Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Snow Day and a French Bed

Happy Wednesday!  Monday I told you all I was back after my break, and then guess what.... we had a snow day!  The kids were home from school, and Chris works from home on Mondays so we all got to stay home together.  It was like an extra day for me to take a break and enjoy.  When I woke up, this is what it looked like out our living room window...

I shoveled our looong driveway.  A very sick part of me likes doing that task because it is exercise, and makes me feel like I deserve a glass or two of wine that evening. :)  After I shoveled, I came in and made cookies with the kids.  They love helping with these particular cookies as they get to roll the dough in the sugar.

By the end of the day, it felt so wonderful outside, just at the freezing mark and everything looked so pretty.  I rallied my friend, Kerry, and we took a nice long hilly walk.  She needed it.  Earlier that day, she had watched another friends' two girls, her own three boys, and meanwhile her dog brought home a deer carcass and puked it on her rug.  I called her and told her to let me know when her husband was home so I could get her out of that house!!!!  I also brought her some of the cookies.  Sort of a "I am sorry your dog puked deer parts on your rug, hope this cookies make your day better" gesture.

The snow melted quickly and everything was good to go for Tuesday!  And the day turned out to be beautiful.  I started my morning by finishing a Charles Wysocki puzzle I had started the day before and staying in my pajamas til 10 to do so.  After a lazy morning, I hit the gym, the grocery store, and made it home to have lunch and then paint two side tables, 3 mirrors, and the base of Travis' door table.  It as finally nice enough to paint outside and I was taking advantage of it!  I painted these two tables (part of my cargo van full) and hope to finish them by the end of the week....  And you can see what's left of the snow behind them, gone by the time I publish this!


When it was time to pick up my paints and pieces, I packed it all up, and ran in to take a shower before bus stop time, and decided my bangs needed a trim.  I am so thrifty that I even trim my own bangs to save hair cut fees.  Ok, so I am cheap.  This was my second time trimming them, and I think I did OK.  I mean, I don't need to put a hat or paper bag on my head, so we are good....

So anyhow, that is the randomness of my last two days.  A lot of you comment on how I spend my "rest time" not really resting, but doing so many things instead.  The thing is, to me, leisure time is best spent doing things I love doing with people I love.... not napping.  Live life to the fullest, right?  Ain't nobody got time for naps!

Now how about I share a quick makeover with you.  I painted this bed last fall and just forgot to show you.  Better late than never.  I found it at a yard sale for $15!  I loved the lines and thought it would be perfect for a little girl.


It was just slightly outdated and worn.  I gave it two coats of Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint, and used a wet warm rag to distress it and give it a worn look.  I finished it with a clear wax and buffet it and here it is after...






I stored it in my garage for a couple months, and then finally brought it to the barn.  It sold at that sale and went home to a little princess!

Well, I am off to Emmy's class for my volunteer day.  We are having a "strange food taste test" today, so it should be fun!  Happy Wednesday!
Photobucket

45 comments:

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie I agree with your 'resting' mentality, it actually makes us more productive in the long run! And I forgot to mention my jealously of your enormous furniture haul - you scored big time and garage sales haven't even started! PS - the bed is a beauty.

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

Jesh Cass you're like the Energizer Bunny ;) you do soo much! I love the bed.. and you did great on your bangs! - Susan

Julia Konya said...

I totally agree with you "Leisure time is best spent doing things I love doing, with people I love"...so true...fo shizzle, hahaha ;) I don't nap EVER.

That bed is so cute.

PS: I'm haircut cheap too! Went for a 12.99 trim last Friday. Not as brave as you though :)

Kathy {Pearls in Paradise} said...

You are a busy lady! Don't stop because it will keep you young! The bed looks great, so I am not surprised that it sold quickly. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Kathy
http://pearlsinparadise.blogspot.com

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Pretty bed you have here and what an awesome deal it got on it.

Blessings,
Linda

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

That's how I "rest" too, Cassie - doing a million things! (Although sometimes I catch up on blog reading too!) I can't believe how much snow you've had this year - and snow days! That picture you took of your snowy yard is gorgeous. And I can't believe you shoveled that whole long driveway!!!!! The bangs came out great!

Andrea said...

Wow, that was a lot of snow and it melted so quickly. I bet you're ready for Spring. Funny, I like to spend my free time busy also. However, I love a good nap every now and then!

Lorraine Finkbeiner said...

Well I can say positively that a dog has never puked deer parts on my rug! Think I'll pass on THAT fun experience! Sounds like a fun couple of days doing things you love!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Your days sound pretty darn awesome to me -- naps are for when we're sick or there's absolutely nothing else to do. :) That's how I roll!
Love the bed, love the bangs, can't wait to see the tables!
Rock on!
xo Heidi

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Such a fun few days! I will try to take away a bit of your shoveling cheerfulness...our driveway is really long too and I get so grumpy about the snow removal after awhile :) That bed is SO pretty, love the lines!

Kristin Cadwallader said...

I hear that! I am the same way. I look at time off, as a time to do more. I think it is a sickness...xo Kristin

traerloves.com said...

I loved that bed! There is one in my area like it, except it is a full for $30, cant decide if I want to "deal" with it or not :)

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That snow was so out of no where. I'm so glad it melted quickly. :) That stinks about your friend's dog...my dog did that with a groundhog. Your bed looks so beautiful!

Dana Frieling said...

