Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Somerset Gold Antiqued Dresser with Mirror

Happy Tuesday!  Guess what I did yesterday....   well, the guys finished priming early in the morning, so I saw a window of opportunity.  I had no plans for the day other than working on furniture projects and basking in the glorious day, but instead I busted my tail to get my kitchen cabinets painted!  I will share later this week, but here is a sneak peek.  (You can catch most sneak peeks on instagram: cassie8978).

They were still actually tacky here with poly, but I had to sneak a peek with the glass hardware I got from D.Lawless hardware.  As soon as I took the picture, I opened all the drawers and doors.  I also did remove all the doors to paint, but again.... post coming later on that.  I just wanted to share a glimpse.

Anyhow,  I have a fun dresser to share today.... I have had a hankering to paint something yellow lately, and this dresser seemed the perfect candidate.  I bought it from the soccer mom that was referred to me.  Here it is before (minus its mirror).  In this picture you can see I had already removed some hardware and filled holes.  (By the way, I used my favorite filler, Wunderfil from Rockler, seriously the best I have found).

I gave it a good sanding all over and then applied 3 coats of General Finishes Milk Paint in Somerset Gold from Rockler.  Once I applied 3 coats, I used my orbital sander and fine sandpaper and gave it a good distressing all over.  Finally, to give it an antiqued look I used General Finishes Glaze Effects in Van Dyke Brown.
General Finishes EF Glazes
This was my first time using this product and I loved it!  It was so easy to use.  I applied it with a brush and then wiped with a rag.  It dries very quickly, so I found I had to work fast.  I love the finish it gave this piece!

Here it is in its new rustic somerset gold finish!


I love how the glaze settled in the details and keyhole hardware and made them pop!



I don't know why I don't work with yellow more often.  I really love the warmth and energy.... guess I am and always will be team any-shade-of-blue though. :)

Happy Tuesday!  I am off to school today for a volunteer appreciation lunch.  Emmy is pretty excited to have something special for me today, and I am looking forward to having lunch at the school since many lunches these past weeks have been ordered out! ;)


Photobucket
Sharing here:
Jennifer Rizzo
741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_oElizabeth and Co.
Domestically Speaking
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The 36th Avenue
Embracing Change
PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays

48 comments:

Rita said...

ok, this is going to be odd getting a comment from me so early in the morning but I've been up since 4 and can't sleep:) Thank God for Early blog posts to keep me company!!
I love this yellow by the way, it's gorgeous and perfect for this piece not to mention the glaze...ahh be still my heart!!
Oh and love seeing your picture from people posting about Lucketts!! I definitely have to venture out there one year!!

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Gorgeous color! That dresser is really nice... I like the glaze on it too!
Susan

Julia Konya said...

Love the yellow too. So pretty!
And like I said already on IG, I love the cabinets too.

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

Stunning. The cabinets look really nice. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen..

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

I want to paint something yellow too! The glaze looks great on the details of this piece. I will have to check that out. Do you wax after?

Storywood Designs said...

Gorgeous Color and dresser re-do Cassie! Those cabinets look so pretty... I can't wait to see what you do with the whole kitchen.

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

I didn't even notice all the pretty detail in the "before" picture. That glaze makes such a difference!

Megan Vaughn said...

Your cabinets are looking very nice. :) The yellow on that dresser really makes it shine. I did not even notice any of those beautiful details before you painted it.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

I'm with Jennifer - I also didnt notice the pretty details in the before photo. It looks gorgeous - and I don't even like yellow!
I'm off to bed down under, but have a great day!
Fiona x

Stiltskin Studios said...

pretty pretty pretty! I LOVE Van Dyke glaze...it's the color I used on my dresser in my bedroom. General Finishes glazes are wonderful to work with, and this color is perfect...it reminds me of the color of dark wax but easier to use :0)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow, what a pretty dresser! Yellow is always a favorite with me and it was the perfect choice for this vintage piece! ... And I love the way the blue cabinets look with your awesome gray tile!

reFresh reStyle said...

Love, love, love!

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

What a pretty dresser! And those cabinets are lookin' good - I am so looking forward to seeing the full kitchen!

Bliss said...

Lordy, pinned again.

