Monday, February 4, 2013

Wine & Design: Valentine's Banners

It's baaaaack.... Wine & Design!  If you have been reading my blog since before we moved into this house, you might remember I used to host a monthly gathering of friends called Wine & Design.  We would each arrived with a drink or food to share, and we always had a themed project though each person created their own.  Well, now that we have been here a little over a year, I have a good group of friends and a coffee group I belong to as well.  I started to ask if they would be interested and was overwhelmed by the response!  I was worried at first about fitting everyone into my dining room, but the events of last week as well as snow Saturday ended up knocking the number down quite a bit.  I decided to carry on with hosting it because I think time with girlfriends is highly important and nurtures the soul.  So 5 of us gathered around my dining table, shared drinks, shared tears, and shared laughs.  It really was what we needed.

My neighbor claims to be non-crafty so she just came and hung out with us.  Four of us each crafter our own take on a Valentine's banner.  Here's a quick peek at our creations....

Allison created this gorgeous glittery and flocked banner that reads, "love", and another like it that reads "xoxo".  She also showed us how to emboss, which was fun!


Melissa created this adorable heart and book page banner inspired by Simple As That.  Melissa is a scrapbooker and had about every shape cutter you might ever need, and was happy to share her heart shape cutter with me! 


Deirdre (who is the awesome gal from Texas that I met because she bought my old sideboard!!!!) lives on a farm.  She created this awesome banner from farm twine and feedsacks.  It says "Kiss Me" and she hung it over her bead.  We had fun coming up with all sorts of things we might put over our beds, like a banner reading... "Ugh, not tonight."

 My own banner was also inspired by Simple As That, and I created it similarly to how I did my Halloween bat bunting.  I used a sheer pale pink ribbon to connect it, and I used a funky black and cream scrapbook paper to create my hearts for a little more of a rustic look.  I also used distress ink to distress the edges.


I am already looking forward to another Wine & Design and am so glad to have it back in my life!

Photobucket
Sharing here:
Our Fifth House

36 comments:

The Far Fifty said...

Sounds like fun! I hope banners never go out of style because I love making them too!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

I'd join that party in a minute! Cute banners!

Julia Konya said...

I really really wonder where you find all the time to do your awesome projects and events. What a fun idea. Girl friend time is the best!

Megan said...

I just looooove them all, wish I lived closer I'd totally worm my way into that girl time!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Sounds like a fun night and maybe just the break everyone needed!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

What fun Cassie! Great idea !

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Sweet little banners and some girl bonding time - what could be better!

DecorandtheDog said...

I posted about craft night today too. WEIRD. Love your crafts. Very cute!!

pam {simple details} said...

Nothing better than girlfriend time, except with wine and crafts! :)

Mindy said...

Yeah! I'm loving the banners! Festive but not overdone. Perfect. I just might whip one up myself :) Thanks for the inspiration...

Dear Emmeline said...

your banner looks so pretty!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Yay for girlfriends, wine and valentines banners!!

Gretchen said...

That sounds like so much fun! and I love the way the banners turned out :)

Gretchen said...

That sounds like so much fun! and I love the way the banners turned out :)

Dana Frieling said...

Oh, that looks like fun! Nothing like getting inspired by each others' craftiness.

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

Banners are so stinkin' fun. And all of these are so stinkin' cute. :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

How fun! I have been meaning to have my neighborhood friends over for-ever and this is the perfect name for our crafty night! Sounds like so much fun and I love your banners!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Can we have virtual wine & design nights!!? I wanna play!!
Those banners are super cute and festive! I love them (especially yours ;) )

Ali Richardson said...

Oh how I love wine and design. Even if I don't drink wine. And even if I was too busy painting and only finished one Corona. Oh how I simply love crafting with you!

Allison said...

What a great evening you had. Spending time with our girlfriends is always so much fun and healthy for our souls! You all are super creative. Love all of the festive banners! It sounds like you have a wonderful community of friends and neighbors.

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

So sweet, Cassie -- I wish I had some girl friends that live around me that love to craft!
xo Heidi

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

hi Cassie -i really want to host one of these evenings with my friends also - sounds so much fun. i love your creations
cheers fiona

Twice Nice said...

Sounds like a blast!

Hetty said...

Cute banners! Fun to craft with girlfriends, you inspire each other.

Renee said...

I miss wine and design! Wish I lived closer.

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

All of those turned out so fantastic! I love it with the book page backgrounds! I just need people who would want to come over an motivate me to actually craft something (c; Food wouldn't hurt either...

Kelly said...

So fun! I need to do something like this near me!

Eclectically Vintage said...

You had me at wine! I'll pour!
Kelly

Mary said...

I need to start a Wine & Design group. I love everyone's take on the Valentine's banner.

Emily @ The Diligent One said...

I hope you haven't trademarked the name Wine and Design, because this sounds like a little get together I could REALLY get into hosting. :) What a fun evening!

Jessica Jensen said...

Found your blog via the link up. I love the book page banner, turned out great! We had the same idea in mind because I also made one. :) It makes a wonderful addition to our mantel.

jessicajensenjournal.blogspot.com

denise...on a whim said...

I can't decide which is my favorite! But I do LOVE the book page bunting!

denise...on a whim said...

I can't decide which is my favorite! But I do LOVE the book page bunting!

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

How much do I wish that I could do a Wine and Design with you! Maybe I can host one virtually :) Love the banners.

Denise Sabia said...

so funny that I was remembering your wine and designs the other day and wondering if you still had them. (I know I am commenting way late on all your posts, just catching up after the home show). I think I'll try a wine and design around here. such a great idea.
Denise

Darcy Hubbert said...

Awesome! These are so perfect for valentines! I love this banner design. Thanks for sharing!

-WestCoastFlags.com