Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Aqua and Zebra Cedar Chest/Bench; Alternatively Titled "Why Running Early in the Morning is Good"



In the last couple months I have gotten into a routine with my friends.... Tuesday and Thursday are running days.  We do the same 4.5 mile loop at 6:30 AM.  Some days I am tired and lacking motivation, but knowing that I am meeting my friends keeps me going!  One morning, we were on the second half of our run, and headed through a neighborhood, and what to my wandering I should appear, but a sweet little cedar chest with a sign on its rear: "FREE".  Well, clearly I couldn't haul it and run, so I made a mental note and headed back after the run to grab it!  Here it is in its before state....

Sorry for the cruddy iphone picture... it was hard to see what it took out in the sun!  Anyhow, it was in decent shape- just missing knobs and screws for the hinges and the cushion needed to be recovered.  It was also missing the lock, but frankly, who needs to lock up their blankets?  Maybe Linus, but other than that I am not too sure.  I replaced the screws for the hinges, and then got to work.  I removed the cushion, which screws on to the top.  I wanted to give it sort of a beachy look, and I also wanted to get rid of some paint cans that only had a little bit each left in them.  I mixed of Annie Sloan's Old White and Duck Egg with CeCe Caldwell's Alaska Tundra Green and came out with a pretty aqua.  I gave it two coats, distressed it and then waxed it with Annie Sloan clear wax.

The finishing steps were the knobs and the fabric.  I was going to use burlap, but I decided to let Emmy choose from a few I had.  She chose a chocolate zebra.

For the knobs, I needed some that did not have posts sticking out of the back, as I imagine someone will put blankets in this chest, and I don't want them to get snagged.  That eliminated a lot of the choices I would normally use for glass or crystal.  I decided to use D. Lawless hardware for the knobs, as they have lots of glass and acrylic options which have screws rather than posts and nuts.  They had lots of choices, but eventually I settled on the Diamond Cut Acrylic Small Knob.  Not only was the price right at just $1.10 each, but they were the perfect scale for the piece.  Here is the picture from their website.
Diamond Cut Acrylic Small Knob - Antique Brass Base 1-1/16"

And now here is the cedar chest, complete with its new paint, fabric, and hardware!

I think Emmy did a stellar job choosing the fabric, don't you?  The zebra adds a nice punch!  She said my burlap choice was "ugly". :)



And how perfect are these knobs from D.Lawless?

So pretty!  I don't think I will ever stop loving glass or acrylic knobs.... kind of like I will never stop loving glitter.  Or tin foil Or anything shiny.

I can't wait to take this piece over to the barn for the June sale, although I am so tempted to put it at the foot of Emmy's bed.... But I won't.  But I might.

A special thank you goes out to D. Lawless Hardware for providing me with the knobs to complete this project!

Photobucket
Sharing here:
JENNIFER RIZZO

Domestically Speaking

Embracing Change

49 comments:

bec said...

gorgeous stuff ....love the knobs with such a soft colour and the zebra stripes....ummm...after a few looks ...yeah! ...it works.
bec x

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Love the blue and the knobs! I go walking in our neighborhood on Sunday nights so we can see what people are throwing out... many times I go back and get my car for a great find!
Susan

miss flibbertigibbet said...

That came out just wonderful! I always think if these folks could see what the piece of furniture looks like after someone gave it some love...they'd never have dumped it like they did! of course then us trash pickers wouldn't be so lucky I suppose,

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the color and the unexpected zebra!

Julia Konya said...

I still don't think I'll start to run more LOL, I so admire you for running so much. Love the before and after of the bench. So pretty!

Stacey said...

That is just beautiful! I love it - the color, the knobs, the zebra and the fact that it was FREE!
Wow!
Stacey

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

What a fabulous and FREE find! My streets never have goodies like that. Love it x

Catherine said...

That's such a great piece Cassie - and FREE is right in my price range ;) Love the knobs too.

Restyled Vintage said...

Emmy did good and so did you...love the colour and yes the knobs are perfect!

The Bold Abode said...

It's fantastic, baby! Emmy has an innate sense of BOLDness... <3

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Geez! That doesn't even look like the same piece. It went from Granny to Lolita :) xo Kristin

bonniegetchell said...