Bliss

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What a gorgeous piece! Great lines. And "woo-hoo" for kitchen progress!

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

LOVE THE WAY THIS TURNED OUT, IT'S A BEAUTY AND I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, IF THAT WOULD BE OK PLEASE LET ME KNOW,
LAUREN

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

So excited about your color choice for the cabinetry. It looks so fab with the hardware!!!!!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

It looks great, Cassie! I am always looking for something new to try, so I may just run out and get some of this glaze.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Oh my word that dresser transformation is amazing! Such a pretty shape made better by your beautiful finish! Your kitchen cabinets look great...things are looking good in there!

Ali Richardson said...

Your cabinets are to die for friend! And I love yellow too :) Pretty!! xoxo

Wendy said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I love this dresser! Such a beautiful job! I am always to scared to use brown glaze, but I think I just might need to now!

Wendy@ wwww.sometimestwice.blogspot.com

cindy the cottage chick said...

Unbelievably gorgeous Cassie! And I can't freaking wait to see your kitchen all done :)

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

Loving the kitchen sneak peeks!! Have a great day - my kids last day is this Friday!!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

oh goodness, I am in love with that dresser ... and you cabinets!! can't wait to see more!

17 Perth said...

AHH! I love your cabinets!! And wait--why do you poly the cabinets? Please tell! :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The dresser is magnificent...you did an unbelievable job!....stunning!...I am going to look for those products!

Jesse Bodine said...

Wow! It doesn't even look like the same dresser!?! Very impressive and I CANNOT wait to see your cabinets all done! I know they will look amazing! Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

Dana Frieling said...

Oh girl, liking what I'm seein' in your kitchen!!! I'm with ya on team blue, but a yellow accent here and there can be the perfect compliment. Beautiful work.

Shelly Andrade said...

Cassie, this is the most beautiful piece EVER!! LOVE the color, distressing, the style, the glazing... everything!! You nailed it!

Allison said...

Your kitchen cabinets look really great! Your kitchen is coming together so quickly....so exciting! The yellow dresser is beautiful. Pretty detail on that piece. I think spring brings the yellow out in me. I love yellow. Hope you had a fun day with Emmy at school.

Good Time Charlie said...

That is just gorgeous. I love the color and love the glaze. I use a lot of a similar CeCe color, it sells really well here. It is actually called "California Gold", (maybe why it sells well here ;) Can't believe you knocked out those cabinets too!! Love the hardware, can't way to see the rest!

Dear Emmeline said...

bet this one will sell quick! what an awesome piece!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Gorgeous piece -- I love the lines and details! And I would never have thought yellow, but I'm truly in love. Adding this glaze on my list to "play with" this summer. :)
Have a great day, Cassie!
xo Heidi

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Quick question -- do you have to wax over the glaze, or does the glaze effectively seal it?
Curious... :)
xo hm

Daena from Bad Rabbit Vintage said...

I love that yellow! I've used General Finishes products and have always been pleased. You don't hear much about them, though.
LOL, especially not from me since I just became a Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Retailer!

Kelly said...

When you said yellow, I was like - hmm. not sure about that. But of COURSE, it is amazing! Such a gorgeous shade!

Catherine said...

What a colour! It looks great Cassie :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful, Cassie! The paint and wax show off the details wonderfully. I like that it is a "not in your face" yellow, too.

Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) said...

WOW! This is so pretty!!! I love it!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Holy b-e-a-utiful-ness! Love it Cassie!

Bonnie Boyer said...

I Love the yellow you chose for this, it turned out absolutely gorgeous!!

Sayuri said...

Your kitchen cabinet is gorgeous!!
Also I love your dresser, color & the way you distressed and antiqued is fantastic :)

Kathy said...

This is really beautiful, great job!

Gail Wilson said...

love, love, love this dresser Cassie!

wonderful job!
gail

Good Time Charlie said...

Thank you so much for sharing at my party. I LOVE this project, featuring today at 1:00 PST :)

theevelvetglove said...

Over from Redoux. This is beautiful!!

ECKDesign said...

BEAUTIFUL! I too am a visitor from Redoux! =o) Now a new follower! =o)

Laurel Stephens said...

I'm madly in love with this glowing dresser. Bravo!