Monday, July 8, 2013

A Clover Green Dresser: My First Webster's Chalk Paint Powder Experience

Happy Monday!  What a great weekend!  My kids were off with my parents all weekend, having a grand time hitting the aquarium and taking in the sights of the inner harbor in Baltimore.

Chris and I had a great weekend, too!  I spent the day Saturday hitting the flea market and some yard sales (not too much luck!), and coming home to work on some current projects.  That evening we headed out to downtown Frederick for First Saturday, and walked around visiting some favorite shops like Salvaged, Silk and Burlap, and The Muse.  I was excited to check out a new shop I had heard about as well, Relish Decor.  It is ADORABLE!  There are so many great items for the home and entertaining!  Chris and I had a blast checking it out, and the shop owner is as sweet as can be.  She and her husband just opened it together, and I wish them all the best!  If you are in the Frederick area, I highly recommend visiting these shops!
After traipsing around Frederick, we met up with one of my fabulous partners, Sarah, and her husband, Steve, for dinner at my favorite place, The Wine Kitchen.  Dinner was fabulous and the company even better!

This week I will be busting my tail while the kids are at soccer camp in the mornings so I am ready for the next Sweet Clover barn sale which is less than two weeks away!  Better bust-a-move, Ms. Bustamante!

One of the pieces I recently finished is this dresser which was in a pretty sad state when I got it....


It had old brown paint, stickers, and one of the drawers (not pictured) had a broken front.  I decided to remove the drawer and add a shelf.

This one was a lot of work, and still not perfect, but a huge improvement!  I sanded off the stickers, but did not sand anywhere else as I wasn't certain if it was old lead paint or not.  I removed all the hardware, and hemmed and hawed, waiting for inspiration.  In the meantime, I measured and cut a piece of MDF to fit in as a shelf at the top.  I nailed it in place.  Finally, I decided that this piece needed to embrace its funkiness.  I chose the oops color of green I used on the Sweet Clover barn door.  It was not a paint and primer in one though, so I decided to try out Webster's Chalk Paint Powder. I followed the directions and mixed it all up... The paint went on beautifully and adhered to the old brown paint with no problems at all!
I gave it a total of two coats, lightly distressed it, finished with a clear wax, and then added some fun turquoise beaded knobs I had purchased a while back from Anthro.  Here is the final product!







As you can see, this dresser is far from perfect, but I am smitten with its charm!  With its new color, I can see it in a cottage living room as a TV stand, or in a child's bedroom or playroom.  Bright punches of fresh color can always make a room feel so  much happier!

Off to take the kids to soccer camp... Have a wonderful day, friends!
Photobucket
Sharing here:
  My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaDIYShowOff By Stephanie LynnElizabeth and Co.t;741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_o
PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays

52 comments:

Mel@JunkinJunky said...

That is a pretty colour and the knobs are adorable. I haven't heard of that chalk paint powder, I'm going to check it out.

Happy to hear you had such a wonderful weekend.

Storywood Designs said...

That is so cute! I love the green and love the anthro knobs. I've seen the Websters powder and wondered how it works... glad to know that it adhered well!

andrea@townandprairie said...

It WAS an old sad dresser! I think you made her look as good as she possibly was going to look. The green clover is a nice bright transition to the boring brown, and the shelf was a good way to handle the missing drawer. I have an old bruiser in my garage that I found on the road---it is PINK and PURPLE with names painted on each drawer...and the script doesn't even look good. I'm really dreading it, and somedays I wonder, do I really even want to do this piece, or what?

Courtney said...

Looks gorgeous Cassie! Love the colour and th shelf looks like it wa meant to be there all along!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

What a wonderful weekend!! Cannot believe the transformation on this piece! Take care, Caroline

Julia Konya said...

Camp week it is for us too. Yippie!
Love the color of the dresser so much and that you removed the drawer.

Susan - Uniquely Yours or Mine said...

I really like it, it looks like a perfect TV cabinet!

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Cute!!

Allison@FabRehab said...

So charming!! Doesn't need to be perfect...you made it just right!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

You know how I love little cottage dressers and this one is adorable! Pretty color combination, bottom details and wheels - perfect!

Michelle Scheibe said...

It's so cottage cute. Makes me want a cottage...on the beach. Guess I should stop dreaming and go to work today. :P

Shelley | Crazy Wonderful said...

I love it in all of its funkiness. Kinda like me and my cellulite - some pretty paint (or shorts in the perfect length) can hide all the unsightly stuff and highlight the pretty :D

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

This is sooooo fun! So you mix the powder into existing paint to make it chalk paint? I need to try that out! You always get the best knobs for your pieces -- do you shop sales at Anthro or do you have a secret source??? ;-) Do tell!
Now go bust a move, girl!
xo Heidi
PS -- come check out my Emperor's silk table when you get a chance!

