Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My New Bedroom Dresser & The Start of a Gallery Wall

Yesterday I shared with you a two toned dresser- one I had found through purchasing a new to me dresser for my own home.  I figured today I should show you my new dresser.

For the past year I have been living with the ombre dresser I painted a long time ago in my master closet.  It was a shame to put it in the closet since I loved it so, but at the same time, it didn't fit with the look I was going for.  It did fit in the closet and stored my clothes though.  It hadn't been on my mind to even get a new dresser until recently.... I thought it would be "too much furniture" in the room to have it in the master bedroom, which already housed a large turquoise dresser as well as a Paris Gray armoire.   I toyed around with the idea in my head and eventually decided it would work.  I knew I wanted it to be kept in a wood finish, and I wanted sort of a beat up look.  Well, on a recent search on craigslist I came up with the perfect dresser.  A few others were interested, and the seller told me to touch base with him the day before I could come.  As luck would have it, the dresser was still available!  An antique dealer had passed it up as they thought it was older than it was (they had thought 1800's).  It's probably from the 1940'2 or 50's in reality.  It's a warm, but rich wood tone, and it was exactly what I was looking for and the perfect size as well!

Now, again I am dealing with only use of the 50mm lens at the moment (until I suck it up and order a replacement), but hopefully these pictures will convey how it sits in the room.







Did you happen to catch the bird art sitting on the dresser?  I found it for $1.50 at a thrift shop.  It's actually a wood burning someone painted, and it's in a vintage gold frame.  I thought it was so cool!  It's sitting here only temporarily but will get added to the small gallery wall I have started in the room.

Yes, I know most people plan gallery walls, collecting their art and then creating a layout using cardboard or newspaper cut to the size of their art to get an idea of how they want it.  Not this girl.  I like to just start hanging stuff on the wall, and adding as I go.  So for now, I have only 3 little pieces up there... It started with a chalkboard.  Then I added the antlers, which I bought from my fellow barn vendor Charm City Farmhouse.  Then my mother gave me this awesome antique print for Christmas!  We actually saw it at the flea market together and she told me she was buying it for a specific friend of hers, and it made sense.  I told her I wouldn't buy it for myself since she wanted it for her sweet friend.  She got me!  I was surprised when I opened it at Christmas!

So this small collection will eventually be more of a gallery wall, but we'll just see how it grows on its own.




Well, there you have it- my new dresser!  It's so nice having my clothes in a dresser that is not in a dark windowless closet!

Happy Wednesday!  I am off to the gym for a Body Step class with a friend- Have a great day!
Photobucket

36 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I LOVE the wood tone against the blue! And what a pretty piece with all it's patina and charm.
I like that pop of orange from the chair too…I've been mulling over accent colors for my room and maybe that's it! SO many colors look pretty with navy….coral, your turquoise dresser, even spring green. How to choose. I like the beginnings of your gallery wall by the way….and your approach to collecting and adding to it over time!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Oh yes...the warm wood with the blue wall is awesome!!

Ange said...

A nice wood dresser looks fabulous in your bedroom and really adds some warmth to the space. And that is totally how I would do a gallery wall, a little at a time. I tried doing the cutting out all the shapes on wrapping paper idea and I hated it for myself. Now where is the ombre dresser?

decorumdiyer said...

Very nice dresser. Your wall color is gorgeous. I am happy to see that I am not the only one that gravitates towards darker colors on the walls. Also, I couldn't help but notice the lovely upholstered cane chair in the corner - very much my style. Thanks for sharing!

Janel from NellieBellie said...

It's so pretty! And I like your style of gallery wall doing...so very casual! And I bet it's going to turn out absolutely charming, as always!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Love that little dresser. Are you sure you won't cave and paint it? I like the wood tone with the blue wall. I'm the same with my gallery walls. Most recently the one going up the stairs.

Julia Konya said...

The bird art is so cute and of course I love the antlers ;)
(and dresser :) too!

Dana Frieling said...

Ditto on the comments above...navy and wood tones rock! Your antlers would fit perfectly in my house. Send them my way when you change things up. ha!

Gretchen said...

I guess everyone already said this, but navy and natural wood are such a fabulous combo. And I like your low pressure approach to gallery walls :)

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the wood dresser mixed with the painted pieces!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I LOVE it!!

Upscale Downhome said...

Can I just say that I love it all! The dresser, the print, the antlers. Love, love, love!

Dear Emmeline said...

amazing how the wood tone plays off the wood and orange tones in the chair!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

The rich brown wood looks beautiful against the dark blue wall. And I love those antlers!

Jane Craske said...

What a great space. You are really giving me the kick in the can I need to get things rolling on my end.

Tiffany said...

What a great piece! I love the color of the room.

17 Perth said...

I love it! (And I love that chair too! :)) It matches perfectly! Have fun at class!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Love it!! It looks smashing against those beautiful blue walls! Can't wait to see the gallery wall.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Perfect!
Have a good day at the gym!

Twice Nice said...

Love it in there Cassie! I think it's always nice to leave some wood tones in a room. Warms it up!

Josh Richardson said...

LOVE it! It looks perf, just like you had envisioned :) I love the little gallery beginnings too. Can't wait to watch it grow. XO

Josh Richardson said...

oops, that comment above is from me, Ali. Josh is still logged in to google for some reason.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

I love that dresser and I love that impromptu gallery wall. I have planned a gallery wall (Oliver's room) and then I decided it to wing it in the hallway. I am happy with both! Gallery walls are so fun and add so much to a space. I love your living room one, and can't wait to see this one once it's finished :) xo

Gail Wilson said...

I'm so surprised that you aren't painting it. :) Not that it needs painting.
I have some wood tones in my room as well, and I like the mixture.
Loving the gallery wall, cute hat!
gail

Megan said...

Love! And I'm pretty sure I'm coming to steal those antlers next time I'm in your area!!

pam {simple details} said...

Love the rich classic look, and the gallery wall will be perfectly 'collected!'

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I'm in love with the antlers! And the hat hanging off of them is perfect too. Pinning that image for inspiration now.

Jessica

The Far Fifty said...

Gallery walls: you're doing it right!

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

Love the dresser and your cute bird painting too!

Allison said...

The wood dresser looks really pretty in your bedroom against your blue wall. That's the way I've been woking on a "family" photo gallery wall. I started with a couple pictures/ prints and build to it from there.

Kelly said...

That wood tone is SO warm and delicious! LOVE.

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Love the wood against the blue wall. I have that chair -- let me know if you want a spare! lol

Courtney said...

your room is looking fantastic...all that vintagey goodness!! LOVE!!
I'm a hang it without planning girl too :-)

Mindy said...

I need that antler hanger on the wall!!!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

That is an AMAZING dresser, Cassie!!
Woo hoo!
xo Heidi

Katie said...

It looks great Cassie! Especially with the chair you kept in its original wood tone! It really looks nice with the wall color!