Friday, March 8, 2013

My Kitchen: The Ugly Truth and Some Dreamy Dreams

Update: I am sharing my ideas at Carrie's awesome party!
Spice Up Your Kitchen Linky Party


Happy Friday!  What a crazy week... When I last left you we were due to get around a foot of snow.  We got maybe 7", and it was wet, heavy, and already melting!  It did grant us one snow day which we all enjoyed!  Chris and I shoveled the driveway, while Jake and the kids played in the snow with a neighbor and the neighbor's dog (he is a cute basset!)  Once Chris and I finished, Emmy and I built the snowman we've been waiting to build all season!  Finally we had enough snow, and it was the perfect snowman snow.  Here's Emmy posing with our creation...

We used peanuts for eyes, and a carrot for the nose so that when he melted, the squirrels could feast on his body parts.


I loved this storm!  The temperature was perfect, right on the cusp of freezing, so it was not too cold playing in the snow!  I actually dressed in too many layers and was sweating as I shoveled the driveway.

After coming in from the snow, we had a towel by the door to wipe up water.  We left it there, and Charlie decided it looked cozy....
Look at his face.  It's just screaming, "What?  You don't want me to get up, do you?  I'm so comfy."

Anyhow, in other news there has been progress in our kitchen makeover!  By progress, I mean we met with a contractor Monday and told him what we want to do.  Now we wait for him to come back with numbers for us.  And then step two might not come for a long time after.  We'll see.  The nice thing is that our plan includes him getting us started and doing all the things we can't do.  And then once he is done, we can take our time completing it.  I thought today I would show you where the kitchen is now and where I would like to take it....  BEWARE.  You may want to wash your eyes out with acid after seeing these photos.

Let's start with what you see when you walk in....
There is a lovely, yellow formica peninsula with bar stools left behind by the previous owners.  The stools have chew marks all over them and not from our dogs.  Gross.  The cabinets are dated, brown, the trim needs painting, and the flooring is awful.  Oh, and that corner shelf is what they used for a TV, which we will NOT have in the kitchen.


This is the wall that backs up to our dining room, which will be gone!  It is a load bearing wall though and our ductowrk travels through the top of it, so it will need support beams as well as a decorative beam to mask the vents.  My neighbor is going to build me a peninsula to fill this space, and of course we will get new stools.  The refrigerator is the only appliance that hasn't been replaced with stainless.  It will be!  This refrigerator is too small, and old, but no new models that we want will fit the current location.  The refrigerator will be moving to the wall you saw in the above picture., centered, with industrial shelving on either side of it.

As you can see, I didn't bother clearing away clutter or removing my dinner from the slow cooker for these pictures... it wasn't going to help anyhow!  The sink will be replaced with an undermount, and we are hoping our neighbor can create butcherblock countertops for us.  We plan to do open shelving all along the top, and I will paint the bottom cabinets.  These cabinets on this side on the bottom are hte only ones that will remain.

This image gives you a better look at the details on the cabinets.

And the gorgeous lighting.... will get replaced of course!  We want to do pendants over the peninsula, and recessed lighting in the ceiling, and a lantern over the sink.


Here is a look at the sideview of where the wall will be no longer!  See the light in the dining room- that is natural light!  What a difference between that room and the kitchen, in the back of the house.  I am hoping that knocking the wall down will bring in all that natural light!



So.... now, let's check out some of the places I would like to take this kitchen!  All of these images can be found on my Pinterest kitchen board.  I have copied them all from Pinterest, so just click on the image to take you to the source.  I did it this way because some of them I could not trace the original source through the pin. :(

Where the wall will eventually be gone, yet we need support and to mask our vents, I would love to do something rustic like this with rustic looking beams....
dress up a plain doorway


For the peninsula, I would also love something rustic, but I plan to paint the base, and have a butcherblock style top.  I love the look of this one.  I definitely want open shelving underneath it so more light passes through.
Kitchen in manor home is Sweden; love the island

Of course the peninsula will need stools.  I want something rather simple, and I definitely want backs as I think that is safer with kids.  I love these (and they happen to be named the Cassie stool, so clearly they are meant for me!  Though I am not sure how I feel about stools being named after me.... ha ha ha!).

Cassie Counter Stool.... it is even named for me.  i think i need them.

For the shelving which will be on either side of our refrigerator (which will house our microwave and other small appliances) I want to build something like these....

contemporary kitchen by Julie Ranee Photography; how to make this industrial shelf

So those are all the major structural changes, but of course finishes will change!

