Monday, July 15, 2013

Go Your Own Way Dresser

Happy Monday!  Hope you all had an awesome weekend!  Mine was just what the doctor ordered... Friday evening was spent snuggling on couches (Chris and Emmy on one, me and Sawyer on the other) watching "Oz the Great and Powerful".  I had heard mixed reviews of this movie, but I will tell you, I LOVED it!  The kids loved it, too- very entertaining!

Saturday morning, ont of my awesome partners, Terri, and I headed out to the flea market and found several treasures, and then headed right off to the barn where we met Sarah to start setting up for next weekend's sale.  Summer has all of our schedules slightly off, so we are a little later than I'd like to be in doing so, but it's coming along beautifully.  I shared all the photos from Saturday here on our facebook page, but here's a little peek of the cottage.  Each month the cottage will have a new theme, and htis month it's Summer outdoor entertaining!

Saturday, I also was paid a visit by one of my favorite bloggers, Kirby!  We are now customers of she and her husband (who find some amazing things!), and we are also consigning this GORGEOUS factory cart table that they refinished...

Saturday night, I had a bunch of girlfriends over for a little "map" Wine & Design!  I will share our projects later this week.  The boys were at the Oriole's game, so Emmy got to be one of the big girls for the night, and she was loving it!  Oh, she also helped me a bit at the barn since Chris had to drop her off on the way to the game.  She picked these flowers for me....

Sunday was spent walking with friends, catching up on some projects, and catching up on rest!

Anyhow, I have a fun dresser to share with you today.  I picked this guy up last week at a thrift shop... It was one of those pieces that was nothing special, so I thought paint would make a world of difference....

I gave it a light sanding, sanding he top a little more as it was rough to begin with.  I then painted it with two coats of General Finishes in Lamp Black.  Once that dried, I taped off the first part of my design and painted inside the tape with General Finishes in Antique White.

I made a stripe going down, and then made a perpendicular stripe across the top.  I taped off a triangular arrow a the end of each of these stripes, and stenciled the words of a favorite song "Go Your Own Way" on the top two drawers.

I peeled off all of the tape, and gave it a good thorough distressing as I wanted the design to look more on the rustic side.  I gave it a coat of General Finishes Satin Finishing Wax and allowed that to dry.  I buffed it with 0000 grade steel wool (which I find works well only on black), added some fun mercury glass knobs, and that was that.  Here it is now!  And no, I didn't move it from in front of the garage, because as small as it is, this thing is solid maple and is a beast to move!





This dresser is sort of out of my comfort zone... But Sarah and I had talked about bumping up the quirk factor at Sweet Clover and bringing in some funkier pieces now and again.  I thought I'd give it a whirl... What do you think?



Photobucket
Sharing here:

By Stephanie LynnDIY Show OffMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaElizabeth and Co.The 36th AvenueLilyfield Life 741302_10151387329451013_1242776520_oThe Shabby NestFurniture Feature FridaysPhotobucket

45 comments:

Kirby Dunton Carespodi said...

Thanks, Cassie! It was great seeing you again!

Catherine said...

Love it Cassie! I'm half way through a set for Harry and stripes is just what it needs. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Julia Konya said...

I think it is awesome and you did a fabulous job. This has to be one of my all time favorites!
The coffee table is great too.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

So creative, Cassie!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

I am singing that in my head now...no who am I kidding...I am singing it out loud! Love this dresser!! I love how you make each piece of furniture you paint truly unique :) xo Kristin

The Painted Drawer said...

LOVE it!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I think that's a great dresser for a boy's room! I could so see that in a PB catalog! ... Sounds like an awesome weekend! Have fun getting the barn ready. And keep cool!

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

I love that you are bumping up the quick factor! The dresser is awesome. I am sure it will be outta there in no time.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Cassie, I totally love that quirk factor - it's what sets a piece apart and I think you should definitely bring more into sweet clover! I could see this dresser in one of my boy's rooms and think it's so cool!

Bliss said...

I think I like it. Uh huh uh huh.

Bliss

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

You made a frog into a very FUN PRINCE!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Very cute and fun! Gotta love the quirk ;-)

Shelley | Crazy Wonderful said...