I share your "shoveling sickness" but mine comes disguised as mowing. It burns a lot of calories pushing that heavy thing around. Shhh...don't tell our secret! ;)

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Glad the snow melted quickly, is that the bed I wanted?

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love those curves! I'd feel like a princess if I slept in that bed! ... I'm with you, relaxing just means doing the things I love instead of the things I have to do. I take maybe two naps a year. Kevin on the other hand, would take a nap everyday if he could - I don't get it! ... And the snow was beautiful, but let's hope that's the end of it!

Melissa Skidmore said...

That is some serious snow! We ended up with only a dusting! My rest sounds like yours. Doing what I love with the people I love. No naps, please! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Glad you had some time to recharge! LOVE that bed, and what a killer deal!

Rita said...

This bed came out AWESOME and that wet rag distressing gets me everytime! Love it, love it, love it!

Gretchen said...

I think cookies are the perfect thing to help one get over vomit. We could have used some of those around here last week (no deer guts, thankfully). That bed is so sweet!

Hetty said...

Sounds like a full day Cassie! The French bed is beautiful, love the easy distressing part..

Gwen said...

The snow is all gone here, too! We've got dentist appointments this afternoon and not much else! LOVE spring break, yo.

That bed is gorgeous! Perfect for a sweet little girl...

Bliss said...

I want cookies too. Our dog puked rabbit up. Under the dining room table. With company seated.

But I'll settle for a cool bed.

Bliss

Jane Craske said...

Oh! You are so teaching me to look at the lines of furniture so much more closely. Thanks C:

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

The weather has been crazy! I can almost taste those cookies...yum! The bed is beautiful, sounds like it was meant for just the right person!

Lauren said...

You are a good friend bringing cookies! I love the bed!!

Twice Nice said...

You're right, resting doesn't have to literally be taking a nap! I do like my naps some days though. ;-) Gorgeous princess bed, I'll bet some little girl is thrilled! And your poor neighbor, I'm glad she has you and your cookies after having that kind of day!

Gail Wilson said...

whoa! that was a lot of snow to be gone so quickly!

beautiful job on the bed... lucky princess!

gail

Dana McDowell said...

What a darling bed!

Erin @ His and Hers said...

Whoa! That snow is crazy! I'm happy that the snow is mostly gone from around here. That bed is adorable!

Blondie's Journal said...

You really are a busy girl, but I know you have to be when you have kids, and grab that free time to do something for yourself. Later on...much later in your life, you'll have time for naps (like me!!).

The bed came out gorgeous! I love the curves! And I can't wait to see the tables.

XO,
Jane

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You fill your days with love and it's great!
The cookies, the neighbor friend with the dog/deer episode and so forth.
The little girl's AS White bed is absolutely perfect. I can imagine it sold right away!
I think you should plan on opening Cassie's Bang Salon!

Marti said...

I see snow on the ground where you were painting outside. Oh my, you are made of sterner stuff than I! You also get a lot more done in a day. The little girl's bed sure would have made my girls happy, once upon a time.

pam {simple details} said...

Your poor friend, you're just the angel she needed! I'd love to design a room around that pretty bed. My favorite saying...you can sleep when you're dead! :)

Holly Browning said...

It was me that thought time off means NAP! You have more energy than me. Your cookies look yummy and you got a lot of snow. Ours is all gone now. Just soggy grass out there!

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

Rest is relative...depending on what causes you to relax. I'm not a napper either, not normally anyway. I'd rather decorate, garden, etc.

The bed looks lovely. It has such great lines..it will be perfect in that little girl's room. Must feel very rewarding to see your hard work pay off like that.

amber-wills said...

I really want some of those cookies, but not if it means my dog has to puke deer up in the house. Yuck!

Also I totally have times for naps! ;)

Allison said...

I really like that bed. Beautiful job Cassie. I haven't tackled painting a bed yet. Those cookies look scrumptious. You do a great job with your bangs! Hope your day went well.

Good Time Charlie said...

Super cute, love the lines on this bed. I love that you trim your own bangs! I am so cheap on the dumbest things, I think sometimes it is just because I don't feel like getting in my car to buy/do whatever it is I can get by just doing myself.....like shopping for furniture these days?

The cookies look yummy. I am with you, me time is time to do all the things I like doing, not a sleeper.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Cassie, I love that bed! You are killing me! lol

Shannon Fox said...

Stopping by to catch up on you. I hit the perfect post! I totally trim my bangs. Who has time for the salon anyhow? Glad to see you are sassy and well - Shannon

decorumdiyer said...

Girl, I don't know how you do it! Great job all around. So jealous of your $15 bed! I love seeing the projects you tackle on your blog. Good for inspiration for me.

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

I really really love you with bangs! I mean I've always loved you but the bangs make me love you more. ;)

LOVE that bed - those curves - swoon!

Jesse Bodine said...

We got a ton of snow, too and as much as I didn't want snow (all 10 inches of it!), it sure was a gorgeous snow. Our trees were covered and driving around the wooded areas around our house was breath taking. I so wanted to go on a hike with my Nikon and take it all in. I opted instead for playing in the snow with my boys and making cookies, too...which funny enough was equally satisfying and way more hilarious...;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

Kelly said...

Do they not make hallmark cards for "I am sorry your dog puked deer parts on your rug"? Save those nightstands for me! I've been looking for something identical!