Thursday, February 21, 2013

Project Hallway: Chalkboard Wall Reveal

Hi friends!
As I told you on Monday, I had grand plans to work on the hallway this week!  I had a lengthy list, if you recall....

- painting the trim white (Simple White by Benjamin Moore)
- a chalkboard wall where the front door sits

- a paint update for the front door (color to be decided)
- an update for the bifold doors (was hoping to find new doors, but just measured and they are an odd size, most likely will be painted)
- replacing the guest room and bathroom interior doors as long as we can find the correct size
- painting the hallway a shade of white, most likely cloud cover
- perhaps a stencil or wallpaper behind desk
- gallery wall of kids artwork


I have crossed off everything that is complete so far so you can see the progress I have made this week. Today I plan to work on the pattern wall, but no promises of a reveal as I need to make sure I like it first! ;)  But I am pleased with the progress I have made so far, especially since the trim is painted and that job is the worst.  I imagine when my kids are older that will be the worst for of punishment I could bestow.  "What???  You were out drinking with your friends?  Thou shall paint the trim!"

Anyhow, let's take a look at the one wall that is 100 percent.  Remember this wall, the one our front door sits on?


Let's take a little look now.  Oh, and bear with me as I had to take some of these with my camera phone since I am still lacking the lens I need.  Luckily my phone takes decent pictures!



As you can see, I went with aqua for the door.  The color is Dutch Boy's Lake Champlain and I had plenty left over after painting my old sideboard as well as Emmy's craft closet, and a set of farm chairs.  What can I say.... I love using this color?  It's so pretty and a perfect shade of aqua.  I already had the art hanging there and I wanted to keep it there so the white frames would pop against the chalkboard.  The brass hooks were a Christmas gift from Chris.  They originally came from Anthropologie.  They are perfect for hanging the kids back packs.... before I had them I was hanging back packs from kitchen knobs!

I did have to remove the hooks to hang them again and I will tell you why in a funny little story:

One morning as I was coming down the stairs to finish getting the kids ready to head out to the bus, I saw Emmy with her back pack on, hanging on her owl hook.   Immediately, I said, "Emmy?!?!?  What are you doing???  You are going to rip the hook off the wall!!!  Please get off the hook!"  She looked at me desperately and said, "I am trying to, but Sawyer put me here and I can't get off!"  The poor kid was stuck there, at her brother's hand!  And needless to say, the anchors did not hold up to a 40 pound kindergartener trying to pull herself off the wall.  Yeah, that really happened.  Sawyer makes me prouder by the day.  Sigh.

Anyhow, moving on, let's check out the details....

"Glad You Came" for our guests benefits!  I also wanted to show you the light fixture.  Chris hates our hall lights, but I actually like them!  they are vintage-y and brass and I like them.  Now I am sure many of you don't and I am OK with that.  It's my house, after all, and I am the only one who has to really like them.  Chris' opinion only matters some of the time. ;)

And the wall with the kids newly remounted hooks...

Here's a better view of the stag hook.

I also swapped out the switchplate on the left for a "rustic brass" one from home depot.  It was actually called "rustic brass".  I thought it paired well with the hooks on the other side of the door.

Here is a look at it peeking in from the dining room.  I love how the citron candles currently on the table pair perfectly with the "Go and Do" print.  I love looking at this wall now from a chair in the dining room.... It makes me happy!


Here is a better look at the candles and their match of the word "Go"...  See how perfect?

I am thrilled that one big chunk of this project is done!  Now to work on the patterned walls, the kids art wall, and those doors.... ugh those doors!!!!

Also, I wanted to let you know that I am thrilled to once again be part of Tiffany at Living Savvy's organization tips!  (Though if she knew me in real life she might realize I may not be the best for organizational tips... ).  Anyhow, as it turns out, my tip actually has to do with chalkboard walls and how they can help you in your grocery shopping.  Check it out over here.

Happy Thursday!
Photobucket
Sharing here:
Jennifer Rizzo
The 36th AVENUE- A creative DIY blog. Sharing tons of recipes, gift ideas, crafts, home d├ęcor and home improvement easy to follow tutorials. Come visit to make the ordinary EXTRAORDINARY on a budget! www.the36thavenue Follow on Pinterest pinterest.com/...#recipes #crafts #decor 741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_oPhotobucket>Liz Marie BlogThe Shabby NestIt's OverflowingUndertheTableandDreamingMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 

74 comments:

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

Holy cow! I need a wall like that in my life like RIGHT NOW! It's stunning!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the fun chalkboard wall, the brass, and you know I love the aqua door! You knocked this one out of the ballpark.

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie that is the perfect place for a chalkboard wall, so creative, everyone can leave messages as they come and go. Looking good!

Mel Mac said...

that is awesome sauce gorgeousness!

Brilliant to use chalk paint at the front door. That blue is such a fresh and wonderful colour!

SmithShack71 said...

HaHa! I love Sawyer! ;)
Typical brother style.

Cool wall.

-Angie

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Awesome look, love the brass touches

Katie said...

