Friday, July 5, 2013

Glossy Black Mirror and Some 4th And July Adventures!

Happy Friday!  Hope you all had an awesome 4th of July!  I wanted to share Emmy's "4 and July" wishes with you.

This is the reason for the title of my post....  Emmy calls it "4th and July".

And this one I am not so sure of... It's clearly her hand, but why is only the middle finger blue?  What's the message, Em?


Anyhow, I used the day to catch up... I cleaned the house (I can't seem to function when there is too much chaos around me), and finished up some projects that I needed Chris home for.  I had to use my electric saws, and I don't like to do that when I am home alone, in case I sever my arm and bleed out and die and no one but the buzzards find me for hours  because it is dangerous.  Chris entertained the kids with water balloons and a soccer game.  We spent some time the last two evenings grilling, catching fireflies and picking veggies from our garden.  Oh, and we also went blueberry picking the other day- we picked about 6 pounds, and I am fairly certain I have already eaten 4 pounds.  I can't help myself!  Before I get to the mirror I thought I would share some fun snippets from the last couple days.

This is just one of our buckets of berries.  Sawyer didn't want to be in the picture (He was filthy- covered in dirt and blueberry stains- from rolling around the blueberry patch!)  Emmy created her own style here, so don't mind the accent which came from her Jasmine costume.


That evening we caught fireflies as a family; even Jake joined in the fun!

I think Jake was in search of deer instead... See that hunting pose?

And this picture cracks me up- typical Sawyer running by!

We gathered what few veggies we have grown so far, including this giant zucchini.  And yes, Chris and I had plenty of jokes at the zucchini's expense.  What can I say?  Give a girl a glass of wine and a large zucchini and the jokes are gonna fly!

Anyhow, on to today's little project.  I found this mirror at a yard sale recently and loved the pretty details.



I thought it would look fabulous in a bathroom, and wanted to give it a more modern look.  But I didn't want to have to sand all those details, so I did what any lazy diy'er would do.  I used Annie Sloan in graphite as a primer.  It worked like a charm!  After that I applied just one coat of Rustoleum's Gloss Enamel oil based paint in black.  With the graphite underneath one coat was all it needed.  Here it is now....


Wouldn't it look elegant in a white bathroom with a black and white tile floor?  So crisp and clean!

I hope you all have an awesome weekend!  I am super excited because my kids are headed to my parents this weekend!  Tonight Chris and I will head to family fun night at the neighbors for a cookout theme.  I am bringing pineapple to grill and an amazing blueberry corn salad one of our vendors brought to the vendor potluck a couple weeks ago.  I will try to get some photos and share the recipe with you.  Saturday I am headed out to find me some junk!  And then Chris and I are going to head to first Saturday in downtown Frederick, followed by a late dinner double date with my business partner and friend, Sarah, and her husband at the wine kitchen.  Looking forward to it very much!  Sunday we will pick up the kids and have a late lunch with my parents... it's going to be a fantastic weekend.  I can feel it.
Photobucket

28 comments:

Robin @ Happily Home, After said...

kiddos, too cute.
veggie, too funny
mirror, so smart using ASCP as a primer! I have a mirror with lots of scrolls and fretwork that I've wanted to paint but just dismiss cause it would take too much effort. Might be borrowing your idea / tip :)

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Happy 4th of July Cassie, glad you've had a lovely family day. I was thinking the other day about painting something first with ASCP and then using other paint on top (it was a porcelain thing) and i thought that was a great solution. your mirror turned out beautifully. what a lovely shape.
Fiona x

Allison@FabRehab said...

Great mirror and I'm LOL about the wine and cucumber. Can I have your hair? So shiny and pretty! Happy 4th!

The Far Fifty said...

Happy 4th and July! Ha, that's cute! Looks like you enjoyed your holiday!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Sounds like you had a fun 4th! Those blueberries look so yummy! Love the mirror - very sophisticated! Enjoy the weekend!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Oh the zucchini made another appearance!! LOL...what a great holiday :) Love love love the black mirror. I need to find one for my entry way...no luck yet! Have a great weekend C! xo Kristin

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

Blueberry heaven!! And that zucchini... well, it speaks for itself doesn't it? ;-)
Enjoy your weekend, Cassie!
xo Heidi

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

Perfect! I have always thought that chalk paint would make an amazing primer! Now I know! Happy 4th and July to you! Life to the full! Melissa

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Genius idea using AS as a primer! It would never have crossed my mind. I will remember it and if an opportunity arises will suggest it to my in house "General Contractor" MC.
The kids are precious....I enjoy your family adventures so very much.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

I am with you on the blueberries...I could eat 4 pounds of them too. And...I had no idea you could actually catch Fireflies. I seriously thought that was just a movie thing. I don't think I've ever even seen a Firefly in my area - it's probably too cold! And lastly...the mirror is fantastic, yes, I can totally see it in a bathroom.

Have a great weekend.

Julia Konya said...

Love the mirror and sounds like you will have a fabulous weekend. Have lots of fun!

Bliss said...

I am almost afraid to say that I love zucchini and tell all my friends that plant them to put me on the list for giveaways.
Bliss

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Happy 4th and July weekend, friend!! xo

Vintage Prairie Style said...

cassie - i love the blue middle finger - i almost fell off my chair when i saw that. i hope you keep it forever!
keya

Ali Richardson said...

Love all the pics of your cute kiddos. And that Zucc....don't get me started. Pretty Mirror. Have a fabulous kid free weekend :) xo

cindy the cottage chick said...

Your kids are adorbs :) Love the mirror...have one I'd like to paint and make into a chalkboard.
Sounds like you have a super fun weekend ahead. Blowing pixie dust your way to find some great junkin' deals!

Twice Nice said...

Beautiful mirror! Blueberry Corn Salad, oh man do share the recipe for that! Have a wonderful weekend.

Becca Berger said...

Oh my gosh, Emmy's pic is so funny! {And very patriotic} Isn't she cute? I am with you on the food and weight gain- holy cow, I ate my weight in BBQ and pie and now I need to work it all off! lol
Of course the mirror is gorgeous- as usual!'xoxo

Catherine said...

Emmy's picture is hilarious, definitely one for the 21st birthday!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Your weekend plan sounds like a blast! And the kiddos will be having so much fun with their grandparents I'm sure. Love the mirror in glossy black….looks very sophisticated!

Dear Emmeline said...

yum! blueberry corn salad sounds delish! you may need to pass on that recipe!

Miss Charming said...

It looks like a fun weekend, Cassie! (I'm waiting for the blueberry corn salad recipe--sounds delicious!) And great tip about using chalk paint as a primer for another paint. I'll have to try it.

Gail Wilson said...

great mirror, love using chalk paint (diy) as a primer! :) from one sort of lazy diy'er to another, I can share that with you.

also love the chair in the other post and the sneak peek! hmmmm sooo cute table!

I have nothing! The rain, rain and more rain is putting a damper on my project time. :(

hope you're enjoying your weekend!
gail

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Love the pics of the kids and the zucchini dd make me laugh, I think it was your grin that did it ;)

Eclectically Vintage said...

I will refrain from bad zucchini jokes!
Kelly

Katie said...

Haha! You two and the zucchini jokes - reminds me of my hubby and me! Glad you guys had a great fourth and July! The mirror looks great!!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That mirror looks great. It could fit in any room. I love it. :)

onlinephduk said...

That was cute 4th and July Ems. One beautiful thing here is that in a very young age, she knows about. It is important that they learn to give importance in having this kind of celebration and time for togetherness. Look at Jake, he also enjoys and free to do his things. We are all glad to be part of this celebration.


My homepage | Online PhD in Nursing