Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Emmy's New Sunshine Yellow Dresser

Did you love the Brady Bunch?  I loved the Brady Bunch.  I saw it in syndication, but I loyally watched it as a middle schooler and one of my favorite episodes was Amateur Night where the family sang, "It's a Sunshine Day."  Let's review the lyrics, shall we?  Sing along if you know the tune...

i think i'll go for a walk outside now
the summer sun's callin my name
(i hear ya now)
i just can't stay inside all day
i gotta get out get me some of those rays
everybody's smilin
sunshine day
everybody's laughin
sunshine day
everybody seems so happy today
it's a sunshine day

Now, several of you comment on my photos of Emmy that she seems like such a happy care-free child.  Let me tell you, she really is... she's a free spirit and an individual.  Her cup is half full, and she sees sunshine even when it's raining outside.  It's only fitting that she should want her room "sunset colors with aqua" because it suits her cheerful disposition.  Currently, she has a gray dresser in her room.  Gray, people.  What was I thinking?  Was I trying to rain on her parade, dim her light?  Clearly, that needed changing in the way of a bright and happy new dresser, one that reflected the sunshine she carries around within her.

I found this dresser via freecycle several months ago, and it was missing the piece that divides the top drawers from the bottom three drawers.  About a month after I picked it up, I got an email that the piece had been found, so I picked it up, but still the dresser sat waiting for love.  Finally, I made my move over the last week or so.  Here is where it started- circa 1950's blond finish....

I filled holes, sanded it down, glued the missing piece back into place and also secured the loose side panels.  I primed it with 3 coat of Zinnser water based low VOC primer, and then painted 4 coats (yellow is so tricky!!!!) of Pantone's Dandelion, left over from last year when I painted a gossip bench.  I did all that this weekend and then waited on knobs until I could get to Hobby Lobby where knobs have always been 50% off.  I headed there yesterday to pick up some fun knobs, and GUESS WHAT?!?!  They have changed that rule and now they are occasionally on sale, and not this week, but next.  GAH!  Well, I wanted to be able to share this with you today, so I headed home and decided I would sift through what I had.

Emmy helped me go through the knobs I had on hand.... I had nothing in a set of 10... lots of pairs.  We decided to give it a quirky knob look, 3 pairs on the bottom 3 drawers, and a set of 4 on the top two drawers.  Emmy and I ended up really loving the fun result.  What do you think?  I think it's perfect for an eclectic and happy girl's space.




Can't wait to get it into her room, and I have something so fun to hang over it- can't wait!

Now get out there and have yourself a sunshine day!
Photobucket
Sharing here:

The 36th AvenueMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaEmbracing Change The Shabby NestFurniture Feature Fridays

47 comments:

Julia Konya said...

This German here never watched the Brady Bunch but I heard lots about it ;)
I love the dresser like I said on IG and really can't believe that they don't do 50% off knobs anymore, such a bummer. I can't wait to see it in her room.

The Far Fifty said...

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Perfect for your little ray of sunshine!

Tara said...

I love the yellow! I'm kinda glad the knobs weren't on sale, because I'm loving the eclectic look, it's so fun, especially for a little girls room.

Jesse @ Scout & Nimble said...

Love the bright and cheery dresser...sounds like it will be the perfect color for Emmy! And I was so sad when I read that Hobby Lobby has changed it's rules. Boo Hobby Lobby...boo for making us plan our shopping trips for the items we need! ;) I supposed I still love that store, though...so I will let it slide. ;) Love the knobs that you used here so apparently it was a good thing that HL changed their knob sales!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Now that is a bright and happy dresser! Just perfect for a sweet and carefree little girl! I hope Emmy never loses that sunny outlook on life!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Oh, I LOVE it!
The yellow is PERFECT!
Now the knobs!
SEE HOW MUCH FUN DIFFERENT KNOBS CAN BE!!!!
I love that I have been doing it for years in my kitchen. Now friends and family are gifting me with knobs from trips and they will all have "stories"!
Love being ODD!

decorumdiyer said...

It looks great and I think that the 'no sale' at Hobby Lobby was meant to be. The knobs your settled upon are perfect! As for the "Brady Bunch", great show. It will always be a part of my childhood and I often sing that song on sunny days.

michelle@decorandthedog said...

I will be singing that song all day now. Which I have zero problems with. I will send my coworkers in your directions because they may not be so happy with you. ;)

I don't really know Emmy. I mean, I feel like I do but I can totally see that dresser being a perfect fit!

Dana Frieling said...

So, so, so, so precious! It screams happy sunshine. I'm glad Hobby Lobby forced you to use what you have because it's adorable!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Happy happy color and knobs!! I can't wait to see it in her room!

pam {simple details} said...