Love it Cassie!! The aqua door is perfect and looks great with the chalkboard wall!! The kids' hooks are precious!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

I just said "Oh my god I love it!" out loud when I saw your wall. It's awesome!!!

~ rooms FOR rent ~ said...

WOWZA!! What a difference!! truly night and day!! It looks fab! I don't know where to start :) ok LOVE LOVE LOVE the chalkboard wall! Best shade of aqua!! and those hooks are adorable!!! Great job! and good luck with the doors.. I know how that feels :) ~Bre

Cathy Wall said...

I am laughing out loud at the "Emmy hanging on a hook" story! Maybe that should be written on your chalkboard... "Don't hang your sister from the coat hooks!" Looks fabulous Cassie, perfect for your home!

Dana Frieling said...

Looks great, friend! It's totally you! And, I bet your family will get tons of laughs throughout your lives thanks to the backpack story. So funny, but not! Congrats on enduring the worst part of your transformation.

Laura @ Our Prairie Home said...

Fantastic!!! I had been hemming and hawing over painting a large section of wall with chalk board paint. You've helped me make up my mind! I love it!!! What a great statement wall!

Stacey said...

So cute Cassie!
Makes me want to try that too!
Stacey of Embracing Change

The Far Fifty said...

Oh Sawyer, you big meanie! I'm really laughing at that btw. Love the wall, it's really "you". And love the brass. I want to strip off the paint on all our old brass doorknobs in this house. My husband think it's ugly too. They just don't get it.

bonniegetchell said...

It's so gorgeous! I love the aqua and I just love that it's such an inspiring wall as you enter and leave your home! Beautiful, beautiful!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

Janel from NellieBellie said...

Yes!!! You killed it. That wall is awesome!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love it - the door color, the chalkboard wall, the hooks and the touches of brass! It really makes your entry fun and interesting! Just tell Chris that brass is back!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

It all looks great! major improvement from before. Painting the trim is a big pain, would be a great punishment! Will have to remember that.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

SO good Cassie! I love every last bit of it. And you have such nice handwriting. :)

Julia Konya said...

LOL, poor Emmy :)
It looks beyond awesome. The aqua is one of my favorites right now too. And I love the white trim!

Julia Konya said...

LOL, poor Emmy :)
It looks beyond awesome. The aqua is one of my favorites right now too. And I love the white trim!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

How fun is that?!! The blue is so fresh! And soon you will need to put a heavier hook up high for all those boys that Sawyer will be hanging when they come to court his sister ;) It is a good skill to master at a young age so be proud. LOL.

Meredith said...

Way to go Cassie!! I love the chalkboard wall, the hooks, the art, everything! Keep up the good work, and just remember many of us have suffered down long hallways of wood trim right there with you!

DecorandtheDog said...

Oh, sibling love. Too funny.

LOVE the chalkboard wall. I've been waffling on putting one in my craft room. I think you've convinced me.

Gretchen said...

I am so in love with your hallway so far! The chalkboard wall is great, and that aqua looks wonderful with it. I'm eyeing that color for my new dresser that I need to paint now. That's an awesome story about your kids and the hooks :). And we also have a vintage brassy light fixture in our foyer that I like and DH doesn't (ours even has prisms!)

Jane Craske said...

LOVE the chalkboard paint in the front hall. I have a wall of small one's room done in it and every party that we have the adults are in there drawing.

I have put the towel bar back up in my bathroom 8 times in the past two years. Small one uses it to 'exercise'.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

It's looking great! The backpack story will be one to remember for a long time ;-)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Oh Sawyer!!!

kelly thompson said...

that looks great! I love the aqua door!

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Your front entry looks amazing Cassie!! I LOVE the chalkboard wall and your front door looks amazing! Love the color!!

And that story about Sawyer & Emmy totally cracks me up! Lol!

Bliss said...

It's looking good!

Brawn once hung his youngest sister in his paper boy bag on the wall. In the dark basement. I think she needed therapy.

Bliss

Upscale Downhome said...

You are getting so much done. Yeah for you. Can I just say that I absolutely love the wall the hooks are AMAZING!

pam {simple details} said...

Brotherly love! It is SO fabulous ~ chalkboard, door, hooks, every detail is perfect. And, you had me smiling over your coordinating citron - makes me feel normal! :)

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Wonderful .....love the entire concept! You are ingenious! The idea of a chalk board at the door is proof of that!
The entire Post was interesting and helpful!
The story about Emmy "hanging" from her hook and how she was put there priceless! I think Sawyer will be two steps ahead of you your entire life!!!! Have FUN! AND ENJOY!!!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

looks pretty amazing cassie! i LOVE chalkboard,your wall has me thinking... oh and that aqua door - lovely - it looks great!
keya

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Um. Wow! This looks absolutely amazing. I love the pop of aqua on the door with the dark walls. Just an amazing transformation already.

I also need those hooks in my life. So. Cool.

Beth said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Now I need to find a place to copy the look!! The brass and black combo are wonderful. It's so whimsical!! The blue door...perfection! Well done:)!!

Kelly said...

