Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Creative Way to Hang Curtains, and MORE Barn Photos

This week is the last week we have before our barn opens for business on Friday.  Of course, it was in existence already as Stylish Patina, but we didn't want to just "take over".  We wanted to change it and make it ours.  We have been working hard to make some cosmetic changes, and of course we have brought in several local artisans, which is helping us create the eclectic and collected vibe we desire.

Yesterday, I spent much of my day up on a ladder...



You see, we wanted to add some white sheers all along one of our long walls to soften and create texture and warmth.  We purchased some inexpensive sheers from Ikea, but the trick was how to hang them since we have cement walls which are much harder to work with.  The ceiling of the barn is wood so we knew we could drill into that.  We pondered the pipe curtain rods, like I created for Sawyer's room, but we needed to cover over 40 feet, so it would have been pricier.  I recalled that a friend of mine had a bunch of old already dried out bamboo and she wasn't going to use all of it.  I asked her if we could snag some to use as curtain rods, and she happily gave is 4 nice long pieces.

I purchased nice thick eye hooks and sisal rope.  I spent the day drilling, screwing in the eye hooks, and then securing the bamboo by tying the rope through the hook to create a loop I could slide the bamboo through.

(Sorry for the poor photo, but with the light coming in through the windows it was a challenge with my phone!)


The bamboo was super thick, so too thick for the curtains to slide on, so we created ties with some jute and tied them on.  Here they are...



I just love the overall organic feel they have.  Here you can see how we placed them with some furniture on the wall, and they really help soften the space...


And since I brought my camera yesterday, I was able to snap some much better quality shots... thought I would share some with you!   There's not much DIY going on here at the moment, as this is all I am focused on right now. :)

















Are you sick of seeing barn photos yet?  I sure hope not!  Like I said, with getting this all set up and ready, there hasn't been too much time for DIY-ing around here.

I also wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you for your incredible support through all of this.... Taking over the barn was definitely a leap of faith for us, but you all make me feel like I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.  So for that I thank you!

And now, lucky me, the kids both have playdates, so I am heading to the barn for a couple kid-free hours this morning!

Photobucket

45 comments:

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Definitely not sick of seeing pics, love how the space is looking. The sheer curtains look gorgeous. Good luck for Friday, I'm sure it will be a smashing success :) x

Julia Konya said...

Nope I'm not sick of seeing barn photos. The curtains make such a nice difference in the barn! Love them!

Susan - Uniquely Yours or Mine said...

Loads of gorgeousness!

Katelyn said...

Everything looks amazing Cassie! What time does the barn open on Friday?

The Far Fifty said...

The sheers are a great addition! No, not sick of barn photos, keep em coming! And those red floor pillows? WANT!

Restyled Vintage said...

I have those sheers too...$2.99 a pair at Ikea, they are such a bargain for gorgeous curtains!

The barn is looking fantastic :)

Meg@OliverandRust said...

actually really enjoying all the barn photos. extreme inspiration for the furniture and business minded. looks amazing.

Cathy Wall said...

You ARE doing what you are supposed to be doing! The place looks amazing and I am sad I don't live closer. LOVE the curtain treatment, you are genius!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Those sheers are seriously gorgeous! And I love the way you hung them! The bamboo just adds another layer of texture and fun! ... It's all looking sooo good!!!

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

I am so not sick of barn photos! I just wish that I could see it all in person. And I really like the sheers...what a great way to add a little texture and warmth to a big space.

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

Just beautiful! I hope to make it to the barn one day. . . Where is it exactly? Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

it is coming together ... i can only image how exciting it is for you. and that bamboo is perfect, we brought a few pieces with us from curacao that need to find a function up here soon. :)

The Painted Drawer said...

It all looks fabulous and I LOVE the curtains and how you hung them. So ingenious! I hope to be able to stop by and see it in person this weekend :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love how you used jute to hang the curtains - they look awesome Cassie! As does the barn!!

Katie said...

Awesome idea Cassie!! I live the natural feel it provides! Love all the shots of the space, it's looking amazing! So excited for you guys!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Love it! You are too cute! The curtains look great there. I am still gaga for that bamboo credenza and now that little table with the lion pulls! xo Kristin

pam {simple details} said...

