Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Project Kitchen: Lighting

Disclosure: All of the opinions in this post are my own.  I was not paid by Lamps Plus, but I was provided with product to review.

Happy Tuesday!  It's been an exciting couple weeks around here as we prepare for our kitchen to be redone.  A month ago I shared my dreams for what is currently my very ugly mustard yellow kitchen.  In that post, I didn't touch at all upon lighting because I had not thought much of the details yet as I had the major work.  Now that we are getting closer, I have selected all my lights, and over the past two weeks, they have all arrived.  We will have lights above our new island, a new pendant above our sink, and a new chandelier in the dining room (which currently has a circa 1985 fan/light combo that is smoking hot, in case anyone wants to salvage it!).

Lamps Plus was kind enough to supply me with a new pendant for above the sink as well as the dining room chandelier.  I am going to make you wait to see which lights I chose, but I wanted to share with you some of the lights that made my final cut, which are all on my lighting pinterest board.

For the dining room,  I wanted something either industrial and rustic, or streamlined, clean, and modern.  I knew I would know when I saw it.  The room currently looks like this, and will stay basically the same, minus a wall being gone. :)


So here are some of my choices...

OK, so this one is really a splurge for me, so not really a choice, but this is my dream....
This wooden chandelier is AMAZING.  AH-MAZING.  Enough said.
Quorum Ashford 6-Light 26 1/2" Wide Provincial Chandelier


This faux antler chandelier is awesome, too!  And I love that it is faux, as I would want to woodland creatures hurt or killed to make my dining room/kitchen dreams come true.
Faux Antler 20" Wide 3-Light Pendant Light

Love this Uttermost drum pendant.  The finish is so very cool.
Uttermost Albiano Drum 1-Light Pendant

I love the industrial look of this Edison bulb chandelier.
Lacey 28" Wide Round Black Chandelier

And I also love the sleek design of this slightly more glamorous chandelier.
Sutton 26" Wide Brushed Nickel and Glass Chandelier

So which of these chandeliers do you like best?  Which do you think I chose?

Now, let's talk about the pendant above the sink.... We have a corner sink with two windows, and I love that feature!  The sink will stay where it is, although it will be replaced.  If your eyes are sensitive to ugliness, look away for a moment while I remind you where the pendant will go...


See, it will go in that corner, where currently the ugly molding is hiding two awesome fluorescent flickering lights, again, in case anyone wants to salvage them.  Anyone? Anyone?

Anyhow, let's move on to more attractive pictures.
Love this fun orb style industrial pendant....
Industrial Atom 8" Wide Edison Bronze Mini Pendant Light

Here's another cool industrial pendant, a little simpler in style.
Warm Bronze 9" Wide Edison Industrial Mini Pendant Light

Love the color in this blue glass pendant!  So fun.
Possini Euro Darby 10 1/2" Wide Blue Glass Pendant Light

This one is super cool and reminds me of my brother... kind of movie style.
Emery Silver Finish Rod Hung Mini Pendant Chandelier

I love this clean glass globe light... light would flow right through it!
LBL Isla Clear Nickel 9 3/4" Wide Pendant Light

And I am in love with this diamond faceted pendant!  It's stunning.  I am not a diamond kind of girl when it comes to my jewels, but I am when it comes to my lights!  Shine bright like a diamond.
Robert Abbey Satori Indoor Outdoor Bronze Pendant Light

And this one would have been a total splurge, so it didn't make the final cut, but hello shiny brass orb light.  I think I love you.
Hudson Valley Winfield 12" Wide Aged Brass Pendant Light

So again, I would love to hear what you would choose and what you think I chose? Do tell!

And remember to check out my pinterest lighting board to see all of my top picks!


Photobucket

50 comments:

uniquelyyoursormine.com said...

Lucky girl! I like the blue glass pendant for the kitchen and maybe the metal drum pendant for the dining room... I'm not sure about the last choice as I'm not sure how the light would work.. Would it just be more spot light like? Good luck choosing!

Di said...

I love the chandelier and the movie star light! How lucky are you for a kitchen do over. It will be cool I am sure.

Julia Konya said...

Oh I love that first wood chandelier! For some reason I think you picked the Uttermost drum pendant or the Eduson buld chandelier. And the diamond pendant????
Can't wait to see which ones you picked! Love picking lights.

Andrea said...

You're such a tease! I love that wood chandy too. Can't wait to see what you chose.

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

So fun to choose the accessories! I can't wait to see the lighting choices in the space!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

All of those choices are incredible. :) I can't wait to see what you choose.

