Sunday, February 3, 2013

Quick Update and How You Can Help

Hi all, just popping in on this Sunday to fill you in on the tragedy that has shaken our community.  Last Friday morning, I told you about being woken by Chris around 11:45 Thursday night.  I opened my eyes to see red flashing lights in the window, and Chris proceeded to tell me about the large flames, flames so large that he thought the house on fire was actually one closer to us than it was.  By Friday morning, we learned which house it was, and sadly, it housed a family of 6- mom and dad, and 4 young girls, ages 7 months, 3, 6, and 8.  The parents were able to get out their infant and their 8 year old, but tragically, the other two girls did not make it out.  As I write this, tears fill my eyes, and I can't comprehend how this family will move on from such devastation.  And I can't even begin to put into words how horrific it is.

What I do know, is that this town is small in size and numbers, but HUGE in love, compassion, and caring for its people.  We are all pulling together to do what we can to help this family.  I wanted just to share some ways that you can help, if you are so inclined.  Gift cards are being collected, money is being raised, clothing is being donated.  All information (including sizes needed) can be found in this article from the Frederick News Post.  If you prefer to donate clothing or gift cards which are being dropped off locally, please email me at cassie8978@gmail.com for my address.  I am happy to collect those items and drop them off myself.

Yesterday we headed out in the morning.  As we returned we saw a white satin ribbon tied to our mailbox and noticed that from our house on to the cul de sac (the houses all closest to the tragedy) all had white satin ribbons.  In times like these, those small thoughtful gestures mean so much.  It fills us with a sense of solidarity.  I don't know who did that, but I want to thank them.

Thank you so much for your consideration, thoughts, and prayers for this family.

Photobucket

25 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

Words are beyond me at this moment so I will just send prayers.

Beth said...

Oh my goodness. No words for this horrific tragedy. My prayers are with that family as they try to rebuild their lives and home from a place that is beyond terrible.

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

Oh Cassie, tears filled my eyes as I read this too. I can't even imagine! We are in the process of making my two year olds room into a "big girl room" and could most likely give all the bedding and accessories for (minus the bed and dresser) if it is needed. let me know.

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Oh, my heart is breaking!! How awful! Praying for that poor family!! I cannot imagine the pain they are feeling!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Oh Cassie, such a horrific tragedy. I can't imagine the pain this family is going through. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

What a terrible tragedy...I can't even begin to imagine! Sending thoughts and prayers their way... :(

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

Oh, reading this just made me ill!!! What a horrible tragedy. I'm so heartbroken for this family and their loss. I will be praying for them as they grieve this enormous loss.

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

This is so horrible, I cannot even imagine their grief... My heart and prayers go out to them all.. - Susan

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

I cannot imagine what these parents must be going through. Thank goodness they have the love and compassion of folks like you and your neighbors.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

The loss of those little girls is just devastating. Makes everything else seem so unimportant.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

So sad. Really makes you rethink life and what is important. So sorry for the family. I only hope the find hope in their darkness. I will pray for all of you!

Restyled Vintage said...

So utterly totally tragic I can't even begin to imagine. I am so sorry for the family and those close to them, and for you too, as a mother who has to try and explain to her own children about how awful things this can and do happen :(

What got me the most was that one of the little girls was Sophie P. My daughter is Sophie Paris and we call her...Sophie P too!

hugs xoxo
Karen

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Continued prayers, Cassie -- thanks for keeping us posted.
xo Heidi

Allison said...

I have been keeping the family in my prayers all weekend. My heart goes out to them.....So tragic and I can't comprehend the grief they are going through.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

I really have no words for this kind of tragedy. Devastating. So so sad. My thoughts are with them during this horrific time, and always.

Sandy said...

No words can help this family...this is just too sad.
My prayers go out to them with hopes
they can cope through the time of deep pain that will follow.
Sandy

Ali Richardson said...

There are no words. This is so heartbreaking. Sending love nad prayers to the family and to you and your community. love u.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Absolutely heartbreaking!

Anonymous said...

As i was reading your original post about this i was heartbroken and i realized that while this was going on i was wracking my brain over something petty and dumb someone did to me
Sometimes in life we forget whats really actually important and we go through life thinking these little things are so important when theyre really not
This has made me remember that life is precious and we shouldnt be wasting it
They are all in my thoughts and ill be praying for them
<3

Andrea said...

My heart is breaking for them and their loss. I want to help in anyway I can. Please send me your address and ideas for gift cards and I will get it to you ASAP. I will continue to pray for God's grace and comfort for this family as they heal.

Rebecca said...

It's just so incredibly sad. I also want to add (since I live near Cassie) that from my understanding, they now have an overload of clothes and household supplies donated. At this point, gift cards and money are really needed.

Anna See said...

I am so very, very sorry. I heard about this tragedy from my college friend, Susan Patras. So hard to fathom. Love the idea of the white ribbons. The blue ribbons on mailboxes in our town in honor of Jack help give me strength as I drive around.

Tiffany said...

I read this last night and bawled like a baby. I have two little girls and I don't know what I would do if something happened to them. It's hard to fathom what this family is going through. I can only hope that they have a lot of loving support for what I imagine will be a tough road. I'm absolutely heartbroken for them.

Mary said...

So sad and tragic. It is wonderful that your community is rallying around this family at their time of need.

Good Time Charlie said...

I really don't know how you move on from a tragedy like this. Having a huge supportive community will definitely help this family. Life can be so hard sometimes, and things can change so horribly in an instant. I will keep them in my prayers. So, so sad. Are you excepting gift cards still? If so, can I do one online?