Monday, February 18, 2013

Hallway Dreaming

Happy President's Day!  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  I worked at the barn Saturday, and learned that while I was there, Sawyer was off and running and scored 3 baskets in his game!- so bummed I missed it!!!  Yesterday I began priming trim in the hallway.  Sanding and priming trim... that's how I love to spend my weekends.

So, before I get into my plans for the hallway I have some EXCITING NEWS!!!!  Well, really it's only exciting for me and maybe not for you, but I am OK with that.  Saturday when I was working at the barn I received a text that looked like this.....

And below said text, it read "Will you be my sister?"  I let out a big shriek in the barn.... customers turned my way, and I just let them know my brother got engaged and I love this girl!  Seriously, if he didn't ask her soon, I was going to ask her to marry me so she could be in our family. :)  So it seems this year I am blessed because I will be inheriting not one, but two amazing new sister in laws, as Chris' little brother is getting married in August.  I don't yet know when Dana (my brother) and Viri will get married yet, but it may very well be this year, too.  I feel so lucky.... I could not have chosen better girls to be a part of our family!

That being said, I am postponing my California trip I just announced last week since Dana and Viri live in LA, and we will have to fly our family of 4 that way instead.  We told the kids last night and also let them know that whenever it does happen, we plan to stay an extra day or two to take them to Disneyland, so we are going to have an amazing time as a family- whenever it may be!

That's what has been happening in my life.  Now let's talk about some really exciting news.... like painting trim!  Oooooh.  I mentioned last week that I had no motivation when it came to house projects lately.  Because of that, I actually wrote "Paint Hallway" all across this week on my calendar.  No more excuses!  Aside from the kitchen which needs professional help, it's the last area of the main floor I haven't worked on. Here is what I am working with; please enjoy the poor quality iphone pictures.





And this is an old photo, but you can see the wall that faces the entry, where my navy desk sits:


My plans include....
- painting the trim white (Simple White by Benjamin Moore)
- a chalkboard wall where the front door sits
- a paint update for the front door (color to be decided)
- an update for the bifold doors (was hoping to find new doors, but just measured and they are an odd size, most likely will be painted)
- replacing the guest room and bathroom interior doors as long as we can find the correct size
- painting the hallway a shade of white, most likely cloud cover
- perhaps a stencil or wallpaper behind desk
- gallery wall of kids artwork

Here are some beautiful inspiration photos.... (these are all from my pinterest board. )  Click on the image to take you to the original source, unless otherwise noted.




This one is from Georgica Home Pond, but I could not locate the photo on the blog....
GEORGICA POND Schumacher wallpaper on our entrance wall.


Horse wall made with stencils!


First Snow Day Gallery03

From Junk Garden Girl:


Now, for colors I am considering for the interior side of the front door.  This door will be framed in white molding against the chalkboard wall.

This is one of my go-to's Wedgewood gray:
Some random colors, too...

yellow...
via


Green (Original Source???)
old timey pantry (with green screen door) on interior wall

A more vibrant aqua....

Tumblr_kusge0ivhy1qzbmllo1_500_large


Orange (From George Natale)


What would you pick?  Anything not listed?  Glossy white like the trim is also an option I am considering.  What about black?

For the ugly closet doors, since I can't replace them, I am thinking something like this, from The Sweetest Digs, in the same color I choose for the front door.



All I know is that no matter what I do, step one is getting the trim painted.  So if you need me, I'll be picking fur out of my brush as I prime and paint trim.  Later.

Photobucket

40 comments:

Julia Konya said...

Congrats on the news.
Painting trim is such a task :( have fun. And you have lots of decisions to make! Love that yellow door!

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

congrats cassie, Can't wait to see the finished entryway

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Congrats to your brother and soon to be sister in law. :) Your hallway is going to look gorgeous! I love all the inspiration photos you've shared.

Renee said...

Picking fur out the brush...can relate there! WE have to paint our basement, which hasn't been painted in like 11 years! Ugh. Anyway, I like all your color choices and can't wait to see what you decide!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

oooh oooh!! congrats on fabulous additions to the family!
AND...a blank slate. You are going to make it fabulous...I just know!! Your inspiration photo's are fabulous! A dark grey or black wall perhaps somewhere?? I haven't gotten up the guts to do that yet.

Cathy Wall said...

Congrats on the exciting family news! Good SIL's are like sisters, so enjoy those relationships. Big stuff for that hallway, you go girl, I know it will be great!

Angela Santaniello said...

Congratulations on the new sisters! Love your inspiration pictures. I can't wait to see what you do.

Angela

Bella said...

Congrats to your bro and his lovely fiance! Love all the inspiration photos, especially the chalkboard/pig wall :) That and the aqua door would be dreeeeamy! hehe Then again I'm biased because I love aqua.

Dana Frieling said...

I love that she asked you to be her sister. So cute! The job ahead...I don't envy you, but this is one of those jobs where you must keep your eye on the prize.

Jenny said...

So many beautiful options! I love all of those different choices you presented, and this space has tons of potential! I have to say, I really love the light and bright front door options, and that yellow just made me happy by looking at it. :-) But the light blue is equally charming, with punches of other colors to play off of it. Can't wait to see what you do!

Gretchen said...

