Thursday, April 25, 2013

Flovence (Florence-Provence) Bench and Fun on the Farm

Yesterday I had the chance to chaperone Emmy's kindergarten field trip to the farm!  We had a blast visiting with all of the animals, seeing pig races, milking the cows, and more!  Thought I would share some of the fun with you....

Emmy got to hold a 5 day old goat.  I wanted to take it home.... how can you resist its cuteness!

Love this shot of Emmy with two of her friends.  I was in charge of these 3 girls.

Llamas are awesome.  I wish I could bend my neck in order to make reaching my food easier!

Emmy got a chance to milk this cow!

Feeding the goats...

And I just love this shot of the three friends....

It was a very eventful trip and we all learned a lot about the animals on the farm!

Anyhow, yesterday I shared with you a sweet little chippy milk paint table.  When I purchased that table, I also bought this bench.  I love benches like this painted....
It's a beautifully solid Ethan Allen bench, and I knew I wanted it to be a fun color, perfect for a porch.  I loved the Florence bench I did for my own porch last week, but I didn't quite have enough left.
Oh, and speaking of my own bench, I found the most perfect window frame to hang above it....

 Ok, back to the Ethan Allen Bench.... I decided to add enough Provence to fill my sample pot back up!  I mixed approximately one part Florence with one part Provence, and ended up with a great surf blue color.  I sanded the seat of the bench, just to ensure more paint durability there.  I applied two coats and then distressed the bench with 180 grit sandpaper by hand.

To finish it off, I used a wax brush on the spindles and a rag on the more solid areas to apply my favorite weathering and finishing wax over chalk paint- Briwax in Golden Oak, available at Rockler.  Once the wax had dried, I used a rag and elbow grease to buff it to a smooth finish.  Here is the finished product...





As soon as I took pictures of it, I had to put it back in the garage..... because I started to think I needed to keep this one, too.  But instead, it will be available at the May barn sale!

Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!  I will be finishing up a dresser for my friends girls' shared room.  Here's a little sneak peek....

I hope to have the full reveal for you tomorrow.... but maybe not til Monday as I have to get the hardware from my friend. :)
Photobucket

Sharing here:
JENNIFER RIZZO
The Inspiration Gallery Link PartyEmbracing Change The 36th AVENUE- A creative DIY blog. Sharing tons of recipes, gift ideas, crafts, home d├ęcor and home improvement easy to follow tutorials. Come visit to make the ordinary EXTRAORDINARY on a budget! www.the36thavenue Follow on Pinterest pinterest.com/...#recipes #crafts #decor Furniture Feature Fridays

43 comments:

Restyled Vintage said...

Love that blue colour Cassie...and that bench does look cute on your verandah!

Emmy's trip looked like great fun and I love the photo of the three girls too...so cute :)

xx Karen

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

The girls are too cute. And I love the colour of your bench. Another fun piece. Have a good weekend (upcoming )
Fiona

Julia Konya said...

fabulous color for the bench it's perfect. And I was also starting to think that you had to keep it ;)
Loved the farm photos. Emmy is too cute!

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

The photo of Emmy walking / holding hands with her friends, precious ... that pic is worthy of printing on canvas as a keepsake or some other way to preserve. Love how those paints can be mixed to create "new" colors, your surf blue will definitely sell quickly should it actually make it to the barn sale ;)

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Love the photo of your daughter walking with her friends. So precious1 xo Kristin

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Awesome color, loving that bench

Cathy Wall said...

Such a fun update to the bench! LOVE the shots of Emmy and her field trip, looks like a blast!

Angela Santaniello said...

Awesome! Love the color on the bench. And the field trip looked pretty great, too. How awesome is that that Emmy got to milk a cow?!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh pretty! Love that color and how perfect for a porch! ... What a fun day on the farm! Those girls are just beaming!

Gwen said...

I would suck at the barn sale cuz I would want to keep everything! You are strong, sistah!

Melissa Skidmore said...

LOVE that bench! Such a beautiful color! And, that goat is precious! I never knew a goat could be so cute?! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Sayuri said...

Great photos of the field trip, they must've had so much fun!!
You bench turned out great, beautiful color!
I love the idea of hanging an old frame above bench:)

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

I say if Tori Spelling has a goat then you can have one too! (and I love the bench too!)

