and loved them.  I told her I was only keeping them in there since they hadn't sold.  Well, they found a home finally in her house!  Again, things just have a way of working out how they are meant to be.

Before I leave you for the day, I wanted to give you all a quick update on my neighbors.  A facebook page has been created for them with all fundraising event updates.  I did read the other day that they were able to salvage some keepsakes from the house that had meaning to them, so I am grateful for that.  Some of you have reached out to me and sent gift cards and checks for the Lillard Family.  I can't thank you enough for your support and caring.  Please continue to pray for this family and keep them in your hearts.

PSST- also, you can find me over at one of my most favorite reads, View Along the Way, sharing a tip on designing around the needs of my spouse!
Photobucket
Sharing here:
 

39 comments:

Courtney said...

The golden wax goes perfectly over the light aqua, love it! And I'm totally with you on how things work out how they're meant to :-)
Thoughts and prayers are still with your neighbors.

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Fabulous color, Cassie! Those little chairs were just waiting for the perfect home. :)
xo Heidi

Terri said...

Adorable...the nesting tables are my favorite! Great color!

The Far Fifty said...

I'm glad you found a new friend close by! I actually did the same thing, had coffee and a playdate with a neighbour who I met by buying a dresser from.

Julia Konya said...

I love the mint green color.
And I will keep you neighbor's in our prayers.

Cathy Wall said...

Love that those chairs found a new home and that you have made such a nice friend by sharing your talents! I will also keep you neighbors in my thoughts and prayers. Have a good week Cassie!

Allison@FabRehab said...

The chairs and tables are a perfect color! SOunds like a fun weekend!

Jenny said...

I just adore that color so much - I can't get enough of it! Once again, a great job turning something dated into something beautiful!

Lorraine Finkbeiner said...

One of my favorite shades! The color really reduces the bulky look of those chairs....guess you were meant to have them for awhile!

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

That color is so pretty - totally transformed those chairs! Hey girl - text me your address again - I have a gift card I want to send.

Ange said...

Are we surprised that I love the color you chose? Of course not and they turned out beautifully! Bonus, you made a new friend and you can have visitation rights to your chairs and sideboard. Thanks for the update on your neighbors.

MONICA LIVAS said...

Beautiful color!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Such a pretty color - totally transforms those pieces. I think those chairs just needed to find the right home! ... Fancy bowling sounds very interesting! ... Glad to hear your neighbors were able to save a few keepsakes. Just can't even imagine the loss they are feeling.

DecorandtheDog said...

It's like those chairs were meant for your house. They probably told people not to buy them because they knew where they were supposed to live. I'm a big believer in talking furniture.

I feel it may be a long day. :P

Decor & Harmony said...

Such a great color choice :) Have a great week Cassie.

Dear Emmeline said...

you'll have to hook me up with the info on that bowling alley. sounds like fun! glad the chairs found a home...if you're anything like me it drives me nuts to have extra pieces of furniture sitting around even if I like them!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That paint color is so pretty and I'm glad your chairs finally found a permanent home. It's really cool that your passion for revamping furniture has brought new friends into you life!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Chairs are hard work with all of those nooks and crannies. You did an amazing job!

Jennifer {The Chronicles of Home} said...

Oh, I love all the turned bits on the chairs. So glad they found a happy home :) And fancy bowling sounds amazing!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cassie,
Great story about how you found a new friend...you just never know. Come by and share your tables and chairs with us at my NTT party...it's up and running early today.

Blessings,
Linda

pam {simple details} said...

Wow, cute little chairs, a walking pal that likes to craft, and fancy bowling, too much fun!! Glad to hear your neighbors are being cared for by your community, they're in my prayers.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

MC and I have fallen in love with Chalk Paint! (Thanks to Pam!)
We have four dining chairs that need a lot of updating. The other day I figured we could Chalk Paint them! After reading your post, we might try your do it yourself recipe! It will take us awhile. I need to find fabric for the seats and back first!
Great Post!!!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Adorable! and that color looks so good in the living room.

Good Time Charlie said...

Thanks for the update on your neighbors.
I love that color, just love it. Looks like the beach to me.

Rita said...

Have to say the nesting tables make my heart go pitter patter! Love that color and really need to learn how to make my own chalk paint!!

Sue said...

I never would have thought you could make the chairs beautiful, but you did! The before photo was pretty bleak. The after photos were awesome. Great job!

Ali Richardson said...

I love those nesting tables and the spindles on those chairs make me so happy :) Happy you made a new friend too! Miss you sooo much!
xo

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Great paint color! & both sets are adorable!! I wanna be your walking buddy :( xoxox

Jessica Manz said...

I love these :) The color is so cute.

Dana Frieling said...

Love the color! I think it's easy to make friends with people who buy your CL items b/c there's some level of the same taste going on. Fun that you and Deirdre became friends.

Allison said...

Those chairs and tables are beautiful after you worked your magic Cassie! Love that shade of aqua. They looked pretty in your living room....glad they went to a good home. It sounds like you have made a wonderful group of new friends where you live.

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Love that color!!! I particularly love the nesting tables!

Andrea said...

It is funny how things work out, isn't it. The chairs are adorable and I'm sure they look great in her home. Still praying for your neighbors, every night.

Hetty said...

Cassie, they look great with your chalk paint re-do. What is golden oak wax? Is that a lot lighter than AS dark wax?

Brooke Larsen said...

Love everything!! AS USUAL!!!

Gail Wilson said...

the chairs are cute, but I LOVE those tables! I too love DIY chalk paint. You're so talented Cassie!
gail

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I'm kind of sad you got rid of the chairs. They looked absolutely perfect in your space. Oh well, on to the next thing, right?

Heaven's Walk said...

I love the color you chose, Cassie! I haven't yet tried making my own chalk paint, but am looking forward to it! Great job on all of your furniture, girlie!

xoxo laurie

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Hi Cassie, they turned out so well, lovely colour and so much better than the before!
Cheers Fiona