Congratulations on the new sisters-in-law! I love mine. I hope I get as lucky with daughters-in-law someday....your hallway plans sound fun :). well, not the part about having to paint trim, but the chalkboard wall and stencils and kids' artwork gallery. I love that wedgewood gray, but I might go with aqua to make it a little more fun and whimsical, since that seems like the feeling you're going for.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

Oh, painting trim! I feel your pain. Have you seen the patterned paint rollers? The pictures of the stencilled and hand painted walls that you posted made me think of them. There is a deer one that is really cute. http://www.etsy.com/shop/patternedpaintroller
My vote is for the orange door, cause why not? Plus, I think it would look nice with the blue desk.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh I love happy news! How great for your family! ... Love all the colors on the doors. Happy painting!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices! I really need to paint trim also...not a fun job! Congratulations to your brother and his fiance, what exciting times coming up for your family!

Starr said...

Green door. That would be so awesome.

We have orange trim throughout parts of the house. It's so slow going painting it all, but man, when it's done, isn't it great?

17 Perth said...

Yayay! Congratulations!! So super exciting! I have always loved an aqua door! The gray is pretty awesome too! Happy painting day to you!!

Bliss said...

Wish I loved all my sister in laws like that! (I've got hmm.... like 10!).

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your flat bifold doors was chalkboard on THAT! Paint, frame with trim like your inspiration photo, and instant huge organizer.

Bliss

Anne said...

Congratulations how exciting!
I can't wait to see what you do with your hall.Those inspiration photos are beautiful!
xx
Anne

Carmel @ Our Fifth House said...

Fun project!! I like the idea of an aqua door against the chalkboard wall! Congrats to you and your brother! How exciting!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I agree with the comments on having a contrast. A color that compliments the lovely, blue desk would be a good start to look.
Chalkboard wall is a genius idea!!!

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

Its clear you and your siblings have a wonderful relationship and all of you along with your spouses will create great and rich family memories through the years; you are very fortunate. I love the txt msg, "will you be my sister". On the trim painting, feel your pain Cassie ... I'm locked in a battle with tons of trim myself right now and quite honestly, I'd rather scrub toilets. Cause I know you love orange that's my vote for the front door ... you'd always greet your visitors with a big smile with an orange door. And I also have to tackle my front door after the trim, so I hope to cheat and see what you do first :)

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno said...

I'm a huge fan of colored doors and stenciled hallways! I painted our front door a light aqua color. I swooned the second I got the color on. :)

http://retroranchrenovation.blogspot.com/2012/06/bye-bye-blanco.html

http://retroranchrenovation.blogspot.com/2012/07/fos-fear-of-stenciling.html

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Yaaaaaay!!! I am SO excited for Dana and Viri (and for you - she ius the pick of the litter!!). And although your CA trip will be postponed (sigh), I totally understand and am excited for you and your sweet family!! (maybe a disneyland meet up is in order!!? :p). I love all of your hallway ideas...I can't wait to see what you decide to do! xo

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

*is
not ius

Ali Richardson said...

I had a HUGE smile on my face when I got your picture text of Viri. SO SO exciting!!!! I saw your door pic on insta and I of course am in love with your color choice. You rock! xoxoxoxo

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Good luck girlfriend, that is a hefty task! I know it will look great when you are done though, can't wait to see it!!

The Far Fifty said...

Green all the way. Congrats on the new sis!

DecorandtheDog said...

Yay new sister. Boo no solo trip.

I'm pumped to see this hallway. When you get to it. No hurry. Take your time.

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

I'm loving the Aqua, but the Wedgewood Gray is beautiful as well if you don't want such a bright pop of color (the Aqua's pretty awesome though!)

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Congrats to your family! Exciting news. From baskets to rings!! I hate painting trim, Weird I know. It is my least favorite thing to do. Can't wait to see your plans.

Kelly said...

Aww what a sweet way to tell you they are engaged. Good luck on the hallway painting! I bet it'll go much faster than you're thinking.

pam {simple details} said...

What a fun news, I'm sure the kids are beyond excited they live in CA! Ugh...reminds me I need to tackle my trim, too! Any of those pretty door colors will be a welcome distraction!

Allison said...

What a fun text that was!! Congratulations on your exciting family news. She is darling. Hope you had a good day painting your trim. That is a tedious project. Knowing you...you got it all done! I am drawn to aqua for the door.

Holly Browning said...

Does your new sister in law to be look a little bit like you? I am so glad you will have a fun friend in your family. I can NOT wait to see your foyer. I know it's going to look so awesome. How fun for you! I am so itching for a project like that. I need my own house!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Congrats on your new sis!!! If you think painting baseboards are fun..try cleaning grout at your beach condo for two days when it's beautiful outside:( I like that 1st color for your door.

Blessings,
Linda

Vintage Prairie Style said...

congrats on the great news! i love the inspiration shots for your hallway, can't wait to see the finished product!
keya

Melissa Skidmore said...

Way to go with the painting! I still have not tackled the trim that needs a coat in my house! Thanks for sharing my "Snow Day Gallery!" Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Rita said...

congrats on the new sister to be YAYYY so exciting for you!! I know how much you adore her!
And for the entry way...can't wait to see how that turns out!! :)

Good Time Charlie said...

I think motivation must be back in the air because I got a bunch done on my office yesterday. Painting trim is not exciting, but the pay off is exciting! You will be so glad you finally did it. BTW, I vote for the gorgeous yellow on the doors. Love the idea of a chalkboard wall. If I can find a wall in my house where I can make this work, I will do it. This might put Mark over the edge though. He once declared a ban on anymore chalkboards here!

Good Time Charlie said...

I totally forgot to say CONGRATS!! What a very cute way to share the news. My niece gets married in two weeks. LOVE weddings.