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Love the clear glass or the cool industrial....and that wood chandelier is absolutely my favorite!! Take care, Caroline

The Far Fifty said...

Hmmm, I really can't decide what I think you picked. I love the finish on that metal drum shade.

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

I would love the edison chandelier, but I think you may have chosen the metal drum. I like the blue pendant (after all, it is the color that sells!), but I also love the science-y atomic thing. In reality, I would have to choose something that didn't show the lightbulb, because DL insists on using those ugly compact flourescents in the kitchen.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

So many choices!! I like the orb light for over the sink and the drum chandelier for your dining room.I'd have trouble picking though!

17 Perth said...

You have to be so excited about your kitchen! I know I would be! :) love these light fixtures....and I am super excited to see what you picked....I'm guessing you picked the drum pendant in the dining room and the...hmmm...the second set is harder for me...I want to say the teal colored glass light (because I know you love that color), but I am going to guess that you went with the industrial pendant or the glass globe!

Cathy Wall said...

So exciting that you are getting close to moving on your kitchen overhaul! Love all of your lighting choices but my fave for the DR is The Uttermost drum (do love the wood on too) and for the kitchen, the simpler, cool industrial which exudes the look without being too trendy. Can't wait to see what you chose!

Julie @ Restlye Relove said...

Hi Cassie, I've also been looking for new lights for our kitchen. We currently have down lights that never seem to work and I'm constantly cooking in the dark. I love the industrial style too. Cant wait to see what you chose! x Julie

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

So many great options, you really can't go wrong. But That faux antler chandelier would be so fitting for your woodland home! Can't wait to see what you picked.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

This is like a test isn't it? Hmmm....I think you chose the Edison Bulb chandelier and the movie pendant. I seriously would take any of them. We have super ugly track lighting in our kitchen - blech.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh my gosh I am so excited about your kitchen remodel I can barely stand it!!!!!!!!!
Um I think you chose the Edison Bulb Chandelier and either the Orb Style Industrial Pendant or the Other Cool Industrial Pendant (those are the official names right?) Do I win the two flickering flourescent lights if I'm correct?? : )
Okay lets get this party started - I can't wait to see remodel!

Melissa Skidmore said...

I see several that would look fantastic! As for that first wooden chandelier - Hello Jello! That thing is amazing! I know you are excited about your kitchen makeover! I can't wait to see all of the changes! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Mary said...

All those lights are beautiful, but the faux antler one is A...ma...zing!

The Bold Abode said...

Girl, i have no idea which you picked, but I can't wait to see! i do love that Edison one and the industrial orb! Super coolio!

marthaleonedesign.com said...

Other readers are giving great advice. I would just say to choose something that is versatile, not too style specific since you probably won't be changing it again? I like to go with versatile hard wired goods so that when I get in the mood to change out wall color and other things in my room, the hard wired stuff won't compete with my changing interests.

Renee said...

I really like your choices, however, I would say the first one (the splurge) would look awesome in the dining room. Or the Edison bulb... I like the movie start light for above the sink.

Janj7 said...

I believe I would go with the Orb Style Pendant over the sink, and the Uttermost drum pendant over the table - LOVE those two - very different and statement pieces - and maybe I'd even paint the window muntins and trim black ...? just a thought.
You are so inspiring to me!

Rita said...

Ok, yay, this is fun! So the chandelier that speaks to me is the Edison Bulb chandelier. I love that one and for your "simply gorgeous" kitchen I'm going with the glass globe. Those are much harder.
Ohhh and that floor.. you must do somehting fun with those tiles once you're all done!! :)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I'm with you on that wood chandy - swoon!!! Can't wait to see what you picked!

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oh, tough choices! You can't go wrong with any of them, and that wood chandelier is dreamy!

buildingthisnest said...

So many awesome choices! I love the faux antler chandelier and that drum shade chandelier...the finish on that one is so unique! For the pendants, I really like #2 and #4. I can't wait to see what you chose!!

Gretchen said...

wooden chandelier! that is so fabulous--I've never seen anything like it!

Twice Nice said...

I have a horrible time committing to any one light! Can't we just get them all and rotate them between our houses?! Seriously, they are all gorgeous choices. A couple I would eliminate ONLY because they would need dusted way more often than I seem capable of. You are probably a better house keeper than I though! Can't wait for the reveal.

Bliss said...