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

That is a great oops color! I love to use Websters! The knobs are perfect. I have got to make a trip to Anthro! It is about 45 minutes from me, so I rarely go there. It is dangerous when I do :) Life to the full! Melissa

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

WOW! What a difference! I love the hardware. You always have the coolest hardware! xo Kristin

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I LOVE that color!! And I like that it isn't perfect, that's what makes it special.

Katie said...

How stinking cute Cassie!! I've never heard of that chalk paint product, I'll have to keep an eye out for it! Love the charm of this dresser! Those wheels are precious!

Jesse Bodine said...

It does have some charm...it is so cute with it's little caster legs and fun green color. You have some great vision because seeing the before pic, I would have totally passed this piece up! I love what you did with it and someone is going to snatch it up fast...so cute!

cindy the cottage chick said...

Very fun color and I love those knobs :)

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Another beauty from Cassie! I hope you get lots of work done this week. Your kids are way too cute!

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

Love that colour of green. I didn't even know that chalk paint powder existed, but I'll have to try it out one day. Sounds like you had a fun weekend!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

A true beauty queen after her makeover (luv her new color).
Blessings,
Linda

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Fabulous piece and fabulous colour. Love those knobs too, I want some! X

Sheila said...

Can you tell me the color (or the formula) of the latex that you used with the chalk paint powder? I'm having a heck of a time finding a clover green that I like in person. This looks gorgeous! Thank you!

Twice Nice said...

So fresh! Love it. I shall have to look at this Webster's Chalk Paint Powder. Thanks for sharing it!

vintageshabbychicks said...

Hey Cassie...what a beautiful job using Websters:) Glad you like the product!

Ali Richardson said...

SO pretty friend, nice save! I miss you! Sounds like you had a fun and productive weekend. Get to work Mrs.Bustamante! xo

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Charming indeed! What a fun color.

buildingthisnest said...

This is so pretty!! I really love those beaded knobs.

Steph :)

Rita said...

Love this color! She was in desperate need of some color that's for sure!! I think you made her little heart sing :)

Reeves @ The Weathered Door said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! So cute in that green color and such a transformation.

Dear Emmeline said...

ummm...it may not be perfect but I LOVE it. the color, the "defects". LOVE!!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all this weekend. :) That color is great and I love how you added a shelf. :)

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love the dresser and color. Hope your opening weekend was great! I was thinking about you and sending you good wishes mentally lol. I haven't been on the blogs and I am catching up! I have tried milk paint for the first time and I have some Webster's to try too! Don' work too hard!

Hetty said...

I think the color is great! yes, it certainly has lots of charm.

Restyled Vintage said...

Well that dresser colour is RIGHT up my alley and I am not kidding when I say that is my favourite of all the creations I've ever seen you do. those knobs with the tiny beads are just gorgeous, that colour, well you know how I feel about that, and the shape of the dresser, especially the piece along the bottom, just divine!

xx Karen

Andrea said...

You gave that imperfect dresser the perfect makeover. I love those knobs and the shelf at the top is brilliant! Perfect is overrated anyway, right!

Andrea said...

You gave that imperfect dresser the perfect makeover. I love those knobs and the shelf at the top is brilliant! Perfect is overrated anyway, right!

Jill said...

I think it is perfect! Love the color, amazing job!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

Hi Sheila! This was originally an oops paint, so I can't tell you exactly what color- sorry!

Sheila said...

Thanks Cassie! Was hoping the formula was on the can. It's the perfect color for my table makeover!

Thanks anyway.
Sheila.

Jane Craske said...

EEE! I love it even more without the other drawer.

pocketfulofjoules.com said...

Very pretty and I love the new knobs! I have the same (or a similar) little owl at my house too! =)

Simone said...

Very nice, love those door knobs.

stellar junk said...

Holy Moly Cassie! I just love this little piece! As a fellow furniture makeover giver over at Stellar Junk, I freaking having all the color options that Websters gives me! Your little piece is awesome, and you are one talented lady. I think I would have steered clear of that "before" shot piece! What an ugly little thing that was!
Great job!
Jess

Jenna LaFevor said...

I love, love, love it!! That green color is gorgeous! Pinning! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://rainonatinroof.com/2013/07/give-me-the-goods-monday-link-party-16/
Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Brooke Larsen said...

I love this color! You always do an amazing job Cassie!!

I would love for you to come link up to my Paint Party going on now http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/07/paint-party.html
Hope to see you there

Brooke

Start @ Home

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

wow love the color and hope the kids had fun at the aquarium!!! ;)

Good Time Charlie said...

This is just so adorable and I love the knobs your chose for it. I love that there is a product available to transform latex paint to a fab chalk paint. The after doesn't look anything like the before! Good luck with this week getting ready, I am sure it will be a HUGE success with that piece going fast!

Pam Jackson said...

Turned out great...fantastic job.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

hi Cassie - this is just beautiful. I love it with the shelf in and I am sure it is sold already for you. such a beautiful fun colour. Fiona x

Petticoat Junktion said...

Love this makeover Cassie. The knobs really make it!