I definitely want slate tile...
slate...floor @Tara S

And I want to paint my existing lower cabinets, something like these...
LOVE the grey painted cabinets

Or these....
Love the farmhouse sink and pale blue cabinetry.



Or even these....
blue cabinets // opening shelving // kitchen


As for the open shelving, I am not yet sure on that.... perhaps something like above, perhaps white to match the trim, or perhaps something like above.  The jury's still out on that!

And I want these countertops...
open shelving



There are still many other things to consider as well.... hardware, faucet, lighting.... I am leaning towards a brass/antique brass in the lighting and hardware department, but stainless for the faucet, much like the image above, actually.

For now I have been focusing on the major things though, as those are all finishing touches.

Really, I didn't have much else to share today, and the kitchen is on my mind since we have actually met with a contractor now, so I thought I would subject you to the inner workings of my brain on kitchen.


This is your brain.
brain Stock Photo - 2470180

This is your brain on kitchen.


Any questions?
Photobucket

57 comments:

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

I have to do a "quick fix" on our kitchen this summer, but can't afford to replace anything, dammit. But I do have a plan....let's see if I can get it together!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

It's going to be lovely! Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Mrs. DeVore said...

I love all your ideas! It's going to be beautiful, I love kitchen makeovers!

Cheryl Thornton said...

I can't wait to see how your plans turn out...there is a lovely kitchen with beams in the March issue of Better Homes and Gardens that might give you some more ideas, you should check it out...I have saved it in my idea file

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

Julia Konya said...

Oh so many awesome ideas. I know exactly what you mean when "kitchen" is on your brain. I'm going through the same thing right now.
I was also looking at stools.
The colors for the bottom cabinets are beautiful. I can't wait to follow along to see what you will do.
Have a great weekend.

SmithShack71 said...

Love the brain on kitchen :)
It's gonna be good!

-Angie

Nicole said...

Your brain on "kitchen" could not be more true. We just made some major changes and I'm still floating around on a cloud of kitchen love.

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie so exciting!!!! I remember meeting with our contractor that first time too and then getting the hard-to-swallow numbers but was SOOOO worth every penny. Love all your inspiration and boy it takes a lot of guts to show those lovely BEFORE pics, I applaud you and it can only get better! Smart to have lived in your house for awhile before doing anything drastic, now you know the flow. PS - The dark blue base cabinets are so you, go for it!

Dana Frieling said...

Can't wait to watch the progress on your unicorn kitchen. You're inspiration pics are beautiful.

Andrea said...

I love all of your ideas, opening shelving, pendant lighting, opening up the wall. Your kitchen is going to be a perfect reflection of your style! So excited when get to come along for the ride.

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Snow day looks fun! Your kitchen ideas are beautiful. However, have you really looked into having slate floors. that is what we originally wanted then I did a little research.
Cold, very hard and they can chip it you drop something heavy.

Mel Mac said...

YOu have lots of great inspiration and it's going to make such a difference when you open up that wall. Looking forward to your update.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Dreaming and planning - so much fun! And it looks like you have a nice space to work with - so much potential. Your new kitchen will be amazing!

Andrea said...

I love seeing kitchen remodels !!!! I can totally see the rustic beams, and I love the slate floors with aqua color cabinets!!!! I can't wait to see what you do!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

What fun that will be to transform your kitchen. Slate floors, as someone else said are cold as well as hard and expensive. You might want to check out some good quality vinyl that looks just like slate.

pam {simple details} said...

This is SO exciting, Cassie! Your inspiration is divine, I can't tell you how happy I was the day the walls came down and opened up our space...beyond rainbows and unicorns! :)

Jenny said...

Love the "brain on kitchen" reference - isn't it the truth? I love looking at beautiful kitchens, regardless of my current kitchen status. :-) You have some amazing ideas in that kitchen brain of yours, and I'm certain you will make your space gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you put together!

All About Vignettes said...

I love your ideas for your kitchen. I'm going to check out your Pinterest page too for more ideas. We need to bite the bullet and do our kitchen. I've painted the cabinets and changed the hardware but the configuration is so awful. I too have an ugly island. Now that my double oven has become the barely working single oven I see the death knell for my kitchen. Yea. Love the rustic direction you're taking. Can't wait to see more.

Kathy

Bliss said...

