Friday, March 29, 2013

Weathered Paris Gray Dining Table

Happy Friday!  Yesterday was my kids' first day of break.  Wednesday night Sawyer had a friend sleep over, and I let Emmy stay up late to watch the first hour of American Idol with me (I am a huge Angie fan, by the way- love her!), so they spent the first day of break rather lazily which is what they needed. Today the neighbors are coming over to color Easter eggs.  We did some last weekend, but we only had brown eggs from the farm, so we bought some white eggs so the colors would be more vibrant.   And tonight, I am looking forward to relaxing with a glass of wine, and one of my favorite shows, Grimm.  I've worked out hard this week, forcing myself to run hills, taking R.I.P.P.E.D. at the gym, and more, so I think I deserve  it!  And even if I don't deserve it... I am having it! ;)

And of course this weekend is Easter weekend!  Tomorrow we are headed to an Easter egg hunt at my neighbor's church, and Sunday we are headed to my parents house, because the Easter bunny always leaves lots of eggs there, too!

Today I want to share with you a table I finished last summer, and just never got to sharing. Whoops.  I brought it to the shop (when we had a space there) and it sold the very next day!  I love when that happens- it doesn't always, but it sure feels great when it does.  Anyhow, I found this dining table at my local thrift shop and loved the shape and the pedestal base and the fact that it had a leaf.


 The top had some areas that were slightly warped, so I gave the table top a sanding to smooth it out as much as possible.  Then I painted it with my favorite Annie Sloan color, Paris Gray.  I knew I wanted to give it an aged look as well, and I had used Briwax in Golden Oak before over this paint and loved the look as seen on this other pedestal table I painted:

I wanted to go for the same look, but I didn't quite get it and let me tell you why.  It was summer.  It was hot... I was working outside and my wax completely melted into liquid form.  I applied it with a rag since I thought that might be easier than the brush considering its liquid state.  But, much like water with the wet distress method, the warm liquid wax worked to distress even more and removed some paint!  At first I panicked, but then I realized I really loved the look it created!  I plan to use this method again when warm weather finally gets here.  Check out how the finish on this table compares to the previous one.





It's got a much more worn look than the previous table, but I just love how it turned out.  Come on warm weather!  I have some pieces I would like to apply this finish to! :)
Photobucket
Sharing here:
The Shabby NestFurniture Feature Fridays741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_o
Photobucket

37 comments:

Julia Konya said...

I'm always amazed how you still fit all that gym time and running into your schedule. You should treat yourself to wine more often. I do ;)

I love how the (actually both) table turned out.

Mary said...

I am having a glass of wine tonight and I didn't work out as hard as you did. :D

I love the apron on this table. It looks beautiful with the distressing you did.

Allison@FabRehab said...

So, so pretty!!! We are starting Spring Break here too...I wish my kids played as nicely as yours do!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I agree, the apron on that table really makes it special! Love the weather gray finish! ... Have a wonderful weekend! ... Fingered crossed for warmer temperatures soon!!!

Kelly said...

I'm a big Angie fan too! If she goes, it'll be all over for me. No more reason to watch. I still never vote though. :)

~ rooms FOR rent ~ said...

It looks great!! I LOVE it!! It came out so good. I love the worn in look, and I might be with you on that being my favorite chalk paint color as well. It's the perfect shade :) ~Bre

Holly Browning said...

An unbelievable transformation. You don't even know how many people have these tables in their homes in the original state...I decorate for some of them and I just 'kringe' at the ugly oak. Look how much more you notice the details with your technique. I am pinning for my clients to see. Thank you!

Kathy {Pearls in Paradise} said...

You have that magic touch Cassie! I love the finish on the table and it looks awesome with those chairs. Happy Easter!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

That is one honey of a table!! Happy Easter! :)

Bliss said...

I shall wax in the sun.

Bliss

Storywood Designs said...

Oh, I love both tables! I'm searching for a round pedestal for our breakfast area and seeing yours just makes me want one more. Love the finish on both - and love that you get 2 different looks with the same products by using a different technique.

