Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blackbird Dresser

One of my all time favorite songs is Blackbird by the Beatles.  Of course I love their original but I also am a huge fan of Sarah McLachlan's version.  Do you know it?  Just read these lyrics....


Blackbird singing in the dead of nightTake these broken wings and learn to flyAll your lifeYou were only waiting for this moment to arise
Blackbird singing in the dead of nightTake these sunken eyes and learn to seeAll your lifeYou were only waiting for this moment to be free
Blackbird fly, blackbird flyInto the light of the dark black night
Blackbird fly, blackbird flyInto the light of the dark black night
Blackbird singing in the dead of nightTake these broken wings and learn to flyAll your lifeYou were only waiting for this moment to ariseYou were only waiting for this moment to ariseYou were only waiting for this moment to arise


I just love those lyrics.... they speak to me about so much: about letting go of your fears, and learning along your journey.  Trust yourself and cease the moment.

Ok, that's enough of me waxing poetic.  This song does actually have to do with the dresser I want to share today, because I have dubbed it "the blackbird dresser".  I purchased it from a woman I've bought from before via craigslist.  She emailed me about this one and asked me if I was interested before she posted it.  Of course I was... look at its sweet shape!



I had planned on painting it either red or pink, but when I sanded it I could see that "We've got a bleeder!"  So rather than having to prime it several times I pressed the easy button.  I painted it black!  I used my favorite lamp black from General Finishes, which I ordered through Stylish Patina.  I gave it two coats, lightly distressed it,  and then gave it a topcoat of polycrylic.  I also added some of the awesome knobs I had from Vintage Skye.  I had enough with blackbirds on them, so I went with that, thus the name!  Here it is now...
(by the way, that little dot on the top drawer is a piece of pollen.... I couldn't get a picture without pollen floating by at some point!)





This dresser was in my garage, waiting for next month's barn sale, but I had a little hole to fill so now it will be available this weekend at the Stylish Patina barn sale!

And now I am off to run with my friends, get an oil change, and finish weeding the garden.... I know, this is THE life!  But really, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Photobucket
Sharing:
741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_o
PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays

45 comments:

Beverly Pennington said...

one of my favorite songs and I bet that pretty dresser doesn't last the weekend. Hope you have a great day!

Julia Konya said...

I love that you painted it black and it looks so pretty.
Have a wonderful day doing your thing ;)

Cathy Wall said...

How do you know when you have a "bleeder?!"
I actually love this piece in black! And the song is one of my faves too, though I admit I have never heard Sarah McLachlan's rendition....

chateau chic said...

I love the lines on this taller dresser. Very chic in black and great knobs!
Mary Alice

Andrea said...

I love the dresser and the song. That was one of my favorites to listen to when my kids were little. You're life sounds a lot like mine. Simple yet full. The best kind!

Lisa said...

Absolutely adore those knobs and it looks great in black (love doing black for the very reason you mentioned!). Have a great weekend!
Lisa

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

I love that song too.
I just painted a little cupboard in beautiful black today too, but yours is gorgeous. Love those little legs and those knobs are fab. Alison x

Allison@FabRehab said...

Darn those bleeders! But, black was a fabulous choice!! Looks fantastic.

17 Perth said...

I'm really into the legs of this piece! And I'm really digging the black!

PS---love that song!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Looks so much better in black, great choice.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Now that song will be playing in my head all day, but that's a good thing! ... Love little cottage style dressers and this one is a beauty! And those knobs are just perfect!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

My kids have been singing that song non stop .jonty loves it. The dresser is great. I have some black milk paint ( miss mustard seeds typewriter from when I was in the states.) I am really looking forward. Doing something with it.
Have a good day
Fiona xx

Jaime Costiglio said...

Cassie it's so sleek in a rustic way, love that. And I'll be getting an oil change today too!

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

Ugh - the weeding never ends! Sounds like a fun day - except for the oil change - I hate dealing with car maintenance! Love those knobs on the black - and that's one of my favorite songs too!

The Far Fifty said...

Great song, great dresser! I'd love this my entry way. Please ship it right away!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Love both of the blackbirds here. The Beatles always make me think of my dad :)

pam {simple details} said...

Love the black, the song and the sweet simple life! :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cassie,
This classic black chest is go FAST...love those knobs.

Blessings,
Linda

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

It IS the life - you lucky girl!! Wish I could come weed your garden with you and chit chat.
I am a sucker for anything black and think that piece looks so great in it's dramatic transformation! And those cute knobs!!!! Adore.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Love those knobs! And it's oil change day for me too today ;-)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I think this one might be my all time favorite!

Lorraine said...

Perfect choice Cassie! Very classic! Love that song always....

Twice Nice said...

Simple, classic, but grand at the same time! Love the knobs. Have a great day!

Shari @ turnstylevogue.com said...

I love Blackbird!! I've always adored Vintage Skye's work - I need to place an order soon. Have a great run and "ordinary" day. ;)

Bliss said...

It's all about the knobs for me on this one. Details, that's what sets it above the others.

Bliss

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

What a black beauty! I don't think I'll ever tire of black furniture. Have a great day Cassie!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

ANOTHER "FROG" TURNED INTO PRINCE CHARMING!
I can't say it enough!
You amaze me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Not sure if you know this about me, but birds are sort of "my thing". Lovey love. And that song has always spoken to me too (and I LOVE the SM version. SO SO beautiful - kinda like u).
xoxox

Rita said...

This Blackbird Belle is perfect!! And I just hate bleeders but this one is actually amazing!

Gail Wilson said...

I don't know that song.....but I love that chest of drawers.

good luck with the sale. hope you got that weeding done. :)
gail

Ali Richardson said...

Pretty!! I love this one! Dang pollen, beat it yo! Haha. XOXO

Rebecca said...

Looks awesome!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

love it! love the colour, the shape and the knobs! ah if only i could be doing weeding - would you believe that we still have snow here. we are suffering from eternal winter here!
keya
ps - all your running talk is inspiring me to lace up again - i've been off since the babies but am starting to get the urge again, does muscle memory exist after 4 years...

Jesse Bodine said...

The knobs are perfect for this piece...love the contrast! Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

Taylor @ DearOlympia.com said...

Gorgeous dresser - so stately!

Gwen said...

I was always waiting for this moment to arrive...

That is just perfect, little black-bird...

Gwen said...

That looks so classy in the black! Good choice!

Catherine said...

Love the dresser Cassie - beautiful! And the song lyrics, lovely start to my morning :)

Anneke at This, That and Life said...

Why oh why have I not used this black yet? Every time you use it, I LOVE it!!!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos said...

Love this in black! And the knobs are perfect :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

AWesome finish and those knobs are amazing, Cassie! My hubs LOVES that song... I could him singing (off key) as I was reading this. :)
xo Heidi

Good Time Charlie said...

This is one of my favorites songs, Mark's too. . It has actually brought tears to my eyes when I listen to it and think about what it means. Now that dresser. Love it. ESP the knobs! That is hilarious about a "bleeder"! Hate it when that happens. I need to press the easy button more often instead of trying all sorts of band aids!

Laura said...

The pollen grain cracked me up! I just spent 20 minutes photoshopping pollen out of one of my shots. I love the dresser (and the song)!

reFresh reStyle said...

love that song. love your little black dresser!

PREM SINGH said...

Hi, Cassie!
Perfect choice. looking very nice.
Modular Kitchen designs