Wow! It looks incredible now! The paint really brings out all of the details. And the knobs-- love, love, love!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

Anne @ Hello Newmans said...

what a great find! It looks awesome :)

Dana Frieling said...

That was worth the miles. Did it make you run faster since you didn't want anyone else to scoop up your score?! And, look at Emmy...a girl who knows what she wants. Awesome!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

If the person who threw this out could see this they would be kicking themselves!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh wow, that is awesome! Love the fabric/paint combination! Almost makes me want to take up running!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

Great find, love anything free!

Angela Santaniello said...

Love the color and Emmy's fabric choice! Perfect & unexpected!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Another beautiful transformation!

pam {simple details} said...

Oooh, I absolutely think Emmy needs it! :)

Anne said...

Love it, cute choice of fabric Emmy!
Anne

Megan Vaughn said...

That color you've created is so pretty! Love the fabric that your daughter chose to go with it. You are so right the knobs fit perfectly.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

"Maybe Linus"....you kill me.
The zebra is perfect, and so are the knobs!

vintageshabbychicks said...

Beautiful job...just goes to show "early bird gets the worm" Love Emmy's choice of fabric:)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Very pretty, Cassie! You and Emmy make a great team.

Twice Nice said...

I think Emmy's fabric choice was perfect for this chest! Pretty custom color too. I need to try mixing more paints to create more options. Nice reward for the morning run I'd say!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Emmy you are a genius! The cushion is PERFECT.
This can't possibly be the same piece that was in the street!
It's a good thing I live hundreds of miles from you.....I'd go broke!
The color, cushion and those fabulous knobs are one of my favorite pieces I have seen!!!!!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

look at you killing 2 birds with one stone - exercise and shopping... very cute. loving the blue!
keya

amber-wills said...

So cute! Little Ms. Emmy is letting her style show! ;)

Shannon Fox said...

So cute.
Color. love!
Zebra, so FUN :)))

Self Sagacity said...

Nice shade of blue. What is the color name and brand? It is so chic!

Jane Craske said...

What a gem now!

Dear Emmeline said...

can't believe those knobs are that cheap! they look stunning!

Ali Richardson said...

Love love love! Those knobs are perf! Great work :)

Rita said...

How lucky were you to find this!! Love it and Miss Emmy is following in her momma's footsteps alright :)

Erin @ His and Hers said...

Roadside finds are the BEST! That is an amazing piece-- even without boring burlap. ;)

Hetty said...

Huge transformation Cassie, love the zebra fabric.

Bliss said...

Emmy's got the eye, and I love it.

Bliss

andrea@townandprairie said...

I love it, keep it! PUT IT BY THE BED!! Love the paint choice and the zebra kicks up the glam/fun factor!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

hi Cassie - Emmy is very much your girl -such fun! this is a great piece and the before is so terrible but you've made it look beautiful. great idea to use up all your paint leftovers - the colour is gorgeous.
I can so relate to your indecision on keeping pieces - so hard sometimes
Fiona xx

cindy the cottage chick said...

perfection. And I'll be needing to check out that knob place fo sho.

Renee said...

Nice grab. I never see stuff like that when I run my route. It's always old office chairs with stains or some laminate bookshelf! Emmy has a future in design!

Marlen said...

i am seriously BLOWN AWAY, that looks so, so radically different! i need to start running more often ;)

xo Marlen
Messages on a Napkin

Allison said...

Miss Emmy has a great eye and is a mini you. So adorable! The bench looks fantastic and Emmy's fabric is perfect for it. Love those knobs, too. Hope you and Sawyer are feeling better today.

Gail Wilson said...

free is great! and.. how nice of someone else to give you a great base coat of paint! :)
love the new look, and the knobs.
gail
ps I hope sawyer is feeling better!

17 Perth said...

I seriously cannot believe you got that for free!!! Lol. I run and that has never happened to me!! Lol

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Gotta love a freebie and how cute is that!!?? Emmy's got great taste!
xo Heidi

Shelley | Crazy Wonderful said...

" With a sign on its rear", ha!!! I can just picture this in a fun mud room. the perfect place to plopping down and take shoes on and off. Great fabric choice by Miss Emmy!

Good Time Charlie said...

ooo, I so love free things! That is the best when you find them out on a run too! Emmy did a great job with the Zebra fabric. What a fun piece!