Vintage Prairie Style said...

too cute, love that baby goat! i have a not so secret wish to own one of those little guys one day... it could be my city goat - the neighbors would probably love it (haha). love the bench and the window above yours - this may not surprise you, but i am going through a bit of a salvage window thing myself. i am in the middle of hanging a series of them in my dining room.
keya

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love the color! I cannot wait to see that dresser too! Your little ones are so cute Cassie. Love the pictures.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

These pics of the field trip bring back so many wonderful memories...seems like it was just a few years ago when I went with my girls (now 26 and 23). The bench makeover looks GREAT! I have never used this wax...do you like it beter than Annie Sloan and CeCe Caldwell waxes?

Blessings,
Linda

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Your pictures of your daughter are delightful! I love the shape of that new bench. Reminds me of one I tried...unsuccessfully...to talk my neighbor out of for a long time ;-)

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Love the pic of the three girls holding hands! Looked like such fun ... and am loving the blue bench too!

:) Linda

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Ooh, I love that color- I think you created a winner! :)

Gail Wilson said...

what a great field trip... it almost makes me miss teaching pre-k. I loved the field trips we use to take. Love the animal and friends pictures... tooo sweet.
the bench is adorable, I didn't like it before at all... but now I know it will move quick! great call on the color.

gail

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

The kids had a ball, but Mom did too!
The bench is perfect! I would die to go to your space!!!
I must find a source for stuff like you all do. When I saw that window frame it screamed out! That's exactly what we need on a blank wall on our "Terrace". I started calling it a Terrace after visiting local area Show Homes. All the ground level, walk out areas were referred to as the Terrace Level!!!!!! We now have a Terrace ....no way is it a covered porch. How boring!

Dana Frieling said...

Loving the gold peeking through in that last shot. And, Emmy totally needs a goat. ;)

Miss Charming said...

Ooh, love the bench color! (But my favorite photo was of the three girls holding hands--so sweet.)

Nine Red said...

Whaaaat! I'm in love with that blue! So pretty - did you hand paint or spray? Great work, I'd want to keep it too!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Another beautiful color! I love mixing paint colors.

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

You've sure got a way with the benches :) love it! & I too want to snuggle (and steal) that tiny baby goat. so sweet! Emmy looks adorable and like she is having a blast with all of her friends!

Ali Richardson said...

WHY do I not own this bench? Why? I love it so.
Cute pics of your little cutie on the farm :)
XOXO

Dear Emmeline said...

lol. don't you hate it when you finish pieces and think ooo I want to keep this one? It's hard parting with pieces you like!

Gretchen said...

That blue is so pretty! and looks like a fun time was had by all at the farm :)

Catherine said...

I love the colour you made it - really highlights the style.

And the field trip sounds great, can't wait to do that sort of thing when my kids get to school :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Shoot, that is just awesomely awesome, Cassie. Love!!
Ok, and I would totally have wanted a goat, too, after seeing that pic. :-D
xo Heidi

Rita said...

I seriously couldn't wait to see the after of this bench!! I love the outcome!! and that picture of the girls...I think it needs to be black and white and in a frame on a wall in her room. It is picture perfect :)

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

I love this bench makeover! Such a beautiful color choice.. I am a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully want to follow me back! Have a great evening Nicole!

Allison said...

What a fun day you all had yesterday! The girls are so cute and that goat is adorable. I think it would be fun to live in the country and have a whole lot of farm animals. Love the bench! That color really transformed it into fresh and lively now.

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

What a great color! Baby goats are the cutest!!

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Another gorgeous piece Cassie. I love the colour, I would find it hard to part with too.
Great pics of your field trip, gorgeous girls and gorgeous animals :)
Alison x

Kelly said...

Aww, love all the pics of the girls with the farm animals! I'd totally take a baby goat.

May Hussein said...

Emmy and her friends look so cute having fun with the animals....and i love love love that bench...perfect color!

Old Red Barn said...

Hi Cassie, your kids are so cute! And the bench is cute as well :-). Did you know that Ethan Allen is openening stores in Europe now? The first one opened in our capital, Brussels, Belgium. Feel free to join my link party with this bench. It looks gorgeous!

Goedele

Stacey said...

Gorgeous Cassie! Love it! I am working on a similar piece right now - your inspires me!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Good Time Charlie said...

I am not sure which is cuter, the 5 day old goat, the picture of Emmy and the little girls holding hands or the bench. Can you get that bench out and give it a lift on the next truck heading to California? I think it needs to sit on my front porch. It will look especially fantastic when I repaint my door bright red.

Nine Red said...

oooooooh, Karen! Gonna paint your door red? That'll look GREAT!

TheMoonAndMe said...

Cute kids...even the furry ones. :)
I need this bench...now. I love the color and the perfect distressing! I may have drooled on my keyboard.
Kelly