Gwendolyn Whitfield said...

Lovely! I'm ready for summer, too, but not so I can wax!!! Bring on the heat, baby!!!

pam {simple details} said...

Ooooh, aaaah!!! Happy Easter, I think you should reward yourself and enjoy a chocolate bunny! :)

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno said...

Love both...so gorgeous. And definitely treat yourself! You 100% deserve it! :)

Gail Wilson said...

that's the challenge of doing what we do... you never know exactly what the finished project will look like.
love both tables! :)

Happy Easter!
gail

17 Perth said...

I love how the table turned out! And I feel you on the wine...Plan on drinking a glass or two tonight as well! :) (Celebrating my husband's birthday!)

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! Cannot wait to have kids to easter egg hunt!! Haha. Sounds like so much fun!

Jesse Bodine said...

It's beautiful...I have never tried Briwax and as hot as it gets here in the summer, I may have to try out your method! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

Ali Richardson said...

Pretty!!! I love this one! I wonder if you could put your container of wax in a bowl of warm water for a while to liquid it up a bit. XO
Happy Spring Break and happy Easter!

amber-wills said...

Enjoy the break with your kids! Have a great Easter!

VMG206 said...

Beautiful table! I love the detailing on the side. The paris gray was a great choice.
I'm visiting you today from the Frugal Friday Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Spring JOY Frame ~ Printable

CELIA said...


Nice work, I´d loved it! Congratulations! CĂ©lia
http://www.celiamartins.blogspot.com.br/

Dear Emmeline said...

not surprised it sold fast! gorgeous piece. nothing better than a happy accident! :)

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

So pretty :)

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Great oops turned awesome! I love the table! Do you like the Briwax better than the Annie Sloan clear wax? I am going need new wax soon and I'm wondering how they compare. Thanks so much
Susan
Homeroad.net

TheVirginiaHouse said...

Hey Cassie, Long time no comment:-)
I love how it turned out! Happy mistake! Hope you have a lovely weekend,
Jillian

Twice Nice said...

Look at how all that relief looks distressed like that?! Crazy good I tell you! Have a very Happy Easter!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Love the table! It's gorgeous!

Have a great weekend! :)

Good Time Charlie said...

Swoon!!!! That is really, really gorgeous. Don't you just love happy accidents?

I need to do my Easter Shopping including Eggs! All we have here are Brown Eggs too.

You are on fire with the workouts! I did go to Zumba today. I use to NEVER miss a Friday, NEVER! I have missed like 6 months of it. I went last week and made myself go again today. I thought I was going to die about 10 minutes into it. Somehow I made it to the end and even managed to walk uprightly out the door when I was finished. Now for next week......

Allison said...

It's beautiful Cassie! Love all of the detail on that table. Hope you and your family have a very Happy Easter!

Glamorous Mommy said...

I love how it turned out, beautiful!! Found you linked up at Tatertots and Jello :)

Fotini

Hetty said...

The table looks so chic! love the paint job Cassie.

Jacqueline said...

I love the table makeover...I probably have a few projects I never had time to share either. Have a great weekend!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

YES! A fellow Grimm lover! (c; That's on the "must watch" list for the hubby and I. And this table is *fabulous*...that finish turned out completely awesome with the more worn look, as evidenced by the fact that you couldn't keep it in the shop for long! Makes me want to find an old pedestal table and give it a whirl! Have a great Easter weekend, Cass!

sarah m. dorsey said...

Stunning!! :) Happy Easter!

Michelle Scheibe said...

Ooo,very pretty!

Hope the rest of Spring Break is great and that the Easter bunny did well!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh how I love this piece. Thanks so much for sharing, I am featuring at my party today. Happy almost weekend!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Oo, somehow I missed this but just caught it over at ReDoux!! I LOVE the way this turned out!
The chairs caught my eye, too, Cassie -- did you paint the woven seats in a checkerboard pattern?? I'd love the low-down on that, too!!
xo Heidi