I am going to google Bliss Stools just to see if there is one named after me. Then we can start a club.

Whatever you do in the kitchen will be wonderful, but my fav? The barn beam where the wall comes out. Love that.

Bliss

Decor & Harmony said...

Dreams are free! You have big dreams I know the feeling of having an outdated kitchen....stop by my blog I posted last week my kitchen update on the cheap we spent $105.00 bucks we painted everything including the counter-tops (but not the dogs)if it wasn't nailed down it was painted LOL! Have a great weekend.

Melissa Skidmore said...

Looks like you have some amazing ideas for your kitchen! We finally got to get rid of our 20 year old linoleum and formica countertops last year! It is a fun process! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Wow, what wonderful ideas! When this room is finished it will be Grand!
We all need dreams to plan and look forward to. Life would be pretty dull without them.

17 Perth said...

Bahahaha. Freaking hilarious! (I also think that is my brain on coffee--especially when I have two cups or more!)

SO exciting about the kitchen! Love your inspiration photos! No doubt it is going to be awesome when it is finished.

And I am jealous of your snow!! Looks like so so much fun!

Gwen said...

You are so going to rock this. Opening that wall will make such a HUGE freakin' difference. I can't wait to see what you end up doing !!! I LOVE those soft blue-gray cabinets... I think they were meant for you.

Upscale Downhome said...

I love seeing the "before" pictures of how we really live! It will be fun to see your progress. I'm hoping when we sell our current house that our new house will have such a bad kitchen that I can totally gut it! I would love to do a kitchen remodel. Here's to dreams of happy and lovely kitchen spaces...

Angela Santaniello said...

Oh, wow. Ummmm. I totally can't wait to see the makeover because your ideas obviously sound awesome! Now I totally understand your comments amount saving up for a new kitchen. I wish I could totally start fresh in ours, but it will just get a facelift. ;)

Angela

Mary said...

Your ideas are amazing! It's going to be beautiful!

Cathy Wall said...

How exciting Cassie! Love where you are heading with this and the industrial touches. It would be difficult to decide what color to paint those base cabinets. I hope the estimate doesn't break the bank and that you guys are able to get started sooner than later. Loving your fun in the snow with Emmy, her cuteness just makes me smile!

Jane Craske said...

So excited to see it! Sort of an urban farmhouse vibe going on that I am a sucker for. I think our kitchen floors are about as 'loved'

Hetty said...

It will be beautiful, just take one step at the time. Did I see it right: you did not paint your kitchen chairs yet?I just finished painting similar ones-take a look at my blog!

Rita said...

Man I totally feel your pain! This is exactly why no one ever sees my bedroom pictures but one day...I tell you...one day...I will have money and time and courage to congure them all. Your kitchen really isn't bad but with your talent, it'll be Magazine ready in no time! :)

Dear Emmeline said...

lovely inspiration pics! it will be fun to see how it comes along!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Rainbows and unicorns: that's exactly were my brain is regarding kitchens and mine in particular... I can't wait to see what you'll do.

Good Time Charlie said...

What a funny way to end the post. Your kitchen will be gorgeous! Taking out that wall will make your whole downstairs feel different. I love the peacock blue cabs, I could definitely see that in your kitchen! At least you have taken the 1st step, the contractor! Can't wait to see what happens next! Btw, what did you make for dinner?

Gretchen said...

Yay--snowman! I wish the snow had made it a little (or I guess a lot) farther south, but I'm glad you got some fun snow anyway. I'm excited to see the kitchen plans come together! I love that rustic beam idea for the taken down wall. And I love the idea of painting the cabinets a fun color.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Oh it's going to be so dreamy! I can't wait to see your vision come to life! I'm so jealous ;) xo

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Oh, I like your ideas! Looking forward to following the evolution of the kitchen.

Jennifer Bridgman said...

Such fun! I love all your ideas. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Kelly said...

Hahaha! I loved so much about this post. First and foremost, you said "feast on his body parts."

ALSO. I LOVE your kitchen ideas! I can't wait to see it come together. At your usual work speed, I'm expecting an "after" post next week-ish.

And finally, "your brain on kitchen." YES!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Love the snow pics! :) We haven't had enough this year to make a snowball...
Love that you're soo excited about the kitchen.... You've done so much already, the kitchen is going to be awesome!

gail

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I love all of your ideas. I am in the same spot right now, fantasizing and trying to conceptualize a whole new kitchen. I've found a ton of inspiration ideas (cabinet colors, functional ideas, etc) in the free catalogs from Lowe's and HD in the cabinet section

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Love your inspiration pics!! And I highly recommend open shelving. We love ours and it was a great decision.

