Monday, March 25, 2013

"How I Spent My Blog Vacation" by Cassie Bustamante

Happy Monday!  Last Monday, I told you all I was worn out, exhausted from a busy work-filled weekend and I just couldn't even think clearly enough to write.   I spent the past week focusing on my family, my friends, myself, and some organizational purging.  I feel much better after taking some time off.  I thought I would share a not too wordy more picture filled glimpse of my week off....

I spent a day up in PA thrifting with my partner and friend, Sarah, and a colleague and friend from the barn, Traer.  I didn't buy this sign, but I texted it to my Texan friend. :)  I didn't find much, but enjoyed a wonderful lunch made by Traer in her adorable home!

I took Emmy and her friend to STEM night at the school, and Emmy made and enjoyed ice cream...

Emmy attended the rock star birthday party of that same friend, her little BFF Bella.  Here are the rock stars....

I organized my craft closets, which had grown messy, all on their own doing, I swear!


My biggest accomplishment was participating in my first 5k in almost two years.  I made a last minute decision, and my friends and I registered Thursday night for the Saturday event.  There were 9 hills on the course total, and we finished in just under 30 minutes.  Not too bad for just starting to run again a month ago!  I will admit I wanted to stop when I was going up hill number 9, but these two amazing ladies kept me going!  That's Deirdre on the left, who I met last fall when she purchased my aqua sideboard and has grown into a fabulous friend, and Kerry on the right, who is my gym partner and has also become a best friend!  I love these ladies!  They probably could have finished with a better time, but they didn't ditch me! ;)  Here we are, squinting in the sun after the race...

I celebrated that night with girlfriends who came over for Irish coffee and dessert.  I started the celebratory drinks before they got there....


 Yesterday my neighbor brought me this amazing table he built out of a door I found.  I had shown him the idea for the base and he knocked it out of the park!  It will get a little makeover and be good to go!

Also yesterday, I had a friend contact me and she had a ton of furniture to give me.... it was an hour away and too much for my car, so I rented a cargo van and picked it all up!  It was also the first soccer game of the season and with Chris being coach I picked up and dropped off the furniture alone (thus the heap in the driveway from me schlepping it out!!!), dropped off the uhaul, and then made it just in time to see the entire first game... Sawyer was goalie the second half and not one ball made it by my little soccer star!

By the way, that's not even all of it pictured.... I am going to be busy, that is if the weather would cooperate.  By the time you are reading this we may or may bot be snowed in!  Time will tell.

Anyhow, I enjoyed my much needed time away and appreciate all of those who sent me emails to check on me! :)  This week was what this girl's soul needed.  Love you guys!

Photobucket

45 comments:

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Hi Cassie -something must be in the air,. I had a little meltdown here on thursday night and am taking a blog break also. just a bit over it all but came down sick today so i think that was the problem.
hope you are feeling better. can't believe that load of furniture. looks amazing
Fiona xx

Julia Konya said...

I'm sooo glad you are back ;) and feeling refreshed.
Congrats again on your 5K!
Love the table!
And let me tell you, you have the best friends. Getting a truck full of all that furniture!!! That's awesome.

Andrea said...

What a week. I think it's great to take time like that to spend on things you enjoy. Great job on the 5K, the table is AMAZING and how cool is your new pile of furniture. Good thing your rested up! It snowed here yesterday too. What the heck?

Kristin Cadwallader said...

Hi, Cassie! Glad you are back and had a good break. That's an awesome time on your 5k for only training for a month! You go girl! I see great things happening with that armoire that's in that truckload. xo Kristin

Vicki Ashby said...

Hi Cassie!
I am so happy you did some fun things for yourself on your week off but I'm not sure I would call all of that rest! LOL BUT I am so glad you are back. Do you know how hard it was NOT to check on your blog everyday? I think I have an addiction. Great time on your 5K and happy for those times we all need with sweet friends. Welcome back.

Katelyn said...

I LOVE the furniture your friend gave you. Any chance you have a buffet or credenza? I'm looking for a piece for my new place!

Dana Frieling said...

Congrats on your run! Looks like a great week of friends and family. I'm glad you were able to focus on what's important, Cassie.

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Congrats! I was thinking about doing the 3 5ks I usually do this spring, but I don't want to walk in freezing weather! Have fun with the furniture--It looks great.

Lorraine Finkbeiner said...

Gee...so glad to see you RESTED during your break! LOL But, even though you were busy...it was GOOD busy! I love weeks like that...things hopping and getting stuff done! Your new table is fantastic ! It will be wonderful when you finish it, I know! And a van full of FREE furniture?? Wow! Glad you're back though!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Sounds like a good week! Taking time for yourself and getting a little perspective is a good thing! And that truck load of FREE furniture, oh my!

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

I'm so sick of snow already! We got some here too! Glad you had a good week and high five on the 5k!

Gwen said...

Sometimes we just need a break and then we can get back at it.

What a score! You are gonna be busy, girl!

We got a ton of snow...and we're almost out of catfood. Tuna? Oh, boy... I'm going to have one happy cat.

Bliss said...