I love everything about this! Sharing on my facebook page!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

What a difference. You really have vision!

the cape on the corner said...

whoa whoa, this is GOOD! i love that you used this whole wall, not just a thing in a frame. this is good.

the cape on the corner said...

and i want to make lots of lists on it! sigh, i love listing.

Ashley C. said...

Looks so great! I think that chalkboards are a timeless trend in our homes too - love it!

Ali Richardson said...

It's OH SO Amazing friend. Really, I love it all and can't wait to leave you a love note on it some day :) XOXO

Rita said...

LOOKS AWESOME! and of course I've been stalking you on Instagram so I fell in love with the blue door before this post. (I feel like a cheater)

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

I love your front door, sublime colour. Love the chalkboard wall too, great contrast, I always have one in house somewhere, everyone loves drawing on them. I just did a new one a few weeks ago and a new gallery wall for the kids artwork above it. My fav wall by far.
I love your punishment idea for the future, punishment by paintbrush. Ill have to remember that one ;). And don't worry about Sawyer, little boys change when they go to school. The caring sweet boys are still in there, it just gets overtaken by the voices that tell them to torment their siblings as much as possible. *sigh*.
Alison x

Rubylicious Bespoke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole {Home for Hire} said...

love this, Cassie :) So fun + happy!

Allison@FabRehab said...

Love the drama that this adds...as well as it being functional!! Fabulous!!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

Two words: magazine worthy!

BTW, we have a mutual friend...Cheri Perniciaro. She is my neighbor. She said y'all used to work at the same gym is Mississippi.

Megan @ Apple House Revival said...

How fun! I love the hooks and that aqua really is quite perfect.

Twice Nice said...

Oh, it looks so awesome! I love the charm of the light fixture, and it fits perfectly with the other brass features on your wall. Your aqua door is gorgeous. I would not have thought to bring a color to the inside of the door, and now say "why not" and "what color for me"!!

Allison said...

It looks so great Cassie! My goodness girl...Do you ever run out of energy! You are amazing with how much you get done. I got a little laugh picturing Emmy hanging on the hook...so funny. Chris did well choosing those hooks. Love those! I also love that Imagine print!!

Dear Emmeline said...

love it all. we plan to do a chalkboard wall down in the office when we start tackling that project. my mom got me an old galvanized nesting box for Christmas and it's going to hang on the chalkboard wall to hold all of our furniture refinishing supplies!

Mary said...

I just love the chalkboard wall, and the blue door, and all the brass details. It looks amazing, Cassie.

Deanne Langford said...

Looks fabulous, I just did a chalkboard in my living room!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

It looks great, Cassie. Love the Lake Champlain aqua door too.

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

That is THE coolest entry way I've seen in a LONG time! How awesome, Cassie! It's chic and it's fun and yes, the candles do match perfectly.
Now you know where to hang your kids when they need a time out. :)

K Coake said...

Gorgeous! I never would have thought that a front door surrounded by chalkboard paint could look so nice. It sure does.
I would love if you would share this with my readers at my link party. http://www.realcoake.blogspot.com/2013/02/real-family-fun-2.html
Have a great weekend.
KC

Gail Wilson said...

ohh my gosh! it's perfectly you! I love the door color and the chalkboard.
sawyer! oh my! too funny Cassie. Poor emmy! but a great story for the rest of their lives. :)
gail

17 Perth said...

HOLY COW! CASSIE! It looks awesome! You did all that in a matter of days!? I love it!

And poor emmy--hahahaha---so funny!

Courtney said...

woohoo!! love, love it!!

Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog said...

Wow! What a transformation! I am in LOVE with the door color!
I found you at "Link Up With Me, Liz Marie". Thanks for sharing your project!

~Abby =)

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

I love it! I love how the aqua pops against the black, and the chalk board wall is just such a great idea, especially with kids!

chateau chic said...

What wonderful personality you added to your entry wall! LOVE it!!
Mary Alice

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Home run, Cassie!!! Love every bit of it!

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Hahahaha!!! I can't help but laugh about the story of Emmy being hung from the hook by her brother. Priceless! The chalk wall is so stinking awesome. I love the aqua and brass together with it. Perfect pairing :)

Pine Tree Home said...

Ok so you are kicking my butt into wanting to paint a small wall in my hallway just like this. How cute and fun is this wall!? Greatness.

Rhonda said...

Love it all, especially the aqua door! I've been thinking about painting the interior of my front door too- how do you like it?

amber-wills said...

I love this so much! Chalkboard walls are so fun. It looks amazing with that door! So much fun!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

So happy I stopped in Cassie, I love this wall! Great idea!!

Emily Thompson said...

amazing!!!Question? Is it dusty? I just made a kids table into a chalkboard table and the whole room seems dusty now :o) I came over from TT&J. Would love for you to come over and check out my blog...
Emily @ www.nap-timecreations.com

Denise Sabia said...

it looks like a completely different home! love!

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

My absolute favorite chalkboard wall ever. For real. I love the way it looks and it is perfect.

Our Little Beehive said...

I love this!! I had an apartment once with a chalkboard wall in the gorgeous entry, it was so much fun. I can't wait to do our addition so I can have a real entry with a real chalkboard wall.