I would race home from school to watch it! :) I remember a boy asking if he could walk me home and I said, 'Sure, but we have to hurry so I can watch The Brady Bunch!" he never asked again. :) LOVE that you've captured Emmy's sunny outlook in the dresser makeover!

Good Time Charlie said...

So cute!! I too am a big yellow lover. I can relate to Emmy. I used to sing this song about sunshine as a kid all the time. Life should always be that way! Love the mix of knobs, my style. Our hobby lobby opened yesterday!!! Oh my, it was almost a religious experience for me. It was that good.

Rita said...

I think EVERYONE should have a little "Emmy" in their life! This dresser looks perfect with the different knobs and I think it suites her perfectly!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love your description of Emmy and her beautiful little spirit!! And this dresser could not be more sunshiney and fun, with it's pretty knobs to top it off!! Just lovely, Cassie!

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Perfect for your happy girl! Love those knobs :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What a fun piece! Love the bright and colorful knobs.

bonniegetchell said...

It's so pretty and cheerful-- I love it!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

The Painted Drawer said...

Gorgeous piece for your little sunshine :)

Vintage Prairie Style said...

love it, it's the perfect perky yellow.

Our Pinteresting Family said...

What a lucky girl! It's so cute, and I really like the hardware you added.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I love it! That yellow is spot on.

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

Fun color Cassie!! Yellow is such a happy color! xo Kristin

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno said...

Such a happy, fun color!!

Gretchen said...

Did I love the Brady Bunch?! I've read "Growing Up Brady," by the guy who played Greg, three times! Great job on the dresser--those knobs are perfect!

Ali Richardson said...

It's SO happy :) I love it. I too was a Brady Buncher. I could sing that song all day :)

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

I think the best things are often a happy accident! Love how it turned out. BB was my favorite, I was just telling the kids the other day that they need to see some more!

Haley said...

I've been drawn towards yellow lately so I really like this. the sunset + aqua theme sounds cute.

If Hobby Lobby doesn't have enough knobs, they will raincheck the price and make sure they get enough for you. I had to do that when I needed 20 knobs for a dresser.

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

I LOVE the mismatched knobs - they are perfect...and 7 coats of paint. YIKES! I will stop complaining about my three that I have been having to do.

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

hi Cassie - it's lovely - you can see that the paint job is lovely even from the photos. Perfect for your sunshine girl.
Fiona xx

Erin @ His and Hers said...

So cheerful! Much better than gray for a girl who sounds like she is full of happiness :)

Upscale Downhome said...

So happy and fun...just like Emmy. Love the knobs!

Deanne Langford said...

the colour is so pretty and the knobs are just gorgeous!

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

It was meant to have those knobs! They make it even more cheery. Love the yellow. (And yes, I grew up with Brady Bunch!)

Stacey Remiker said...

just darling! love the knobs and the color is perfect!!

Storywood Designs said...

I think it's adorable...especially with the mix and match knobs. They remind me of the tufted chair from World Market I think... with the mult-colored buttons on the back tufting. So cute... and so lucky you are to have such a happy little girl!

Dear Emmeline said...

So cute! I'm sure she's in love with it!

Shelley | Crazy Wonderful said...

TOTALLY suits her!!! That is one great yellow - thank God, because 4 coats, holy moly! And I think the mixture of knobs is definitely what makes it extra special. And you can be like, "It's in the drawer with the striped knobs!".

ingrid@nowathomemom said...

Gorgeous, I love it Cassie! :-) I love the bright & fun color! I've used yellow in my house because it makes me very happy too! :-) it's perfect for your little sunshine! & yep! I remember this song ;-)

Mrs. DeVore said...

The yellow was a perfect choice! Love those pretty knobs too!

Sarah {Lacquer and Linen} said...

I just love all the bright pieces you are finding for her room! She must love waking up in such a cheerful room!!

cindy the cottage chick said...

I LIVED for Brady Bunch. Jumpers and knee socks, just like Jan and Marsha (although because I'm Cindy, I had a soft spot for Cindy on the show).

GREAT dresser! How fun! Your girl is a lucky duck that her momma started painting furniture while she could still put it in her room :) My girls have to pay for my pieces, lol.

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

Love all the fun knobs too! Such a happy dresser now!

Becca Berger said...

I actually really adore the knobs! I think they make the piece. A happy accident?
xo Becca

Rhonda Kueck said...

We love what you have done. You should come party with us tonight! Show off your stuff and start the weekend with a party.
http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/09/craft-frenzy-friday-3.html

Katie said...

LOVE the bright yellow! So perfect for Emmy - especially with the eclectic knob look! Can't wait to see where you put it!

Amber Wills said...

Those knobs are adorable!

Restoration House Interiors said...

that dresser is scrumptious, Cassie! Thanks for sharing!