I like them all but here is my dilemma... sometimes I like lots of bright light at our dining room table, so lots of bulbs is necessary. Sometimes I don't want lots of light, like creating ambiance with low light. So our solution was to get one with lots of bulbs and put it on a dimmer switch so I can have the best of both worlds. I mean I craft more than eat at the dining room table, one bulb no matter how stylish would NOT cut it.

Bliss

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

If I had to guess I would say the drum chandelier or the Edison bulb chandelier. And, for the pendants maybe the first two. Either way you go, they're all pretty darn awesome!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

you've already picked some pretty great lights, so you can't really go wrong. i can't wait to see what you've picked!
i am excited and jealous that you are doing a kitchen reno - it's gonna be amazing! can't wait to see it.
keya

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Hi Cassie :)Those are sooo you! Can't wait to see what you got cooking! Awesome that Lamps Plus supplied some for you :)xo Kristin

Tiffany said...

I'm more drawn to the glam chandelier, but in your room I think the antler one would look really good. As for pendants, I'm partial to the fourth because it looks similar to what I have in my kitchen;) I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your choices though.

sturdydesign said...

They are all beautiful light fixtures! But, just so you know...antlers naturally fall off and re-grow every year. Anything made with antlers doesn't need to kill an animal to be made. You can find shed antlers laying on the ground when you go out hiking in the woods. Hopefully this will make you feel better about antlered items! :)

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

LOVE!! So exciting! I'm thinking the glass globe for your pendant fixture and the Edison bulb chandy for your dining room. They're all amazing though... can't wait to see!
xo Heidi

Dear Emmeline said...

if you wanted an orb pendant light why didn't you just say so! ;p

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Yay, a game. I love games. Ok ... tough one here ... but I think you went faux antler and glass globe ... or maybe uttermost drum and the diamond faceted pendent. Oh heck, I don't know. But can't wait to see. :)

Dana Frieling said...

Gee thanks for getting the diamond song stuck in my head. ;) Deer naturally shed their antlers so don't be afraid to buy a genuine one! I'm horrible at the guessing game. I'll just wait to see which pretties you ended up with. Can't wait to watch your kitchen progress!

Lisa - A Room with A View said...

For the dining room I like the drum shade with the faux antler without the antler(!) but my favorite would be the edison bulb one. And in the kitchen I like the glass globe light best because of the additional light it would give you. So much choice, Cassie!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I am not about to guess? Are you nuts?
I was in a "shop" this afternoon in Midtown Atlanta that was heavenly. The owner was featured in this month's Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles. I had a doc appointment in the area this morning and thought we could try and find David's shop. Oh we did, boy did we! It was fantastic. BTW I loved the feature and photo's about his condo. Talk about "lighting"!!! What unique, great pieces....all way above our pay grade. He was there and I loved meeting him. Love it when the "Designers" are human!!!

Good Time Charlie said...

I 2nd what Bliss says, except my favorite is that copper looking drum Chandelier. Very cool!

Allison said...

What a great selection. Can't wait to see what you chose! I like all of them. Kitchens are fun projects. That wooden chandelier is unique.

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

How fantastic that you got a couple of fun treats from Lamps Plus! I think any of them will be totally gorgeous and can't wait to see what you picked.

~ rooms FOR rent ~ said...

I LOVE LOVE the first wood chandelier!! OHMYGOSH!! However.. I might be leaning more towards the Edison light bulb one.. don't know.. but it might throw in that fun punch you always seem to capture!! How fun.. Can't wait to see how the kitchen transformation comes out :) ~Bre

cindy the cottage chick said...

Hmmmm....like that uttermost drum quite a bit, and LOVE that rustic orb thing. And weird, the house we're building will have a corner sink and an island :) I'll be making lighting choices soon....can' wait to see what you picked!

love, Vicki. ;)

Kelly said...

The wood chandelier is ridiculous in all the right ways. SOOO cool and interesting!

Jesse Bodine said...

That wood chandelier...its perfect... rustic & chunky but has a bit of glam to it with the brass...want it & definitely pinning that sucker! You had a tough choice to make! They are all gorgeous!!! I am guessing the pendant is the clear glass globe, but I do love the shiny brass orb light & I've never seen anything quite like it before! Cannot wait to see what you went with & go Lamps Plus!!! Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Lucky duck! My kitchen and dining room are in serious need of new lighting, but sadly my husband doesn't agree. I love the pendent that looks like a movie light, so neat!

Catherine said...

I'm terrible at lighting - I just can't work it! I love the Edison Chandelier, and the orb industrial pendent

Rubylicious Bespoke said...

I love the uttermost drum pendant, gorgeous. Ship me over a few pretty please ;)