That song is stuck in my head now :D What a fun dresser! You do quite well when stepping out of your comfort zone!

Jesse Bodine said...

I love this dresser...as soon as I saw it on IG, I actually said "awww" out loud. I was on a plane so it got a few heads to turn and when I showed them, they, too, did the same thing! You may have a few new stalkers...;)

Rita said...

I think I absolultey LOVE it! And even if it's out of the norm for you, it still fits with the look anf feel of the shop. Beautiful :)

Vintage Prairie Style said...

Pretty cute. It would be so great in a boy's room... That factory cart is so nice too - can't wait to see pics of the barn all ready for the next sale!
Keya

Dear Emmeline said...

I think it's really cute and would be especially perfect in a boys room!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Emmy is so cute. And I love the dresser! I'm gonna have that song in my head all day now. :)

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

How fun! (One of my favorite songs too!)

Simone @simonedesignblog.com said...

Hi Cassie, loved it. The dresser is so cute and such a clever idea.

Shannon Barefoot said...

Gorgeous transformation!! Can't wait to see what you do next :)

Allison said...

Fun dresser and it would be cute in a boy's room! Love the photo of Emmy. She is adorable and really growing up! Hope you had a great Monday Cassie.

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

Ahhh you are so lucky that Kirby visited you!! I'd love to meet her.

I love this piece and enjoy seeing you bump it up girl! It's fun and as I always say...it's just paint and if it doesn't sell than it can be changed later :) But, I think it'll go!

Kelly said...

We just watched "Oz the great and powerful" last night! Very entertaining. That dresser is so sassy. He knows what he wants and he doesn't care what anyone thinks. LOVE it!

cindy the cottage chick said...

Just awesomesauce! I could see it in a teen boys room, or even an urban family room. What a great finish :)

Dana Frieling said...

I love that you're adding the funk! Before I read that part I was thinking, "That's totally the type of quirky piece I'm always looking for!"

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

Love this makeover! What a fun piece and I love that pic of your girl with the flowers - needs to be framed for sure!

Ali Richardson said...

I love it :) I think it is super unique and cool. Love you friend, sounds like you had a happy weekend. xo

Jamie said...

thanks for the earworm! that piece is so cool and I think people will love seeing something a little edgier or quirkier at sweet clover. I'm really hoping I finish up my job this week so I can get out there Sunday!

Courtney said...

love me some quirky!! this is awesome and if it doesn't sell soon...I may just have to fly over and purchase it myself ;-)

Gretchen said...

Love it! I'm all about bumping up the quirk factor :)

Brandi said...

Love your dresser makeover. How creative to add the words to the song that I love! The picture of your daughter is so very precious.

Jocie Hagan said...

Saw this on FB and LOVED it!!! sharing now!

creativedominican said...

Saw this on Elizabeth and Co. I love it. Have a great week.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

one of my favourite songs also. this is very quirky and cute. looks great
hope it sells well for you
cheers Fiona x

Petticoat Junktion said...

Cassie, you are so creative. love this

Jenna LaFevor said...

Love it! Such a simple dresser turned into something amazing! I'm totally singing Fleetwood Mac's song right now! Pinning! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Cathy Compeau said...

I love this! I want to go buy an old dressar just to make this!
I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Tuesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Cathy

Chelsea @ Making Home Base said...

Absolutely love this beautiful dresser! So creative and completely transformed. It doesn't even look like the same piece. Great job. Pinning!

sew sweet vintage said...

LOVE the song and LOVE your dresser:) Pinned! I posted anchor dress. Stop by

Good Time Charlie said...

This is not only so cute, but so clever!! I am such a sucker for graphic looking things on furniture. This is fab!

Good Time Charlie said...

PS I can't stop singing the Fleetwood Mac song now. Not that that is a bad thing. I better stop thinking about it or more of their music will make a home in my head for the next few days.

Erin @ His and Hers said...

I'm just now seeing this...and I LOVE it! Seriously fabulous with the finish, color, knobs, and stencil!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

I love how paint and clever design can turn something ugly into something fabulous. I'm all about quirk, so I think the colors and design you chose is just super!