That mom at the ice cream party was thinking, crap she's gonna put my picture on her blog.

So when you take time off do you take a long bath, read, and take a nap ever?

Bliss

Dear Emmeline said...

glad you took the time off you needed! looks like you got a lot accomplished. the snow's pretty here but not really on the roads. Josh took off anyway and I'm about to head out and take pics of the kiddos!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

Love the rock star picture - classic. Everybody needs some time to refresh so good for you!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

What a busy, fun week!! And rock on with the 5k girlfriend!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Sounds like a great time to rest and recharge! Can't wait to see all your new pieces. Love the base for the door-table!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I just talked to my friends on the eastern shore and they have 3 inches and counting. Good luck with that!! Congrats on the last minute 5k, that is awesome!

Michelle Scheibe said...

Way to take it easy on your week off. ;) Congrats on the 5k. You're a rock star. Stupid weather won't cooperate at all. But soon we'll be whining that it's too hot to paint. Woe is us.

Jesse Bodine said...

Holy smokes! You got a lot done in your week off!!? {note to self: must get out of my pajamas and do something productive} ;) I am so glad you had a great week off and congrats on the hilly 5K! Cannot wait to see what you do with all your fun furniture loot! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Welcome back! OMG I am so excited for you with that cargo van!!! Neat treasures!!

sarah m. dorsey said...

Wow! What a great furniture score - They are going to be gorgeous! Definitely worth renting a van!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

It's SO SO good to take a break now and then - especially with all that you juggle! Sounds like a good, refreshing week :) How exciting on all the new furniture! Woo hoo!

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

Looks like you had a great break. A few of my friends from dinner club are trying to convince me to do a 10K in May, but I'm a little scared. 5 seems a little more manageable. Looks like you'll be busy with all that furniture- good luck!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Yay for time off and feeling refreshed. Every girl needs that now and again. xoxo good job on the 5K. You rock! Love u! Stay warm and cozy!

Loi Thai, Tone on Tone said...

Hey Cassie - Congrats on that run!!! How awesome :) Can't wait to see what you do with all those pieces. And Emmy and Bella = fabulous!!! Welcome back!

May Hussein said...

Such an eventful week! I love how you got so much stuff done keeping yourself in mind too! Congrats on the 5K! :)

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Nice job with the race! I always loved the feeling of finishing! Amazing furniture haul too, looks like lots of fun ahead :)

17 Perth said...

HOLY cow...You have a lot of work to do! Haha. Love the door table. (That just sounds funny.) Glad you had a great blogcation. Congrats on your 5k. Woo woo.

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

For taking the week "Off" you sure were busy!
Can't wait to see how the door/table turns out. You will make it look like a million!
And the Race! Good Grief, what a Gal you are!

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

My posts seem to be fewer and fewer here lately... Darn life and responsibilities just get in the way sometimes! Glad you are back and feeling refreshed.

Anna See said...

sounds like a wonderful and productive week off! xo

Rita said...

wow great furinture and I did miss you but you already knew that! :)

Twice Nice said...

Way to recharge your batteries and make some fun memories. Good reminder that as much fun as a blog can be the really important stuff is the family and friends right there with us! Now, get painting cuz I can't wait to see what you do with your new table and that's a massive amount of fun in your driveway!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Welcome back! Saw the snow in Frederick on the news this a.m. and thought of you -- hope you're enjoying a fun snow day! We're back in the cold, windy, rainy stuff and I'm OVER it! We need spring for some furniture painting, don't we? ;-)
xo Heidi

Holly Browning said...

Well....that sounds super busy - still. You didn't nap every day? I love that new table - the legs - yah! More furniture to paint...good for you.

Good Time Charlie said...

So impressed at the 5K. That is not something I will ever do. My hats off to all my friends who are so self disciplined and run and race!

I can't believe you got all that free furniture! Things like that just make me so happy for a long time. Can't wait to see what you do with it all!

Ali Richardson said...

LOVE you friend. Sounds like although you were a busy bee, your much needed bloggy break did you well. XOXOXO

Allison said...

Sounds like a nice blogging break! I admire you for your 5K! Good for you! Love the photo of Emmy and her friend. So cute. What a fabulous assortment of furniture you picked up! You hit the jackpot.

amber-wills said...

You said you texted your Texas friend, but I didn't get that text ;) Glad you had a nice blog break! Glad to have you back!

Catherine said...

Nice to see you back!

What an amazing haul! All those pieces look amazing, and I love the door table.

Congrats on the run.

Gail Wilson said...

what a fabulous week for all of you! :)

whoa, you ARE going to be a busy girl.
gail

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Your week doesn't sound too restful! But it does sound like you had fun. Is your friend a picker? That looks like a great haul!

Sheila @sZinteriors said...

Congratulations on your 5K and your time away. Both... so good for the soul! Your craft space looks amazing, and lucky you on that furniture haul! What a load to schlep alone, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I got the call, too!! :-)

Eclectically Vintage said...

Glad you had an amazing week! Congrats on that 5K - I did one once with my girls and it was hard lugging my daughter (who wanted to run home) along! My other one ran ahead!
Kelly