LOVE it all! Do you think I could convince my family we need to vacation there? :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

The curtains make a huge difference and I LOVE it!!! I have always had fun using bamboo as curtain rods on some decorating jobs that I have done in the past. Please don't stop sharing barn pics with us...we love them.

Blessings,
Linda

Jenny said...

I love the barn photos! Such gorgeous styling, people won't be able to contain themselves! Keep 'em coming!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Cassie! It is looking so great! Love all the sneak peeks and the curtains TOTALLY soften the look of the space. Great idea.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I'm never sick of seeing them. You guys have such amazing pieces!!

amber-wills said...

The shear drapes look great with the vignettes in there! I bet it's a lot easier for customers to envision the pieces in their home now!

Vintage Prairie Style said...

Absolutely lovely!
Keya

Dear Emmeline said...

love love love the curtains! they really make it look so much more homey in there! I can see you all have some great pieces this month. Hopefully I'll have a few ready for the July sale. :)

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

It looks awesome! I want to come shop there!! How can I get my hands on a couple of those metallic mason jars?!?!? Seriously, I need like 3 of them - stat!

Jane Craske said...

And soon you'll let folks move in?

Jesse Bodine said...

Are you kidding me! I could never tire of seeing barn pics. It is so exciting Cassie!!! I am seriously so excited for you to officially open this Friday that I have butterflies in my tummy!?! I just love seeing someone take a leap and going for their dreams...high five lady! So so happy for you!!!! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

17 Perth said...

Not sick of it at all!! I love the organic feel too!! Absolutely beautiful! It is looking amazing! Keep the pics coming!

Andrea said...

What a creative way to hang those sheers. Love the look and your stuff is awesome. I'm proud of you for following your dream and making it happen! You go girl!

Sarah {Lacquer and Linen} said...

Good call with that bamboo, it's perfect!! I love how you have styled everything in the barn. I would come scoop up more than a few things if I lived near you!!!

Allison said...

So fun to see it all come together Cassie! It looks wonderful. Lots of treasures there! The sheers add the perfect touch. You all are doing an amazing job.

Renee said...

Gorgeous! And now I know just how to hang curtains in my bedroom!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

You go, girl!! It's looking amazing... I would loooooovvvve to to come shop!
xo Heidi

The Bold Abode said...

I know you must be crazy-busy right now! I'm so excited for you guys and love seeing all the updates you are doing. It's going to be simply amazeballs!

Ali Richardson said...

Awesomeness!!!! The sheers look gorgeous. I love how they soften things up a bit. All of the pictures are drool worthy. Seriously. In love with your new barny barn :) & you. xo

Rita said...

No I LOVE seeing your barn photos!!! it looks beautiful by the way! I love what yall have done by the way :)

Good Time Charlie said...

I love the way the curtains turned out, they look dreamy with the furniture. Great idea! I imagine you have been a VERY busy girl lately. Love the pictures, so many fun things to look at. I have that same RC Cola Crate. Mine doesn't have dividers, I use it as my "in box" in my kitchen. My dad was from the south, the RC reminds me of him. Wishing you all the best of luck and good thoughts going forward.

Catherine said...

I LOVE the barn photos - share as many as you like! Gives me inspiration for the future :)

Mary said...

What a great solution to hang the curtains. The barn looks amazing. Wish I could visit it in person.

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Love the sheers!
I bought a bamboo pole months ago to hang curtains in Charlotte's room from. I was also going to use little linen or jute ties - too funny.

ingrid@nowathomemom said...

great idea to install the curtains to soften the look! :-) & love your pictures; I keep starting at those crates! Lately, I've been obsessed with CRATES, Gold and wood! :-) & NOPE, I am not sick of looking at your beautiful barn photos! I love It, so different from everything I see around here! :-)

Dana Frieling said...

Your posts make me ready to shop! It's fun watching you (from afar) in your element. Keep it up, girlfriend!

Miss Charming said...

What a creative solution for your window treatments, Cassie. Everythng is really looking nice. (And I'm loving the flower knobs on the desk with the blue chair.)

Jenna LaFevor said...

Brilliant!! This is such a lovely space! I want to shop!! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Courtney said...

Holy guacamole!! those sheer curtains are awesome!!! they just soften yet lift the space perfectly! great choice :-)