Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Simple Spring (?) Mantle and Musings by Emmy

As you read this we are most likely getting pummeled by snow!  We are due to get 10" or so from this crazy storm.  That being said, I thought I would share my Spring mantle because with snow outside, it seems highly appropriate, right?  Maybe it will make Spring come faster.


As you can see, I kept it super simple, and very similar to my Valentine's mantle.  I brought in that Spring feeling by adding the white bird on the left and the adorable white Duck pitcher on the right!  I found that at the thrift shop the other day.  It may end up at the barn sale in a week and a half, but I figured for now I could enjoy it filled with some pretty fresh ok almost dead flowers.

I always love to have my white pom pom garland when I keep it simple- it adds a nice touch without being too much.


The left side features some silver vintage candlesticks, white candles, and a sweet white bird.


The right side features more white candles, and of course the sweet duck, which I have named Lily for the time being.  Is't she sweet?  Quack.

So there you have it.... simple Spring mantle!

Now, just for fun, I wanted to share some of Emmy's latest writings.  She loves to write and is not afraid to just sound out words she doesn't know.

We read a little book about trees and then we talked about how trees help us and what we can do to help them.  Later that evening, she created this.....  And then we sang cumbaya.



Yesterday while she was at school I flipped through the writing journal I gave her.  We recently told the kids that we would be traveling to California (Califory, here on out in this posting) for my brother's wedding this fall, and that we would take them to Disneyland.  Clearly, the wedding is exciting for Emmy, but Disneyland might just trump it!  And apparently she really wants to hit Utah, too.

And finally, her teacher this year is a huge Jan Brett fan, and that has rubbed off on Emmy.  Emmy apparently wanted to write a letter to Jan Brett to let her know what a fan she is.

That child warms my heart so much, and I knew these musings would have the same effect on you, so I had to share.

Happy Wednesday!  If you are digging out, or getting buried at the moment, stay safe!

Photobucket

33 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Sweet mantel and musings from Emmy! How awesome to encourage her writing with a journal.

Courtney said...

so, so cute!! she's a keeper;-)
we are waiting for autumn to kick in now here...snow day sounds kinda fun methinks...(as i sit with the air con blasting!!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Love that you're encouraging her writing!! She's something else, isn't she?? Thanks for sharing, Cassie!
xo Heidi

The Far Fifty said...

aw, she's sweet. she needs her own blog!

Julia Konya said...

I'm ready for snow, bring it on! But we aren't supposed to get that much...bummer!
Her writing is just like my Lilly's So cute.
You should make a little Shutterfly book with pages of her writing and artwork. I did that for Noa when he was in Kindergarten and I just started making one for her too.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That Emmy, she's something else! So cute. I hope that storms blows off to sea and you get barely any :) Stay warm.

Dana Frieling said...

Precious, precious Emmy. Time to visit Texas, spring has sprung here! I don't think I've ever been somewhere that received 10 inches of snow at once. Sounds kind of fun!

Gwen said...

I need some spring for my mantel so our mantels can be friends...

Emmy is so fun! I LOVED seeing her thoughts...

We're getting the snow, too! Not as much as you, I think, but it's our first {and probably last} decent snow this year!

Happy Wednesday, yo.

Renee said...

Oh, adorable! It's raining here, but we hope to get some of that snow soon. Schools are closed.

Feral Turtle said...

What a cute post! Cheers.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Mantels and musings - what a sweet combination! It's funny, but even though you mix things up regularly, your home always looks like you. I could pick you out of a line-up instantly You have a very clear sense of your own style and it's pretty, warm, cozy and modern all at the same time! And I love the way you love your kids. It warms my heart! ... Have an awesome day in the snow!

pam {simple details} said...

Too adorable!! You'll love them even more when she's older! Hunker down and get cozy with your cute family!

Angela Santaniello said...

Love that duck pitcher on your mantel. And Emmy's journal is just too good. Definitely something to keep forever!

Angela

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Thanks for sharing Emmy's journal - so sweet! Hope the snow melts soon!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Emmy's journal is something to treasure for years to come. She will love seeing it when she's a Big Girl!
Lily is precious!
Spring will come, never fear!

Gail Wilson said...

precious musings from emerson. love the drawings too ;)

sweet mantle--have fun in all that snow!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

That duck pitcher is too cute! And, Emmy. So sweet. You know you're going to have to save some of those and frame them! I love how she says Disneyland over and over. Hope you're staying warm!

amber-wills said...

How cute is Emmy! Tell her we love Jan Brett over here too. ;)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

I'm on the eastern shore right now and it is crazy windy ... no snow for us yet but it's raining cats and dogs.

Rita said...

I told Ashley about Emmy yesterday on the way home after I saw that tree picture on instagram. She is too precious and has such a HUGE heart!

Allison said...

I love Emmy's writing! Adorable! I think it should be named Califory....I like that! You'll have to save those for her to look back at when she's older. The duck pitcher is darling. Perfect for your spring mantle. Hope you're doing OK with your weather back there.

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

Love that Emmy! She is so advanced for Kindergarten.

jackie jade said...

cute mantle! we got snow overnight too (not as much as you!) so i am dreaming and hoping for spring to hurry up!! i might need to add a fun pom pom garland somewhere in my house....
-- jackiejade.blogspot.com

DecorandtheDog said...

I'm adding Emmy to be pros/cons list of having children (pro, obviously). She's darling.

Cute spring mantel. Maybe I need to decorate mine to make Spring show up faster! Maybe we should all just go to Califory now!

Kelly said...

"I like all the trees." Well done, Emmy. I really like that girl.

Holly Browning said...

We used to love Jan Brett books, too Emmy! I love The Mitten.

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Nothing is better than a trip to Californy and Disney Land! Emmy is one smart girl!

Love the duck pitcher on your mantle too!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

Cute mantle. Love the journal, adorable!
Keya

Miss Charming said...

Sweet writings from your daughter. (And I just love that pom pom garland!)

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

What a cutie, I love the way she thinks. I agree, Disneyland trumps everything. I've been waiting to go since I was a little girl and am hoping to bring my kids over one day to go crazy. Hope the snow storm doesn't get too bad, I think it sounds fun but then it's still hot over here.
Alison

Lorraine Finkbeiner said...

Emmy's journal is TOO cute! I have several things saved from my kids and my grand kids that will make me laugh every time I read them! Those will get even more special over time!

Ali Richardson said...

Love the Spring mantle friend. Fresh and simple :) The pom poms look perf there as usual!
Emmy is the cutest! Love that sweet girl!

Good Time Charlie said...

This post warmed my heart! I am so behind on my blogs, but Mark has given me the night off to catch up and hide for a bit. I LOVE that duck pitcher, I want one too!

Tell Emmy I have been to Utah 100s of times, and I went to school there. I was just there for the weekend! It is absolutely one of my favorite places to visit. There is something to do outside every season of the year, and the people could not be kinder, friendlier, happier to be living in such a gorgeous state. You definitely should visit there on your way to Disneyland!

PS My oldest, Ali, loved Jan Bret too!