Kristin Cadwallader said...

Oh, Cassie! LOL! Love the rainbow & unicorn. I hear ya! We have been remodeling our kitchen forever. I think it is the project that will never get done. I love that first image of your dream kitchen. xo Kristin

Blondie's Journal said...

You have so many great ideas and I think you have so much going for you with the size of your kitchen, that you have two windows and that you can open it up to the dining room. Since we just redid this kitchen and the one at the lakehouse (and believe me, it took a long time to save for it and we has a million contractors give us quotes) I know your excitement and how it fills your head 24/7. In this house we have natural pine cabinets and stainless steel (more hubby's taste) and at the lake, I have open shelves and the original lower cabinets painted a green/gray. The last picture with the blue lower cabinets reminds me so much of my kitchen. You will love open shelving. I have enough for everyday white dishes and then I added a lot of vintage stuff. I wish I could have gotten wood counter tops but we ended up with silestone. We had to get six barstools that had backs and were really sturdy. They were SO expensive everywhere I looked...$200.00, 300.00 a piece. I ended up finding really classic, good stools at Overstock.com for $99.00 a piece. People ask if we got them from Pottery Barn, so check it out.

Sorry I wrote a book, Cassie, I am just so excited for you! Keep us posted! :)

I'm glad you got some snow for your kids (I think it was our big blizzard coming your way!!). And, did you get a new blog design? It's so cute!

Have a great weekend!

XO,
Jane

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

I love all your ideas, and can't wait to see them come to life. It's going to look great!

Christine@Sally,Ry,andLaLa said...

You got WAY more snow than us! we had maybe a couple of inches, and it was gone by lunch....turned to rain. Love, love, love your kitchen plans! Can't wait to see it all come to fruition! Have you looked into the ikea butcher block counter tops?

Allison said...

I love all of your ideas for your kitchen! It will be such a fun project and I know will be beautiful when you're done. We took our wall down just about a year ago when we started our kitchen and it really opened it up. It'll be fun to see what color you paint your cabinets and your open shelving will be wonderful. I'm envious of your snow!

Catherine said...

What great inspiration pictures - can;t wait to see your work.

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

My favorite part was the unicorn! ;) I think it will look amazing when you are done. Navy cabs would be great with your grey dining room and really ground the space since everything else will be light and open. I would love to help you build the industrial shelving. I see those on Pinterest all the time and want to know how easy or difficult they actually are to build. My fingers are crossed that the estimate is good!

Ali Richardson said...

LOVE it all!!! Looks like you have a pretty clear vision and I can't wait to see it all come to life. It's going to be gorgeous!!! Love u! Oh - and not that you asked, but I vote trim color for the open shelving.

Renee said...

I cannot wait to see the results! It will be gorgeous, if I know you. Wish we had snow...had to drive all the way to PA yesterday to get some...went skiing with my youngest. I think we got about 7" of rain.

Denise at PinkPostcard. said...

beautiful! I love all your inspiration pics. I know that you will make it so cool and creative, whatever you decide to do. I hope the numbers come in soon so you can stop dreaming about it and enjoy!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh Cassie, how exciting that this is getting underway!! So stinking excited for you!!! Some of our kitchen plans are so similar - like taking down the wall between the kitchen & dining room, and the butcher block countertops. Love the direction you're going with the industrial shelving and painted cabinetry!!!!!!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Such exciting plans!! Can't wait to go on the kitchen ride with you, I know it will be great!

Carrie said...

Love it Cassie! Two years ago I wrote a post just like this (but, er, mine was not as funny and awesome). And today, I'm sitting in my new kitchen. A kitchen (and a girl) can dream, you never know what will happpen. Can't wait to see the finished room! {PS- I'm going to feature this on my blog later today, thanks for linking it up to the Spice Up Your Kitchen Party)

Carrie said...

Your kitchen has such heart! Love seeing what you're going to do. You've been featured in the Spice Up Your Kitchen Awards, thanks so much for linking up Cassie!

http://makinglemonadeblog.com/kitchen-renovations-ideas-and-features

Andrea said...

I'm excited for you! I can't even wait to see it and follow along with you as your kitchen is transformed. When is it all starting?

Andrea